To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mvitkun

1080p Netflix on Windows 7 and Linux

Posted · Original PosterOP

EDIT: Apparently after he released it someone else made an addon for Firefox that does the same thing. 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/force-1080p-netflix/

https://github.com/vladikoff/netflix-1080p-firefox

Also relevant reddit thread from a month ago when he released it.

https://np.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/7wrr78/i_made_a_chrome_extension_to_force_netflix_to/

-----------

As you may or may not know watching Netflix on Windows 7 or Linux has meant that no matter what you do you're limited to 720p.

Even on Windows 8/10 you must use IE, Edge, or the Netflix app to stream at resolutions greater than 720p. If you use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or any other browser then you're stuck at 720p.

And for macOS, AFAIK, you can only get 1080p on Safari.

In fact, the only platform where you can watch 1080p Netflix on Chrome is ChromeOS as it has the DRM required by Netflix.

Fortunately someone has found a way to exploit this to enable 1080p streaming in Chrome (or chromium based browsers) on any platform.

I've tried it on Windows 7 and Ubuntu but seeing as it's enabled through a chrome extension I assume that it'll work on any OS. 

Below are links to the chrome extension and to the source code on github.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/netflix-1080p/cankofcoohmbhfpcemhmaaeennfbnmgp

https://github.com/truedread/netflix-1080p

You can press ctrl+shift+alt+D to check what bitrate and resolution it's streaming at or ctrl+shift+alt+S to manually select bitrate.

These shortcuts don't seem to be universal as ctrl+shift+alt+D didn't seem to work on Ubuntu so...yeah.

As is usually the case with third party tools, use it at your own risk.

Here's the explanation of how it works copy and pasted from the readme on github.

The core of Netflix playback lies in JavaScript: specifically its "cadmium playercore" JS. The way Netflix (poorly) enforces 1080p to only be played back on ChromeOS devices is through these lines of JavaScript:

a = /CrOS/.test(a.userAgent);
this.Fma = this.Aw = q.Gu.PV;
this.Qm = [x.$l.nV];
this.oo = [x.V.vA, x.V.wA];
a && this.oo.push(x.V.TH);

What it is doing is testing your User-agent for the "CrOS" string anywhere in it. If the search returns true, it appends the 1080p profile to the profile playback array (what this line a && this.oo.push(x.V.TH); is doing). If it returns false, it does nothing. The playback profile array is set up like so: this.oo = [x.V.vA, x.V.wA];, x.V.vA is the SD profile and x.V.wA is the 720p profile.

After reading this you think the easy solution would be to just change the User-agent to make it contain the string "CrOS" right? Not that simple. ChromeOS apparently has a different DRM implementation than chrome, even though both use Widevine. I could never get it to work when I tried, Netflix always threw license errors. The next easiest thing to do is just delete the conditional to append 1080p and just make the 1080p profile apart of the regular profiles (this.oo = [x.V.vA, x.V.wA]; -> this.oo = [x.V.vA, x.V.wA, x.V.TH];). This works perfectly.

All the Chrome extension has to do is redirect all requests to Netflix's playercore to the modified one it has in the root directory. That's it. A two line modification.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Interesting, but why would it be important for them to limit quality to 720p?

Futura:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - 3.8GHz @ 1.3V  GPUGigabyte RX 570

Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm

SSD: HP M700 120GB RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C16 @ 1.35V 

Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: In Win 101 (Black) PSU: Corsair CX450

Infinity (Upgraded Dell XPS 410):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 GPU: EVGA Geforce 750 Ti SC

RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320GB

PSU: Corsair CX450

Car: 

2004 Toyota Corolla

Engine: 1ZZ-FE, 140HP Transmission: C59 5spd Manual

Weight: 2500lbs/1130kg

Mods:

M-Pact Performance Clutch

Subaru Outback 17" Rims

Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

7 hours ago, emosun said:

Really?

is netflix like..... running low on cash that they need to run everything at 720p? Even youtube streams 4k just fine and its free...

It's just a DRM thing.

AFAIK they don't have as high a degree of support for the Widevine DRM or something along those lines; in other words, they're less secure.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

9 minutes ago, mvitkun said:

As you may or may not know watching Netflix on Windows 7 or Linux has meant that no matter what you do you're limited to 720p.

Really?

is netflix like..... running low on cash that they need to run everything at 720p? Even youtube streams 4k just fine and its free...

27 minutes ago, emosun said:

Really?

its to stop people from being able to get a high res copy of the content as some of the drm can be bypassed

12 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

Because DRM is the reason we can't have nice things

...is there a question here? ?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.