How many cigarretes are too much?

Nalgasp3ludas
On 3/9/2018 at 9:49 AM, wasab said:

I tried cigarettes once, never got addicted and I had never try it again.

That doesn't mean it didn't do any damage.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 7.3.2018 at 5:08 PM, AshleyAshes said:

I've known a few people who have started smoking in their mid-20's and that's the kinda smoker that's ALWAYS baffled me.  Like, I get it when people are older and come from an era of when SO many more people smoked.  Or as younger people they did the dumb peer pressure 'Imma do this cause the grownups say I shouldn't!' but what mid 20's person looks at smoking and thinks 'This seems like a good idea'.  Smoking afterall really does very little 'good' things.  At least Crystal Meth will make you feel like Rocket Powered Mecha Jesus for a brief while, what does SMOKING offer?  Smoking's biggest 'Pro' is 'Relieves withdraw symptoms caused by smoking', so how does someone in their mids 20's go 'This seems like a thing I should spend money on!'?

I can only say from own experience...

It's some kind of "lifestyle". 

My wife started smoking out of curiosity, I think I did because my parents and whole family did... 

For me it is some cozyness connected to a cigarette, for example after a good meal, or in a bar discussing with friends... even some time an excuse to take a break from my desk at work :P

It's more a habit that is missing after all the years than the stuff it includes. I often quit for a while, a few days, a week, and the rituals are the things that I miss most connected to smoking.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

24 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

even though it is a funny and educational thing to watch... it is not what exactly happens...

no human smokes 30 packs in a row, and the human body "repairs" itself with time. 

I won't say smoking is good or bad for you, hell standing in a bigger city on a mainstreet waiting for the bus, you'll get more toxic stuff into your system just by breathing the air around you... 

Also most of the tar and build up is removed via the mucous.

I've heard of a lot of people that smoke because they simply dont give a crap if it kills them.

Linus is my fetish.

This is why LTT is constantly slagged on other forums. More than half the users act like overprotective moms. Lol just chill.

Everyone's flipping out over a smoker. Goodness. If the dude wants to smoke, let him smoke, no need to wrap him in bubble wrap reminding him that smoking's bad. 

Six a day isn't too bad, it'd be easier to quit if you plan to in the future, that's for sure. My other half smokes a pack a day and when stressed, he's upped it to a pack and a half. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Any number above 0 is too much since they are literally poison. If you can't stop willingly, you're addicted by definition. If you can stop, do it because you're killing yourself.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can't believe anyone would defend smokes. Got a cousin who has been trying to quit for over 10 years with no luck. When he stops, he becomes a different person. Eventually he does it one time and BAM he's smoking again. I have a aunt with an extreme case of COPD from decades of smoking. She managed to quit a couple of years ago (god bless her) and while she's improved, she will be affected for the rest of her life.

edit: Also, I don't remember anyone bashing or judging smokers.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

While smoking definitely isn't good for you, the first one isn't an addiction.

I've had family die from lung cancer caused by smoking, and I've had family that has lived into their late 80s and even late 90s that smoke like a chimney.

Still, the odds are against you if you smoke that many.  

There are many ways to at least try and reign it in some.  You got Nicorette, and other assorted nicotine products.  There's Chantix, but that requires a prescription.

I have one friend who was able to quit by switching to vaping.  She slowly lowered nicotine content until she smoked nicotine free vape, then quit altogether.  But that route doesn't always work.  I have one friend who switched to 18mg and 24mg vape juice.  Basically the strongest nicotine you can get, it's a lot more than in a pack of cigarettes, iirc.  

One bottle lasts him maybe... 3 days.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On 3/7/2018 at 2:57 PM, leo1798 said:

They're probably in their 40's or 50's and look 10-20 years older than they actually are. I've seen 40 year olds who look far worse than my 81 year old grandmother due to years of smoking. I have seen a few older smokers, but they look like walking slabs of leather and smell like cat vomit and dust.

43 year old here, I smoked a pack a day from 16 until I was 30,  I now feel like I am 80.  I am very active, run the boundary and footy (7Km sprints some days), I ride weekly and I walk.  My body aches constantly, It takes longer to heal when I injure myself and the evidence all points back to smokes.  My two brothers one who is 2 years older and never smoked who looks 5 years younger than me and similar lifestyle. And one who is 2 years younger, only smoked fo half as long who also has no health complaints.

I fit the textbook condition for an ex smoker.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:18 PM, Methos said:

This is why LTT is constantly slagged on other forums. More than half the users act like overprotective moms. Lol just chill.

Who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks? I say what I say because it's me saying it not because of the forum I'm saying it in.   And one thing I can't stand (somewhat ironically) is people who think it is wrong or shameful in someway to express concern or fear for the actions of another.   If I think smoking is stupid then I will say that.  It has costs that go beyond the individual, but I expect only those who are willing to consider such things beyond a superficial level to understand that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Smoking is too expensive, vape instead and make your own coils and juice. It can be a fun hobby and is cheaper/healthier.

The interesting thing is nicotine itself, while addicting, probably isn't what's giving you all sorts of problems. It's all the crap from tobacco processing plus inhaling the burnt tobacco that's the issue. And I don't think that stuff (or any tobacco derived product) is regulated.

Not trying to promote a better cigarette, but just some food for thought.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:28 AM, Jtalk4456 said:

ok let's ignore the people ignoring basic facts under the belief that health statistics are made up for the fun of it. Health aside, cancer aside, child brain development aside, an increase in asthma aside, let's ignore all the FACTUAL issues with cigarettes and health. 

Let's go straight to money, because that's where cigs really fall through. 

From an article about the costs of smoking - "To estimate tobacco costs, the financial website assumed a person would buy one pack of cigarettes every day from age 18 (when it's legal to purchase tobacco in the United States) to age 69 (the average age a smoker dies.) They then multiplied the average cost of cigarettes in each state with that number.

For New York, where an average pack of cigarettes cost $10.29, tobacco costs each smoker $1.53 million."

I would love for a smoker or naysayer to justify spending a million and a half. Now some of you might say, well how much do we spend on soda? To which I would say probably a lot too, but there is a difference. While not the healthiest option, soda at least has edible ingredients, serves to quench our thirst and perks us up in a workday with caffeine and sugar. Again, the crux is how much of this we consume, but on the base level it provides nutrients to our body that we can use.

Would someone provide me with a benefit of nutrient or bodily function provided by tobacco?

Anyone?

Let's run maths on soda just for the fun of it.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/new-york-city

That's my main source. First link on Google search "cost of soda in new york"

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-life-expectancy.html

And this is my number for diabetes death.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-life-expectancy.html

Generally people with Type 1 diabetes live around 20 years less than the provided 77 year life expectancy for males (don't get mad at me for choosing males :P)

So that would be 57.

Between 10 (average age where it's reasonable to even start letting a child drink soda, source: my opinion), and 57 (47 years), if a person drinks 2 liters of Coca-Cola ($2.43 in NY), they'll have spent just over $41k.

Damn, now I feel like double checking my numbers and the numbers above because I expected around 10, not 36 times less.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

For soda you can drink diet, not so much for cigarettes.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 3/22/2018 at 12:48 AM, Anghammarad said:

even though it is a funny and educational thing to watch... it is not what exactly happens...

no human smokes 30 packs in a row, and the human body "repairs" itself with time. 

I won't say smoking is good or bad for you, hell standing in a bigger city on a mainstreet waiting for the bus, you'll get more toxic stuff into your system just by breathing the air around you... 

Not true at all. 

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Not true at all. 

which of my three statements?

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

On 3/7/2018 at 1:13 AM, Teejo said:

when can I consider this an addiction? I smoke between 5-6 cigarretes daily (red malboros, and red lucky strikes) and Im no cowboy btw. 

The first one

Each Cigarette takes 2 minutes off your expected live expectancy

5 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Despite I'm not the person who originally quoted, I'd have to disagree with the last statement. Sure, you'll get some pollutants from standing on a busy city street, but they will not be anywhere near as concentrated as the pollutants being received from a cigarette. The people who die from cigarette related cancer/illness is far greater than those that die of city polutants.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

7 hours ago, Anghammarad said:

All of them.