What 240Hz monitor should I want to choose?

Inkz

Initially, I was going to get the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q  but then I saw that there was the newer and cheaper XG258Q that lacked G-Sync. Plus there is the Benq 240Hz, Viewsonic 240Hz. Alienware 240Hz, and others. They list things like antiflicker technology, but how do I know which one has better flicker and which is the better panel? Thanks.

Well what are your specs?

I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig: Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 15"

CPU: Intel i7 8750-H 6-core

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4 2666 mHz

Storage: 512 m.2 nvme ssd

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB, Steelseries Rival 600 

Headset: Philips SHP 9500 + Sennheiser hd598

Dac/Amp: Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Seriously everyone is obsessed with these refresh rates.  I dont think it makes a big difference.  But then I don;t own one, so I can't in truth knock it.  But moving from 1080p to a nice 4k screen literally blew me away.  It was like an amazing grave deal "was blind but now I see"  

So I am obsessed with 4 k now.  I'd get that 8k screen Linus reviewed if I could afford it.  Part of me thinks that a lot of this G-sync, 2.5ms Refresh Rate is just marketing.  I don't notice any screen tearing or lag at all and I am at a consistent 4k x2 @60Hz.  I can drop it to 50Hz and I don't notice even a little bit.

You can always downsample a 4k screen to make 1080p for games really easy.  1pixel 1080p = 4 pixels 4K, so the monitor can handle it no problem, without looking weird like the non native resolution of the past.

I wrote another post a second ago tallking about how much I love 4k, and I dont want to repeat it here.  But if you think going from 60fps to 240fps will change your life, it wont.  You cant see that fast, its basically subliminial I feel like.  Quadrupiling the resolution? Now that you will notice.  Trust me.

Get good color repro too.  I never thought it mattered until I saw how bad the ones at home were next to a good calibrated one.  Huge difference.

Spend a lot on your screen.  BenQ is good.  If youre loaded get HDR, but that will set you back $1500 minimum.  Its supposed to be amazing.  Dell UP27Q18t is the one Ive had my eye on.  That 'P' is important - it means HDR.  U27Q18t is another good 4 K  one, the non HDR version of previous.  

You dont have to upgrade your screen as often as your PC so its worth it to get a good one and keep it for like 10yrs.  Anyway, thats my opinion,  You can get all of the above- maybe not 240 hz yet at 4K, I dont think any connection has the bandwidth for that.  But there are GSync 4ks at least.  I had a list of good 4ks Im scouting EBay for, but its at home. But thats all I can help with, I would never go back to 1080.  It feels like going home and using my moms 1280 x 960- which unbelievably they still sell in Laptops!!  Its the default option in Dell Precision high end 17in workstation wtf.

6 minutes ago, GizmoAT said:

<snip>

Careful claiming it won't make a difference if you're saying A) "I don;t own one" and B) "2.5ms Refresh Rate" ;)  Refresh rates and response times are different things, and the "your eyes can't see that fast" argument is just wrong.

I cannot speak for GSync, so I won't, but I imagine it being a similar case. As for refresh rates, it can definitely be noticeable. It's subtle however. Comparing a 60 Hz screen side by side with a 120 Hz screen and one can see the difference, but after a while of using 120 Hz (as with anything) you get used to it and tend to notice it less, until you go back to 60 Hz. So it's more something you don't really notice or miss until you have tried it (as I've read about GSync). I do think the difference from 120 Hz to 240 Hz will be less dramatic, but it could perhaps still be noticed and has its niche market for competitive games if you can reach those framerates probably. Shooters and fast paced games I definitely find more enjoyable at higher refresh and frame rates. Take a slower paced game and 60 Hz can make me happy as well.

I notice screen tearing big time on my 4k TV, without vsync, so I can imaginge GSync helping out quite a bit there (if it's not due to the fact that it's a TV, I don't know).

I hardly notice any tearing on my 1080p 144 Hz monitor even when not reaching those framerates, so if that trend keeps up towards higher framerates then GSync might not add much, but I cannot say for sure. It could help reduce stutter from FPS dips though, maybe.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

Well what are your specs?

Well until I upgrade my desktop I am going to hook up my laptop to it with a 1070 and 6820hk. Should be enough for OW, that really wasn't my question however. I see you are also from Michigan. I don't have a link for it, but we have a thread for the state somewhere., kind of offtopic.

2 hours ago, GizmoAT said:

Whichever one comes in 4k.

I already have a 4k screen for my laptop. I want a 240Hz for some competitive Overwatch. I love  4k screens, but they don't really have the high refresh rates one right now, plus I wouldn't be able to run at high refresh rates.

2 hours ago, tikker said:

Careful claiming it won't make a difference if you're saying A) "I don;t own one" and B) "2.5ms Refresh Rate" ;)  Refresh rates and response times are different things, and the "your eyes can't see that fast" argument is just wrong.

I cannot speak for GSync, so I won't, but I imagine it being a similar case. As for refresh rates, it can definitely be noticeable. It's subtle however. Comparing a 60 Hz screen side by side with a 120 Hz screen and one can see the difference, but after a while of using 120 Hz (as with anything) you get used to it and tend to notice it less, until you go back to 60 Hz. So it's more something you don't really notice or miss until you have tried it (as I've read about GSync). I do think the difference from 120 Hz to 240 Hz will be less dramatic, but it could perhaps still be noticed and has its niche market for competitive games if you can reach those framerates probably. Shooters and fast paced games I definitely find more enjoyable at higher refresh and frame rates. Take a slower paced game and 60 Hz can make me happy as well.

While I haven't gotten to use a 240Hz in person yet in person, I briefly got to use a 120Hz and I loved it. But I am not asking you guys if it is worth it, I am asking about which ones out of these are better.

1 hour ago, Inkz said:

Well until I upgrade my desktop I am going to hook up my laptop to it with a 1070 and 6820hk. Should be enough for OW, that really wasn't my question however. I see you are also from Michigan. I don't have a link for it, but we have a thread for the state somewhere., kind of offtopic.

I already have a 4k screen for my laptop. I want a 240Hz for some competitive Overwatch. I love  4k screens, but they don't really have the high refresh rates one right now, plus I wouldn't be able to run at high refresh rates.

While I haven't gotten to use a 240Hz in person yet in person, I briefly got to use a 120Hz and I loved it. But I am not asking you guys if it is worth it, I am asking about which ones out of these are better.

Oh forgot to add it. Personally I'd go with the Asus simply since I have no first hand experience with the other brands, though I've heard good things about BenQ in general. You probably can't really go wrong with any of them, so pick the one that fits your aesthethic best I guess.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

23 hours ago, GizmoAT said:

Seriously everyone is obsessed with these refresh rates.  I dont think it makes a big difference.  But then I don;t own one, so I can't in truth knock it.  But moving from 1080p to a nice 4k screen literally blew me away.  It was like an amazing grave deal "was blind but now I see"  

So I am obsessed with 4 k now.  I'd get that 8k screen Linus reviewed if I could afford it.  Part of me thinks that a lot of this G-sync, 2.5ms Refresh Rate is just marketing.  I don't notice any screen tearing or lag at all and I am at a consistent 4k x2 @60Hz.  I can drop it to 50Hz and I don't notice even a little bit.

You can always downsample a 4k screen to make 1080p for games really easy.  1pixel 1080p = 4 pixels 4K, so the monitor can handle it no problem, without looking weird like the non native resolution of the past.

I wrote another post a second ago tallking about how much I love 4k, and I dont want to repeat it here.  But if you think going from 60fps to 240fps will change your life, it wont.  You cant see that fast, its basically subliminial I feel like.  Quadrupiling the resolution? Now that you will notice.  Trust me.

Get good color repro too.  I never thought it mattered until I saw how bad the ones at home were next to a good calibrated one.  Huge difference.

Spend a lot on your screen.  BenQ is good.  If youre loaded get HDR, but that will set you back $1500 minimum.  Its supposed to be amazing.  Dell UP27Q18t is the one Ive had my eye on.  That 'P' is important - it means HDR.  U27Q18t is another good 4 K  one, the non HDR version of previous.  

You dont have to upgrade your screen as often as your PC so its worth it to get a good one and keep it for like 10yrs.  Anyway, thats my opinion,  You can get all of the above- maybe not 240 hz yet at 4K, I dont think any connection has the bandwidth for that.  But there are GSync 4ks at least.  I had a list of good 4ks Im scouting EBay for, but its at home. But thats all I can help with, I would never go back to 1080.  It feels like going home and using my moms 1280 x 960- which unbelievably they still sell in Laptops!!  Its the default option in Dell Precision high end 17in workstation wtf.

It makes huge difference, going from 60 to like 144Hz for sure. Also you value it much more depending what you play and how competitive. Also variable refresh rate tech definitely is awesome addition for gaming monitors. So it's not just marketing. 60Hz to 240Hz is a enormous upgrade and yes of course you can see the difference. That said, for most 144Hz will be more than enough. 
1080p to 4K is doubling the resolution though.

23 hours ago, tikker said:

I notice screen tearing big time on my 4k TV, without vsync, so I can imaginge GSync helping out quite a bit there (if it's not due to the fact that it's a TV, I don't know).

I hardly notice any tearing on my 1080p 144 Hz monitor even when not reaching those framerates, so if that trend keeps up towards higher framerates then GSync might not add much, but I cannot say for sure. It could help reduce stutter from FPS dips though, maybe.

I've compared 144Hz vs 240Hz in Quake and there is difference but really for most people seeking high refresh rate 144Hz is the sweet spot I'd say. Jump from 144Hz to 240Hz will be less noticeable than 60Hz to 144Hz though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |