Phanteks Evolv mATX build

ThisIsNotTheITGuy

So I'm new to the forums here but decided I would post my build log for my first post. I have been doing water cooled builds for around 7 years now, but this will be my first hard line build. Due to space constraints on the desk I planned on using i opted for a mATX build which makes the whole project allot more exciting trying to make it all fit. I'm not usually one for red/black builds but because of the mATX build it limited my options on motherboards and the motherboard i got had red LEDs, so it became a red/black/grey build. 

Components:

- Case: Phanteks Evolv mATX 

- CPU: i7-8700k

- GPU: EVGA 1070ti SC Gaming

- Motherboard: MSI Z370M Gaming PRO AC

- RAM: Gskill Trident Z 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3600

- PSU: originally Corsair AX860i change to AX1200i when 860 failed

- Storage: Samsung 960 EVO m.2 250GB SSD

- Fans: ML120 PRO Red

Water cooling components:

- CPU Block: EK Supremacy

- GPU Block: EK Nickel

- Reservoir: Singularity Protium small

- Radiators: Alphacool XT45 240 & 280

- Pump: Swiftech MCP35x

- Pump Top/Heatsink: Singularity DDC pump top and heatsink

- Fittings: EK rigid compression Red

- Adapters: Bitspower Red

- Tubing: EK Petg

- Coolant: Mayhem Pastel Dark Grey

This was the initial test fit of motherboard and the 280 radiator. Found out i couldn't fit the 280 up front without cutting the case a little and i didn't feel like doing that.

TestFit2.jpg.2be6230dfc1b04f02721085e7fc541ac.jpg

The layout of the radiator up top also gave me a really convenient fill port.

TopFill.jpg.25a19861c1645f3741e28fb937f79c4d.jpg

This was my first tube bend. I used an old GTX580 I had laying around to help with spacing while i waited for the 1070 to show up.

FirstBend.jpg.6d8f986e23a20d377d7ee0a74364bc9f.jpg

This was my original plan for the pump location and drain port. I found out once i got the 240 radiator in that i had to adjust the location.

FirstPumpSetup.jpg.657511d5ebd7d1367fec6157a51d7618.jpg

This was how it ended up fitting to get the radiator in the front to fit. 

PumpDrainPort.jpg.ec5ad17ee5006aa8cdcf7a2edded084c.jpg

GPU showed up and put the waterblock/backplate on it and finished running the tube. The reservoir was tilted because I only had one set of screws in the mount and it was designed for both sets of holes to be used on a radiator. Initially i thought it would be okay.

Setup1Done.jpg.a64e008df885a9ae3b321b1ebf3cc5dc.jpg

This is what i thought would be my finished build and was pretty happy with how it turned out. 

LoopFilled.jpg.20cffa7813b819f5af102b2b00a9c4fe.jpg

For the first few days of running the PC it would randomly shut off and refuse to turn back on for 2-3 minutes. I thought it was something to do with my overclock, but soon found out it was the PSU. Luckily i had my old AX1200i laying around and was able to test the system to make sure. Only problem was the AX1200i didn't fit with the pump down low. Because i wanted to redo the reservoir mounting I figured this was as good a time as any to tear it apart and see what i could change.

Making1200Work.jpg.5b0344d8c12a341e60e2147fdc8466f6.jpg

This is the new loop configuration which i think turned out a lot better than it was initially. Problem with this was I hooked up to the pump on dual inlets and blocked the out. So when i turned it on no water moved.

NewLoopConfiguration.jpg.146343e631576323de038d1a7d84fee6.jpg

I love the Alphacool raditators for all the port options. was able to make a nice drain port out the bottom.

NewDrainPort.jpg.cebbe01adee1d94566e00bce8247834c.jpg

This is the final configuration once i figured out the port issue on the pump.

NewLoopFilled.thumb.jpg.564c34b1daf667ed62ee3e7a33d5cab6.jpg

Overall I really enjoyed this build. The quality of the Phanteks case was fantastic. I knew doing a mATX build would have some spacing issues so the frustrations i had were to be expected. 

Love the balance between the red, grey, and black. Really nice build!

Edit: 07 to accomplishing so much in a mATX case. I can never see how people can fit a full custom loop in such a tiny amount of space!

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

looks great, nice work, not sure on the coolant colour though xD

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

20 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

looks great, nice work, not sure on the coolant colour though xD

I agree... nice work, overall really good build, but that coolant is disgusting...

1 hour ago, KSP said:

Love the balance between the red, grey, and black. Really nice build!

Edit: 07 to accomplishing so much in a mATX case. I can never see how people can fit a full custom loop in such a tiny amount of space!

Thanks! and yeah it was a challenge in the mATX case, but it was allot of fun.

50 minutes ago, PauliusP said:

I agree... nice work, overall really good build, but that coolant is disgusting...

Thanks! And the coolant looks allot better in person than in pictures. But i definitely can see people not liking it. It does have a bit of a "sludge" look to it. I'll probably change it out to red or black at some point to try something different.

44 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

Looks nice. However it looks like you used the OUT-port on your cpu block as IN??

I had seen a couple people mention specific directions on CPU block, but looking at mine I didn't see anything indicating one way or another. If i did do it wrong I will definitely switch it up. I overclocked the CPU to 5.1Ghz with 1.35V and max temps were 73C. 

Edit: so i went and checked EK website. I did hook it up backwards. Guess i will be redoing it this weekend.

Went back and looked at pictures of the waterblock. And you can just barely see the "In" and "Out" mark. I think i missed it because the fittings cover up most of it. Also could be what i get for doing the build while not wearing my glasses.

CPU_Out.thumb.jpg.23ac2c86c0d773976184f41da0fc543a.jpg

1 hour ago, ThisIsNotTheITGuy said:

Went back and looked at pictures of the waterblock. And you can just barely see the "In" and "Out" mark. I think i missed it because the fittings cover up most of it. Also could be what i get for doing the build while not wearing my glasses.

EK also advises to use the left port as IN on the gpu block so at least that part is correct. EK cpu blocks use jet plates, so it only works in one direction. If you turn the block 180 degrees, you might be able to go straight from the gpu out to the cpu in without the slight bend to the left that you have now. 

23 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

EK also advises to use the left port as IN on the gpu block so at least that part is correct. EK cpu blocks use jet plates, so it only works in one direction. If you turn the block 180 degrees, you might be able to go straight from the gpu out to the cpu in without the slight bend to the left that you have now. 

Good to know. Thanks!

So I redid the ports on the CPU block last night. But when I booted it back on and ran some stress tests my temps actually were higher. Originally i was getting about 75C tops on the CPU and last night i hit 88C. I put new thermal paste on but I don't know the brand because i forgot to bring home any of the the stuff i normally use from work. The stuff i used was an unlabeled brand I had in my computer parts bin. I wouldn't have guessed thermal paste would cause that big of a change. I plan on picking up some better stuff today and trying that tonight. I'm also open to any ideas of what could be causing it. I will be tearing it apart tonight to see if i missed something.

You can just barely make out the "IN" and "OUT" on the block.

CPUCloseUp.thumb.jpg.f0db33be02a32378f7030a93ab8056ea.jpg

Here is the updated full loop.

3rdLoop.thumb.jpg.7c6aa925d6504d1c3b7d4d79e6e699e2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Finally! Someone doing a custom loop in the evolv matx!! I've been looking everywhere for something like this!

Awesome job, Love how much work you have put into this and it turned out really great. I've only just built my first PC under a year ago and want to custom loop it in the next upgrade but couldn't find anyone that had done one in this case! When I finally get around to doing it i'll be sure to post something up! 

Looking great! I love the work with the loop, plus the colour scheme, can't go wrong with the red and black look. Not too sure on the colour of the fluid mind you. Still good stuff.

If you cannot say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything.