[Update] Security flaws discovered in AMD zen processors : AMD's meltdown?

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep the conversation civil and respectful, as per the Community Standards;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

12 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There's a "well, prove it" that comes to mind. :)

I don't know about a hammer, but my last phone I accidentally dropped a full (unopened) can of sauce directly on the screen - at an angle, no less - and not so much as a scratch on it.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

I don't know about a hammer, but my last phone I accidentally dropped a full (unopened) can of sauce directly on the screen - at an angle, no less - and not so much as a scratch on it.

I break most of mine just bending when they are in my pocket.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, BroliviaWilde said:

doing a quick search and did't see this posted before:

https://www.ctsflaws.com/

Wow someone really went out of their way and spent time and money on that ;).

Yeah know if we all give more attention to CTS labs, the better *sarcasm*

9 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

let's not listen to them anymore I guess. anyone knows if any third-party is looking into this firsthand?

Looking into what exactly?

AMD has confirmed that the exploits are real, and they are working on patches to fix them.

On 2018-03-21 at 9:24 AM, Blademaster91 said:

If it doesn't matter then why did AMD confirm these exploits to be real with bios updates? Opinions of some cyber security tech is just that, people should be taking these exploits seriously and at this point CTS doesn't matter when the exploits are real even though their way of going about releasing it to the public was terrible. Interesting bias some people have when it comes to AMD,if it were Intel having the exact same issue people wouldn't be defending their brand while constantly trying to play down the issue because of an unprofessional source.

Intel is having the same issue. They use as media chips affected as well.

11 hours ago, Razor01 said:

Wow someone really went out of their way and spent time and money on that ;).

Yeah know if we all give more attention to CTS labs, the better *sarcasm*

Please, do take note of the fact that site uses "HTTPS://", so already more secure and professional than the supposed security firm... 

http://www.cts-labs.com/

11 minutes ago, JuNex03 said:

Please, do take note of the fact that site uses "HTTPS://", so already more secure and professional than the supposed security firm... 

http://www.cts-labs.com/

Spending money and time to mock someone that really is insignificant......lol, Hope whom ever did that has AMD stock or some how invested in AMD.

3 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

Spending money and time to mock someone that really is insignificant......lol, Hope whom ever did that has AMD stock or some how invested in AMD.

image.png.4d155d0656c7481e2e6c37ac45110acb.png

31 minutes ago, JuNex03 said:

image.png.4d155d0656c7481e2e6c37ac45110acb.png

Yeah stupidity has no bounds, CTS labs is a privately owned company.  So? (not geared towards you, but the person that posted that)

I can see its a joke, but its a joke that gives CTS more publicity.  People don't know what they do.  A no name company getting publicity is the same thing if its bad or good publicity.

This guy gave so much importance to CTS he went and spent time to give them more of what they are craving.  Its stupidity unless there is a motive for this person to just that.

On 3/13/2018 at 7:26 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

The fact that people soft modded 4GB RX 480s to 8GB ones points more to AMD or its AIBs shipping 8GB models with 4GB firmware.

I wonder if there's anyway I could try doing that with my 470... I mean I think there were 8GB 470s.

My card probably isnt locking down an extra 4GB of ram.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 hours ago, derr12 said:

Intel is having the same issue. They use as media chips affected as well.

In that regard, it's interesting they decided to emphasize that "AMD did not provide a time estimate for patching CHIMERA"...

On 21/3/2018 at 11:10 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

@leadeater @LAwLz

I found a way to summarize the entire discussion!

"The Flaws are real, the News is fake".

That's actually what has been going on. Only Chimera is that interesting (as the other ones were going to be patchable), and there are far more Intel motherboards with those flawed USB controllers than there are AMD. CTS is clearly working for someone with some pockets, and this seems less like a stock manipulation and more like a Media-space attack, as time goes on.

That's fairly acceptable to say. Or put in another way: "These security flaws means a completely compromised system can be compromised".

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Notional said:

That's fairly acceptable to say. Or put in another way: "These security flaws means a completely compromised system can be compromised".

You keep using the word "fully compromised", which is wrong. 

Admin access is objectively not "full privilege". 

Why do you keep insisting on using the wrong terms? The exploits are already fairly difficult and non-threatening. No need to lie in order to downplay them even further.