So I'm gonna be a Dad, what tech can make my life easier?

Muffinmaddness
3 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

screw tech, he's talking about a baby, tech is the last thing he needs, and he won't have time to use it anyways xD

True ... Just ask my brand new 8700, Z370 board and DDR4 kid stuffed in a drawer!!! :(

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

@Muffinmaddness another tech related thing; having a car stereo with an AUX input, the wife and I always use it, even on short trips.

You could have other reasons, but for me, it's because my wife is Chinese and there isn't any c-pop, k-pop or j-pop on the radio, that's why we use it. That could also replace the tablet I mentioned, not sure why I forgot :P

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

15 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>Because OP lives in America.

image.png.7597f75047ad8a38f96ea8c5f2dd10e4.png UK must be the new 51st state?

Shutters man, what are they good for?

what does living in america have to do with anything?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

what does living in america have to do with anything?

All our plug sockets in the UK have shutters over the Live and Negative terminals that are only opened by the much longer Earth post on the plug

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

3 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

All our plug sockets in the UK have shutters over the Live and Negative terminals that are only opened by the much longer Earth post on the plug

interesting, but my point still remains, the second you can't hear them is the very moment they do something wrong

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

5 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

this is starting to happen on new US plugs but not quite to the level of the UK. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

interesting, but my point still remains, the second you can't hear them is the very moment they do something wrong

I'm not doubting that

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

this is starting to happen on new US plugs but not quite to the level of the UK. 

We Americans tend to disable any safety devices that our houses come with. To think that someone would upgrade to these unless forced to is quite laughable. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

We Americans tend to disable any safety devices that our houses come with. To think that someone would upgrade to these unless forced to is quite laughable. 

new construction will have them and major renovations will as well.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

new construction will have them and major renovations will as well.

Residential, not likely.

10 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Those can fail. All safety mechanisms can fail.

Better to act as if no safety mechanism existed than rely on a myriad of of them.

15 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

You could have other reasons, but for me, it's because my wife is Chinese and there isn't any c-pop, k-pop or j-pop on the radio, that's why we use it. That could also replace the tablet I mentioned, not sure why I forgot

Or a cassette adapter.

Because Radio doesn't play Black Metal, Screamo, Jrock, German Industrial, Electro Swing, good country, or the uncensored version of Tool's Aenima.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

My son was born 2/26/17. I received my Nintendo Switch 3/3/17 and it was the best thing ever for one reason. Joy-cons.

Being able to play, hold my baby, and have a joy con in each hand separately was awesome. I could stand up, bounce my child, and have my hands crossed holding the controller and still play some Breath of the Wild.

Get a Switch. It's the best way to game with a newborn.

Noise canceling headphones and a scotch rotater

First of all. My condolences to you. For you will never sleep again. 

But seriously, congrats. As a father of a 4 year old and a 3 month old I can tell you a few things. 

1: if your not doing breast feeding...save your money for formula. Its expensive.

2: if your not using re-usable diapers....save your money for diapers. There expensive. 

3: video baby monitor is a nice thing to have. Especially if you can get more than one camera for it. 

4: as your child ages a tablet is a great thing. Especially if it has its own data package so they can be occupied anywhere with it. 

5: toys. You don't need to buy new. But if you do and are planning for more kids in the future try to get toys that are made very strong. 

6: don't expect to sleep with your significant other for long periods of time. They baby will see that is interrupted. 

7: this is a must. Try to find time for yourself or you will go insane. Every Friday my wife and I have the house to ourselves. Abuelo and Abuela take the kids. (And no I'm not Hispanic. My wife is Cuban. I needed to lower the amount of pasty white in my family)

But most importantly, just do the best you can and all will be good. I might not be the best father but I would do anything for my kids. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Oddly, Phillips hue lighting.

I placed a single Phillips Hue Bloom in my bedroom - strategically positioned to reflect light off of the walls/ceiling near where we change diapers.  There is nothing worse at night, than turning on all the lights in your room, just to change a diaper.  Everyone goes blind, and you piss off the baby. 

I have a scene called 'Diaper Change' and I use IFTTT to recognize, "OK Google, Diaper Change".  This turns off all of my other hue lights in the bedroom, and turns the Phillips Hue Bloom to 100% power white light.  This is just bright enough to change a diaper.

The ability to turn off the lights in any room, while holding a baby is super awesome.  (Pro Tip - check your local utility site, we got huge rebates for every Hue bulb we bought.)

Ignore anyone who isn't being paid to look after you or your kids health.

Baby led weaning FTW.

Get a tablet so you can share a calendar of appointments with your other half.   As soon as you or your partner make an appointment and put it in your phone it updates the tablet at home and this reduces double booking (everything from parties to pediatrics).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, Muffinmaddness said:

So yeah, I've just learnt im gonna be a father, so exciting! so my question is, what do other dads on here use tech wise to help in their lifes, if any, or are you all old school?

My dad says amazon alexa really helps (he and my mum had another child a year agp)

12 hours ago, Muffinmaddness said:

So yeah, I've just learnt im gonna be a father, so exciting! so my question is, what do other dads on here use tech wise to help in their lifes, if any, or are you all old school?

Like already stated by @Jtalk4456 and others, tech is not the prio at this moment (baby stage). Again repeating: Coffee maker and a baby monitor :D 

And my own experience with 2 daughters taught me this:

• The baby stage is the easiest stage, take advantage of that to relax when u can. (at this stage they sleep, feed, cry, sleep, ect)
  • You will get offered baby clothes, you might think you will get to much.. IT IS NEVER ENOUGH!!!!! trust me.
  • If the baby has cramps or any other reason why it wont stop crying, do not hesitate to take the baby with you somewhere away from your wife.
    Take a stroll, ride a car (most babies will sleep when moving even when crying), do whatever to get her some rest.
    As a father its easier to drown out the crying and kinda of ignore it, but the mom will feel the crying and be affected by it much more then you can imagine. By leaving it will allow her to get some sleep and just relax.
  • Just a small thing, depending on gender. Keep your hand at the correct angle to stop pee when changing diapers. The release of pressure of the diaper will sometimes prompt peeing ;) 

Again, enjoy the baby years as the real work happens when they get older, start to move, talk, ask a million questions ect :D Then the real fun starts (no pun)

9 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I second both

Do NOT buy these, the second you put headphones on is the second the kid sticks a fork in the outlet and the house catches on fire and the toilet floods.

Its only 110 volts,As a kid i did stick my finger in a light socket i learned not to do that again.

44 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Like already stated by @Jtalk4456 and others, tech is not the prio at this moment (baby stage). Again repeating: Coffee maker and a baby monitor :D 

And my own experience with 2 daughters taught me this:

• The baby stage is the easiest stage, take advantage of that to relax when u can. (at this stage they sleep, feed, cry, sleep, ect)
  • You will get offered baby clothes, you might think you will get to much.. IT IS NEVER ENOUGH!!!!! trust me.
  • If the baby has cramps or any other reason why it wont stop crying, do not hesitate to take the baby with you somewhere away from your wife.
    Take a stroll, ride a car (most babies will sleep when moving even when crying), do whatever to get her some rest.
    As a father its easier to drown out the crying and kinda of ignore it, but the mom will feel the crying and be affected by it much more then you can imagine. By leaving it will allow her to get some sleep and just relax.
  • Just a small thing, depending on gender. Keep your hand at the correct angle to stop pee when changing diapers. The release of pressure of the diaper will sometimes prompt peeing ;) 

Again, enjoy the baby years as the real work happens when they get older, start to move, talk, ask a million questions ect :D Then the real fun starts (no pun)

Your right on the pee thing,My nephew liked to play squirt gun and laughed when he did it.

1 minute ago, andrewmp6 said:

Its only 110 volts,As a kid i did stick my finger in a light socket i learned not to do that again.

Its not the voltage that kills, its the current. Anything above 50V can kill you if it can deliver enough current.

Thats why tazers and such do not kill you even its 2-10KV (low current and with tasers you control the path of the current, and yes ppl can still die with bad hearts and other issues ;) )

Not really tech, but use the FB local Buy & Sell pages (or wherever has them) to get bundles of clothes. You can then sell them on for a similar price once they've outgrown them, which will not take long, particularly when they're a newborn. No point in wasting all your money buying a ton of new clothes and they wear them once or twice before they're too big. Also, they really don't need all the toys when they're young, they just take up every bit of space you have.

13 hours ago, Muffinmaddness said:

So yeah, I've just learnt im gonna be a father, so exciting!

My friend had the exact same attitude until the divorce came and he had to pay child support. He can pay his bills and a few small things but that´s about it.

I would recommend a baby phone and good headphones.

Wow, thank you for all the support and PM's Iv gotten, you guys are awesome, some fantastic tips here, and im up for any advise, I have 6-8 tablets already (I buy them cheap off facebook and repair them) I also have 2 amazon echo's and I was in the middle of upgrading all my lights, the tip about the nappy change is fantastic and is one i'll defiantly set up (the hue lights) , the toys and things im buying mostly second hand due to the cost and outgrowing them quickly, I will have to invest in a baby monitor (any recommendations?)

I know I wont have time for alot of the things I usually do or the money, but im looking forward to the challenge, these tips are fantastic guys, really thank you so much. Such a great community.

This might even make a great video for linus "tech for new parents" being a Dad himself.

again thank you for all the tips please keep them coming =) 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

4 hours ago, Muffinmaddness said:

Wow, thank you for all the support and PM's Iv gotten, you guys are awesome, some fantastic tips here, and im up for any advise, I have 6-8 tablets already (I buy them cheap off facebook and repair them) I also have 2 amazon echo's and I was in the middle of upgrading all my lights, the tip about the nappy change is fantastic and is one i'll defiantly set up (the hue lights) , the toys and things im buying mostly second hand due to the cost and outgrowing them quickly, I will have to invest in a baby monitor (any recommendations?)

I know I wont have time for alot of the things I usually do or the money, but im looking forward to the challenge, these tips are fantastic guys, really thank you so much. Such a great community.

This might even make a great video for linus "tech for new parents" being a Dad himself.

again thank you for all the tips please keep them coming =) 

I agree, that would be a great video!