200$ to spend on upgrades...

Quadrum
4 minutes ago, Revamp said:

A 1500VA ups will not run his PC for hours unfortunately. at a 200w load, a 1500va will last for 36minutes. that's not counting whatever else is plugged into it like monitors, modem/router, or whatever it may be.

Lol, you're so right! Now I feel dumb. See my APC has and LCD and there's a number that hovers around 120. I just always assumed that was time remaining if power were to go. NOPE! I unplugged the APC from the wall, pressed the menu button a few times and saw that I have about 17 mins remaining. Not to bad for having two computers and monitors plugged in. Thanks for clearing that up, haha.

5 minutes ago, Liquid_Z said:

Lol, you're so right! Now I feel dumb. See my APC has and LCD and there's a number that hovers around 120. I just always assumed that was time remaining if power were to go. NOPE! I unplugged the APC from the wall, pressed the menu button a few times and saw that I have about 17 mins remaining. Not to bad for having two computers and monitors plugged in. Thanks for clearing that up, haha.

Haha no problem, generally the number that fluctuates (since you mentioned hovers "around") is the wattage load the UPS is powering at that time.

Mine generally sits anywhere from like 180-360 depending on what I'm doing :P

For OP: if you do get a UPS, generally youll have battery powered outlets, and normal surge protected outlets. Typically you want your PC and 1 primary monitor (don't waste battery power on extra screens in the instance of a power outage), and if your modem/router is nearby and you do a lot of internet work, I keep those battery powered as well to give me time to save whatever I'm doing.

Things like speakers and extra peripherals are non-critical so don't waste battery juice on those.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

11 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

He would have trouble even getting a 1070 with $200 in the current market.

with the money for the 1060 AND $200, I think it's pretty clear you cant get a 1070 for $200 ........ but 1060 6gb are bringing around $300+

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

On 3/15/2018 at 1:29 AM, stealth80 said:

with the money for the 1060 AND $200, I think it's pretty clear you cant get a 1070 for $200 ........ but 1060 6gb are bringing around $300+

It would cost more like $250-$275 on top of what he could get for the card at market value (if time was not an issue, otherwise he would have to sell for less) unless he was fine with a used card, if that were the case then he would need $150 plus market value of the 1060.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!