GabenJr

Gaming on the iMac Pro - How bad can it be?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Despite its "pro" marketing, the iMac Pro still has a Vega 56 inside - Can it possibly hope to drive that beautiful 5K display? And can we do better?

Buy an iMac Pro on Apple.com: http://geni.us/3XSQI

Buy a Titan Xp from NVIDIA: http://geni.us/Gnou

Buy a Radeon RX Vega 56
From Amazon: http://geni.us/zmfl
From Newegg: http://geni.us/UmB54

Anthony @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP             

I'm a handsome man with a charming personality. - Gabe Newell

real question does Res matter more than sweet FPS ?

I am scared of normal people, I like RGB. anime is luv anime is life ( so is  @Ashiella lol). I right now go to school

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

I would say I have been a gamer all my life but I don't have one lol

to breakout the slammer you need a sledge hammer

It still needs RGB.

PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i5 6600k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , XFX R9 390 DD 8GB, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Did you guys try installing windows and running crossfire with an external GPU? I assume it would be horrible if it even works at all.

It didn't really give us the option, though I'm sure it's possible to make it work.

Anthony @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP             

I'm a handsome man with a charming personality. - Gabe Newell

but can it run ac:o?

Coffeemaker: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P • i5-8600k  • Corsair H110i GT • Corsair 2933MHz • STRIX 470-08G • EVGA 750G2 - Corsair 730T

3rd world peasant

Spoiler

The Furnace: 990FXA GD-65 V2 + Thermalright HR-09U 2x40mm + TT Extreme Spirit II ♦ AMD FX-8350 @4.845 GHz 255x19 ♦ Corsair H100i ♦ G.skill TridentX 2133 @2379MHz ♦ MSI R9 290x 8G ♦ Corsair CX650 ♦ WD Black 1TB ♦ Corsair C70 Army

On 3/12/2018 at 3:40 PM, arychj said:

What keyboard do they have paired with the mac in this video?

That'd be the Logitech Craft keyboard - https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/craft?crid=27

Unless you mean the one without the knob, which is the space grey variant of the magic keyboard, only available with the iMac Pro... for now. - Update: Now available for regular sale.

I never noticed the imac mouses, but them 800 dollar chairs I sure do notice. The meshy ones, yeah, professional look.

AMD Ryzen 1600X with ASUS Prime x370 Pro and Corsair Vegence 2x8GB 3466 15cas, Corsair H100i liquid cpu cooler, Samsung EVO 500GB, 4TB 7200, Asus GRX 1080 8gb rog strix, Fractal Define R4 case, Corsair RM750x, 10Gbps

Again £800 chairs with no fucking RGB or cup holders.

PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i5 6600k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , XFX R9 390 DD 8GB, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Im crossing my fingers for Apple to take the upcoming "modular" Mac Pro back to the Days of the PowerMac G5. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 6s Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: i5 4690k | Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-N WI-FI | RAM: 8GB Ballistix Sport | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Corsair H55 AiO | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

Asus already did a guide on how to game on a Mac.

Spoiler

126201708380268590.jpg.5c1fcf9b41c5005e55cbea9ca5037753.jpg

Plunder with thunder!

Kill for the thrill!

Drink up me hardies,

Til we've had our fill!

Pyo.

Great video Linus. I kinda feel like you need a backsplash or something though in your kitchen, something not glossy so it doesn't interfere with your filming. 

5 minutes ago, NewWestDave said:

Great video Linus. I kinda feel like you need a backsplash or something though in your kitchen, something not glossy so it doesn't interfere with your filming. 

If you didn't already watch the vacuum video, those are all just sets for B-roll and presentation, the sink doesn't even work.

I edit my posts a lot

Heat extraction issues on an Apple product??? (Gasp)(Shock)(Horror)

Maybe one day when the ambient temperature in Cupertino reaches 40C the rest of the world will get a better iMac Pro.

And until then, I am happy with my five radiator custom water-cooled setup that can run full tilt at 40C ambient with just a 15C delta. Because when you build something yourself to server-grade specs it not only works better than pre-built, but gives you this enormous grin on your face too :D:D:D

i was thinking about the lack of a target display mode offhand (not sure if it's addressed in this video; haven't watched it yet). what does one do to stream a second desktop to an iMac over LAN? and how would the latency be like

EDIT: oh nice the video covered Steam streaming

You guys need to show benchmark results differently, or just for longer. Look at 4:18. It's a confusing mess and it's on screen for 3 seconds. It's impossible at a glance to see what's what, and which bits are important. Viewers have no chance to interpret, unless pausing the video. Plus all benchmarks look the same, there are no visual cues as to what game is being tested, whether a card is AMD or Nvidia. Having to read all the information in the slides is slow. Game-icons/thumbnails, game-specific backgrounds, and red/green colouring or an apple logo or something would help in distinguishing objects from each other

I just wish people would let apple die already. They aren't exactly innovative anymore seems Steve Jobs passed away... and they weren't for a decent while before that as well.

We need a test of the equivalent hardware running in a linux environment. Then you will see that there is no reason for IOS. We can toss it out, buy any hardware we want and run a free OS like Ubuntu for a very similar experience.