Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WMGroomAK

nVidia GeForce Partner Program: Well Intention Marketing or Anti-Competitive

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

nvidea is showing it self as what i thought they were, just like intel they have no morals, and will do shady stuff instead of competing on a plain field, guess they aren't getting my money anytime soon.

The only issue I have with that statement is that AMD isn't any better they are just not in a dominant position at the moment due to poor marketing and fiscal decisions, public companies are always like this as the CEOs are beholden to share holders, the more the company is worth the worse it gets.

 

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

Does it open nVidia up for potential lawsuits

No, not really and given that this is in essence hearsay from a rival company it is going to be in the worst non slanderous light, granted Nvidia is going to do anything they can to better their position but no legit (you can sue for anything its just matter of whether a judge will tell laugh you out of court or not) lawsuit will come of this as it currently stands (Nvidia could eventually pull something to change that)

 

Oh and as for the title, it is neither; marketing is never well intentioned as the ends justify the means. But if it were truly anti competitive they would have already been sued.


https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I can see this being fairly clear cut as an illegal anti-competitive practice if two conditions are met:

 

If not being in the GPP effectively means partners can't compete (as they are denied technical info, given it much later etc)

If gaming brands must be aligned exclusively with gegorce effectively means partners can only sell Nvidia products. 

 

On the second point - so long as the end result is that partners can't sell AMD cards it would be an anti-competitive policy. Nvidia don't have to explicitly say "you can't sell AMD cards" so long as whatever they demand makes it impractical / uneconomical to do so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is not surprising at all... This mostly stood out to me in the gaming monitors at first where the gsync would be the creme de la creme of the line but the freesync ones would be a tier or two below those. Later I noticed it with gaming products in general were like this.


CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold, awaiting zen2 parts)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, manikyath said:

just one thing.. how can this be anti-competitive against intel?

they sell CPUs for gaming devices and are working on creating their own discrete gpus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

given that this is in essence hearsay from a rival company

While AMD did bring this to HardOCP's attention initially, they rejected that story.  The article linked in the OP was from their own research into the program.

49 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

What would have really helped AMD is if Vega was not a heaping pile of ****.

I don't know why people keep propagating this.  Granted, Vega may be more power hungry than the competition, but that doesn't make it awful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was awful, incredibly power hungry requiring significant tweaking to get it at best to perform between a 1070 and 1080 made in such low numbers they were more scarce than a feed without vacuum cleaners. Over hyped, over priced and under performing while consuming insane amounts of power that can't touch NVidia's top reference GPU much less AIB's.. that is a pile of shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another possible reason as well is that AMD knows that they would lose a lawsuit, adding to another possible reason for going to the media for the COPO.


"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

 

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

 

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Another possible reason as well is that AMD knows that they would lose a lawsuit, adding to another possible reason for going to the media for the COPO.

So many possibilities for lawsuits,  Nvidia take HardOPC to court for slander, AMD deny everything, board partners were all anonymous "off record" becasue on the record they said nothing.

 

We really haven't got much to go at all.  


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it would benefit AMD's image if they were to instead confront Nvidia in genuine American style à la hurling lawyers

Anyway an anti-competitive Nvidia is the Nvidia we all know and love, so lets turn this around and find fault with AMD instead


Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

 

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also how on earth can this be anti-competative against Intel and AMD?  a gaming system is going to have to have one of those CPU's in it.  I mean, it's not like dell or alienware can sign an agreement not to use Intel or AMD products in a "gaming" system. 

 

 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Also how on earth can this be anti-competative against Intel and AMD?  a gaming system is going to have to have one of those CPU's in it.  I mean, it's not like dell or alienware can sign an agreement not to use Intel or AMD products in a "gaming" system. 

 

 

As Linus pointed out on the WAN show, manufacturers can't afford to burn bridges. For example if Dell signed a deal with Intel to only use their CPU exclusively, and Intel badly fucked up the designs of the CPU used, it would hurt their; laptop, OEM PC and server segments significantly.


"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

 

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

 

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

As Linus pointed out on the WAN show, manufacturers can't afford to burn bridges.

But they can afford to throw accusations around like water.   Richard huddy did this every chance he got.


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Also how on earth can this be anti-competative against Intel and AMD?  a gaming system is going to have to have one of those CPU's in it.  I mean, it's not like dell or alienware can sign an agreement not to use Intel or AMD products in a "gaming" system. 

Well it has happened before, Intel. It's likely just an issue of bad wording in the agreement or something that can be easily fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

It was awful, incredibly power hungry requiring significant tweaking to get it at best to perform between a 1070 and 1080 made in such low numbers they were more scarce than a feed without vacuum cleaners. Over hyped, over priced and under performing while consuming insane amounts of power that can't touch NVidia's top reference GPU much less AIB's.. that is a pile of shit.

You might want to stipulate which Vega GPU because the Vega 64 is pretty much dead on a GTX 1080 in all but a select few games, about as many as the select few where the Vega 64 is faster.

 

Noise wise a Vega 64 AIB is quieter than Founders Editions cards and the power is higher but last I checked I and most actual people using and playing a game don't care how much power is being used. People bring up power to point at GPU temperatures and noise but both of those are completely fine with AIB cards, so yes more power but so?

 

If you want a 1080Ti level of performance and can pay for it well then guess what you'll be buying, if you don't have that kind of money and are looking at lesser card personal bias interfering with a purchase analysis is a bad thing.

 

All that being said Vega 64 is not the optimal configuration of the GPU on a technical analysis level, that goes to the Vega 56 and if you buy a 1070 over that card the price better back it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well it has happened before, Intel. It's likely just an issue of bad wording in the agreement or something that can be easily fixed.

Bad wording or dodgy reporting?

 

EDIT:  I mean what Intel did was straight up blackmail and anti consumer, however this reads that OEMS can't use AMD products in a "gaming" system, which would leave the only option being Intel for the CPU.  But the original article also claims this would disadvantage Intel.  ??


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Bad wording or dodgy reporting?

Can't know for now, doesn't look like we can actually get access to the documents to read them ourselves. I looked at the Terms and Conditions of the Nvidia Partner Program but that appears to be different to this one.

 

This is the troublesome part

Quote

NVIDIA will tell you that it is 100% up to its partner company to be part of GPP, and from the documents I have read, if it chooses not to be part of GPP, it will lose the benefits of GPP which include: high-effort engineering engagements -- early tech engagement -- launch partner status -- game bundling -- sales rebate programs -- social media and PR support -- marketing reports -- Marketing Development Funds (MDF). MDF is likely the standout in that list of lost benefits if the company is not a GPP partner.

The issue comes in if there is good reason to not want to be in GPP and why that is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Can't know for now, don't look like we can actually get access to the documents to read them ourselves. I looked at the Terms and Conditions of the Nvidia Partner Program but that appears to be different to this one.

 

This is the troublesome part

The issue comes in if there is good reason to not want to be in GPP and why that is.

That's not a quote from Nvidia though.  Where does that come from?


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That's not a quote from Nvidia though.  Where does that come from?

From HardOCP and the documents they were reading, but like above hard to know since we can't read them. For all we know they are fake or HardOCP is doing a massive stretch of interpretations to get views.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Bad wording or dodgy reporting?

 

EDIT:  I mean what Intel did was straight up blackmail and anti consumer, however this reads that OEMS can't use AMD products in a "gaming" system, which would leave the only option being Intel for the CPU.  But the original article also claims this would disadvantage Intel.  ??

Its pretty obviously for GPUs. How it effects things like APUs, if at all, is unknown. If it does effect APUs then that means it would account for AMD AND Intel chips with integrated graphics. Meaning that unless a Nvidia chip is in a laptop with those products it could not be called a "gaming" laptop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

What would have really helped AMD is if Vega was not a heaping pile of shit.

 

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I don't know why people keep propagating this.  Granted, Vega may be more power hungry than the competition, but that doesn't make it awful.

 

2 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

It was awful, incredibly power hungry requiring significant tweaking to get it at best to perform between a 1070 and 1080 made in such low numbers they were more scarce than a feed without vacuum cleaners. Over hyped, over priced and under performing while consuming insane amounts of power that can't touch NVidia's top reference GPU much less AIB's.. that is a pile of shit.

balancedpowermode.png.fdb348148b9d019b8f2a7aec8adfb9a5.png

 

I can beat a gtx1080 in half the games with 10%+ fps at 200-250W. Not sure what you are on about. The other half are... gamework titles xD

 

Granted, I paid a premium for it (750e for the watercooled vega 64), but so far I've loved my vega. Wouldn't give it up even for a lifetime of free top-tier gtx cards.

 

Spoiler

And at least we have nice-looking driver software with better options than novideo... I would pay extra just for that :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, leadeater said:

From HardOCP and the documents they were reading, but like above hard to know since we can't read them. For all we know they are fake or HardOCP is doing a massive stretch of interpretations to get views.

 

Maybe they should release said documents, I mean they spent a 1/3 of the article trying to cover their arse with letters they have sent and explanations to the readers regarding possible future fall out (even to the point of claiming any future Nvidia reviews will likely be funded in house).

 

2 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Its pretty obviously for GPUs. How it effects things like APUs, if at all, is unknown. If it does effect APUs then that means it would account for AMD AND Intel chips with integrated graphics. Meaning that unless a Nvidia chip is in a laptop with those products it could not be called a "gaming" laptop.

 

Which just doesn't sound like a good proposition from any angle.    I get why Intel did it, the case was much simpler and the power they held over OEMs was immense, but in this case it is not quite the same.  It's like a very big legal gamble for a company already at the top by such a good margin. 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

 

Maybe they should release said documents, I mean they spent a 1/3 of the article trying to cover their arse with letters they have sent and explanations to the readers regarding possible future fall out (even to the point of claiming any future Nvidia reviews will likely be funded in house).

 

 

Which just doesn't sound like a good proposition from any angle.    I get why Intel did it, the case was much simpler and the power they held over OEMs was immense, but in this case it is not quite the same.  It's like a very big legal gamble for a company already at the top by such a good margin. 

Them having the top is part of why they're doing it. They need to keep pushing more to keep shareholders satisfied. Right now the dedticated GPU market is one of their biggest money makers. Until other avenues hit off they need to keep relying on it doing better and pleasing shareholders. On top of that I can't imagine Jensen was happy about that Intel-AMD partnership. So this is a chance to cripple that from effecting their gaming laptop market. Plus, I doubt Nvidia has ever been happy with some AIBs making cards from both brands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Them having the top is part of why they're doing it. They need to keep pushing more to keep shareholders satisfied. Right now the dedticated GPU market is one of their biggest money makers. Until other avenues hit off they need to keep relying on it doing better and pleasing shareholders. On top of that I can't imagine Jensen was happy about that Intel-AMD partnership. So this is a chance to cripple that from effecting their gaming laptop market. Plus, I doubt Nvidia has ever been happy with some AIBs making cards from both brands.

It's still a very big gamble.  We know the dGPU market is shrinking (all markets are shrinking), This has effected everyone in the industry.   Nvidia's market is essentially 50/50 data centre and GTX branded cards.  They have many more options than to risk billion dollar fines on a poorly executed attempt to corner the market.   Don't get me wrong,  I strongly believe this is the easiest legal mistake not to make, So if it turns out nvidia did exactly what people are accusing them of, I will be the first to mock them publicly. 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×