Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

10 hours ago, Rendawg87 said:

I now introduce you to the PCI SOUND BLASTER XFI EXTREME AUDIO EDITION!!!

IF I remember correctly it boasted to have the processing power of a Pentium 4 when processing audio. I can remember running a 3.8MB MP3 into this music enhancer program. If you cranked it the whole way up it made the music file 500+MB in size. 

If anyone likes this I'll make another post with better photos. 

Spoiler

IMG_20190418_195239.jpg

IMG_20190418_195228.jpg

That card has really seen some bad storage ?

59 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Ru trying to say it sitting at the bottom and back of a junk drawer for 3 years is a bad place for it? 

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

That is a very nice case, very nice. The CPU cooler leaves a bit to be desired but is probably fine if it's not overclocked, but the Core2 is so easy to overclock it's like...you just have to. Except probably not with that board, I see zero VRM cooling so pushing more power through the CPU could certainly cause long term damage to the board. Something like a Nvidia Nforce 780sli or 680sli based board would be the cream of the crop for OC'ing a Core2 series CPU

A 980 would be seriously underutilized by that computer, a 550ti is probably fine. I guess the main issue would be the older driver support for modern games, but if you're only playing older titles it'll be a non issue, that CPU is a little skimpy these days anyway.

The case is solid aluminum, but somehow still weighs a jillion pounds. Iol

On 4/11/2019 at 6:43 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

The good old days when GPU designs were a lot more.... frisky.

20190411_174038.jpg

How the heck does that thing cool the GPU? Isn't the fan supposed to be on the other side!? (Also, that cute little heatsink strip for the VRAM modules. :)

Love,

Mother Fawkes

4 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

I have a SoundBlaster Live card, was completely clean! Despite the fact I yoinked it out of an XP computer in the trash...

Love,

Mother Fawkes

4 hours ago, Jorrdanna said:

The case is solid aluminum, but somehow still weighs a jillion pounds. Iol

I know, right? My Coolermaster Stacker whatever is an absolute unit, all aluminum and plastic bezels. Weighs a bunch somehow! It even came with wheels so I could roll it around, yeah right!

I feel ya on the spinup sound of a bunch of hard drives, whir click hum, there is just a certain tactile pleasure. I'm getting old but it's like turning the key to start a car, push buttons just don't generate that good feeling and feedback. Silent computers with SSD drives are great but I love it when I hear the storage drive spin up in my HTPC.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I feel ya on the spinup sound of a bunch of hard drives, whir click hum, there is just a certain tactile pleasure. I'm getting old but it's like turning the key to start a car, push buttons just don't generate that good feeling and feedback. Silent computers with SSD drives are great but I love it when I hear the storage drive spin up in my HTPC.

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. While I love making my daily machine as quiet as possible, for my XP/98 rigs I just love hearing the hard drives whirring and thunking away (especially the one in my 98 rig as it's just plain loud).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Listen, that 5.25 inch Quantum BigFoot TX drive of mine has the most satisfying sounds. I'll get a video tonight and put it up.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Listen, that 5.25 inch Quantum BigFoot TX drive of mine has the most satisfying sounds. I'll get a video tonight and put it up.

You had me wet at Bigfoot. I'd kill to get another nice 19.2GB TS like I had before mine died. Thing was a beaut.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

14 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

You had me wet at Bigfoot. I'd kill to get another nice 19.2GB TS like I had before mine died. Thing was a beaut.

This lad is single platter as big as a CD and holds 4GB of slow speed data.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, Bitter said:

I know, right? My Coolermaster Stacker whatever is an absolute unit, all aluminum and plastic bezels. Weighs a bunch somehow! It even came with wheels so I could roll it around, yeah right!

I used to have an iPod Classic, and the feeling of the drive spinning up to change songs was awesome! I miss that lil' device.

Love,

Mother Fawkes

eye candy haha, one pc is running which is AMD phenom II x4 965 black edition and the incomplete one is intel core2 quad q9550, And yes i have 3 HIS hd4870 icq4+ 1Gb

57703324_550240075501869_8292454608639361024_n.jpg

58114951_497157327487523_7418579242377543680_n.jpg

58382700_2832396203651659_4004160394737221632_n.jpg

58373600_1111012295771072_4084111661923827712_n.jpg

59163292_833687960321168_7985972704538787840_n.jpg

I just found a Model M in my closet...but it's broken

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 4/20/2019 at 4:21 PM, alittlepeace said:

Svideo

IMG_20190419_193959.jpg

And a blue anodized heatsink!  I actually kind of miss the colored anodization.  The trend of all black coolers is getting as boring to me as those monochromatic new car lots.?

My latest hunk of junk to play with is this heap, an Old Dell Poweredge2900 that I pinched from the scrap pile at work. For under £35 I've chucked in 2 x Xeon x5365's and upped it to 20GB of 667Mhz DDR2 RAM ?.

It's currently got 5 x 74GB 15k SAS drives in it but I might swap a few of them out and keep two for the OS and then chuck six 2TB SATA drives and use it as a media server or something along those lines. It also has an old DAT72 tape drive, although from looking at the dust inside that drive I don't think it would work even if I wanted it to.

Managed to get it to run Server 2012 after a bit a faffing around so bought it a little more up to date than it's original 2003 R2 install. I initially went to reinstall 2003 but then realised I'd need a floppy disk for the RAID controller drivers so had to jump ahead a bit to the later versions where Windows can deal with that itself. I can't even remember the last time I had floppy disks.

Just run Cinebench R15 and on the multicore score I think it did alright and scored 538, the single core was a pitiful 74 though haha. To put that in perspective my OC i5 8600k at 5Ghz got 1185 for the multi-core and my Skylake era dual-core G4400 only got 247. I know with the two CPU's it's running at 8 cores but for a pair of processors that I picked up for peanuts I think that's pretty respectable.

It's currently running R20 but think it's going to be a while.

Plus I still love the sound old servers make when you fire them up, my cat shit herself when all the fans kicked in and it sounded like it was gonna take off!

Annoyingly, I can't find anywhere on it to show it's power consumption although I'm going to guess it's probably in the 300W range even when at idle.

20190425_162921.jpg

Gaming Rig: Intel i5 8600k @ 5Ghz (-1 AVX) 1.325v - MSI Z370 Gaming M5 mobo - MSI GTX1070 Gaming 8GB - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2600MHz 4x8GB - CM ML240L RGB 240mm AIO - 240GB NVME, 480GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD - Corsair RM750x PSU - Silverstone PM02

Media Server: Intel G4400 - MSI Z270 Gaming Plus - 4GB RAM - 600GB WD Raptor - 10TB RAID5 - CM HAF932

Surface Pro 4: Intel i7 6650U - 8GB RAM - 256GB SSD

Dell Latitude E6530: Intel i7 3520M - 8GB DDR3 - Nvidia NVS 5200M 1GB - 300GB HDD

NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 4TB 

It's amazing how much faster new stuff is. My x3470 scores in that range while a 65w it 4590S scores the same range. So it's a huge jump in power use and processor power.

I'm using an S5 as my daily phone, I have a few S3s and 2 google nexus phones from when they teamed up with Samsung. I also have a Nokia Lumia phone, if that's considered old. really all of these aren't really old...

Do flip phones count as old? Because I have 3.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

17 hours ago, Bitter said:

I can make anything fit on anything!

oh oh oh! A ryzen on am3?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!