Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

I mean this motherboard has so many issues it's unreal. Corrupted BIOS chips, ordered some replacements and hoping that will end the issue I have where it takes 5-10 times of clearing the CMOS before it boots. 

Oh wow. that blows his issue out of the water.  You get a dud or you manage to break it by tinkering too hard? Can you update the BIOs/reflash or is the chip just a dud?

24 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

Oh wow. that blows his issue out of the water.  You get a dud or you manage to break it by tinkering too hard? Can you update the BIOs/reflash or is the chip just a dud?

It's a common issue with the ROG Rampage V Extreme, to the point where most places that sell pre-programmed BIOS chips have it either as the best seller or in the top 5 it seems. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Well now it's folding but refusing me to have remote access despite having the exact same settings as it had before the reinstall... FFS... Does it ever end???

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Well now it's folding but refusing me to have remote access despite having the exact same settings as it had before the reinstall... FFS... Does it ever end???

Firewall setting perhaps? If nothing else is there a SSH/VNC type thing you can use instead?  Not the ideal solution but it would probably work.

1 minute ago, Inkertus said:

Firewall setting perhaps? If nothing else is there a SSH/VNC type thing you can use instead?  Not the ideal solution but it would probably work.

All the same as before, but I will have a poke about later. Got other things that need doing unfortunately 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

All the same as before, but I will have a poke about later. Got other things that need doing unfortunately 

Fair enough. Priorities and all that. As long as it's working for the moment it's a backburner task.

11 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

Fair enough. Priorities and all that. As long as it's working for the moment it's a backburner task.

Aye!

Almost time to make dinner too, where do the hours go...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, Inkertus said:

So after some more playing it seems I cant edit the config from the advanced viewer, I have to edit the file directly, weird...

Anyway, all is sorted now... mostly... kinda...

Some weird behaviour going on but it is folding at full power so it will do 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

29 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

So after some more playing it seems I cant edit the config from the advanced viewer, I have to edit the file directly, weird...

Anyway, all is sorted now... mostly... kinda...

Some weird behaviour going on but it is folding at full power so it will do 

If you have PCs reasonably well dedicated to folding have you considered imaging for rapid fixing? or a bare metal VM with a folding image I saw a week back? If it keeps giving you issues it would be decently fast to redeploy rather than have to deal with a windows reinstall like now.

6 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

If you have PCs reasonably well dedicated to folding have you considered imaging for rapid fixing? or a bare metal VM with a folding image I saw a week back? If it keeps giving you issues it would be decently fast to redeploy rather than have to deal with a windows reinstall like now.

Yeah, thought about it, but generally this is left on for 3-6 months at a time. 

Generally it doesn't cause me issues, it's only when I go doing something stupid like updating lmfao.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Yeah, thought about it, but generally this is left on for 3-6 months at a time. 

Generally it doesn't cause me issues, it's only when I go doing something stupid like updating lmfao.

You should know not to test on production servers! 😛

If I were doing this larger scale I'd probably be using a bare metal VM with a Linux folding distro I'd found/made and, like my raspberry pi, back up and attempt an update on every 1-3 months. If it updated happily I'd turn that into the new VM image and so on.  The BM VM partially because I've yet to learn about and use those and they seem a little faster for setup and redeploy, especially on differing hardware (none of that Intel vs AMD pickiness I figure).

Also, I always clone my windows drive 1-3 days before Patch Tuesday precisely because of update SNAFUs. They happen and they're ugly.

1 minute ago, Inkertus said:

You should know not to test on production servers! 😛

If I were doing this larger scale I'd probably be using a bare metal VM with a Linux folding distro I'd found/made and, like my raspberry pi, back up and attempt an update on every 1-3 months. If it updated happily I'd turn that into the new VM image and so on.  The BM VM partially because I've yet to learn about and use those and they seem a little faster for setup and redeploy, especially on differing hardware (none of that Intel vs AMD pickiness I figure).

Also, I always clone my windows drive 1-3 days before Patch Tuesday precisely because of update SNAFUs. They happen and they're ugly.

I think I will clone the drive, it's only a 128gb SSD, just keep a cold copy on the old drive and a new drive as the hot running drive. 

Would make things a whole lot easier. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I think I will clone the drive, it's only a 128gb SSD, just keep a cold copy on the old drive and a new drive as the hot running drive. 

Would make things a whole lot easier. 

The most basic and fully functional of backups. Takes 5 minutes tops to be back up and running. It's why I like it. Not sure how happy it would be restoring it, but it's something.

2 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

The most basic and fully functional of backups. Takes 5 minutes tops to be back up and running. It's why I like it. Not sure how happy it would be restoring it, but it's something.

Hypothetically, 

you could just throw the drive in and off it goes. I mean as long as you don't have running work units on the go at the time of the clone. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Hypothetically, 

you could just throw the drive in and off it goes. I mean as long as you don't have running work units on the go at the time of the clone. 

Yep. That's why.  My concern is Main = M.2 NVMe vs backup = SATA  Unsure if it would get uppity about the driver differences.

Gotta make sure you've finished them and paused before then for sure. I bet the servers would get confused about duplicate jobs submitted a while apart.

Use a third party boot utility to run the clone from.  Then unplug the SATA of the spare drive.

If the install ever gives you an issue, just do the same in reverse, then boot off the NVME again, rather than booting from the spare.  This lets you always have a good and offline spare that won't get harmed by "special" Windows updates.

Or, you know…just ditch Winblows.

5 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Use a third party boot utility to run the clone from.  Then unplug the SATA of the spare drive.

If the install ever gives you an issue, just do the same in reverse, then boot off the NVME again, rather than booting from the spare.  This lets you always have a good and offline spare that won't get harmed by "special" Windows updates.

Or, you know…just ditch Winblows.

As stated before, will try ditching windows on that machine after the BOINC event, run Ubuntu on my laptop anyway so not a complete noob.

Any advice for the backup solution under Ubuntu?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I don't bother with backups. I just have all my machines running Ubuntu and have the latest Ubuntu iso written on a 120MB SSD in a USB3 enclosure. That makes re-installs extremely quick.

Boot from ISO, install OS, follow Build Guide with system-specific settings in the Build Logs for each system.

I use 120GB m.2 SATA boot disks on all my systems as it's less cable clutter and makes moving motherboards around easier. Just re-arranged most of my systems moving motherboards around with minimal downtime.

Biggest pain was having to rebuild the kernel modules for the ite87 drivers to get all the hardware monitoring working again.

I even have Windows 10 on a separate partition on most of the boot drives for shits and giggles. UEFI is a beautiful thing.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

2 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

I don't bother with backups. I just have all my machines running Ubuntu and have the latest Ubuntu iso written on a 120MB SSD in a USB3 enclosure. That makes re-installs extremely quick.

Showing your age there bud!

Interesting, The thing is I'm planning for this to be more than just folding, so a back up solution that takes little set up time is preferable for me. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Fold9:

• Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming5
  • Fractal Meshify S2
  • i9-9900k @ 4.5GHz all-core under-volted
  • EVGA 280mm CLC
  • 2 x 4GB Gskill RipJaws DDR4-2400
  • 2 x EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Hybrid
  • Corsair TX650m
  • 4 x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC3000 PWM

Fold8:

• Gigabyte Aorus x370 GamingK7
  • Fractal Define S
  • Ryzen 7 2700x
  • DeepCool 120mm CLC
  • 2 x 4GB Gskill RipJaws IV DDR4-2400
  • 2 x EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Hybrid
  • Corsair TX650m
  • 3 x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC3000 PWM, 1 x Noctua NF-A12 PWM Redux

Fold7:

• Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Pro Wifi
  • Fractal Meshify S2
  • Ryzen 9 3900x @ 4.0GHz all-core (not tuned yet)
  • Noctua NH-D15
  • 2 x 4GB Gskill RipJaws V DDR4-2400
  • 2 x RX5700XT (RedDevil & Gigabyte)
  • Corsair TX650m
  • 1 x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC3000 PWM, 2 x Corsair ML140 PWM

Fold6:

• Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
  • Veddha Minercase v3c
  • Ryzen 7 2700 with stock cooler
  • 2 x 16GB Gskill RipJaws V DDR4=3200
  • 2 x Corsair TX750m
  • EVGA 1060, 1660ti, 1070ti, 2060, 2060Super, 2070A
  • 5 Fractal 120mm fans

Fold1:

• Gigabyte b450m DS3H
  • Fractal Define C
  • Ryzen 7 2700
  • Hyper 212
  • 2 x 4GB Gskill RipJaws V DDR4-2400
  • Corsair CX750
  • EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid
  • Noctua 120mm & 140mm Redux

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

3 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

At this rate we gonna see a GPU drought again but from folding 

/s

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Showing your age there bud!

Interesting, The thing is I'm planning for this to be more than just folding, so a back up solution that takes little set up time is preferable for me. 

LOL - yes, 120GB (don't have any 64GB ones left). Makes a world of difference using a SSD in a USB enclosure for OS installs. Have another for Win 10.

I just don't bother with system backups. I use text files for the system-specific stuff.

My Data that matters is on a hardware RAID 10 array on my daily driver which is rsynced daily to my FreeNAS which is rysnc'ed daily to a on-site Synology and another Synology off-site.

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

LOL - yes, 120GB (don't have any 64GB ones left). Makes a world of difference using a SSD in a USB enclosure for OS installs. Have another for Win 10.

I just don't bother with system backups. I use text files for the system-specific stuff.

My Data that matters is on a hardware RAID 10 array on my daily driver which is rsynced daily to my FreeNAS which is rysnc'ed daily to a on-site Synology and another Synology off-site.

Dude, even didn't have that level of redundancy at one point with my backups. The Yo Dawg meme applies here for sure.

The SSD in USB, you can't do that without some trickery on W10 can you or did they finally allow USB Windows? Linux I know loves running off a toaster if you want, it's amusing but nice like that.

2 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

Dude, even didn't have that level of redundancy at one point with my backups. The Yo Dawg meme applies here for sure.

The SSD in USB, you can't do that without some trickery on W10 can you or did they finally allow USB Windows? Linux I know loves running off a toaster if you want, it's amusing but nice like that.

They do have windows10 OTG that is a live disk.

But in this case I believe he means the installation media.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Inkertus said:

I just download the latest Windows 10 media and select iso rather than USB and use Rufus to burn it to the SSD in the USB enclosure. So it's just for the install media not the OS. I can install & configure Win10 in about 20 minutes

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems: