Sony HDR-AS15 Waterproof Case Fog

d3sl91

Hey All,

When I have the the waterproof case on, and it is in direct sunlight, it will fog up after 5 minutes.

I am currently in Madagascar, and direct sun is pretty brutal here near the equator (Sun burns in 10 minutes...). It is also somewhat humid (but not horrible). 

Could it just be how harsh the sun is here? Am I not acclimating the case and camera properly? Or do you think the case is damaged?

Just trying to get this unit to work for me - going to bestbuy or ordering a gopro off amazon is really not possible where I am at :)

Thanks,

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

the case is likely not broken and it is getting fogged because the case is enclosing a pocket of air inside with humidity.  gopro makes antifog inserts that you can use with the sony camera and case or try to use a small folded piece of unscented dry tissue to absorb the moisture.  are you using the camera underwater?  if you dont use the camera underwater perhaps don't use the case

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

1 hour ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

the case is likely not broken and it is getting fogged because the case is enclosing a pocket of air inside with humidity.  gopro makes antifog inserts that you can use with the sony camera and case or try to use a small folded piece of unscented dry tissue to absorb the moisture.  are you using the camera underwater?  if you dont use the camera underwater perhaps don't use the case

Thank you,

Doing some research on those inserts, and what they solve is exactly the issue I'm having. So, I will be trying out the different methods people have come up with since I don't have access to those inserts here. 

If I wasn't using it while riding a motorcycle on backroads and trails I would just go caseless - just too much dust and dirt everywhere. 

Thanks!

I used the same model Sony HDR-AS15 on a motorbike for a little over a month. Through all types of weather without getting fog apart from my first day of use. I put this down to going from an air-conditioned hotel room into the cold outside air.

Tips:

• Do not put the case on the camera until both it and the case has acclimatised.
  • Just like other camera equipment store it in the open if possible a bedside table perhaps, not in any way sealed from the environment. The rule is that camera bags are just for transporting and protection, not storage.
  • Try not to handle the camera for too long before putting it in the case, as your hands will warm it and the case body.
  • Leave the case open when the camera is not inside it.
  • When you can, leave the open case on a window sill to get warm from the sun, then move it into the shade to cool, this will dry out any residual moisture.
  • Same goes for the memory card and battery a warm battery on the inside will draw and hold the moisture.

I can also definitely recommend buying the Sony AKA-LU1 with the LCD screen/cradle, it turns the HDR-AS15 into a great little all-purpose camera.

hope this helps...

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

19 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

I used the same model Sony HDR-AS15 on a motorbike for a little over a month. Through all types of weather without getting fog apart from my first day of use. I put this down to going from an air-conditioned hotel room into the cold outside air.

Tips:

• Do not put the case on the camera until both it and the case has acclimatised.
  • Just like other camera equipment store it in the open if possible a bedside table perhaps, not in any way sealed from the environment. The rule is that camera bags are just for transporting and protection, not storage.
  • Try not to handle the camera for too long before putting it in the case, as your hands will warm it and the case body.
  • Leave the case open when the camera is not inside it.
  • When you can, leave the open case on a window sill to get warm from the sun, then move it into the shade to cool, this will dry out any residual moisture.
  • Same goes for the memory card and battery a warm battery on the inside will draw and hold the moisture.

I can also definitely recommend buying the Sony AKA-LU1 with the LCD screen/cradle, it turns the HDR-AS15 into a great little all-purpose camera.

hope this helps...

I need to try acclimating it better as you mention, and test it out every day. See if its how I store it that is causing the issues. However, I do think its humid and hot enough here to cause additional issues regardless of trying to acclimate - but we'll see!

I bought this camera years ago, and have used it a few times - but now that I really have a need for a rugged camera - I'm wishing I had used it more, and now want a better one! I like Sony's cameras, and yeah, I wanted that attachment too. May see if its on ebay cheap when I get back to the states in November or January. 

On 3/16/2018 at 12:21 PM, d3sl91 said:

If I wasn't using it while riding a motorcycle on backroads and trails I would just go caseless - just too much dust and dirt everywhere. 

check on the internet if they sell skeleton cases for the camera.  skeleton cases provide cover for the lens and some areas of the body without enclosing the entire camera and therefore should provide good ventilation

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects