How to keep the LED MSI logo from GPU Shroud when installing an all in one liquid cooler

Bio667

Hi there LTT community I had a quick idea/question. I was thinking of water cooling my MSI GTX 970 (Specifically the Geforce GTX 970-Gaming 4G card; https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-970-GAMING-4G.html) using an all in one water cooler, like the Corsair Hydro H100i. But I also wanted to keep the LED dragon logo from the original MSI shroud and was looking for some inspiration as to ways to get it done. 

My original thought was maybe using a GPU water cooling bracket kit like the HG10 A1 GPU Liquid Cooling Bracket from Corsair and either cutting out parts of the shroud on that to fit the MSI logo in there and use some adhesive to place the logo. But the question then is whether the LED logo can:

1. Be removed (I have seen a few photos/videos where it appears as if the logo just simply can be unplugged and re-plugged into a connector on the GPU but I haven't found any conclusive visual evidence.)
  2. If I use the GPU water cooling mounting bracket kit, whether after plugging in the single fan into the GPU connector pins if there will still be available pins to plug in the LED logo (this point relies on point 1 being valid)
  3. Lastly I wanted to see if anyone had examples of a similar mod they've done of this so I can try and gauge how the end product would look, and also advice as to how difficult/frustrating the operation would be.

I'm also open to ideas/inspirations on how to mount an all in one water cooling system on the GPU while keeping the original MSI GPU shroud. 

Any pictures or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Listed my GPU model in more detail

I'm assuming it's a gaming x card because it had the dragon logo? Probably won't be able to keep the shroud.

The led does just plug into the pcb, so you won't have issues there. Removing it from the shroud can be either super easy if it's screwed in, or a pain if it's molded in. Idk what card you have, and Idk how it's put into the gaming series cards.

So then, you'll have to do some sort of test fit with an aio bracket for your card to see if the led connector is open. If not, your gonna have to make a cutout, which shouldn't be too hard. 

Then finally your going to have to make a cutout in the front to attach your logo. The plastics and colors probably won't match so it might look goofy though. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

1 hour ago, Bio667 said:

Hi there LTT community I had a quick idea/question. I was thinking of water cooling my MSI GTX 970 (Specifically the Geforce GTX 970-Gaming 4G card; https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-970-GAMING-4G.html) using an all in one water cooler, like the Corsair Hydro H100i. But I also wanted to keep the LED dragon logo from the original MSI shroud and was looking for some inspiration as to ways to get it done. 

My original thought was maybe using a GPU water cooling bracket kit like the HG10 A1 GPU Liquid Cooling Bracket from Corsair and either cutting out parts of the shroud on that to fit the MSI logo in there and use some adhesive to place the logo. But the question then is whether the LED logo can:

1. Be removed (I have seen a few photos/videos where it appears as if the logo just simply can be unplugged and re-plugged into a connector on the GPU but I haven't found any conclusive visual evidence.)
  2. If I use the GPU water cooling mounting bracket kit, whether after plugging in the single fan into the GPU connector pins if there will still be available pins to plug in the LED logo (this point relies on point 1 being valid)
  3. Lastly I wanted to see if anyone had examples of a similar mod they've done of this so I can try and gauge how the end product would look, and also advice as to how difficult/frustrating the operation would be.

I'm also open to ideas/inspirations on how to mount an all in one water cooling system on the GPU while keeping the original MSI GPU shroud. 

Any pictures or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Listed my GPU model in more detail

take it apart dont cut just take it apart to see if it can be unplugged

23 hours ago, Ginger137 said:

I'm assuming it's a gaming x card because it had the dragon logo? Probably won't be able to keep the shroud.

The led does just plug into the pcb, so you won't have issues there. Removing it from the shroud can be either super easy if it's screwed in, or a pain if it's molded in. Idk what card you have, and Idk how it's put into the gaming series cards.

Yeah I forgot to put the specific model that I had but it is the Gaming variant of the MSI gtx-970.

23 hours ago, Ginger137 said:

Then finally your going to have to make a cutout in the front to attach your logo. The plastics and colors probably won't match so it might look goofy though. 

Yeah I was wondering how the colors between the two pieces would match up, but since the logo looks like it might be encased in a black plastic and if I go with like the Corsair water bracket kit, the plastic in that is also a mostly black plastic I figured it would look okay enough. But that's why I was hoping to see if anyone could point me to a more direct image showcase of the MSI logo removed so I could take a look at what it looks like before I even start going down this path. If not I might just disassemble the shroud on my GPU and see if I can get a better assessment of the logo.

51 minutes ago, Bio667 said:

Yeah I was wondering how the colors between the two pieces would match up, but since the logo looks like it might be encased in a black plastic and if I go with like the Corsair water bracket kit, the plastic in that is also a mostly black plastic I figured it would look okay enough. But that's why I was hoping to see if anyone could point me to a more direct image showcase of the MSI logo removed so I could take a look at what it looks like before I even start going down this path. If not I might just disassemble the shroud on my GPU and see if I can get a better assessment of the logo

If I had to guess, the logo will be easy enough to remove, so you can compare first. A little bit of x-acto and vinyl wrap work can cover that though if they are different. That might be the best too because it can cover any mistakes you make cutting out the hole in the bracket

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys.