Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Just now, RollinLower said:

yes, he does look pretty loud.

what was a system like this used for in it's day?

I believe this one was used to run the railroad system here.  I believe they had four of them.

2 minutes ago, p13 said:

I believe this one was used to run the railroad system here.  I believe they had four of them.

16KW in a single server room? i imagine that got quite toasty 😛

tough i bet atleast one of them was for redundancy?

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

16KW in a single server room? i imagine that got quite toasty 😛

tough i bet atleast one of them was for redundancy?

Heh, i used to run a hosting company.  16KW in one room really isn't much at all.

They ran them on VMS.  VMS has amazing clustering capabilities.  They ran them all as active nodes.

This machine also has 16 NICs installed.  I don't know why, though.

Oldest and tiniest harddrive I own. Pulled from a iMac G3 that completely died, hence the apple logo on the drive. A whopping 20.4GB and still working! Date code 0111 corresponds to 2000-07-05

20200322_193240_-_Copy.jpg

On 3/22/2020 at 3:42 AM, LunaP0n3 said:

Oldest and tiniest harddrive I own. Pulled from a iMac G3 that completely died, hence the apple logo on the drive. A whopping 20.4GB and still working! Date code 0111 corresponds to 2000-07-05

20200322_193240_-_Copy.jpg

That's crazy. A Seagate from the last decade (or a little more). Logos used to be more visible on OEM products, now they put a letter only somewhere in most cases, on the SN or model number indicating the company initial.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Was bored and decided to delid one of my boards this morning.
No worries, it was a dead one to start with so no loss here. 😁

Actually I'm was using it to test and setup things for this kind of work, still have a few at least to mess with to get all the parameters right. Removed the IR setup and converted the station to a hot air setup, hence the tube in the IR lamp holder but still using the bottom IR heater.

DSCF5548.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Was bored and decided to delid one of my boards this morning.
No worries, it was a dead one to start with so no loss here. 😁

Actually I'm was using it to test and setup things for this kind of work, still have a few at least to mess with to get all the parameters right. Removed the IR setup and converted the station to a hot air setup, hence the tube in the IR lamp holder but still using the bottom IR heater.

DSCF5548.JPG

What a nice way to spend free time. 😎

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

3 hours ago, Shigeru said:

Amazing1 New to the forums but I have a nice collection of old hardware so... will try to post something later! :D

No pictures, never existed! That's the rule. 😄😄😄

5 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

What a nice way to spend free time. 😎

More than that, it's actually for the purpose of fixing a board I messed up last year prepping it for LN2 use. I'm just using a few dead boards to get the setup working right and make sure all is ready for the real work to come.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

Being there isn't really a vintage thread in the gaming console section hope you guys don't mind.  I have internal shots at least :)  My old Atari 2600 I got working again over the winter.  Had to replace the RF modulator and upgraded to composite video.

IMG_20181125_231610905.jpg

IMG_20181125_234123949.jpg

IMG_20181125_233337631.jpg

55 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

Being there isn't really a vintage thread in the gaming console section hope you guys don't mind.  I have internal shots at least :)  My old Atari 2600 I got working again over the winter.  Had to replace the RF modulator and upgraded to composite video.

Old computers and consoles are so much easier to work on than modern equivalents.

Edit: A common sight, due to having to frequently unplug the SSD and plug it back in again to get it recognised (or re-recognised). And yes that is a USB 2.0 connector on it:
image.thumb.png.6c6e2d43fec72509736952e874720e93.png

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

More than that, it's actually for the purpose of fixing a board I messed up last year prepping it for LN2 use. I'm just using a few dead boards to get the setup working right and make sure all is ready for the real work to come.

Whuut! Really? So cool, don't forget to post pictures when ready.

23 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

That's crazy. A Seagate from the last decade (or a little more). Logos used to be more visible on OEM products, now they put a letter only somewhere in most cases, on the SN or model number indicating the company initial.

They used to have vendor unique looks as well:

Spoiler

DSCF1368.thumb.JPG.1a91ea5436658b16020a7d94a55934a9.JPG

DSCF1374.thumb.JPG.531ea37a0c7a4dd65e8f0b2382f73d1e.JPGDSCF1370.thumb.JPG.d823bb1209bb42b2cad87b31d9c49bbb.JPG

DSCF1371.thumb.JPG.22346a80be21e008f09b973c134e99db.JPG

DSCF1373.thumb.JPG.fe55efb7ff992f70ba7cc990004bd904.JPG

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Whuut! Really? So cool, don't forget to post pictures when ready.

Could be a little while before I tackle the work but if all goes well you'll see it. 😉

3 hours ago, NoCarrier said:

had a chance to clean up a little during the lockdown..

20200319_212747.thumb.jpg.41e6e9ccda16b97d7bf818ca0bd8b30d.jpg

WOW this a great photo! It looks like some kind of cover or something...

59 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

😂

image.png.67ba807bed36b5ae8de2996ffcb21760.png

Would love to see some retro bare hard drives :D

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 3/24/2020 at 12:10 PM, seagate_surfer said:

No pictures, never existed! That's the rule. 😄😄😄

True! So for starters these two old PCI-E video cards since I have them at hand, the GeForce 8400 GS (512 mb, edit, not a 8300 lol) and the GeForce 9600 GSO (768 mb DDR2, loved that card tons of games in my old Dual Core with that one). Will try to recover them and test them a bit, since the coolers were a bit stuck and not used in a long time. Lots of old hardware to share!

20200325_211250.jpg

20200325_211241.jpg

20200325_211216.jpg

20200325_202733.jpg

20200325_202718.jpg

3 hours ago, Shigeru said:

True! So for starters these two old PCI-E video cards since I have them at hand, the GeForce 8300 GS (512 mb) and the GeForce 9600 GSO (768 mb DDR2, loved that card tons of games in my old Dual Core with that one). Will try to recover them and test them a bit, since the coolers were a bit stuck and not used in a long time. Lots of old hardware to share!

Noe we are talking. Cool friend! Thanks for posting.

18 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Noe we are talking. Cool friend! Thanks for posting.

No problem!

And today I present my old PC for testbench parts and tasks like recover information from broken hard drives, not in use since a long time but today was cleaned and puted back together with a few parts laying around, plus the GeForce 8400 GS after cleaning it (functional again! To bad what I was forgeting what that one only have 256 mb of memory on the card and only reachs 512 mb when you have over 1 GB of RAM), more things to post later ;) (a lot really, if there is public for it XD )

Processor:  DualCore Intel Pentium E2160, 1800 MHz

Memory: SuperTalent 512 MB  (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

Motherboard: Biostar P4M890-M7 TE (a couple of capacitor busted but still worklng, so why touch that?)

Video: GeForce 8400 GS

HD: SAMSUNG HD502HJ (500 GB)

Second NIC: an old Intel Pro 100 (found on the trash bin, but works!)

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 753s (that poor thing as see a lot of things, but still working XD )

20200326_100509.jpg

20200326_100937.jpg

20200326_134408.jpg

ConejaE2160.jpg

20200326_100602.jpg

Coneja8400GS.jpg

20200326_103938.jpg