Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Join me in celebrating my birthday with a week of folding with more LTT prizes! 

57 minutes ago, palespartan said:

assuming for cpus your referring the the xeons in your signature then yeah I would definitely go for the large cpu work loads. (I personally have never had a cpu powerful enough to even attempt them. lol) just remember to keep 1 thread free for every gpu running on the system otherwise you run into bottle necking from your cpu not being able to communicate fast enough to your gpu.

Also 550k ppd on a 1070 sound almost exactly where it should be considering that a 1080 was getting 650k if I remember correctly.

EDIT: just re read the Big Advanced section of the config guide and it said the program was scheduled to end back in 2015 also that minimum cpu requirement was raised to 24 cores (I hope they mean threads) which means you should be ok but definitely borderline. You could still try it though worst case scenario keep an eye on the WUs you get assigned and see if any of them look too big to process in time.

Yeah, I've googled a bit and it does look like Big Advanced has ended. Also does difficulty in folding change like it does in mining? I've noticed that this list has higher PPD for these GPUs  http://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/475163-gpu-projects-ppd-database.html

or was this difference achieved with overclocking?

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

4 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Also does difficulty in folding change like it does in mining

Overall difficulty of running F@H is probably pretty constant over time. Some work units may be difficult than others, depending on what calculations they are doing, but these changes in difficulty appear in no specific order and are not by design like they are in block chains.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

10 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Yeah, I've googled a bit and it does look like Big Advanced has ended. Also does difficulty in folding change like it does in mining? I've noticed that this list has higher PPD for these GPUs  http://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/475163-gpu-projects-ppd-database.html

or was this difference achieved with overclocking?

5 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Overall difficulty of running F@H is probably pretty constant over time. Some work units may be difficult than others, depending on what calculations they are doing, but these changes in difficulty appear in no specific order and are not by design like they are in block chains.

Ive actually found between my own cards that over time the system learns the cards your using to an extent and sends you slightly different work units based on how quickly you can get them done (not necessarily based on gpu but based on how fast you complete certain work loads) for instance before i bios modded my 970s they were getting smaller work loads regularly but after i bios modded them and they were running 300mhz faster I noticed a slight difference in how often I was getting assigned larger work loads. I also noticed that if my driver crashed (it happened a lot when running sli 970s. thanks nvidia for your crap game ready drivers that were unstable in compute loads.) I would get assigned smaller work loads until it could trust my system to be able to computer the bigger ones in a quicker time.  I don't have any real evidence of this, though, just my personal experience.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

Well I manage to get F@H straightened out in Mint.  Just had to nano to the .xml file and modify it to stop looking for that 2nd GPU.

I really need to find a way to keep Firefox in linux from acting like a piece of crap when the GPU is loaded on the GPU displaying the screen (I turn the GPU acceleration off in the darn thing and it still acting like a fool).  Maybe I need to go config diving for a bit.

I should have the 960 and the 1070 Hybrid up later today.  Tomorrow I will work on getting the 2nd rig going with the 1080Ti .

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 hours ago, palespartan said:

Do you also have your WU count and I assume your team rank was at 27th last night as well.

I don't, sadly

I've been going off of https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=223518

and

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=667708

And weirdly my 24 hour averages have only been what the 1080Ti normally does. They should be higher...

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I don't, sadly

I've been going off of https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=223518

and

And weirdly my 24 hour averages have only been what the 1080Ti normally does. They should be higher...

It takes time for that site to display PPD output correctly.

If you have a Windows machine, HFM.net software is a good way to track WUs and PPD output.  Can be configure to track multiply computers even if the other computers are Linux base OSes.

Reason I may get myself a cheap little Nuc with W10 float HFM.net on and make my F@H/BOINC rig headless.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Alright, I've got issues.

Added a 750Ti to a vega64 rig, and now the vega card won't fold. It just gets stuck in a loop of downloading, running, ready, and repeat.

How do fix?

5 hours ago, DieselWeasel said:

Hey guys do you think I should set up my client to get extra large WUs for my CPUs? (under big advanced on this link) http://folding.stanford.edu/support/faq/installation-guides/configuration-guide/

right now I completely turned of CPU folding

EDIT: 

Also my 1070 gets around 550K PPD (estimated) is that ok ?

My GTX 1070 does 610K PPD and My GTX 1080 does 800K. So i would say your PPD is okay. 

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Added a 750Ti to a vega64 rig, and now the vega card won't fold. It just gets stuck in a loop of downloading, running, ready, and repeat.

How do fix?

I was unable to get this awful software to work with both cards installed, had to remove the 750Ti

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Well I manage to get F@H straightened out in Mint.  Just had to nano to the .xml file and modify it to stop looking for that 2nd GPU.

I really need to find a way to keep Firefox in linux from acting like a piece of crap when the GPU is loaded on the GPU displaying the screen (I turn the GPU acceleration off in the darn thing and it still acting like a fool).  Maybe I need to go config diving for a bit.

I should have the 960 and the 1070 Hybrid up later today.  Tomorrow I will work on getting the 2nd rig going with the 1080Ti .

yeah I've just found it easier to use windows 10 for dedicated mining and folding machines. I found that the performance hit wasn't worth the time headache to make mint or debian work ubuntu wasn't so bad though but I work in a windows environment anyways so figured just easier to have everything the same. Also I will add your WU count and team rank to the doc for whatever it is tonight and if you have it saved from what it was before you can edit them back.

5 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I don't, sadly

and

no problem Ill just stick with whatever is there now and I'm sure you were probably 27th to start.

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

How do fix?

easiest way I've found to fix things like that is with a 10lb sledge. lol. There has to be some advanced config that will get it to read the amd card primary or something.

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I was unable to get this awful software to work with both cards installed, had to remove the 750Ti

better to remove the 750ti than the vega. I wonder if its a driver issue where the nvidia driver doesn't like seeing the amd card? Nvidia "game ready" drivers are usually trash for compute stability anyways.

Folding Community Board:

7 hours ago, palespartan said:

Ive actually found between my own cards that over time the system learns the cards your using to an extent and sends you slightly different work units based on how quickly you can get them done (not necessarily based on gpu but based on how fast you complete certain work loads) for instance before i bios modded my 970s they were getting smaller work loads regularly but after i bios modded them and they were running 300mhz faster I noticed a slight difference in how often I was getting assigned larger work loads. I also noticed that if my driver crashed (it happened a lot when running sli 970s. thanks nvidia for your crap game ready drivers that were unstable in compute loads.) I would get assigned smaller work loads until it could trust my system to be able to computer the bigger ones in a quicker time.  I don't have any real evidence of this, though, just my personal experience.

I think they've actually admitted to doing this in the past. The reason I didn't mention this in reply to the question was because, technically speaking, this is difficulty matching, not difficulty scaling.

Just now, straight_stewie said:

I think they've actually admitted to doing this in the past. The reason I didn't mention this in reply to the question was because, technically speaking, this is difficulty matching, not difficulty scaling.

Yeah that makes sense. That's a better way of putting it I think.

Folding Community Board:

You know, I'm left wondering if we could do a week long folding event once a year, and a weekend long folding event once a month. I'm quite enjoying this sub community so far.

Well I originally planned on letting my brother's vega64 rig also run my 3d printer PC's 750Ti, but the damn card wouldn't fold with an nvidia card installed. So I've brought out my crappiest motherboard, the asrock E350M1/USB3.

15221323377981120705810.thumb.jpg.71098169cd50d1a29ec3135805d430d8.jpg

This machine's power draw is only 80w. I'm hoping this awful laptop CPU doesn't bottleneck the card too much...

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Well I originally planned on letting my brother's vega64 rig also run my 3d printer PC's 750Ti, but the damn card wouldn't fold with an nvidia card installed. So I've brought out my crappiest motherboard, the asrock E350M1/USB3.

15221323377981120705810.thumb.jpg.71098169cd50d1a29ec3135805d430d8.jpgThis machine's power draw is only 80w. I'm hoping this awful laptop CPU doesn't bottleneck the card too much...

it's glorious! :o

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its also really pathetic. I'm getting less than 75% of what a 750Ti manages on a good CPU.

That's actually pretty depressing, still PPD is PPD amirite?

Speaking of which, I call this the cat-proof 24/7 folding edition of the inwin 301

High airflow, no spots for sits and paw-resistant keyboard addon!

IMG_20180327_124628.thumb.jpg.a4c8e23f2eec8cb362cf7f0db3f00b3a.jpg

9 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

Speaking of which, I call this the cat-proof 24/7 folding edition of the inwin 301

The front of my HTPC inhales a cat daily

1522149385565456946587.thumb.jpg.243d6b26e96a8de165851f795811ddd4.jpg

6 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its also really pathetic. I'm getting less than 75% of what a 750Ti manages on a good CPU.

That's only making 75k ppd?

8 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I was only getting around 75K PPD on the 3d printer PC, now its down to about 50k

The 75k seems about right for a 750Ti considering that two GTX 760s are giving me roughly 100k ppd each.

12 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

You know, I'm left wondering if we could do a week long folding event once a year, and a weekend long folding event once a month. I'm quite enjoying this sub community so far.

I was actually looking to aim a bit bigger than that. I was hoping that maybe we could do a folding month this coming winter and folding weeks every now and again. But the idea of a folding weekend is pretty good too.

6 hours ago, RollinLower said:

IMG_20180327_124628.thumb.jpg.a4c8e23f2eec8cb362cf7f0db3f00b3a.jpg

I heard they were going to add these features when they updated the 301 next time around. lol

7 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Wow that is really pathetic to be able to bottleneck a 750ti. I looked up the specs though and it does make sense. But hey at least 90% of the power draw is just the card itself.

Folding Community Board:

Ok so I figured I'm a little late to the game with posting pics of my rigs but here they are.

Mining rig: 2x gtx 970s one is on a 1x to 16x riser (getting about a third of the performance in F@H) I don't even remember what cpu is in here except its the lowest power and cheapest you can get for the b85 chipset. (yes its just a random ssd that I just have hanging there) and its all powered by a cx750m I had laying around from a previous version of my gaming rig.

IMG_20180326_105103.thumb.jpg.5e4a0c64b74f9f229d9c05322dfb527c.jpg

Next is my gaming rig running a 4790k at 4.7ghz (only folding on 6 threads) with a gtx1080ti Strix edition (was actually bought at msrp before the craze of mining.) All on an msi z97 sli Krait edition. (yes it is a color matching disaster with the red cables and blue ram but I blame evga for including red PCIe power cables with their PSUs)

IMG_20180326_214714.thumb.jpg.7c7ac97206dd4c65414ad3f700efc067.jpg

And last we have my work/everything laptop (Its really my daily driver for most of what I do on a computer) Its an Alienware 13-r3 with OLED display (the contrast of OLED is so worth it. If you ever get the chance to try it you wont ever want to go back.) It has a 7700hq and 1060 (not folding at all on the cpu since there is no fan control and the map they set it up with from factory lets the cpu go up to 90C and stay there, also no overclocking fro the gpu.) Ill let this do some folding wile I'm gone for the next few days and being my old Macbook Pro in case I need to do any work in a pinch.

IMG_20180326_214745.thumb.jpg.43e20cd4f00ce165c26b97880d798aac.jpg

Folding Community Board:

47 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

i just entered the team's top 10 producers! :D

and it hasn;t even logged my full 24H score yet!

Knipsel.PNG.917862e34b3f4f6972a80d52e50202eb.PNG

Awesome but I have a feeling that if everything keeps running without issue for you you'll probably be up there with @iamdarkyoshi and I. Hoping mine will go higher to get closer to reflecting what my individual clients are telling me it should be.

Folding Community Board: