My thoughts of Ryzen so far

Crunchy Dragon

I've had a Ryzen-based system for a little under 3 months now, and decided it was time to release my thoughts of the platform to the world wide web. Went out to my local Micro Center in January and picked myself up a Ryzen 5 1600 with an ASRock AB350-Pro4(nothing beats the CPU/motherboard deals at Micro Center, let me tell you that).

Going to go over a few different areas here, such as performance, temperature, etc.

I am very pleased with this CPU, it holds up well under everything I've thrown at it. From running a virtual machine(Bluestacks, didn't keep it around long due to disk space) to gaming, it does everything really nicely. Loving the 12 threads as well, makes the impact of background processes and tasks only noticeable when I run out of RAM.

I haven't ran a lot of benchmarks on this, but I did run Cinebench R15 while I was overclocking. Got this puppy to 3.7Ghz on stock voltage in Ryzen Master, with a score of ~2000 IIRC(don't have it on hand). It also paired really well with my GTX 780, getting solid 60fps at 1080p Medium settings in Fortnite all the time. PUBG takes a little more coaxing to run well, it doesn't like running at 1080p at all so in order to have any kind of performance I'm stuck at 720p Low. Minecraft runs like a champion, although I have to enable V-Sync to avoid problems with framerates in the 300 range.

It also overclocks pretty well, even with the stock cooler(because I'm a cheap person that can't afford a higher end CPU cooler). Temperatures are staying pretty low barely reaching 60C, even when running Cinebench at 3.7Ghz. Guess there's something to be said for high intake levels in a low ambient temperature environment. I haven't ran an Aida64 stress test yet for longer than an hour, but it held up pretty well under that too. Might even do some CPU folding once I figure out how to get that working on Windows 10 since I've got the CPU power to spare...

Unrelated note, loving my GTX 780 as well even in 2018. The current GPU market makes me all the more grateful that my friend was generous and let me have it for free. <3

That pretty much concludes my thoughts so far, I might end up doing a more in-depth review once I've had it for a year.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

tried to go higher on the clocks? i think you can get 3.8ghz, maybe higher but tougher

what RAM did you get? 

Just now, Technicolors said:

tried to go higher on the clocks? i think you can get 3.8ghz, maybe higher but tougher

what RAM did you get? 

I could, but I haven't been able to mess around with voltage a lot.

I got a generic stick of G.Skill 8Gb DDR4-2133 since it was the cheapest one there was at the time(got it during the height of the RAM shortage).

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Ryzen 5 1600s get 1200-1300 in cinebench by the way.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I have had the 1700 for a few months now coming from i5 6600. It is a nice, renders videos much faster. Havent had any problems with it too. Rgb is nice on the stock cooler.

1 minute ago, thegreengamers said:

Ryzen 5 1600s get 1200-1300 in cinebench by the way.

I was getting in the range of 2000 at 3.7Ghz.

Just now, Some Random Member said:

I have had the 1700 for a few months now coming from i5 6600. It is a nice, renders videos much faster. Havent had any problems with it too. Rgb is nice on the stock cooler.

I probably would have gotten one if I had a use for that kind of power. I still have no real way to use the 1600 to its full potential except for when I compare it to my friend's 4770K. I will need more RAM by the end of this year though...

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I haven't ran a lot of benchmarks on this, but I did run Cinebench R15 while I was overclocking. Got this puppy to 3.7Ghz on stock voltage in Ryzen Master, with a score of ~2000 IIRC(don't have it on hand).

Calling BS on 2000cb. You need to be running well over 5.0GHz which for Ryzen means LN2. http://hwbot.org/submission/3789996_unityofsaints_cinebench___r15_ryzen_5_1600_1779_cb

If that's actually legit, why isn't it on HWBOT? You'd have the record.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Calling BS on 2000cb. You need to be running well over 5.0GHz which for Ryzen means LN2. http://hwbot.org/submission/3789996_unityofsaints_cinebench___r15_ryzen_5_1600_1779_cb

If that's actually legit, why isn't it on HWBOT? You'd have the record.

No idea. I could be very far off as well, I will edit that in once I have a chance to double check.

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

got it during the height of the RAM shortage).

It's still getting worse...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

It's still getting worse...

It was the height of the shortage when I got it xD

I got a Ryzen 1300X for $99 on Black Friday and shoved it into my first ever PC build. I mainly use the PC for sims (FSX, TS, and soon XP11) and for the price I'm very happy. I built two more units, one with a Pentium G4400 and the other with a Core i3-7100. I'm impressed with what a cheap CPU can actually handle!

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

1 minute ago, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

I got a Ryzen 1300X for $99 on Black Friday and shoved it into my first ever PC build. I mainly use the PC for sims (FSX, TS, and soon XP11) and for the price I'm very happy. I built two more units, one with a Pentium G4400 and the other with a Core i3-7100. I'm impressed with what a cheap CPU can actually handle!

Cheap CPUs are really getting better, have you seen the Core i3-8100? I was thinking of getting one myself but a Z370 board by itself would cost the same price as my 1600 and a good board(roughly 275 USD at the time of purchase).

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Cheap CPUs are really getting better, have you seen the Core i3-8100? I was thinking of getting one myself but a Z370 board by itself would cost the same price as my 1600 and a good board(roughly 275 USD at the time of purchase).

I have! I sort of ran into the same issue. I was making a budget build just for fun and found boards that would (easily) work with the 8100 to drive up the cost too far for something I was basically building to sit still and look pretty.

IMG_1393.JPG

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)