Headphones

hconverse02
Go to solution Solved by Max_Settings,

SHP9500

I got some cash as a gift recently, and I wanted to upgrade my current pair of headphones: https://www.amazon.com/Headset-Gaming-Headphones-Microphone-phones/dp/B073XKR2X4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1520958395&sr=8-6&keywords=sades+headphones+xbox+one to something a bit more expensive to say the least.  I like how some of razer's headphones look bit I also want to spend less than $100 (preferably $50-$75), with some good sound quality.  I'm not an audiophile, but I don't want crappy quality because I will be using them for both gaming and music. Thanks!

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

If you're looking for closed back, Grado SR80E's, if Closed back then Audio Technica M40X.

Open = people can hear what you're listening to(not best for public transport) but offers a more natural sound, great for games

Closed = Opposite of open basically. Still good for games, but not as natural sounding, probably more versatile

Hope this helped

I personally have the HyperX Cloud Stinger and they are so dang comfortable! Sometimes I forget they are even on my head. They go for $50 but if you can spend a little more than that maybe take a look at HyperX Cloud II because they are rediculously comfortable (more than Stinger) and you can get them refurbed for $70 or new from best buy for around $75-80. other options that would be good options are the corsair HS50, the Astro A10, but one to consider as well is the Arctis 3 because I hear they are super well made, comfortable and have great sound quality. All of the ones listed have around the same level of sound quality at this range they're all gonna be around the same. I listen to a lot of music and the HYperX Cloud Stinger have very good sound quality.

OP: SHP9500 (open back) + vmoda boompro and you get yourself a superb gaming headset at $100. 

Closed back option, you can go for m40x but you need to change the pads in order to get maximum comfort, the stock pads are not the best.

7 hours ago, emerald_piggy said:

I personally have the HyperX Cloud Stinger and they are so dang comfortable! Sometimes I forget they are even on my head. They go for $50 but if you can spend a little more than that maybe take a look at HyperX Cloud II because they are rediculously comfortable (more than Stinger) and you can get them refurbed for $70 or new from best buy for around $75-80. other options that would be good options are the corsair HS50, the Astro A10, but one to consider as well is the Arctis 3 because I hear they are super well made, comfortable and have great sound quality. All of the ones listed have around the same level of sound quality at this range they're all gonna be around the same. I listen to a lot of music and the HYperX Cloud Stinger have very good sound quality.

I have a good feeling you only tried Stinger (or gaming headsets) as per your review. I don't want to burst your bubble but once you venture to other proper brands, you will realize how bland that thing sounds.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

8 hours ago, nicobombai said:

OP: SHP9500 (open back) + vmoda boompro and you get yourself a superb gaming headset at $100. 

Closed back option, you can go for m40x but you need to change the pads in order to get maximum comfort, the stock pads are not the best.

I have a good feeling you only tried Stinger (or gaming headsets) as per your review. I don't want to burst your bubble but once you venture to other proper brands, you will realize how bland that thing sounds.

Definitely looking for something with it’s own mic, open back isn’t preferred but I could roll with that. I was looking specifically at razer kraken v2s 7.1, but what headphones are the best combination of gaming/microphone and sound quality under $100?

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

15 hours ago, nicobombai said:

My friend has HS50 and my brother has g430 and my little brother has the A10s I think I'm good

You've been given all kinds of suggestions. Do you have the luxury of trying on different pairs at a local big box store?

Audio Technica ATH-M50X ... ... ... No comment. Other than, err, try them out first?

Edited by Guest
Adding a M50X reference without irritating too many viewers

28 minutes ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

You've been given all kinds of suggestions. Do you have the luxury of trying on different pairs at a local big box store?

Audio Technica ATH-M50X ... ... ... No comment. Other than, err, try them out first?

Too expensive, no mic and no i can't go any where to try a bunch on.

My current rig:

45 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Too expensive, no mic and no i can't go any where to try a bunch on.

Fair enough. Are you willing to buy the cans & the mic separately, or do you want it as a package deal?

50 minutes ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

Fair enough. Are you willing to buy the cans & the mic separately, or do you want it as a package deal?

Package deal

My current rig:

15 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

Definitely looking for something with it’s own mic, open back isn’t preferred but I could roll with that. I was looking specifically at razer kraken v2s 7.1, but what headphones are the best combination of gaming/microphone and sound quality under $100?

Erm.. It has detachable cables which allows you to switch to whatever you please to, in this case vmoda boompro, have you looked into it? And also per my experience, detachable cables makes the durability of the headphones better as suppose the cable breaks/get spoiled, you can just replace them without the need to replace the whole headphone or mod them.

7 hours ago, emerald_piggy said:

My friend has HS50 and my brother has g430 and my little brother has the A10s I think I'm good

Okay, you're entitled to your opinion. But should you want to move towards headphones, i will encourage you to do so, it will be a day and night difference :P

SHP9500 or m40x can be your starters, or when you're outside and pass by a audio shop, just try their demo if you're curious...

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

On 13/03/2018 at 4:29 PM, hconverse02 said:

I got some cash as a gift recently, and I wanted to upgrade my current pair of headphones: https://www.amazon.com/Headset-Gaming-Headphones-Microphone-phones/dp/B073XKR2X4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1520958395&sr=8-6&keywords=sades+headphones+xbox+one to something a bit more expensive to say the least.  I like how some of razer's headphones look bit I also want to spend less than $100 (preferably $50-$75), with some good sound quality.  I'm not an audiophile, but I don't want crappy quality because I will be using them for both gaming and music. Thanks!

pick up a Sennheiser PC350 (closed) or 360 (open) mate, great mic's, decent sound, well built and comftorable. I would recommend open if you can live with sound leakage.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

5 hours ago, ShoshinUK said:

pick up a Sennheiser PC350 (closed) or 360 (open) mate, great mic's, decent sound, well built and comftorable. I would recommend open if you can live with sound leakage.

Little out of the budget :P I found a pair of kraken v2s on sale, i think that is the pair I'm most comfortable justifying spending almost $100 on a pair of headphones.

My current rig:

4 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

Little out of the budget :P I found a pair of kraken v2s on sale, i think that is the pair I'm most comfortable justifying spending almost $100 on a pair of headphones.

Krakens are some of the worst sounding headphones ever.

8 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Krakens are some of the worst sounding headphones ever.

Sorry if i didn't make it clear, but gaming quality first, sound quality second, not a need, but a want. Then would the krakens work?

My current rig:

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

Sorry if i didn't make it clear, but gaming quality first, sound quality second, not a need, but a want. Then would the krakens work?

Gaming quality and sound quality are the same thing, Typically, if a headphone sucks for gaming, it sucks for music.

1 hour ago, hconverse02 said:

Sure, they'll work since they produce sound on both channels.....but, would be be of the quality you'd need to pinpoint footsteps and such? I don't think so! The Krakens are all about bass, and craptastic boomy bass at that, mids (which sounded a little laid back to me) is drowned out and good, clear mids is what you'd need to hear footsteps and such (to me, clear treble helps a lot too). In other words, the Kraken emphasize bass, but suck at imaging since mids  (and treble which also sounded recessed to me) are downed out by bass. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

7 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Gaming quality and sound quality are the same thing, Typically, if a headphone sucks for gaming, it sucks for music.

not really.

6 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Sure, they'll work since they produce sound on both channels.....but, would be be of the quality you'd need to pinpoint footsteps and such? I don't think so! The Krakens are all about bass, and craptastic boomy bass at that, mids (which sounded a little laid back to me) is drowned out and good, clear mids is what you'd need to hear footsteps and such (to me, clear treble helps a lot too). In other words, the Kraken emphasize bass, but suck at imaging since mids  (and treble which also sounded recessed to me) are downed out by bass. 

agreed

7 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

Can you tell us which types of games are u playing? About your requirement of gaming quality.
In general, which needs to pin point footstep (Fps and maybe some other), you should go for open-back since it has very large sound stage and anemic bass.
If you want to enjoy games with immersive sounds (BGM, gunshot, voice, etc) you better go with closed-back.
For music, it depend on your genre you listen to.
Personally, I would prefer open-back because I don't really like bass and play FPS a lot. 
In some cases i need more bass, just EQ it with my usb sound card ( Creative omni 5.1)
You should try ATH-AD500x (~$65, price on amazon) (I use 700x), but remember that it totally lack of bass and no mic.

4 hours ago, JustAChild said:

ATH-AD500x

Is there one where you could find a mic or should i get a separate mic? I'm ok with open or closed back, I need it for fps though.  EDIT: is there much of a comparable difference between the 500x and the 700x knowing that I need to fit a mic in the budget?

My current rig:

On 3/13/2018 at 3:06 PM, Max_Settings said:

SHP9500

Do you know if I can get a separate attachable mic or an actual studio mic under $40 to pair with those? I looked over reviews and at some other headphones and canceled my order for the krakens, but I definitely need a mic with the headset. EDIT: The mic can be detachable or a decent studio mic.

My current rig:

I've got a cheap set of open-backs, the Roccat Renga, i'm never going back to closed headphones again

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

51 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Do you know if I can get a separate attachable mic or an actual studio mic under $40 to pair with those? I looked over reviews and at some other headphones and canceled my order for the krakens, but I definitely need a mic with the headset. EDIT: The mic can be detachable or a decent studio mic.

Vmoda boom pro. It plugs into the headphones to have one cable.

33 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Vmoda boom pro. It plugs into the headphones to have one cable.

Is it better to get the shp9500s and a vmoda boom pro for ~$100 or the audio technica athad500x and a separate mic for about the same?

My current rig:

50 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Is it better to get the shp9500s and a vmoda boom pro for ~$100 or the audio technica athad500x and a separate mic for about the same?

I personally like the SHP more