Is the HTC U Play a good phone?

Would like to know your experiences of the 3GB RAM version of the 2017 HTC U Play. Even thoughts about the higher end 4GB version would be helpful.would also like to know about the camera as i heard its good.

Depends on your definition of a good phone. The iPhone 8+ is a good phone to me, as is the S8.

What are you using this phone for that another phone wouldn’t be good enough for?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

15 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Depends on your definition of a good phone. The iPhone 8+ is a good phone to me, as is the S8.

What are you using this phone for that another phone wouldn’t be good enough for?

HTC U Play is a budget phone. I would like to know if it gets good firmware updates, can it be reliably used for like 3 years, can it handle around 4 social media apps without drastically slowing down and crashing and its got this 16mp camera both sides and i would like to know if it good quality. I got to use the phone once, i tried the camera but on both cameras, the quality wasnt that good. There were alot of noise in the image.wonder if it was a fault in the camera in the unit that i tried or if its normal

Specs:

https://www.gsmarena.com/htc_u_play-8518.php

CPU:

performance wise, no its not. it got a cheap mediatek cpu in it. i'm not saying that mediatek is bad, is just not the top brand cpu like snapdragon or exynos. People had serious issue with Helio P10 processors as it was buggy and hot. For the price i say get a Snapdragon 450, real 8 core, cooler cpu and please note: long battery life.

Ram:

Just like the pc world, Ram is not everything. 4gb paired with slow cpu? meeh.

Camera:

Don't count the megapixels, many cheap camera use high megapixels to mask the real quality. Look at the flagship phone, most only use 12mp. Check the review first before buying to the megapixel count, look at the samples. Is not the megapixel that create good picture, its the sensor quality.

Battery:

2500mah on a 5.2 body? i would forgive this if its a 2015 or its a sub 5" phone. Minimum battery is 3000mah today, paired with power hungry cpu, this is just bad news. The battery just won't last a full day. This is really disappointing coming from HTC.

Design:

While the body is nice to look at, the general design is out of date, many budget smartphone today already has thin bezels, thin chin, curved edges, 18:9 ratio etc (xiaomi for example). This phone just look so 3 years ago.

Headphone jack: if you can live without one.

Firmware: this phone shipped with Marsmellow, all new phone should be shipped with Nougat or even Oreo. Android P is on the horizon. HTC has a history of not updating the lower tier phones. Plus Mediatek is not an easy cpu to update.

That is my 2 cents.

Look at the review before buying anything.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Specs:

https://www.gsmarena.com/htc_u_play-8518.php

CPU:

performance wise, no its not. it got a cheap mediatek cpu in it. i'm not saying that mediatek is bad, is just not the top brand cpu like snapdragon or exynos. People had serious issue with Helio P10 processors as it was buggy and hot. For the price i say get a Snapdragon 450, real 8 core, cooler cpu and please note: long battery life.

Ram:

Just like the pc world, Ram is not everything. 4gb paired with slow cpu? meeh.

Camera:

Don't count the megapixels, many cheap camera use high megapixels to mask the real quality. Look at the flagship phone, most only use 12mp. Check the review first before buying to the megapixel count, look at the samples. Is not the megapixel that create good picture, its the sensor quality.

Battery:

2500mah on a 5.2 body? i would forgive this if its a 2015 or its a sub 5" phone. Minimum battery is 3000mah today, paired with power hungry cpu, this is just bad news. The battery just won't last a full day. This is really disappointing coming from HTC.

Design:

While the body is nice to look at, the general design is out of date, many budget smartphone today already has thin bezels, thin chin, curved edges, 18:9 ratio etc (xiaomi for example). This phone just look so 3 years ago.

Headphone jack: if you can live without one.

Firmware: this phone shipped with Marsmellow, all new phone should be shipped with Nougat or even Oreo. Android P is on the horizon. HTC has a history of not updating the lower tier phones. Plus Mediatek is not an easy cpu to update.

That is my 2 cents.

Look at the review before buying anything.

hey, thank you for sharing your thoughts.