I feel electricity on my case.

DeagleMaster

On the marked spot I can feel a bit of electricity. I have a corsair rm750x psu. My friend says it is nothing to worry about but I'm still a bit concerned. Can anyone help me?

Snapchat-695387545.jpg

Did you install the motherboard standoffs correctly? Are any wires touching the case? Have you tried using a different power supply?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, thegreengamers said:

Did you install the motherboard standoffs correctly? Are any wires touching the case? Have you tried using a different power supply?

I installed the standoffs correctly, no wires are tuching the case, I have not tried a different psu. Should I be worried that something is wrong?

I've never heard of feeling "a little" bit of electricity. I always figured it's all or nothing :P... Meaning if something wasn't set up right you'd be feeling the same voltage from the power supply that it is supplying out.

What are the specs of your pc?

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I've never heard of feeling "a little" bit of electricity. I always figured it's all or nothing :P... Meaning if something wasn't set up right you'd be feeling the same voltage from the power supply that it is supplying out.

What are the specs of your pc?

Gtx 1070, i5 6600k, msi z170m mortar, corsair rm750x. And yes it is a little bit. I can feel it but it's not so much that its very uncomfortable.

If all your standoffs are touching and you aren't having anything from the motherboard short, then I would try using a different PSU. I have had psu's that for whatever reason weren't properly grounding back through the ground and 3rd prong. In this case you can get what you are describing.

I would get it fix as it isn't good for you, your components, and could lead to bigger issues down the road.

This is something that happens pretty often in laptops and phones with metal frames. It's nothing to worry about. There are many reasons why you can feel it and it's next to impossible to fix without disassembling pretty much every component that has access to the computers ground(the electrical potential, not the surface it is standing on). 

Also all computers in general tend to have this on a certain level, just remove your I/O shield and you will have a noise in your speakers that sound just like this sensation here feels

Umm, is the power plug grounded? Like the plug in your wall. If you live with your parents, ask them.

I know a system that will send like a bunch of power through you because it's not properly grounded, it's not a shock but a legit flow...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Umm, is the power plug grounded? Like the plug in your wall. If you live with your parents, ask them.

I know a system that will send like a bunch of power through you because it's not properly grounded, it's not a shock but a legit flow...

Yes it feels more like a flow and less like a shock. If the plug isn't grounded can that hurt my system? 

3 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Yes it feels more like a flow and less like a shock. If the plug isn't grounded can that hurt my system? 

If it works, not really.

The system i know that's not properly grounded is like 5 years old and shows no signs of instability and it has the issue since day 1.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

It's just not grounded, the worst thing that can happen is that if there is a short somewhere, your breaker won't trip and whatever is shorting will catch fire and you may have an electrical fire on your hands. But since it's a computer psu, there are numerous protections IC's that will intervene way before that has a chance to happen.

I've always had my PC like this even tho I have a ground pin on the wall socket, seems like it's not connected to anything in the building.

2 minutes ago, Generallee said:

It's just not grounded, the worst thing that can happen is that if there is a short somewhere, your breaker won't trip and whatever is shorting will catch fire and you may have an electrical fire on your hands. But since it's a computer psu, there are numerous protections IC's that will intervene way before that has a chance to happen.

I've always had my PC like this even tho I have a ground pin on the wall socket, seems like it's not connected to anything in the building.

But don't you think it can damage some of my components?

5 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

But don't you think it can damage some of my components?

Not unless there is a short somewhere

6 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Not unless there is a short somewhere

Do you think thats likely?

46 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If all your standoffs are touching and you aren't having anything from the motherboard short, then I would try using a different PSU. I have had psu's that for whatever reason weren't properly grounding back through the ground and 3rd prong. In this case you can get what you are describing.

I would get it fix as it isn't good for you, your components, and could lead to bigger issues down the road.

I tried using a different psu but the problem is still there

i don't think electricity concentrates in a corner, if you feel it there you should feel it trough the all case. The PSU doesn't only touch that corner does it? it doesn't seem so. Did you touched the PSU (the outside of course, do not open it)? if you don't feel it in the PSU i don't think it's possible to fell it in the case and blaming the PSU.

12 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Do you think thats likely?

Nope

Just don't worry about this 

13 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i don't think electricity concentrates in a corner, if you feel it there you should feel it trough the all case. The PSU doesn't only touch that corner does it? it doesn't seem so. Did you touched the PSU (the outside of course, do not open it)? if you don't feel it in the PSU i don't think it's possible to fell it in the case and blaming the PSU.

I dont feel it in the psu, but when I took the psu out of the case I didn't feel it on the case. But you are right. I feel it in other places on the case as well. Atleast the other 3 hinges on the back of the case.

26 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Nope

Just don't worry about this 

I found out that the house is grounded. I tried a different psu but the issue was still there. I can feel it even when the PC is turned off but plugged in.

1 hour ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

What should i do?

Get an Electrician and let him Check the Earth Connection.

With what you are saying, it is possible that you have a missing earth.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

mate put some rubber on the the threads for the power suppy screws and see if that helps 

On 3/13/2018 at 7:43 AM, DeagleMaster69 said:

I found out that the house is grounded. I tried a different psu but the issue was still there. I can feel it even when the PC is turned off but plugged in.

1 hour ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

I dont feel it in the psu, but when I took the psu out of the case I didn't feel it on the case. But you are right. I feel it in other places on the case as well. Atleast the other 3 hinges on the back of the case.

something is passing electricity to the case. Don't take the PSU out, just open the sidepanel of the case and touch the outside of the PSU, see if you fell it like you fell in the case, that should tell you if indeed is the PSU causing it

8 minutes ago, asus killer said:

something is passing electricity to the case. Don't take the PSU out, just open the sidepanel of the case and touch the outside of the PSU, see if you fell it like you fell in the case, that should tell you if indeed is the PSU causing it

I dont feel anything when I touch the pau inside the case. Also I don't feel the electricity when I touch it, i feel it when I put my upper lip on it (the hinge that is).