NCIX Bankruptcy Auction - Day 2

Really people!? Lighting up this guy's channel for rightfully buying something when he had NO idea who Linus is. Looking at the forum community I thought we were better than this...

Good on you Linus for letting him have it, I don't think I would have done it in your shoes

That's an F in the profile pic

While his subscriber to view count is suspicious, destroying his channel seems immature, if it's built on bots as people have claimed ( I have zero proof or opinion on this ) then surely it will destroy itself over time?

Linus will get his YouTube button from the cats channel :) 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Everyone does not know let alone recognize Linus sheeeeesh you people.

5 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

intention

was to make a video and nothing else, he did not even want the plaque, its obvious.

WTF people. 

Can we all at least agree on a few things. 

1) the guy did not take the button, Linus let him have it.

2) Linus made a personal sacrifice and allowed the button to go to that guy. Whatever the reason, Linus believed his story. 

3) You all are acting like a bunch of 14yo. You tube is about expressing yourself. That guy made a channel. It's his. If it's click bait then whatever. It's HIS. Don't tag crap all over it because you don't like it, respect that everyone has the privilege to do as they want.

If you all want to help then let's band together and get Linus his cat button then he can rebrand it for the guy and trade for the original. The guy was happy with a rebrand anyways. 

And get your ass over there and at least take off your tags and defacements. That's reflecting bad on Linus tech tips. If you all keep this up then Linus will be feared based on his fans. Hello mafia of linus.

And thus concludes my rant.

I find it amusing Linus fans are going to extra lengths outside LTT forum.

19 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Do you know who I am

Dont you know who I am

LOL at his ego

To be fair after watching the video I did not have the feeling that he said it out of ego but rather to put some context in the situation (making sure they recognize his validity when he said he build the channel that got the plaque for instance and that he isn't some random dude that is spewing bullshit in order to get the plaque). 

27 minutes ago, Destroyer of electrons said:

And get your ass over there and at least take off your tags and defacements. That's reflecting bad on Linus tech tips. If you all keep this up then Linus will be feared based on his fans.

Does not surprise me in the least. The one thing I hate the most in almost everything I enjoy is extreme fanatics of said things.

I've had more productive discussions about Star Wars/MCU/DCU with people who don't like those franchises than with die hard fanatics.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

If someone came up to me and asked to buy the plaque "since I built the channel" I would be somewhat suspicious if I wasn't familiar with the channel. Hell, even if you were familiar with NCIX Tech Tips, (as far as I can tell) Linus hasn't been in a video since early 2016. You could have started watching their channel after that point and not known at all. The guy was right to be skeptical. Offering to sell it off was also a good gesture on their part. He didn't need to pay Linus any attention.

Linus really shouldn't have let the Channels name through though. The channel may be dead but even for Youtube Comments it's a cesspool.

Image result for drama llama

Can't control what people do, still going to be interesting to sit back and see how this unfolds.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

As Linus Tech Tips Turns

All of Linus' Children

Days of Linus Tech Tips Lives

General Tech Tips Hospital

Which brings up an interesting angle, Liability for Linus

I hope no fan goes too far on Chops.

9 hours ago, CCWong said:

The fact that people care about youtube subs/viewers as a viewer is very confusing to me. Clear incentives for content creators to care, viewers not so much.

It's the era of fake outrage. People taking offense on behalf of someone else who, likely, wasnt offended in the first place. 

9 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

I think it was more of a This guy came specifically to a NCIX acution for a Youtubers Play button that you would only really know if you knew of the channel. and Linus at points built and was on the channel for a long time.  Would be weird if he didnt know who linus was with the Context. Though granted he was a youtuber aswell that just wanted a play button that also more so relates him into the same world as linus and How many people only know of NCIX but not LTT.

Theres a chance he was also just full of it. i dont think it came off in a way you can really tell for sure which it was. 

Considering the auctions had online bidders, theres a chance he may not have known NCIX but saw the listing in a local auction that has a youtube plaque? I would have done my research with regards to NCIX but that doesn't mean he would. I give him a pass on this point. 

9 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I've seen a few people call this video 'filler' and I think that's rather disingenuous.  While I'm only on the outside looking in, NCIX was a big thing in Linus' life, it was a major employer of his and led to him breaking out on YouTube and eventually able to start his own media business.  With all of this spawning from years at NCIX first, I would imagine that he very much wanted to see first hand and record what was really the final dismantling of NCIX.  That kind of event would be significant to a lot of people who had a story like that.

I see what you're saying, but just thinking about who Linus is and how he talks and composes himself and his professional attitude when talking about his time at NCIX or how he makes business decisions for LMG, I think Linus would have found his calling one way or another. NCIX just happens to be one of the catalysts for that. 

9 hours ago, GrumbleStiltskin said:

It appears to me Linus never intended to bid on anything, or if he did, why does an alleged intelligent person a) turn up late, b) miss the bidding for the one thing he maybe actually wanted, c) stand in the auction room shouting as if he actually owned the place.

I think they initially wanted to bid but researched and found it wasn't worth it, but still put a 'nothing' video out anyway.

This was just a 'poke a bit of fun at the whole unfortunate mess and scoff at some idiots paying over the odds for questionable quality goods' video. Recently Linus' ego has been a little unbearable.

The last few videos on the LTT channel have been of questionable content enough for me to write this, which I find annoying as I used to really enjoy the channel.

Let alone the rancid fanbase backlash against the Mindchop channel. Regardless of his channel's video's or subscriber/likes/views ratios. He offered Linus the play button, Linus declined.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

There are no allegations, Linus is intelligent, we all are in many ways. People can be late to things, it does happen. The bidding of the lot he wanted was difficult to understand, it happened so fast and the auctioneer talked so fast I couldn't make out what he was saying but I can't speak for Linus. He may appear to be shouting but its a warehouse and he is mic'd up so it may sound louder to us than it was to everyone else. 

Once a community puts a person up on a pedestal by following him in the millions, you can't expect that person to not feel an ego boost as if they're doing something right. Thats human nature. There are very few successful and humble people. But I agree about our community backlash against mindchop, its way over the top. Also there is nothing wrong with me, dont be so rude. 

8 hours ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

I was just as mad as Linus was watching those prices... This is truly a dark era for PC builders and hardware enthusiasts imo... Unless you want to pay up to 3x the MSRP, you can't play. My local Microcenter is a playground for me on the weekends, providing me with my usual technology fix. 90% of the time the GPU and RAM shelves are empty now a days and the prices are insane. I was actually considering purchasing a PowerSpec tower the other day for $1100 because it had a GTX 1070Ti inside of it. The system has good specs for the price, and I knew I could sell the GPU for $900 and the rest of the system for ~$500 based off the i7-7700K on the inside. I DID NOT do it just to be clear, I want to be part of the solution to Hardware prices, not contribute to the problem...

A Dark era this is my friends =( 

Some people have more money than sense. I know researchers in the UK who come from Asia, pay 25k a year, and drive around in high spec BMWs and Jaguars. It isn't just an Asia issue, just an example. You know a Jaguar costs like 4x as much in China as it does in UK? I was told that by a Chinese friend.  This is a universal issue across many industries now including tech. I see people paying upwards of £1000 for a graphics card and then they'll buy the next generation top spec and just leave this one on a shelf to collect dust.

They see me floatin', they hatin'... patrolling they tryin' to catch me flyin' economy

I think all the keyboard warriors need to calm the f**k down and ACTUALLY LISTEN to Linus about what happened at the auction and about the MindChop channel ;

https://youtu.be/0Fx3DYIY-68?t=8m46s

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

After seeing the prices this stuff went for, NCIX clearly should have changed their name to 'Going Out Of Buisness Incorporated' and then had a 'Going Out Of Buisness Auction' once a month.  BOOM, entire buisness plan works as people pay $300 for a keyboard and $600 for old GPU shrouds, let the cash flow!

On 3/8/2018 at 10:58 PM, SOCOM_HERO said:

His channel is getting destroyed because it is likely a botted channel. He didn't get a 100K plaque, but could have just as easily emailed YouTube support and they would have sent him one. Then again, if his channel is filled with bots, YouTube would have likely shut him down, not given him a plaque. I doubt he has his 1MM sub plaque either. He said something to the effect that he "probably watched LTT" at some point. He knew damn well who he was speaking to, and why he was at the NCIX auction in all likelihood. I smell a rat.

No offense, but that's a very toxic attitude. You're literally calling a person a rat. Why? Because he bought a plaque at auction that Linus wanted? The guy OFFERED to sell it to Linus. At that very moment, he was "off the hook" for any ethical wrongdoing.

Plus, it was super obvious by his responses and facial expression that he had no idea at all who Linus was.

You're doing a disservice to this community by encouraging the toxic comments MindChop has gotten since the LTT video went live.

On 3/9/2018 at 7:43 AM, AshleyAshes said:

This thread is a great reminder of just how disgusting and vile so many of you nerds can be. ^_^

*Sigh*, it's actually revolting to see some of the comments in this thread, let alone the even worse ones that got posted to MindChop's videos.

It's almost as if some of the LTT forum users feel a certain entitlement, or ownership, to that Plaque. EVEN THOUGH that plaque isn't from an LTT channel.

Let's be clear: As users here, we don't own anything. And we certainly aren't entitled to anything either. Linus had a sentimental attachment to the Silver Play Button, but he didn't own it either - NCIX did. When that kid won the auction, he legally became the owner. End of story.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I think all the keyboard warriors need to calm the f**k down and ACTUALLY LISTEN to Linus about what happened at the auction and about the MindChop channel ;

https://youtu.be/0Fx3DYIY-68?t=8m46s

This also lays to rest two other incorrect rumours:

1. Linus buying the company that is NCIX - lol - I actually cringed when people believed this was possible.

2. Linus buying the NCIX Tech Tips YouTube Channel - so we actually learned a few things here. We learned that the rumours that surrounding LMG attempting to buy the channel were true, but the negotiations failed, due to legal factors (they had to buy the entire NCIX brand).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm just sad because LTT missed a great chance for a mini scrap wars.  Linus and Luke each get some cash and don't need to hide who they are.  However you have to source everything in the parking lot as people load their cars up after the auction.  

19 hours ago, Egad said:

I'm just sad because LTT missed a great chance for a mini scrap wars.  Linus and Luke each get some cash and don't need to hide who they are.  However you have to source everything in the parking lot as people load their cars up after the auction.  

Hah interesting idea.

The problem is, I think they'd find a hard time getting actual good deals, since a lot of people super overpaid, and would still be in "sticker" shock, and not willing to sell anything off for super cheap yet.

Though there would be a high chance that the whole thing would fail and neither party would get enough parts for a whole system - kind of makes it difficult to justify all the organization, planning, cost, and time to film something like that when the end result is up in the air so much.

At least with regular SYW, they can count on Kijiji and (to a lesser degree) Craigslist to always have some parts.

34 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Hah interesting idea.

The problem is, I think they'd find a hard time getting actual good deals, since a lot of people super overpaid, and would still be in "sticker" shock, and not willing to sell anything off for super cheap yet.

Though there would be a high chance that the whole thing would fail and neither party would get enough parts for a whole system - kind of makes it difficult to justify all the organization, planning, cost, and time to film something like that when the end result is up in the air so much.

At least with regular SYW, they can count on Kijiji and (to a lesser degree) Craigslist to always have some parts.

Just ensure they have to do the whole parts collecting in Pokemon cosplay.  (ALL OF IT)

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

SYW's in a small town, like Hope, BC or if thats too small, only Chillywacky

I actually like this idea. You're limited to kijiji/craigslist ads within, say, 50 KM of a rural town (one big enough for at least 2 PC's worth of used parts mind you). One that is far enough from Vancouver area.

Bonus points if they do a "road trip" theme where they go to, say, the Yukon/Alaska/Washington State, etc.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I actually like this idea. You're limited to kijiji/craigslist ads within, say, 50 KM of a rural town (one big enough for at least 2 PC's worth of used parts mind you). One that is far enough from Vancouver area.

Bonus points if they do a "road trip" theme where they go to, say, the Yukon/Alaska/Washington State, etc.

or

in support of small businesses

said small town, include local pc shops and up the price a tad

or only Van downtown area, Limits are Main Street and False Creek / any water boundry ocean

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

or

in support of small businesses

said small town, include local pc shops and up the price a tad

Yep that's a decent idea. No provincial/national chains. Independent PC shops only (small local chains would be acceptable). New parts (no used). ONLY what they keep in stock in the stores (no ordering online or having anything shipped in or special order).

@nicklmg @LinusTech I actually really like this SYW idea. Mom & pop shops only (the kind that build a "gaming computer" with a 1200 watt PSU, an i7, and a GTX 1030, and charge $1500 for it xD - okay, they aren't all that bad).

Guest ideas:

Linus + Jake vs Luke + James (I quite like this one)

Linus + Jay vs Luke + Nic

Classic Linus vs Luke

46 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Guest ideas:

Linus + Jake vs Luke + James (I quite like this one)

Linus + Jay vs Luke + Nic

Classic Linus vs Luke

Why not a bunch of newbies to the world dominating media corp known as LMG

Then have Linus and/or Luke be their product carriers and drivers, then have them surprise the sellers. They come in as the cash is being handed over and they say "Do you know who we are?" and if they do, a bit of chit chat. If they do stores, go over some history of the store. Maybe some free press, to drum up more business for them. Another idea is find the oldest store in the city, and only use them.

What about female vs female ? urgh probably will never happen that one.

That guy is getting destroyed, but in all fairness his own fanbase has left, so it looks really bad on him.  Also, if i was a youtuber and knew a silver play button was up for grabs at ncix, (thslat i wanted) maybe id watch a few videos, even if it was all brony vids