Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

I have the loop assembled with some cheap vinyl tube so I don't waste the good silicone tube, air is all purged, water is totally filled, just need to mount the block to the CPU later. I think I'll let it run for over night to make sure it's all working right and working OK. Without a CPU my temps are amazing! Turns out I have a plastic storage container that exactly fits under the legs I made for the Koolance case top, so that's pretty cool. I'm letting the pump live in there just in case of leaks.

43 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I have the loop assembled with some cheap vinyl tube so I don't waste the good silicone tube, air is all purged, water is totally filled, just need to mount the block to the CPU later. I think I'll let it run for over night to make sure it's all working right and working OK. Without a CPU my temps are amazing! Turns out I have a plastic storage container that exactly fits under the legs I made for the Koolance case top, so that's pretty cool. I'm letting the pump live in there just in case of leaks.

So WOW the Koolance control board makes some heat. There's a couple passive heat sinks for a pair of MOFSET and a big transformer on the board too. I need to rig some kind of small quiet fan to get some airflow over the board for longevity sake. I think I have just the fan for the job....if I can find it again.

55 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Originally one of the 3 top fans in my PC2-c that blew air on the fan controller.

Not at all how mine is setup, must be an older iteration.

My case is one of the earlier models, that plastic is long since gone however.

Adding a fan is easy though, I can tap 5V off the Molex coming in with a splitter.

The Koolance case top is up and running cooling the Xeon X3470 at stock clocks. Temps are...about the same as a Hyper 212 would be roughly so far but with a little less noise. There's about a 20C gradient from block/water temp to CPU temp currently but the loop hasn't had time to 'soak' in the heat yet and stabilize. Still running cooler than the P4 3.4E at 4Ghz it was used on before. Temps are about 55C at full Prime95 small fft load, we shall see...

Eh encroaching on 60C one one core, but that core is always the hotter one. The rest are 55-57C. Not great. I think a modern CPU block would work a lot better but...aluminum radiator.

Well, it's settling in around 52-57C, acceptable. I'll have to see how badly it does overclocked later on. Water temp is about 28-30C.

I have an original PhysX card, still in the cellophane in the box, never been opened. If anyone is really interested I can photgraph the box :D.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X · Cooler: Heatkiller IV Pure Copper · Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi · RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 3800MHz CL14 · Graphics Card: AMD HD6970 (RIP RTX3090) waiting for 3090Ti to replace ·Boot Drive: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drives: Samsung 960 EVO 512GB SATA SSD + TeamGroup 512GB M.2 NVME SSD · PSU: Seasonic GX1300 80+ Modular Gold · Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White · Monitor: BenQ 32" 4k @ 60Hz, 2560*1600 @ 120Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB · Mouse: Corsair K55 RGB · Cooling: 5*120mm Wide Radiators, D5 Pump, 14 Fans.

4Ghz is lower than air, at least initially. 70-75C so far with the same load. I'm pretty sure it's this water block. I haven't tuned the voltages down yet at all, 1.328 vcore at 4Ghz, HWinfo is saying the CPU is consuming 340W of power which is just insane. The VRM heat sink and the chokes are just barely warm to the touch, this Gibabyte board is pretty awesome.

do samsung syncmaster 2220wms count as old? because if they are, i have 4 of them

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Just now, Schnoz said:

please do

How?! I'm pushing about 100 watts on a Micro-ATX board and the VRMS are like mini GTX 480s!

Full size ATX board with VRM cooling built like a reactor casing? https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-P55A-UD4P-rev-10#ov

Or HWinfo is wrong, says 255A at 1.328V is about 340W. Some of the chokes are uncomfortable to touch, maybe 110-120F, the VRM heat sink is just warm to touch.

So this water block is not so good, the radiator end of things seems OK albeit very rudimentary fan control and poor temp sense. It is working. Water temps are creeping up, 35C. CPU temps are holding around 75C, the loop is stabilizing. If I kick the fans up to speed 3 (full blast) it makes a lot of noise and does bring the temps down a little bit to nearer 70C but it's not worth the noise.

Socket 3 486DX board I got today for a buck. :D

(Sorry for the garbage webcam pic)

Screenshot_3.png.1b5b1ba01d4e956769c9cab4419d5548.png

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Just recently bought the 4850 x2 for £20 and the Foxconn board with q9400 and 2x 1gb ddr2 800 for £20. I will make a retro rig out of the parts for noisy(4850 x2) fun

tiggerlator 

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

That is a cool looking card!

I couldn't get the system stable at 4.0, I need to fiddle with things more so I quit for the night, I'm not sure I'll resume later either. I just wanted to know if the system works, the system works but not very well. I bet with a better water block it would but everything is copper and my radiator is aluminum so that's a no-go. I think I could replace the radiator to a copper/brass one if I got longer bolts and then run a better copper water block too....but at that point I'm pretty sure I'm better off building a loop from cheap parts than I am messing with this one more. The ancient water block design just doesn't work out with the heat load from this CPU, it might be OK with something lower wattage but an air cooler would be simpler for that. I might be able to recycle something like the pump/reservoir IF it's running on 12V but I'm not even sure it does.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

That is a cool looking card!

I couldn't get the system stable at 4.0, I need to fiddle with things more so I quit for the night, I'm not sure I'll resume later either. I just wanted to know if the system works, the system works but not very well. I bet with a better water block it would but everything is copper and my radiator is aluminum so that's a no-go. I think I could replace the radiator to a copper/brass one if I got longer bolts and then run a better copper water block too....but at that point I'm pretty sure I'm better off building a loop from cheap parts than I am messing with this one more. The ancient water block design just doesn't work out with the heat load from this CPU, it might be OK with something lower wattage but an air cooler would be simpler for that. I might be able to recycle something like the pump/reservoir IF it's running on 12V but I'm not even sure it does.

it's 2x HD4850 with 1gb ram for each GPU

I have an old Osborne 1 somewhere, I will have to dig  it out and take a shot or two. Think it is in my fathers attic.

Places where I have worked have systems that use punch cards to program just kept as they never got chucked out. I think there may be some magnetic core memory sat in a cupboard on one of those sites. I might take a shot or two of that if I get to there again.

Just 7 years ago I still had to work on some old IBM tape sleds, they used 8" floppy drives for setup and the running code. Lots of fun they were.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:15 PM, 2Buck said:

Socket 3 486DX board I got today for a buck. :D

(Sorry for the garbage webcam pic)

Looks an awful lot like a board @CUDAcores89 and I picked up today.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 8/7/2018 at 11:11 AM, NoCarrier said:

Talk about yellow!

That's what retrobrighting is for. 

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro

10 hours ago, Mstr. Kush said:

I've been in the market for a new monitor, and just happened to stumble across this beauty in my local charity shop! Who said polar bears were dead?!

lol

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

You can always throw a resistor on the fan harness to slow it down some, those Socket 7 fans were not speed sense or speed controlled and with a decently sized hunk of aluminum not a lot of airflow is needed, an 80MM blowing across the board would suffice. Socket 370 heat sinks will work, one like this may even passively cool a socket 7 CPU if it's not clocked up real high.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooler-Master-DP5-6I31D-Socket-A-Socket-370-Cooling-Fan-Heat-Sink/232788026819?hash=item36333f65c3:g:UqQAAOSwllpbDyIY

On 5/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, KillBillOnceMore said:

Behold, an entire PC full of 2011-era parts!...

...except they're all dusty and the boot drive is corrupted...

That's a i7 860 + HD 5770 Dell right? Picked one of those up for 8$ earlier this year, was only missing the HDD. Slapped an SSD in it and damn it's still a very decent computer. :D

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

BNIB Unused PhysX card.

PhysX Back.jpg

PhysX Front.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X · Cooler: Heatkiller IV Pure Copper · Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi · RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 3800MHz CL14 · Graphics Card: AMD HD6970 (RIP RTX3090) waiting for 3090Ti to replace ·Boot Drive: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drives: Samsung 960 EVO 512GB SATA SSD + TeamGroup 512GB M.2 NVME SSD · PSU: Seasonic GX1300 80+ Modular Gold · Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White · Monitor: BenQ 32" 4k @ 60Hz, 2560*1600 @ 120Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB · Mouse: Corsair K55 RGB · Cooling: 5*120mm Wide Radiators, D5 Pump, 14 Fans.

On 12/21/2013 at 7:12 AM, DEcobra11 said:

P211213_1408_zpsc2087d8c.jpg

No description needed...

what is that lol. I cant tell if its a gpu or yea lol