Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

2 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

I've got a somewhat clapped out softmodded 1.4 for my OG, but the clock cap splooged before I got it and after I finally snipped it off it decided it doesn't want to keep time even when it's still on wall power so as far as I'm concerned it's on borrowed time since that is not normal behavior.

I've also got a Falcon 360 Elite that's in really damn good shape other than the DVD drive being trashed so I ended up yoinking our spare 360E. I'd really like to get one of the matte Slims though as well as another (ideally Falcon) Elite that has the pre-Kinect NXE dash because I love that dash.

I had that before I updated it, wish I hadn't. Still have my Arcade disk that came with it haha

Mine look like this (not my pics) 

Image result for xbox 360 slim

Image result for xbox 360

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

3 hours ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Colgate and Lasagna don't go together but yet it's rare :D 

Image result for colgate lasagna 

That is what I call innovation! ???

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 hour ago, realpetertdm said:

20190628_212500.jpg

And the front ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Trying to get the shelfs behind my desk all setup with my retro tech, the Apple laptops are a 2001 iBook and a 2007 Macbook

WP_20190726_21_13_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20190726_21_13_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20190726_21_12_53_Pro.jpg

On 7/23/2019 at 4:11 AM, campy said:

Oooo Nice!! I've got an SL300 and its still a real nice old beast.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Went to the Pi Store on a day trip to Cambridge. Got this:

4F72B40D-AEBB-40A5-BB35-B13C8D3D5074.thumb.jpeg.42a17ec1174c665cda87144adac3be8c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.4b21e0adb39b0a70dc7d90005bf36e6e.jpg

*drools*

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Not technically a "computer part". But it does use floppy discs

camera.jpg

camera_back.jpg

Edited by Joluch
Forgot to add the picture of the back.

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

Here's an old NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 from 2003 that was laying around in our basement, collecting all the dust it could.

20190729_202714.jpg

fx2.thumb.jpg.1766a62083192c0fc06cc6b12fc5c609.jpg

20190729_202747.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max GPU: ASUS Strix RX5600XT O6G ═ RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2666MHz CL16 ═ PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W ═ Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 ═ SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB M.2 SSD ═ HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ═ Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB

11 hours ago, RollinLower said:

How many shots can you fit on a single floppy?

On full resolution, I think less than 5 depending on the settings and content. Most often though we don't use the highest resolution or settings so we can get at least a reasonable 10-15 pictures per disk, and only use the highest resolution settings when we use it with a memory stick. Either case, you'd have to carry a stack of floppys around with you if you want to make it through the whole day.

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

I'm too lazy to dig it out of the bin (using a pic from a search) but I found one of these in Storage not that long ago. 

DSCF2254.sized.jpg

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

So I ordered some RED ebay LED's and I got sent pink instead, got refunded on them, decided to use one to light the water cooled PC. Currently there is ZERO cable management or wire management going on AT ALL. I don't even have the rear fans I want installed so please PLEASE ignore the mess inside the case. I have a 3 pin fan on the CPU header that's blowing air at the Koolance control board to keep it's transistors cooled down some, I just tapped the LED into the fan power so as the CPU temp goes up and down the LED gets brighter and dimmer. Sadly this LED has a really limited range compared to some other's I've used for case lighting before. The better ones will run at 5V or a little lower so that would have been more ideal for this but I used what I had as spare.

It's pretty stupid but it's kind of neat, took all of 5 minutes to do.

these are parts for an in progress retro build. i'm gonna assemble it tommorow when the PSU i ordered for it arrives :)

excuse the dust. part of assembling will be blowing this stuff off with compressed air. 

863473326_sideview.thumb.jpeg.0889f00623efac17aaf68413231a1d1c.jpegsoundblaster.thumb.jpeg.836bf4f1b39f745979ba4512fe0d593b.jpeggeforce.thumb.jpeg.27142e7324561b0b9fe0a69843b2d4e0.jpegpentium.thumb.jpeg.63b8613328b220ea21ab73a9282f0074.jpegtop.thumb.jpeg.bbb1fcc71e6df8c439cd83eee0154369.jpeg

She/Her

On 7/28/2019 at 7:46 PM, canadianwahoo said:

Powerbook g3  given to me a year or so ago. ?

i love these! does it work still? or is it dead?

She/Her

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

part of assembling will be blowing this stuff off with compressed air.

You could probably scrub it off with ispropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to be more thorough. With super old stuff like that, compressed air is sometimes not always as effective as I'd like.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You could probably scrub it off with ispropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to be more thorough. With super old stuff like that, compressed air is sometimes not always as effective as I'd like.

maybe but i have access to a powerful compressor from my dad's workshop so it's fine. it doesn't need to be insanely clean so... 

She/Her

So, here i am again. I got a PSU for the dual p3 system. I assembled it but i want to use sata hdd's in that as well.

That's where i ran into a problem. since this is a retro topic, i figured you guys know more about the retro stuff so i thought i'd just ask here. I mentioned i have a PCI sata card from Q-tec. I put it in the p3 system but i refuses to boot when it can access a drive connected to it. Without anything connected the card works fine. It gets detected and i can install it. When i connect 1 drive from a raid array it boots and still works (raid-0 array is broken so can't access the drive). But when it's just a single drive or a full array, it just hangs after detecting the drives and array. Just sits there and does nothing.

Any of you ever encountered something like this? Know of any solution for it? I have PATA drives of course but they will break sooner or later and replacements aren't easy to get and i have a sh*tload of sata drives here....

Pics of it assembled coming soon :P, and yes it's still using a single 120mm fan to cool both CPU's ;)

I have no signature

7 hours ago, Genwyn said:

im using Windows Vista Professional 32 bit as my OS now

just because i hate people who talk about "oh the OS is out of date and insecure and micosoft doesnt support it blah blah blah blah"

runs the same as anything else

still shitposts, s'all its gotta do

youtube works fine

32 bit because this is a Core Duo, not a Core2 Duo, the chipset doesnt support more than 3gb of ram even though the bios can address 8gb

People who shit on Vista because "it's bad" are a special type of stupid, honestly. SP1 and especially SP2 just made it more solid.

Unrelated 4K Vista from a VM I did last year to annoy one of said idiots.

image_2018-10-26_23-31-06.png

image_2018-10-26_23-31-56.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

People who shit on Vista because "it's bad" are a special type of stupid, honestly. SP1 and especially SP2 just made it more solid.

Unrelated 4K Vista from a VM I did last year to annoy one of said idiots.

12 hours ago, Genwyn said:

im using Windows Vista Professional 32 bit as my OS now

just because i hate people who talk about "oh the OS is out of date and insecure and micosoft doesnt support it blah blah blah blah"

runs the same as anything else

still shitposts, s'all its gotta do

youtube works fine

32 bit because this is a Core Duo, not a Core2 Duo, the chipset doesnt support more than 3gb of ram even though the bios can address 8gb

I ran Vista Ultimate on my main 3 years ago, loved all the random features it had, had it updated and with the video wallpapers I had a looping vector graphics video so I loved the way it looked. Isn't there some unofficial service packs out for vista already? I know there are huge groups behind XP and Windows 2000 that create unofficial service packs, up till even today AFAIK. 

2 hours ago, iHardware Shelden said:

I ran Vista Ultimate on my main 3 years ago, loved all the random features it had, had it updated and with the video wallpapers I had a looping vector graphics video so I loved the way it looked. Isn't there some unofficial service packs out for vista already? I know there are huge groups behind XP and Windows 2000 that create unofficial service packs, up till even today AFAIK. 

I used Vista SP2 when I still had to daily my 1005HA with a gig of RAM/N270 and it was fine for what it was (this was back when Windows 8 was still in the consumer preview phase). Kept all the eye candy on and it just worked.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

16 hours ago, Genwyn said:

i figured i might as well run windows update

this is a legit copy of vista i bought on disk, i dont have to fear the updates breaking the mstoolkit activation or dazloader or anything like i do on basically every windows 7 system i have

but uhh

gg SSD? i dont even wanna know how much space this is gonna take up when everything is uncompressed

good thing i dont really have any large programs on this

My WSUS image must not have the Ultimate extras or it just has hella compression seeing as it's only like 4 gigs and change... Interesting.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler