Windows 10 Update is going on without permission

bomberblyat
Go to solution Solved by bomberblyat,

fuck it xD  i will just update it and hope i dont get bsod hell

Hi!

I updated windows once, then i stopped windows update from services.msc (i set it disabled and stop so it should not go on, this has worked before), because i do not want to update more windows 10, it deletes my disable from windows 10 updates everytime i reboot my pc or something. Any help is appreciated

(Reason why i want to stop windows 10 updating is, it pops up random shit that i couldnt give a fuck some security bs etc, and i do not want it to fuckup my pc, like random reboots coz windows needs to update n stuff, DO NOT QUESTION my reasons)

Disable automatic updates

Settings -> Windows Update -> Advance Options

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

3 minutes ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Disable automatic updates

Settings -> Windows Update -> Advance Options

Pretty sure that you can't interrupt updates permanently on Windows 10 Home. It was a pro feature iirc.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Set your connection as metered as well, this way it will never auto-download updates, but will ask permission.

Settings>Network>Status>Change connection properties>Metered (Yes)

12 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

Hi!

I updated windows once, then i stopped windows update from services.msc (i set it disabled and stop so it should not go on, this has worked before), because i do not want to update more windows 10, it deletes my disable from windows 10 updates everytime i reboot my pc or something. Any help is appreciated

(Reason why i want to stop windows 10 updating is, it pops up random shit that i couldnt give a fuck some security bs etc, and i do not want it to fuckup my pc, like random reboots coz windows needs to update n stuff, DO NOT QUESTION my reasons)

Windows 10 doesn't restart your PC, unless you ignore the multiple warnings.

I don't know what pop-up you are talking about. All I can think about is Windows Defender telling you the scan result, which you can turn off.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 doesn't restart your PC, unless you ignore the multiple warnings.

I don't know what pop-up you are talking about. All I can think about is Windows Defender telling you the scan result, which you can turn off.

Alright, but do you know any way to stop windows update come on, on every reboot 

1 minute ago, bomberblyat said:

Alright, but do you know any way to stop windows update come on, on every reboot 

yes install the updates - like any sane person does these days :-)

19 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

yes install the updates - like any sane person does these days :-)

so im not sane (inane?) because i do this exact thing too?

24 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

You should have at worst 1 update per week (beside Windows Defender ones, but those don't need to restart your PC).

If it is the same update coming back, then something is definitely wrong (obviously), and we need to see in trying to correct the problem so that the update is successful, and it stops bugging you.

Oh, also, in Windows, something that will probably interest you, you can set your "Active Hours". It is found under the Windows Update section in the Settings panel. It tells Windows to not do Windows updates during a large time frame that represent a time where you don't want any down time, slow down, or detraction from it. And the cool thing about it, is that  even if you manually trigger a Windows Update during your Active Hour period, once it will need a restart, it will tell you that it will do after you are past the defined active hours, and even prompt you again to be sure when the time comes.

Also, make sure this option is turned on:

Capture.PNG.64ea0f6409bc63f29d75ac4ab187056e.PNG

(Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advance Options)

And it might also interest you that, Windows Update has the ability to have it's download throttled, to reduce the impact on your internet activity.

Again under Windows Update section in the Settings panel, go under "Delivery Optimization". :)

I've had to take to blocking windows update at router level since I also noticed the old trick of disabling the service was no longer reliable. Windows can't update if it can't reach the servers. I only turn off that rule when I choose to do the updates, not when MS thinks is good. That reminds me, now is a good time to install the February updates before the March ones come out. I don't like to be first to update. Someone else can work out what's broken.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

39 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

Hi!

add these to your desktop for ease of use and make a shortcut of ''stop windows update'' to the startup folder.

start windows update.bat

stop windows update.bat

Just now, porina said:

I've had to take to blocking windows update at router level since I also noticed the old trick of disabling the service was no longer reliable. Windows can't update if it can't reach the servers. I only turn off that rule when I choose to do the updates, not when MS thinks is good. That reminds me, now is a good time to install the February updates before the March ones come out. I don't like to be first to update. Someone else can work out what's broken.

Well actually you are not first. Those who join the insiders program are first. :)

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Well actually you are not first. Those who join the insiders program are first. :)

They don't find all the bugs that a wider general deployment does.

I admit, my use case is niche, but I feel simply not catered for by MS in Win10. Win8 and earlier did not have this artificial limitation. I simply can't have PCs rebooting when they like if unattended. I'm not going to pay more for the Pro version to get more control features just for this. I don't want to auto-login to try and resume, as it is not always possible. I don't want to run it as a service if I even can. And Linux isn't a great option either. Even if it doesn't reboot, I also don't like it installing updates in the background as it reduces system performance while it does so. I do like the Win7 approach I still have on those systems. Disable automatic updates. Once a month, check and install, reboot, done. A lot less fuss and stress.

Bring back Windows 2000! The ones before the later service packs anyway. It was the last Windows version not to nag you in any way. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

37 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

On your way of settings up Windows to your need, schedule also Windows maintenance time.

Start > type: Maintenance > Security & Maintenance. You'll get a Windows 7 panel. In it, expand Maintenance, and click on the blue link "Change maintenance settings"

Once you setup the OS to do the stuff it needs to do around you, then it doesn't affect you anymore, or just a hint

6 hours ago, liquidmagma said:

so im not sane (inane?) because i do this exact thing too?

if you say so ... :-)

well now that say so yourself: I think the same thing too.

Not installing updates and then come crying for help when shit hit the fan and something bad happened. We recently had a discussion with that kind of people, we laught and moved on.