Language to Jump in to

newcbomb

And still you have no chance to see what's happening in the backend. Name your sources that Elixir is more common than C, please. 

But the original question was not about numbers, if you missed that. 

Write in C.

Learn java and program for android!!!

Sudo make me a sandwich 

14 hours ago, wasab said:

Learn java and program for android!!!

Or get into machine learning, computer graphics, IT security fields.Why is everyone so obsessed with app (mobile/web) development and web design?

42 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Or get into machine learning, computer graphics, IT security fields.Why is everyone so obsessed with app (mobile/web) development and web design?

Because android is awesome?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 minutes ago, wasab said:

Because android is awesome?

Teaching machines to do stuff is even awesomer xD (an OS, whose users don't even get security updates, let alone OS updates, is far from awesome).

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Teaching machines to do stuff is even awesomer xD (an OS, whose users don't even get security updates, let alone OS updates, is far from awesome).

What do you mean? Android Oreo was released in August.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

What do you mean? Android Oreo was released in August.

I mean that most users don't even receive security updates, what does phone (or SoC) manufacturer have to do anything with these?Every desktop and laptop computer can receive security updates (some can use new OS with or even without motherboard drivers).

2 hours ago, MyName13 said:

I mean that most users don't even receive security updates, what does phone (or SoC) manufacturer have to do anything with these?Every desktop and laptop computer can receive security updates (some can use new OS with or even without motherboard drivers).

You said android does not receive security updates, not phone. As far as I am concern, the android operating system gets a newer version from google every year and patches are very frequent and as an open sourced project, it has many variants, custom roms and all that. By not getting an update, you meant the phone not getting an update, it has nothing to do with the OS

Sudo make me a sandwich 

23 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

And still you have no chance to see what's happening in the backend. Name your sources that Elixir is more common than C, please. 

But the original question was not about numbers, if you missed that. 

You can see them by headers, some put X-Powered-By header, others reply with specific content type for example spring (Java framework): 

Content-Type: application/vnd.spring-boot.actuator.v1+json;charset=UTF-8

None of my sites send that header. But you're still ignoring the point.

Write in C.

Java is the best choice for someone who just wants to get into programming in the most intuitive and beginner-friendly way in my opinion. Java gives you a smooth and useful introduction to the most essential aspects of a programming lanuage. It's one of the easiest programming languages to get started with, and it's the basis for a lot of important frameworks that are even used commecially today.

Python is amazing in terms of programming efficiency (you can really quickly produce working programs, and many aspects of it are considerably easier to understand), but it's not a good language for a beginner who needs to know the basic principles of programming. 

Suggesting to learn Python in order to code is like recommending someone to take walks in order to train for a marathon; you'll experience that you're missing essential training in order to accomplish your task. Python is something you should start learning after you know the basic principles of programming.

1 hour ago, Raxzzer said:

Java is the best choice for someone who just wants to get into programming in the most intuitive and beginner-friendly way in my opinion. Java gives you a smooth and useful introduction to the most essential aspects of a programming lanuage. It's one of the easiest programming languages to get started with, and it's the basis for a lot of important frameworks that are even used commecially today.

Python is amazing in terms of programming efficiency (you can really quickly produce working programs, and many aspects of it are considerably easier to understand), but it's not a good language for a beginner who needs to know the basic principles of programming. 

Suggesting to learn Python in order to code is like recommending someone to take walks in order to train for a marathon; you'll experience that you're missing essential training in order to accomplish your task. Python is something you should start learning after you know the basic principles of programming.

Well, python is better than throwing a beginner straight at C++.

Main issue for beginner is understanding object oriented programming. Many do not know how to code beyond the main function. The key is to understand object, inheritance, and polynorphism.

If you know OOP, 50% of the learning is already done and you can learn OOP with any of the object oriented language so why not start with the easiest one? The rest is just picking up the syntax plus additional features. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 minutes ago, wasab said:

Well, python is better than throwing a beginner straight at C++.

That's very true, and there's a reason why I didn't recommend C++ either. Despite the Java syntax being somewhat derived from C++, the language behaves rather differently. This is very advantageous for a few reasons:

1. You get to be productive and focus on coding contrary to C++, where you'll spend your time debugging pointers and other difficult aspects of the language until you get the hang of them, which is generally a nightmare. Java is a very forgiving and intuitive language in comparison.
  2. You'll become familiar with the C++-like syntax, which is super convenient for when you'll have to dive into either C# or C++ later.

It's kind of the best of both worlds for a beginner, where you'll get used to a widely used syntax while also writing code that's easy to get up and running. 

Main issue for beginner is understanding object oriented programming. Many do not know how to code beyond the main function. The key is to understand object, inheritance, and polynorphism.

This is another great reason why Java is a better starting language for beginners compared to Python. Object-oriented programming(OOP) is one of the very core concepts of Java development. It's something you will get the hang of, or at least get a basic undertanding of,  while learning Java. OOP is generally less central in Python, despite still being important and widely used. In my opinion, OOP is more natural to get exposed to through Java. In Python I didn't feel nearly as paradigm-bound back when I learned it.

If you know OOP, 50% of the learning is already done and you can learn OOP with any of the object oriented language so why not start with the easiest one? The rest is just picking up the syntax plus additional features. 

Java is already quite easy. That's why it's one of the most commonly taught languages in colleges and universities in addition to Python. You're missing out on a lot if you choose to learn Python as your first laguage (significant differences in the type system, differences in intended pardigms, difference in "strictness"), and you'll waste a lot more time when you'll later want to dive into C# or C++.

I guess my main point is that they're both very beginner-friendly languages, but you'll pay for it later if you learn Python first and choose to move forward with other programming languages at a later point.

Why Python is a great language for beginners, I'd not recommend it if you develop on Windows. You'll be fine at the start but once you need to start using non standard libraires you can be sent down a very deep rabbithole. A lot of 3rd party libraries are .... challenging.... for a beginner to get working on Windows.  

16 hours ago, Raxzzer said:

You get to be productive and focus on coding contrary to C++, where you'll spend your time debugging pointers

At least if you're not familiar with both RAII and C++'s *_ptr concepts.

Write in C.

On 3/18/2018 at 3:18 PM, wasab said:

You said android does not receive security updates, not phone. As far as I am concern, the android operating system gets a newer version from google every year and patches are very frequent and as an open sourced project, it has many variants, custom roms and all that. By not getting an update, you meant the phone not getting an update, it has nothing to do with the OS

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?You still haven't answered my question.

I think this topic has probably reached the stage where the OP isn't going to get any more useful info. Arguing about the best language isn't helpful.

Topic locked.

HTTP/2 203