Can you use an external USB media drive connected to your Xbox 360 console to read Xbox 360 games?

ImNotDeViLzzz

Ok so my media drive is broken on my Xbox 360 and yes I know one can open an Xbox 360 and do repairs as I have done this before but I don't feel up to that sort of thing as of now and so I am wondering if an external USB media drive attached to an XBox 360 would work.  Yes or no?

I thought you could play Xbox games within Windows Live?

Not that as a steam user I would know (and do not have an Xbox account) but wasn't that the whole point of the Windows Live app, or am I thinking of Xbox Play Anywhere?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

You should be able to, but you would have to install them from the disk first. You cant download them elsewhere and then play them if that is what you want to do.

Speaking officially (no idea about CFW methods), I don't remember USB HDD support for games being added to 360. MS sells their own proprietary HDDs that you can attach on. You'd be able to download digital games to that. You can't run disc games installed to HDD, since you need the disc recognized in the drive to boot it up. 

34 minutes ago, ono said:

Speaking officially (no idea about CFW methods), I don't remember USB HDD support for games being added to 360. MS sells their own proprietary HDDs that you can attach on. You'd be able to download digital games to that. You can't run disc games installed to HDD, since you need the disc recognized in the drive to boot it up. 

USB HDD does work for the Xbox 360 but yeah I haven't found anything that says I can use an external media drive.  Thankfully I do have many Xbox 360s laying around that I got super cheap I can use but really wanted this situation with this console fixed without having to tear it apart and risk damaging the darn case which has happened to me before.  Also I am wondering how the external drive I have with stuff on it now will work with another console as in whether or not it will be able to use the data it stores properly.  I don't know if the files are in some way attached to the specific console.