Next Car Suggestions

divito

An inquiry to the knowledgeable car people. I'll be in the market for a car within the next 6 months or so, and I'd like to get some more options, should they exist.

Firstly, I have a 2005 Infiniti G35X that I got used for about $6000 and have driven the crap out of it. I've put a good 115,000 km on it in just under 4 years and it now sits at 287,000ish. Now I've seen several G35s go well into the 300s and as high as 400,000 km, but I'm not so much worried about the engine as I am about the rest of the car. The condition I got it in was pretty good, but body-wise, I haven't taken care of it very well, and there are other repairs that are creeping up due to my driving.

Now, on the low end, I'm probably looking at around $2000 to fix it and get me another year or two out of it. If I fix it with the intention of getting even more life, it'd probably be closer to $5000, which understandably, has me looking at other vehicles where I can use that money for a down payment.

This car has given me a fresh appreciation for power and acceleration, even at higher speeds, so my first question goes to, what spec relates to such an experience? 

Outside of that, my list of requirements are as follows:

1. 2010 or newer; not brand new.
2. AWD, cause Canada.
3. 6-cylinder.

4. Decent options/features.

5. Preference to Japanese makes.

6. Reasonable maintenance life/cost.

7. Budget will probably be around $15,000-$20,000 (subject to change, market effects, etc).

My initial searches with that criteria have revealed a top 4 choices of: an Infiniti G37X or Q50, a Subaru Legacy 3.6R, or a Lincoln MKZ. I'm curious if anyone knows of other cars that fit the criteria that might interest me. I should note that I'm not opposed to an SUV, but ultimately prefer a sedan that has accommodations for a child, and my ball hockey gear.

Are trucks out of the question?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

27 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I am very tempted by that Q5. But it's practically out of warranty so the repair costs are going to be through the roof, not to mention at least in Vancouver, you're going to be paying a premium to insure that. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

53 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Are trucks out of the question?

Not out of the question, no. There's not much I'd need a truck for, but I've always been interested in something like a Titan if I were to go down that route.

54 minutes ago, QuestionxThree said:

2010 Chrysler 300 all blacked out 

I could not pull that off, lol.

Just now, divito said:

Not out of the question, no. There's not much I'd need a truck for, but I've always been interested in something like a Titan if I were to go down that route.

Tacomas are good trucks, too.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Audi's are nice, I'd just be scared of the potential maintenance costs. MKZ has that as a deterrent as well, given the reports out there. 

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Guess not

Sorry, I wasn't sure if that was addressed to me, though seems weird to not assume that.

On basic stuff yes, but I'm the Logistics/Operations Manager for a Canadian Tire store, so getting my car into the shop and some discounts with the techs is pretty easy.

If you're okay with a van, Toyota Sienna AWD. There's a reason why all taxi vans are Siennas.

3.6L Subaru Outback or Toyota Venza V6. These crossovers are really just jacked up wagons, not SUVs like most of them, so you're getting something close to a sedan.

Ford Flex AWD - basically a Taurus wagon with seating for 6 or 7 and lots of space for anything you want to throw in it. Because it shares mechanicals with a popular cop car, it should be able to be abused and still run great at the end of the day. Comes with an option for a ~400hp twin turbo engine if you want performance. Only suggesting it because you named the Lincoln MKZ in the OP, suggesting you're okay with Ford products. However, I'm not sure if you'd like the Flex's looks because it's a little van like.

As for a sedan, I'll suggest either the Lexus GS350 AWD if you want something slightly bigger to fit your ball hockey gear without using rear seat space (if you don't have too much, then it would be overkill, so don't get it if that's the case). Or, you can get the G37x because it seems to suit Nick Van Berkel's active lifestyle pretty well