Awful Screen Tearing - HELP

husky9

So I recently completed the first PC I have ever built. Its pretty basic with the following parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nn9btg. The purpose of this PC is to be a replacement for my cable box, Apple TV, and DVD/BlueRay player.

For the most part and for being the first PC I have ever put together it is working well but when watching Netflix, YouTube, and YouTube TV I get the WORST screen tearing on any scene except for those that are very, very low on motion. I am using my television, a Samsung UN55D6000 1080p LED TV. I have found and tried some of the following advice about this after searching online

1. Disable smooth scrolling in Chrome browser (Did not help)

2. Disable hardware acceleration in Chrom browser (Did not help)

3. Tried Microsoft Edge browser (No change in issue)

4. Switched from using HDMI cable to VGA cable (Still have screen tearing and lost some picture quality lol)

5. Use gaming mode on the TV (actually seemed to make it worse)

6. Connected the PC via HDMI cable to my computer monitor (curved Samsung monitor, exact model number is escaping me) and tearing is still present and nearly as bad

I have seen several posts about going into Nvidia GeForce settings and changing Vsync settings but I don't believe I have this option given I'm using the AMD APU and not a graphics card. I'm kind of stuck at this point and not sure if my 7 year old TV is the culprit or if there is something incorrect in my settings on the PC. Any guidance or help you may have would be very much appreciated, Thank you!!

Try uninstall/re-install GPU drivers?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Have you tried DDU and reinstall?

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

27 minutes ago, husky9 said:

Well in this situation the TV is causing the issue. Even though TV manufacturers often say that TVs' are reaching 100hz refresh rate, that refresh rate is not true at all. Try using a monitor and check if that screen tearing is still available. 

This is caused by the fact that the GPU can output a higher number of frames per second than the TV could handle and the screen tearing is the result of 2 or more frames that exit the GPU displayed on one frame offered by the TV.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Thank you very much to all three of you for helping me out with some advice. I'm still very new so sorry if I don't seem to completely know what is going on!

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Try uninstall/re-install GPU drivers?

Since I am using the AMD APU will I have specific GPU drivers that work for it? I assumed because it was an APU with integrated graphics that I wouldn't have graphic drivers like I would if I were running a discrete GPU....

3 hours ago, JaegerB said:

Have you tried DDU and reinstall?

I'm very sorry but I'm not sure what DDU is referring to....Not trying to be a smart A$$ just haven't heard of the particular acronym.

3 hours ago, R3ep3r said:

Well in this situation the TV is causing the issue. Even though TV manufacturers often say that TVs' are reaching 100hz refresh rate, that refresh rate is not true at all. Try using a monitor and check if that screen tearing is still available. 

This is caused by the fact that the GPU can output a higher number of frames per second than the TV could handle and the screen tearing is the result of 2 or more frames that exit the GPU displayed on one frame offered by the TV.

I did connect the PC to my computer monitor that I use as an external display for my Macbook Pro in my office and the issue appeared to be unchanged. I also have heard that the screen tearing cause is because the PC can push out more frames than the display can handle so you are showing multiple frames at one time when the tearing actually occurs. 

Would I be better off getting a low end graphics card (something like a 1030 or 1050) that might have some additional "settings" the Ryzen APU does not have? For instance could I cap the graphics output  to a maximum frame rate to prevent overwhelming the TV?

Again, thanks for taking a look at my post and providing feedback, I'm still trying to wrap my head around many of these important details...

5 hours ago, husky9 said:

So I recently completed the first PC I have ever built. Its pretty basic with the following parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nn9btg. The purpose of this PC is to be a replacement for my cable box, Apple TV, and DVD/BlueRay player

Hold on. on the link you are not listing any Discrete GPU. do you have one? If it is a APU try the following:

Uninstall drivers from AMD. (Start -> Type uninstall programs -> Look for the driver and uninstall

Re install from AMD website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-processors-radeon-vega-graphics/amd-ryzen-5-2400g

In the catalyst control center look for: Switchable graphics application settings. 

Choose google chrome (chrome.exe) and force it to use the Vega card you have from the CPU/GPU combo

3 hours ago, Darkmaster29 said:

Hold on. on the link you are not listing any Discrete GPU. do you have one? If it is a APU try the following:

Uninstall drivers from AMD. (Start -> Type uninstall programs -> Look for the driver and uninstall

Re install from AMD website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-processors-radeon-vega-graphics/amd-ryzen-5-2400g

In the catalyst control center look for: Switchable graphics application settings. 

Choose google chrome (chrome.exe) and force it to use the Vega card you have from the CPU/GPU combo

You are correct, I don’t have a discrete GPU.

So maybe a stupid question but if I uninstall the driver will the lack of having a driver installed before reinstalling the new driver cause issues with the PC being able to run....I’m really sorry if this is a super dumb question lol 

It should run with the Windows Native Drivers. Make sure you download the drivers prior the uninstall just for the sake of being quick while troubleshooting. Let me know how it goes.

5 hours ago, husky9 said:

I'm very sorry but I'm not sure what DDU is referring to....Not trying to be a smart A$$ just haven't heard of the particular acronym.

8 hours ago, R3ep3r said:

Display Driver Uninstall, its a program that uninstalls your graphics drivers, allowing you to reinstall them.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

6 hours ago, Darkmaster29 said:

So....

I started following your instructions to uninstall the old drivers and when I went to do this I couldn't find any AMD drivers to uninstall....Hmmmmm

So I followed your link to download drivers for my processor, downloaded them and the issue seems to be much much less severe than before. Additionally, I now have an AMD Radeon Settings program that I believe installed as part of the driver package that has some options for me to go into and change things.

What I'm wondering (based on what your help has led me to) is if I was running on the Native Windows Drivers that were explained to me above this whole time as I never installed any drivers upon first build/setup of my new PC. Is that why my video was so poor and is now looking better?

Again, thank you guys for the help! Just installing the drivers seems to have made an improvement! 

13 hours ago, husky9 said:

So....

I started following your instructions to uninstall the old drivers and when I went to do this I couldn't find any AMD drivers to uninstall....Hmmmmm

So I followed your link to download drivers for my processor, downloaded them and the issue seems to be much much less severe than before. Additionally, I now have an AMD Radeon Settings program that I believe installed as part of the driver package that has some options for me to go into and change things.

What I'm wondering (based on what your help has led me to) is if I was running on the Native Windows Drivers that were explained to me above this whole time as I never installed any drivers upon first build/setup of my new PC. Is that why my video was so poor and is now looking better?

Again, thank you guys for the help! Just installing the drivers seems to have made an improvement! 

Well, I'm glad my assistance was helpful.

Enjoy your day.