Sony: We removed the headphone jack due to the XZ2's design

Thanks Sony, thank you for making it easier for me to pick my next phone. Not your phone obviously.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Dude, maybe take a step back. 

Apple is in a far better position to actually do it because at least their dongle situation isn't as fucked up as the Android side. Anything that has a Lightning connector, unless it is broken to shit, will work with any iOS device with that port from the iPhone 5 onwards. 

Android's situation is a clusterfuck. I've said multiple times before, but Android OEMs with the exception of some are complete idiots. There is a huge problem when the dongle supplied with a Motorola phone only works with Moto phones and nothing else. Same goes for HTC, Xiaomi and even Sony. Only Google and Essential to date have dongles which work on everything else. 

The headphone jack may be headed towards being trended off, but now is not the time to do it. I own a pair of very good WH-1000XM2 over ear wireless noise cancelling headphones, and while they sound excellent for being wireless, they still fall victim to the BT skipping issue, particularly in areas of heavy wireless activity. And many USB-C options just plain suck. 

So its okay for apple to make an adapter that only works for apple phones. But Motorola does it and its wrong? 

IM all for every single phone having 1 standard (Including iphone) but giving a pass on one manuf and not the other is wrong.  Everysingle one should be USB C and be universal. 

Honestly the tiny extra bit i give to apple and removing the Jack  is the fact they sell Decent wireless option at a okay price Airpods. Not many other options at that form factor and pricepoint IDKY google thought hey lets make em with wires and Putting them in the case annoying. 

7 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

So its okay for apple to make an adapter that only works for apple phones. But Motorola does it and its wrong? 

IM all for every single phone having 1 standard (Including iphone) but giving a pass on one manuf and not the other is wrong.  Everysingle one should be USB C and be universal. 

Honestly the tiny extra bit i give to apple and removing the Jack  is the fact they sell Decent wireless option at a okay price Airpods. Not many other options at that form factor and pricepoint IDKY google thought hey lets make em with wires and Putting them in the case annoying. 

I’m not giving Apple a pass. I’ve criticized them for removing the jack without an actual real reason in the past (it’s not “courage”) and I will continue to do so. You can’t use Lightning headphones on a MacBook. That reason alone is enough to ruffle my feathers.

But Android OEMs have made this problem much worse. Sure, the connector is open, but they have made their own ways of interfacing with the dongle to the point where it is almost as proprietary as Lightning, maybe even worse as anything Lightning is almost guaranteed to work but USB-C doesn’t because of all these various mess of standards that only work on one specific device or device family. It’s a clusterfuck. The reason I said Apple was in a better position (I said better position, not good position) was because the dongle is almost guaranteed to work across Lightning devices, unless it’s broken to shit.

I so wish for the USB-IF to one day issue some sort of certification service where anything approved by them will carry a sticker so it’s easier to get USB stuff that’s guaranteed to work on anything USB-C. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

people that buy into apple should now apple, and i guess most people do and usually their customers are either someone who wanted to try apple and never do it again (most of us been there) or someone who has been a loyal customer of theirs and buys every thing they sell. So you can hardly complain about this kind of things.

So i buy this ridiculous expensive PC with a 20K display and then can't upgrade it and the display is useless, sign me in, makes sense. 9_9

form over function

all kinds of shenanigans in regards to planned obsolescence to make customers return and buy from that as fast as possible

Well, the issue is most of the music industry brought into the apple ecosystem back when they were good for it and no one knew apple would drop support for so many ports.  Firewire for example is still sold today on many outboard audio interfaces and they are expensive.  So anyone wanting to continue using their studio hardware is either not upgrading or they are swapping to windows based machines.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I know someone is going to tell me to basically stop complaining and just embrace the wireless future.

To that person, let me introduce you to this...

hphone-5.thumb.jpg.59b3cee433367cff30686c4c24a1aaf7.jpg

They say don't knock it unless you've tried it, so I did...

hphone.thumb.jpg.5f5faa8fc60740476dbc8c77bae14959.jpg

I've been living the wireless lyfe and the #donglelyfe for a while now and honestly, nothing has changed. I see one or two more new wireless options but these are usually top-of-the-line models with few cheap-but-good options and there really is no real push for a replacement universal standard to succeed that jack. We're basically in the same spot as we are in 2016. If there's any progress, I'm not seeing it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

On that note 

ZomboMeme 15032018183421.jpg

"options are bad and you should feel bad for using all of them"

- cit. YourAvrg SheepPerson

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I don't understand how anyone can even defend removing the jack.

Wireless isn't a replacement to the jack. It's simply an alternative.

They both serve to play audio yes but each has their own pros and cons. Wireless being obviously being wireless. While wired is lighter, cheaper (price to sound quality), and doesn't have a battery to charge.

People who speak so fondly of wireless don't seem to realize that phone with a jack can also do wireless. By removing the jack, you're literally removing a feature. Just keep both on the phone and let people choose what they want to use.

If I were to give an extreme example, it's as if laptop started shipping without a touchpad. Cause like, wireless mouse/trackpad exists right? Who needs a built in trackpad?

Personally I don't care about. But what is strange is hw thick the phone is. Also they ruined the design, the back is so ugly. Really hope to see new Premium successor though, potentially with that good and known industrial design. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Next "innovation"

We stopped putting in ethernet ports since we have wifi.  We call it bravery.

It’s already happened 

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I really hope people realize that this is happening and will stop complaining. The headphone jack is dying, accept it. 

I think you underestimate how many people on this forum are of the hi-fi disposition.

36 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Well, the issue is most of the music industry brought into the apple ecosystem back when they were good for it and no one knew apple would drop support for so many ports.  Firewire for example is still sold today on many outboard audio interfaces and they are expensive.  So anyone wanting to continue using their studio hardware is either not upgrading or they are swapping to windows based machines.

for my small knowledge of it, music and video editing are big on Apple products. This ties to the 5k display that will go obsolete because you can't upgrade. Do Apple customers even care?

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

The music industry is slowly getting very dark on apple for constantly changing and removing ports.

Everyone has gotten mad at Apple for removing ports. The thing is everyone got over it and the industry changed for the better. 

Apple doesn’t care that a few people are angry when the majority of people simply don’t notice that the headphone jack is gone. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Sure live in your fantasy Apple world. The opinion is the same as two years ago when apple first fucked people over by removing the headphone jack. People still want it and there are a LOT of devices that absolutely need AUX. 

Your illusion of the jack dying is because Apple says it is and you and others blindly follow. Its not dying. I mean I dont get people who hate the jack...like serious you have to have a mental condition to hate it. Phones can implement it with a shit ton more of features AND keep a smaller form factor. Look at the S8 and S9. 

So I’m supposed to take a Twitter poll as meaning anything at all? I think the mental condition is believing a self selected internet poll of people who follow that guy on Twitter. 

I dont hate the headphone jack, I just accept that it’s maybe time to move on.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

30 minutes ago, Soonercoop21 said:

I think you underestimate how many people on this forum are of the hi-fi disposition.

And I don’t think you understand how little people in the smartphone market are of the Hi-Fi disposition. 

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

So I’m supposed to take a Twitter poll as meaning anything at all? I think the mental condition is believing a self selected internet poll of people who follow that guy on Twitter. 

I dont hate the headphone jack, I just accept that it’s maybe time to move on.

Not about the twitter poll. Its about the announcement and the following threads about it. Poll is small but all we got and shows people still give a shit. 

Time to move on from what? What fucking reason is behind the movement to move on?

Oh thats right, there was no fucking reason. Please stop blindly following Apple. 

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Everyone has gotten mad at Apple for removing ports. The thing is everyone got over it and the industry changed for the better. 

Here’s the thing.

For FireWire and the CD drive plus floppy drive, they got rid of them when there was an actual successor that could properly replace them and was gaining heaps of traction. So there was a bit of angst but not a big deal because we accepted that their successors were better in many ways.

Not so for the headphone jack. I’ve said it so many times, but Apple laid first blood too soon. Because there isn’t yet a proper replacement for it. USB-C is a clusterfuck with all these different interfacing standards, Lightning is completely proprietary and Bluetooth doesn’t have the stability or bandwidth needed to rival wired.

I will bet that we won’t be that mad if there is already a replacement that does everything the jack does but better.

We will get there eventually, just not so soon

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Time to move on from what? What fucking reason is behind the movement to move on?

Oh thats right, there was no fucking reason.

A 30 year old technology. You would also have to be blind to not realize that Apple wanted to sell AirPods. 

You don’t need the headphone jack the way Apple sees it. Wireless, specifically Apple’s witeless, is good enough that it can replace general consumer audio consumption. 

If you do need the headphone jack you can use the free included adaptor or if you don’t like that then maybe you shouldn’t have bought the iPhone. 

Its simple really. 

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Not so for the headphone jack

How on earth are Wirelesss headphones not the successor to wired ones? Seriously come on. 

Another thing is Apple doesn’t have to care about the Android Market, Apple isn’t in it to make things easier for everyone else. Apple knows their W series of chips are significantly ahead of standard Bluetooth and in an entirely different league than anything anyone else has. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

How on earth are Wirelesss headphones not the successor to wired ones? Seriously come on. 

Bandwidth dude, alongside battery life, lifespan amongst other things.

Chief among which is that it has an inherent fault; it tends to skip especially in places where a lot of wireless transmissions are going on.

Wireless is still a supplement to wired, not YET a replacement.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

A 30 year old technology. You would also have to be blind to not realize that Apple wanted to sell AirPods. 

You don’t need the headphone jack the way Apple sees it. Wireless, specifically Apple’s witeless, is good enough that it can replace general consumer audio consumption. 

If you do need the headphone jack you can use the free included adaptor or if you don’t like that then maybe you shouldn’t have bought the iPhone. 

Its simple really. 

30 year old tech that still stands up today. Saying to remove it because its old is pure ignorance and I am not blind to Apple and airpods because only idiots would fall for that. 

And the dongle argument is still dumb. I run into it all the time with my friends and they need an aux but dont have their dongle. Its not something you always carry with you, fuck, most just leave them on their only pair of head phones. 

"its simple really"...sure. Because taking a feature away from a phone that does not hurt it in anyway shape or form is good right? 

Please tell me one reason other than "its old" that the jack should be removed...

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Bandwidth dude, alongside battery life, lifespan amongst other things

Those are Apples primary focus with the W series of chipsets. What happens with everyone else is literally inconsequential to the folks over at Apple. 

If the rest of the market is going to be falling over itself figuring out what the f*ck to do about audio, all Apple has to do is have it figured out already. Which they almost do. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Those are Apples primary focus with the W series of chipsets. What happens with everyone else is literally inconsequential to the folks over at Apple. 

If the rest of the market is going to be falling over itself figuring out what the f*ck to do about audio, all Apple has to do is have it figured out already. Which they almost do. 

The W chip is proprietary.

If Apple decided to actually license it out or something, problemo solved. Of course, this is Apple, so as typical of them, they don’t