Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

32 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

I  would condense posts but I'm on mobile and snipping is a pain

my corsair 400mhz ddr has leds, get on my level ?

the aesthetics of the time were shiny and chrome, I even have a chrome psu to go with my brushes aluminum case from 2000

before leds were common in everything the idea was to make everything shiny and reflective for cathodes to shine off of 

I have some OCZ platinum and gold ddr2

but ddr2 is a whole other ordeal with weird ram designs 

Aint that the truth. I still have a chromed out Mushkin 550w PSU I used in that thing. ?

image.png.84a58dba7e1bae59bdffba767b926bf4.png

8 hours ago, Genwyn said:

ive got this thing from 2004

UV green with led fans, shiny titanium finish

Heck ya! Reminds me of the Apevia one I had

Image result for see through power supplyImage result for see through power supply

Edit: for a while you could still buy them but can't find them for sale anymore :( https://www.newegg.com/apevia-iceberg-atx-ib680w-bl/p/N82E16817148028

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

6 minutes ago, James Evens said:

@iHardware Shelden there is one for sale on ebay US.

I got one for a build a did a while back but I don't think it worked with my GTX 280 or something of that nature, this is the system, had the light up RAM cooler and everything :( Nvidia 780i 775 board, all the Jazz but it never worked correctly so it got stripped. Would buy one of those power supplies again for another build though.

InstagramCapture_46a4a7e9-5bbd-4aae-99e7-396adb2efb5f.jpg

InstagramCapture_61c5590b-c8ef-4d0b-8222-745170ac5f0d.jpg

InstagramCapture_63adb623-845b-4d16-8a0d-1ed106fafb42.jpg

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

11 hours ago, Genwyn said:

kinda strange how that evolved over time, my Thinkpad 380ED from 1997 only supports 96mb of ram and that was an insane quantity back then

Then you move up another year to 1998 and my ProSignia 165 supported 192MB (64MB onboard + 128MB stick), but I bet you could shove more into it than that. Mine's only got 128MB in it right now though. ?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

20 hours ago, Genwyn said:

ive got this thing from 2004

UV green with led fans, shiny titanium finish

IMG_3328.JPG

It's... it's... it's just perfect. Why doesn't anyone have the courage to make parts like this anymore. ?

I got some neat stuff today. 2x 9800GT single slot 1GB, one is a BFG and one is a PNY XLR8 special edition 9800GT, a Pentium D HP tower and a dented unknown tower that feels very light. I need to blow them out at work, they're too dirty to bring in the house. Also some kind of stereo but it also is so dirty and smells so badly.

How do I get the smell of squalor and cat urine from wood?

Once the parts and computers are cleaned up and inventoried anyone interested in the cards? They're nothing I need so if they work for sale they go!

Anyone want the board and unknown CPU? I have no want of it.

HP tower has a couple DVD drives I'll keep. Nothing else of use to me. The OEM tower cooler looks neat but 775 is the wrong mount pattern for 115x so no joy there.

IMG_20190813_124208.jpg

18 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Anyone want the board and unknown CPU? I have no want of it.

HP tower has a couple DVD drives I'll keep. Nothing else of use to me. The OEM tower cooler looks neat but 775 is the wrong mount pattern for 115x so no joy there.

Damn that's actually a decent board. If I was actually able to cover shipping + it wasn't retarded I'd totally snag that board + the expansion slot dealio/IO shield.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

16 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Hey Bitter, I'm actually pretty interested in snagging the CPU and cooler (for display) and the graphics card (for my P4 EE retro rig). I'll DM you in a bit.

Replied.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:37 PM, Bitter said:

Does that sticker say it COMES with defects noted on it?

WOW

This was common back then, an "acceptable" number of bad sectors. So noted on the drive. Ditto with the very first gen of LCD panels. up to 10 (IIRC) dead pixels was considered acceptable.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Wait, that's a Socket 478 system right?

That it is.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

Ya know, I've never seen a 478 cooler with heatpipes before except for my Shuttle P4 EE rig. Most of them look like this:

The only tower cooler I could find was a modded cooler not meant for Socket 478 on an overclock.net thread with your old profile name.

There were quite a few, actually. Lots of Dells had heatpiped coolers as well (my 170L DT has a full copper one).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I think you're all mis-reading. The 478 system has a standard Intel cooler, the Pentium D system has a twin tower OEM HP cooler with a fan in the middle *I think* I haven't broken it down yet. I thought the picture embedded between the two parts of the post, sorry for the confusion. When I have time I'll break stuff apart and see what's what and inventory what I have in the basement. Some old stuff I want to keep, some I want to get rid of. Anything I want to get rid of is fair game if shipping can be paid.

i just got these 2 beautiful cards. the left one is a 9800GTX+ and the rigfht one is an 8800GTX. i got them for €25 including shipping. 

i'm not sure what i'm going to do with them. i might build an XP machine soon and then the 8800GTX will go in that, but if i don't they are just for my old gpu collection. 

image0.thumb.jpg.56906f3b7b2a86424c3f60d6af04698c.jpg

when i pulled these out of the box my brother who is 14 saw the graphic on the 9800GTX+ and screamed "FORTNITE".... i've never facehooved so hard in my entire life. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Is it even possible to run an 8800 GTX and 9800 GTX in SLI?

No.

But you could pick up one more of either one and do SLI, provided the board supports it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Bitter said:

For the true XP gaming experience, SLI. You'll love it /s

i'm looking at doing that. i wanna know how old SLI is. newer SLI works well in my experience in supported games (i have a GTX 690 in my main pc) so i wanna try old SLI. 

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

But you could pick up one more of either one and do SLI, provided the board supports it.

i'm looking for a matching 8800GTX so i am gonna try that. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

also @Bitter @Crunchy Dragon i'm getting 2 GTX 280's soon, so i can test SLI with those too. 

Ooh nice!

I've been experimenting with the idea of getting another GTX 780, a bigger PSU, and running SLI on my Ryzen system. Hmm, maybe I'll do that when I get Zen 2. I've got plans for my current Ryzen system minus the storage and GPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, Genwyn said:

Older SLI is usually a lot easier, a lot more visual with the drivers and utilities to use it. Not just clicking a box and hoping for the best.

I've been meaning to SLi either my 8800GTs or my quadro fx 4600's

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

dammit do both!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

1254244846_MyA20001998.png.0cb25350b0dd38fc610857b8130d4e4e.png

This is not a specific component or part but it is definitely retro. I was a fan of Commodore Amiga computers and I didn't move to Windows until 2007. I didn't get many pictures of my old systems since digital cameras were still in their infancy and were pretty expensive. But I did get a picture of my Amiga 2000 in 1998 in a digital format by getting a Kodak Photo CD when I sent in this roll of film to get developed. (So this picture is a retro artifact on its own.) I was experimenting with using those as one way to get digital pictures onto my computer since my CD-driver software had support for the Kodak disks and format.

As I stated, this was my Amiga 2000 in 1998. For those familiar with the platform, I had upgraded it with a DKB Megachip 2000/500 board and the 2 MB Agnus--this increased Chip RAM, a shared memory space that the CPU and Custom chips could directly access, from 1MB to 2MB--the max that Amiga hardware could address. You could add Fast RAM, that could be much larger, which was where most of your work was done. I also had the Super Denise upgrade chip that upgraded my graphic chipset from the OCS (Original Chip Set) graphics to the ECS (Enhanced Chip Set) graphics which allowed more native screenmodes and also allowed me to easilly change from NTSC to PAL via software.

Also added by me was the Kickstart 3.1 ROM. Commodore had some of the OS on a chip--just enough to allow the computer to boot up off of floppy or HD. I was running Workbench 3.1 and later worked my way up to OS 3.9, the last update from the inheritors of Commodore until a recent release from Hyperion of OS 3.1.4--yeah, that version number is kinda screwy.

Now these chips originally sat in my old A500--the A500 was all self contained with a built-in keyboard and floppy drive. Since it and the A2000 came out at the same time, they shared many of the same parts. The A500 was more of a home/game machine while the A2000 was a classic desktop of the time with room for internal expansion cards. (The A500 was quite upgradable but that is a whole story of its own.) So when I had a second-hand A2000 drop in my lap, the upgrade was well worth it.

One last shared item was my accelerator, a Supra Turbo 28--a 28MHz 68010 that is as basic of an accelerator as you can get. It suffered from not having a spot for added Fast RAM but it was a big upgrade from the 7.16MHz (NTSC) Morotola 68000. On the A500 it was in an enclosure that plugged onto the side of the computer. If you remove it from its case and set a jumper, you could plug it into the processor slot on the motherboard. The A2000 had the base 68000 CPU soldered onto the mobo, but when you plugged an accelerator into the slot, it took over.

To run that external SCSI CD-ROM drive, I had an A2091 SCSI card in there that had the capacity for me to add RAM, but I didn't add it to this card since it would have conflicted with a larger 8MB RAM expansion (A2058) I had in there. I did have an Individual Computers Buddha IDE board to run my 2GB internal hard drive--which I had paid too much for earlier when it was installed in my A500.

That beefy floppy drive is the classic Amiga 1010. That modem was a Supra FAXModem 28.8--a real workhorse modem that I was just a little sad to let go when I upgraded to faster modems. I did do a fair amount of logging into some of the remaining dialup BBS' that were still around. I could also go on to the Internet, but it wasn't until I got my Picasso IV graphics card for my A4000/040 where I could see things in full color. The Monitor was a Commodore 1080, a great monitor that you could use with the Amiga, C-64 (with the Luma/Chroma video cable if you wanted sharper video, but it could do standard composite video), and C-128 (with the Luma/Chroma and 80-column modes). I believe that the monitor is showing output from a DCTV--an external device that displays high-color pictures via a composite video output. It also works as a slow-scan video digitizer. 

Unfortunately, I no longer have any Amiga hardware. My ultimate dream computer room would not only contain a fast new computer, but I would want to have a retro system or two set up as well. I do have emulation for both the Amiga and the older Commodore 8-bit computers, but there is something about running things on original hardware.

I still have those speakers though and they still sound decent. That device on top of the modem is an external caller ID display.

The pic displayed on the screen is still available on what remains of the Aminet archive. Here it is to save you from a long search

SpaceAmy.jpg.0b271c727738d57b145c7242a1ce34bd.jpg

Edited by The Smokin Deist
Typo squashing and minor clairfication

I'll start with my Sinclair spectrum. Which I still have out for retro gaming moments. 

IMG_20190818_165104.jpg

And my first graphics card. The ATi rage fury MAXX. Had the potential to be an awesome card. But ATi could never make the drivers work with Windows XP.

IMG_20190818_165453.jpg