Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

1 hour ago, NoCarrier said:

saw something that made me LOL today

image.thumb.png.0932e64c21ac27d386588d00d14f71da.png

I take personal offense to this, also I live in a house now (and I've gotten rid of stuff, it's just parts...endless parts)

I don't know if that ls considered old or not, but oh well.

Asus GTX550ti and Asus 990 FX Rev 2.0 (Still FX8350 in there lol)

20190312_195827.jpg

20190312_195408.jpg

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

pleas feal freeto post all your asus gear

ekwAK3E.jpg

Graphics card is an ASUS Let's Game 8600GT, funky little thing that I really like. I have had a pretty shit experience with ASUS stuff besides this card though with four motherboards with problems

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Nice! I've got some virgin install media for Vista, 95, and some 95 companion discs. 98se upgrade disc, uhh some other stuff. I'm slowly going through my hoard as I try to clean and organize because so much of what I have is honestly just junk now and us useless. Two wire fans in 90mm and smaller, I've got like 2 dozen of them.

I had two TRS  80's, an IBM XT clone with a 5 1/4 inch dual hight 10 megabyte count them hard drive. To me it was the coolest shit... till I get an Amiga. I had a 486DX(66mhz) , an Athlon 500, some crap I don't remember.

I sold my Amiga and my Commodore, and my Trash 80 on Ebay like a stupid motherfucker. I needed the money but I didn't realize how rare that stuff was! I bet some asshole just bought the 64 to rob it of it's SID chip! murder!

I wish I had pictures, was too long ago.

I've got a 3DFX Voodoo5 in a "good" condition box in storage, I'll grab it tomorrow :)

Mmmmm BSOD.

SATA driver problem? Not sure I ever used a SSD with XP, but I did run various RAID arrays. Pro tip, don't run RAID on a system with an over clocked PCI buss, things get weeeiiirrrdd when you do that. I had soo Soo many corrupted files but they were weird like MP3 files with parts of other files mixed together and videos with different videos mixed in on their own.

On 2/23/2019 at 5:01 AM, ReeseRiverson said:

By the way, I can capture any footage of the BIOS directly if any one would like a clearer shot, since I can capture VGA output easily. :)

Now for the rest of the goodies.

Man, I really really love those LPX Form Factor Systems (the first (couple of) Picture(s)).

IMO its one of the Form Factors that would make the most sense today but sadly it died in the early 2000s.

IIRC Pentium 3 are the last you can get in that Form Factor.

The Replacement for that, NLX; is IMO not as good as LPX...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

20 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Man, I really really love those LPX Form Factor Systems (the first (couple of) Picture(s)).

IMO its one of the Form Factors that would make the most sense today but sadly it died in the early 2000s.

IIRC Pentium 3 are the last you can get in that Form Factor.

The Replacement for that, NLX; is IMO not as good as LPX...

BTX, now that was a standard.

8 minutes ago, Bitter said:

BTX, now that was a standard.

NLX was one as well, though lesser known and not available for the DIY market.

Though BTX would allow for more compact and better systems, IMO. Shame that it wasn't adopted.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Those semi BTX Dell Dimension desktops with P4s from the early 2000s make great cases for sleeper mATX builds.

A little bit old computer ... i will try to use it as a NAS. For now i will just try to do it and when i will know what i do i will probably buy better parts

P_20190311_185438_SRES.jpg

6 hours ago, campy said:

I refuse to accept defeat

i will have windows xp on this thing

trying only sata now 

even with an ssd, sata 1 is slooooow

is that one of those low-profile cherry boards?

36 minutes ago, Ienien77 said:

A little bit old computer ... i will try to use it as a NAS. For now i will just try to do it and when i will know what i do i will probably buy better parts

P_20190311_185438_SRES.jpg

Get a modern PSU, those old ones are really awful even the good old ones. My antique Antec 550W is 72% efficient at full load,that's just terrible by modern standards! Other parameters like hold up time and the quality of the voltage were also lack luster back then. 

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Get a modern PSU, those old ones are really awful even the good old ones. My antique Antec 550W is 72% efficient at full load,that's just terrible by modern standards! Other parameters like hold up time and the quality of the voltage were also lack luster back then. 

For now it's just for testing if i'm able to do setup a NAS by myself and thanks to internet. If i build something with other components i will probably go for a new PSU and brand new HDD as well as SSD to have something faster. But for now i will stay with that as i will not run it 24/7.

11 minutes ago, Ienien77 said:

For now it's just for testing if i'm able to do setup a NAS by myself and thanks to internet. If i build something with other components i will probably go for a new PSU and brand new HDD as well as SSD to have something faster. But for now i will stay with that as i will not run it 24/7.

Makes sense, my CWT 485W PSU has a single 12V rail at 22A and a 30A 5V, the 12V dips to 11.3 under load from an X3470!! It's pretty amazing, an $80 PSU now out performs a $200 PSU from Y2K era in every aspect.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Makes sense, my CWT 485W PSU has a single 12V rail at 22A and a 30A 5V, the 12V dips to 11.3 under load from an X3470!! It's pretty amazing, an $80 PSU now out performs a $200 PSU from Y2K era in every aspect.

It's evolution and it's good :)