need some fan recommendations

Zohan2000

Here is my dust filled PC, gonna get some demciflex filters for it but don't know what fans to get for it, currently using the stock fans which are ok but something better wouldn't hurt, currently got 2 intake fans, 2 on the h100i and 1 exhaust, case fans are 120mm and the rad fans are 140mm, which would be the best fans to get? Am also gonna get a better psu for better cable management since the current cables are short

20180308_154203.jpg

Currently using 6 be quiet! silent wings 3 for my loop, never had a problem. Also used Noctua in the past, and they were certainly comparable. Both are highly recommended.

Here's a quote from Quiet PWM Fan Options and many more

For minimum noise and alright airflow (list in order from highest airflow to lowest):

Fractal Design - X2 GP-14 (White) 68.4 CFM @18.9 dBa

NoiseBlocker - NB-eLoop B14-2 64.3 CFM @ 16.9 dBa

be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM @ 15.5 dBa

Noctua - NF-P14s redux-900 49.3 CFM @ 13.2 dBa

NoiseBlocker - NB-BlackSilentFan XK-1 35.3 CFM @ 13dBa

I haven't used the FD's fan, so I'm hesitant to put it on (but the info about it says I should).

All of them are great - it's basically how much airflow you want and which one you like the look of the best.

If you want to look at fan options, here's a google sheet that was set up a while ago: PC Fans. All of Them.

Just a note - the data is provided by the manufactures and will have a bias towards better performance. Some companies that make good fans are BeQuiet!, Noctua, Corsair, Fractal Design and Noise Blocker.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I am just in the process of upgrading my fans I am going with 

4 Intake ML 140 

1 Exhaust ML 140

2 Akasa Piranha for the H100i GTX

Setting Installing the ML 140s and corsair command pro this weekend.

still dont know what fans i should use for best airflow through a filter and which fans to use to push through the rad of the h100i

I think Static Pressure optimized fans would be best since the HDD cage will block the front intake. 

Also, Static Pressure fans would be helpful for the radiator as well. 

Static pressure fans blow air with a higher force, which makes it easier to bypass obstacles. 

Exhaust should be normal airflow fans. 

Most manufacturers label their fans as SP (Static Pressure) and AF (Air Flow). 

It seems most people recommend 140mm fans over 120mm because 140mm can blow the same air at lower speeds, thus making it more silent. 

But what you should actually be looking at is cfm. cfm ( cubic feet per minute) is the amount of air a fan moves. 

Obviously, a 120mm fan with higher cfm will outperform a 140mm with lower cfm. 

Another factor is the price. 140mm fans are more expensive. But, if you can afford it, go for the 140mm. 

But if you can find 120mm fans, with higher cfm at a lower price, then go for the 120mm.

What's your budget and what are you hoping to improve with new fans?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What's your budget and what are you hoping to improve with new fans?

dont really have a budget at the moment, just trying to improve airflow so the GPU doesnt get too hot and to go through filters

2 hours ago, Rhoban said:

I think Static Pressure optimized fans would be best since the HDD cage will block the front intake. 

Also, Static Pressure fans would be helpful for the radiator as well. 

Static pressure fans blow air with a higher force, which makes it easier to bypass obstacles. 

Exhaust should be normal airflow fans. 

Most manufacturers label their fans as SP (Static Pressure) and AF (Air Flow). 

It seems most people recommend 140mm fans over 120mm because 140mm can blow the same air at lower speeds, thus making it more silent. 

But what you should actually be looking at is cfm. cfm ( cubic feet per minute) is the amount of air a fan moves. 

Obviously, a 120mm fan with higher cfm will outperform a 140mm with lower cfm. 

Another factor is the price. 140mm fans are more expensive. But, if you can afford it, go for the 140mm. 

But if you can find 120mm fans, with higher cfm at a lower price, then go for the 120mm.

ill be moving the fans to get air from the front of the case when i go to clean out the PC next and hoping that the new PSU will have better cables so i can rotate the HDD cage so the air can flow over the HDD/SSDs then onto the GPU

17 hours ago, Zohan2000 said:

dont really have a budget at the moment, just trying to improve airflow so the GPU doesnt get too hot and to go through filters

ill be moving the fans to get air from the front of the case when i go to clean out the PC next and hoping that the new PSU will have better cables so i can rotate the HDD cage so the air can flow over the HDD/SSDs then onto the GPU

What are your current temps?

What case fans are you currently using and what rpm are you running them at?

The stock H100i fans perform pretty well already. There's no need to replace them unless you find them too noisy.

Rotating the cages should help but I think that might mean you can't mount the fans on the cage--could be wrong though.

Is the case sitting on carpet? If not, flipping the psu to intake from the bottom would probably be better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your current temps?

What case fans are you currently using and what rpm are you running them at?

The stock H100i fans perform pretty well already. There's no need to replace them unless you find them too noisy.

Rotating the cages should help but I think that might mean you can't mount the fans on the cage--could be wrong though.

Is the case sitting on carpet? If not, flipping the psu to intake from the bottom would probably be better.

currently using just stock fans GPU sits around 60c at idle going up to 70c while gaming, CPU sits at 40c at idle maybe goes up to 50c while gaming, case is sitting on a desk with the PSU facing up, if i cant mount the front case fans to the HDD cage then ill probably do something to mount them to the front of the case and mainly just want better airflow through the case and if im gonna put filters on the case, the fans will need to be able to push through them, trying to eliminate most of the dust i can so itll run cooler if possible

17 hours ago, Zohan2000 said:

currently using just stock fans GPU sits around 60c at idle going up to 70c while gaming, CPU sits at 40c at idle maybe goes up to 50c while gaming, case is sitting on a desk with the PSU facing up, if i cant mount the front case fans to the HDD cage then ill probably do something to mount them to the front of the case and mainly just want better airflow through the case and if im gonna put filters on the case, the fans will need to be able to push through them, trying to eliminate most of the dust i can so itll run cooler if possible

Those are low temps and you're not going to get much better with better fans. You're fine up to 80-90c at load on either. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Those are low temps and you're not going to get much better with better fans. You're fine up to 80-90c at load on either. 

the dust will eventually build up and temps will probably climb so want to combat it before that happens and if i put filters on the case wont the fans need to be stronger to pull through them?

2 hours ago, Zohan2000 said:

the dust will eventually build up and temps will probably climb so want to combat it before that happens and if i put filters on the case wont the fans need to be stronger to pull through them?

Filters won't raise your temps much.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Filters won't raise your temps much.

wont it make it harder for the fans to draw air through them?

42 minutes ago, Zohan2000 said:

wont it make it harder for the fans to draw air through them?

Yes but that won't make that much of a difference. You could lower your case fan speeds to a bit to simulate the reduced airflow.

so youre saying its not worth buying case fans over the stock ones even with filters on the case?

15 hours ago, Zohan2000 said:

so youre saying its not worth buying case fans over the stock ones even with filters on the case?

Unless you find the stock fans too noisy, there's no need to replace the fans. If you already have adequate cooling, more or better case fans tend to not make much of a difference.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Unless you find the stock fans too noisy, there's no need to replace the fans. If you already have adequate cooling, more or better case fans tend to not make much of a difference.

they are ok and cant really hear them with headphones on, just mainly want to get better performance and everything reasonably cool

There's a certain point at which, no matter how many fans you add,  it won't get any cooler than that. 

I currently have 6 fans on my case. But I'm sure I could take away 2 and it would have the same temps. 

Here's a video that might help you and explain the above. 

thinking of getting some SP140 corsair fans for the rad and some AF120 corsair fans for the case fans 

1 hour ago, Zohan2000 said:

thinking of getting some SP140 corsair fans for the rad and some AF120 corsair fans for the case fans 

That's probably going to result in worse cooling for the rad and not much change in overall case airflow. It would be quieter though. That being said, there are quieter fans available if that's what you're aiming for.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's probably going to result in worse cooling for the rad and not much change in overall case airflow. It would be quieter though. That being said, there are quieter fans available if that's what you're aiming for.

just want better airflow for when i get some filters to put on it

25 minutes ago, Zohan2000 said:

just want better airflow for when i get some filters to put on it

Filters aren't going to improve your airflow but they aren't going to make a huge difference either. There's no need to worry about your temps.