So I'm gonna be a Dad, what tech can make my life easier?

Muffinmaddness

So yeah, I've just learnt im gonna be a father, so exciting! so my question is, what do other dads on here use tech wise to help in their lifes, if any, or are you all old school?

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Congrats! :D

I'm not a dad but I lived with one with their kid from age 0.5-3. The only thing they really bought that was techy and for parents was a video baby monitor. Seemed to work just fine for them.

I will leave you with this though: buy a tech item if you're already committed to the function it's supposed to be augmenting. Don't buy something thinking you'll commit to said function. Like one thing my roommate got was a baby bullet because they wanted to make food from fresh food. They never used it. I'm sure if they were already making food for their baby they might've used it.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm not a dad but I lived with one with their kid from age 0.5-3. The only thing they really bought that was techy and for parents was a video baby monitor. Seemed to work just fine for them.

I will leave you with this though: buy a tech item if you're already committed to the function it's supposed to be augmenting. Don't buy something thinking you'll commit to said function. Like one thing my roommate got was a baby bullet because they wanted to make food from fresh food. They never used it. I'm sure if they were already making food for their baby they might've used it.

thanks buddy =), and yeah great advice having to change a routine because of the item means its already failed , will definitely keep that in mind

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

[...]

I will leave you with this though: buy a tech item if you're already committed to the function it's supposed to be augmenting. Don't buy something thinking you'll commit to said function. [...]

Honestly that's good advice for a lot of things, not just specific to this thread.  Exercise equipment comes to mind...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Congrats,

What ever you do, don't be like me and teach them to be a troll... Did that with my nephew xD

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

32 minutes ago, Muffinmaddness said:

So yeah, I've just learnt im gonna be a father, so exciting! so my question is, what do other dads on here use tech wise to help in their lifes, if any, or are you all old school?

Congrats man.

Buy a set of these ASAP.  You can thank me later.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones.html

I'm actually being kind of serious when I say earplugs. I'm not a dad but I've hung out with my cousin many times who is one. His son is only 4 years old right now but this kid SCREAMS constantly and about everything. You can feel your eardrums reverberating as he hits his high notes and holds them for 5 seconds. Does it every day when he doesn't get his way. His younger sister on the other hand is the polar opposite. She never makes a sound, pleasant to be around.

Dad here.

When they are a bit older an ipad/tablet with a heavy duty case is good.

There are a bunch of bottle warmers and things like that which you'll use for a few months and then never need again (till the next one comes along!!) but if you have the $$$ or get it as a gift then they are nice to have.

You'll be amazed at how fast your kid will learn things.  Expose them to things you like and they will like them too.  

An "I Did Your MOM Last Night" billboard? 

I'd look into a baby monitor and possibly a Roomba..

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Tunnelbear ! The easy to use VPN that ma-

oh wait wrong thread.

But seriously : coffee , headphones

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

A condom, but it's a little late for that now.

Pregnancy was planned but thanks for the advice... 

Specs 

Dad here, no tech will help you. Just love and nurture your child. I'm sure you will do fine. What are you hoping for (boy or girl)?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Dad here; nothing really specific for child but: Plex, HTPC/tablets for entertainment at home and on the go, baby monitor/camera system (spare phone, Nest, etc..), and that's probably it. Toys are nice for kids and all, but as with a lot of kids, they end up playing with everyday items more than the toys you buy them.

3 hours ago, geo3 said:

A condom, but it's a little late for that now.

There's tech for that too, or so Hollywood would have me believe...

Spoiler

terminator.jpg

Congrats!

Dad here, as somebody else mentioned, a good baby monitor (video or not, doesn't matter IMO). Then when he/she is old enough, a tablet or one of your prior phone is helpful to keep him/her busy when you can't "parent" (BTW, it WILL happen, so don't beat yourself over it, as long as you don't "park" your kid in front of it, it's going to be fine).

If you think you'll do road trips, a tablet with enough storage and a holder that will attach it to the back of the car seat can be useful. I usually kept kids music video on it and would sing with her to keep her busy!

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Kuerig with a reusable filter is life.

I second both

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Congrats man.

Buy a set of these ASAP.  You can thank me later.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones.html

Do NOT buy these, the second you put headphones on is the second the kid sticks a fork in the outlet and the house catches on fire and the toilet floods.

So I have 4 kids, I've got a few pieces of honest advice here. Do NOT buy a bottle warmer, take the top off the bottle, nipple and all, stick only the bottom part with the formula/milk in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, depending on your microwave. That should get it roughly perfect in temperature. 

you DO want a decent baby monitor, doesn't need to be color, but you want a camera, not just a mic and speaker. 

do NOT spend hundreds on toys, go to goodwill and find a giant stuffed animal bigger than the kid for a buck or less.

Music is your best friend, it will keep them occupied when awake and help put them to sleep when it's bedtime.

Get them on a schedule and KEEP them on it, there's several apps that will help you with this. By 3 months old, my wife has all of our kids sleeping through the night with just one bottle about 12-2AM and they fall right back asleep until 7 or 8 AM.

Do NOT use baby talk and jabber, they will copy and you'll be struggling later to teach them that "footsies" is not how they say feet. 

there's a few things you need above all else

good bottles, i use avent

good soft blanket, spend a few extra bucks getting the softest you can find, you won't regret it

a wedge for the crib

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Summer-Infant-Crib-Wedge/197594578?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=4574&adid=22222222227081896501&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=194998673016&wl4=pla-310043387946&wl5=9009900&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=197594578&wl13=4574&veh=sem

and a boppy pillow

https://shop.boppy.com/b2c/product/boppy-bare-naked-pillow

I have lots more of advice to share with you if you have any questions

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

lol, I tried to keep my reply related to tech as much as possible, but yeah, what @Jtalk4456 said ... 110%, and more xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

lol, I tried to keep my reply related to tech as much as possible, but yeah, what @Jtalk4456 said ... 110%, and more xD

screw tech, he's talking about a baby, tech is the last thing he needs, and he won't have time to use it anyways xD

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

4 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Do NOT buy these, the second you put headphones on is the second the kid sticks a fork in the outlet and the house catches on fire and the toilet floods.

>Because OP lives in America.

image.png.7597f75047ad8a38f96ea8c5f2dd10e4.png UK must be the new 51st state?

Shutters man, what are they good for?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III