Is it possible to upgrade PS3 graphics card?

KieuVanQuan
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
6 minutes ago, KieuVanQuan said:

Can the graphics card be changed/upgraded on PS3? For example an Nvidia card....and will I be able to install the video driver on it?

No, console hardware is usually soldered using BGA. Even on newer hardware that may use MXM modules or other swappable socket components you're limited by the hypervisor, because according to Sony and Microsoft, you don't own the hardware after you purchase it.

Can the graphics card be changed/upgraded on PS3? For example an Nvidia card....and will I be able to install the video driver on it?

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

No. I believe PS3 used APU's. The CPU and GPU are on a single chip and they are soldered to the PCB. 

EDIT: This doesn't change the answer of no, but the PS3 uses a separate CPU and GPU, they are both soldered components though. I was thinking of AMD's Jaguar architecture being used on current generation consoles.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

No, there is no modern mainstream console that you can upgrade either CPU or GPU.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

6 minutes ago, KieuVanQuan said:

No, console hardware is usually soldered using BGA. Even on newer hardware that may use MXM modules or other swappable socket components you're limited by the hypervisor, because according to Sony and Microsoft, you don't own the hardware after you purchase it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Thanks all.

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

25 minutes ago, KieuVanQuan said:

Console hardware is typically proprietary (even if they are based off designs for PC applications) and so is the software they run. So you're never going to find hardware upgrades and drivers. The only exception is storage as consoles that do have storage drives will use the IDE or SATA standards. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

18 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Yeah I got you, G. Sure. I'll just believe you.

On 2018-03-17 at 12:08 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Fuck, I wanted to solder my GTX 970 to my PS3 so I could play Persona 5 at 60 fps.

Just slap it on the side with some duct tape... that would work, right?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 3/17/2018 at 12:08 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Fuck, I wanted to solder my GTX 970 to my PS3 so I could play Persona 5 at 60 fps.

That might not even work, even if you could upgrade the GPU.

Most games on consoles have locked fps. even if the run runs at 20fps at time, it might be limited to 30fps.

And that's just a round based JRPG...

If you have 15, 30, 60 or 120fps doesn't change much in terms of gameplay.

OK, 15 might be a bit annoying at times but its not like its a very fast game, quite the contary, its rather slow...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 3:04 PM, GoodBytes said:

That might not even work, even if you could upgrade the GPU.

Most games on consoles have locked fps. even if the run runs at 20fps at time, it might be limited to 30fps.

Then I'll solder another Cell processor onto the board to run them in SLI.

Especially since the CPU is more of a problem on the PS3.

But then again, the software isn't made to accept different hardware...

So even with a CPU that has 2 or three Power PC cores instead of one, you wouldn't see anything...

Then again, the 360 was the better console...
Sadly there are some exclusives for the PS3 that are very interesting - but only if you are a fan of japanese RPGs...

And since friday I also own a PS3...

2 hours ago, ki8aras said:

hell naw the ps3 uses an apu(graphics and cpu on a single chip)

No, it does not. Neither did the XBox 360. In later (Slim) Versions, both GPU and CPU were integrated on one Package (possibly one DIE)...

PS4 does.

PS3 uses a custom Cell Chip with Power PC Core and an nVidia GPU.

Look at this: