Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Join me in celebrating my birthday with a week of folding with more LTT prizes! 

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I'm not sure which would be more accurate. All of the other numbers seems to be the same except for team totals. I wonder if there's a team in one that's not in the other.

On a side note, I really need to upgrade cards. I've been folding 24/7 for a while now and only making about 200,000 ppd.

just found that the difference was that the EOC page doesn't include the default or no team group well leave the 13 in there since having no team doesn't count as having a team if you ask me.

also @straight_stewie just checked on a build I'm going to do for my friends first gaming pc and prices for GPUs seem to be coming down so maybe in a month or so will be the right time to upgrade. I was lucky enough to buy my 1080ti about a month after launch so I actually got it for MSRP. (never in my life did I think I would consider myself lucky to buy something at MSRP.)

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

12 minutes ago, palespartan said:

well considering your adding a vega 64 to the mix anyways my guess that the inefficiency of the phenom and bad psu will be missed when you see your power draw after that. Definitely want to hear where you peak out with everything up and running. lol

The phenom rig was drawing exactly 200w.

Vega64 + ryzen 5 is only about 100-150w more than the phenom and 750Ti.

The 1080Ti PC is by far the most efficient one here, drawing only 70w more than the phenom/750Ti rig, while outputting well over 10x the PPD.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The phenom rig was drawing exactly 200w.

Vega64 + ryzen 5 is only about 100-150w more than the phenom and 750Ti.

The 1080Ti PC is by far the most efficient one here, drawing only 70w more than the phenom/750Ti rig, while outputting well over 10x the PPD.

Damn really shows us how far cpu efficiency has come (and psu efficiency). Still going to be one hell of a power bill. lol

Folding Community Board:

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

Damn really shows us how far cpu efficiency has come (and psu efficiency). Still going to be one hell of a power bill. lol

Yeah I calculated this week to be about 20-30 bucks roughly.

And yeah the 3d printing PC's PSU is running right on its edge, its from a SFF dell office PC...

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yeah I calculated this week to be about 20-30 bucks roughly.

And yeah the 3d printing PC's PSU is running right on its edge, its from a SFF dell office PC...

that's unusual (depending on which computer it was pulled from of course) most of the small form factor dell psu's I've come across are about 300w from units like the optiplex 775 (still one of the most popular business pc's I've seen)

Folding Community Board:

3 minutes ago, palespartan said:

that's unusual (depending on which computer it was pulled from of course) most of the small form factor dell psu's I've come across are about 300w from units like the optiplex 775 (still one of the most popular business pc's I've seen)

Yeah the 12v rail is only rated for 196w, and the TDP of the 125w phenom and 75w 750Ti exceed it a bit, and they're not the only ones drawing power off the 12v rail...

Its not ideal but it runs my 3d printer.

IMG_20180322_231954.thumb.jpg.89925819c21c9aa0756023bd1c9eb4dd.jpg

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yeah the 12v rail is only rated for 196w, and the TDP of the 125w phenom and 75w 750Ti exceed it a bit, and they're not the only ones drawing power off the 12v rail...

Its not ideal but it runs my 3d printer.

IMG_20180322_231954.thumb.jpg.89925819c21c9aa0756023bd1c9eb4dd.jpg

I also imagine that running the 3d printer doesn't fully peg it the way that folding does.

Folding Community Board:

11 minutes ago, palespartan said:

I also imagine that running the 3d printer doesn't fully peg it the way that folding does.

Its just to slice models actually. It pegs the CPU turning it into GCode, then pegs the GPU trying to render the toolpath lol

welp, seems like i'm gonna have some downtime today. one of my Vardars died and i'm gonna have to replace it if i want to maintain a proper overclock :( 

this is a good excuse to also switch coolants and give the blocks a proper cleaning tough! this pastel is really starting to shed some grot into the loop.

@palespartan I logged my points at 24.00, but didn't put them in because I wanted to hear from you first. I see you have put my points in, and the 300k difference from what I logged and what you logged is acceptable to me. I'm just going with your PST-standard then. :-) 

I only got my GTX 1080 spinning but will add my GTX 1070 later today when I get to my PC at work. 

10 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

welp, seems like i'm gonna have some downtime today. one of my Vardars died and i'm gonna have to replace it if i want to maintain a proper overclock :( 

this is a good excuse to also switch coolants and give the blocks a proper cleaning tough! this pastel is really starting to shed some grot into the loop.

Ouch...

Speaking of OCs, my testbench is running a 3570K at 4.5ghz on air, and I've had it all the way up to 4.8 before.

Well my miners weren't doing much so 2/3 are currently retasked to folding :) between my 4 rigs total I have folding so far, it's estimated I should be getting around 1.06m ppd :P holy shit (they are totally going to crash in the middle of the night :P) probably less though as at least 1 of my gpus is unstable and has already failed.... Meh don't care about that one.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Are the folding team badges still being awarded? When I started folding Whaler was still around and gave me the first badge, but when I reached the points for the next badge he had already left and I don't know who gives them out now.

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

16 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Are the folding team badges still being awarded? When I started folding Whaler was still around and gave me the first badge, but when I reached the points for the next badge he had already left and I don't know who gives them out now.

@Whiskers now does the badges! try contacting him.

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

@Whiskers now does the badges! try contacting him.

Thanks, will do.

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

8 hours ago, RollinLower said:

Never a bad time for maintenance and without that pastel stuff clogging up the loop who know what your temps will be.

7 hours ago, Lockram said:

@palespartan I logged my points at 24.00, but didn't put them in because I wanted to hear from you first. I see you have put my points in, and the 300k difference from what I logged and what you logged is acceptable to me. I'm just going with your PST-standard then. :-) 

I only got my GTX 1080 spinning but will add my GTX 1070 later today when I get to my PC at work. 

No worries your end points will also be PST so it should balance out.

7 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Ouch...

Speaking of OCs, my testbench is running a 3570K at 4.5ghz on air, and I've had it all the way up to 4.8 before.

Yeah I actually have my 4790k on air running 4.7 which I'm a bit nervous about because 4.8 is unstable in games and testing long term (can post and run some benches but will crash eventually) and I know for a fact 4.6 is stable folding but haven't cpu folded since I set up the 4.7 oc. So who knows maybe this will just be the week of crashing. Lol

7 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Well my miners weren't doing much so 2/3 are currently retasked to folding :) between my 4 rigs total I have folding so far, it's estimated I should be getting around 1.06m ppd :P holy shit (they are totally going to crash in the middle of the night :P) probably less though as at least 1 of my gpus is unstable and has already failed.... Meh don't care about that one.

Are your gpus overclocked? Unusual that any are failing WUs I would just expect them to be throttled by cpu bandwidth more than anything.

23 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

@iamdarkyoshi your stats were not added to the sheet. Do you know what they were at midnight last night? Otherwise, I can just add your stats now and you will be behind by 12 hours.

Don't know which one of you added them in but they are up there now. I still have my sheet from last night cached so I'll double check that when I get home from work today if you didn't want the 12 hour penalty.

Folding Community Board:

32 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

@iamdarkyoshi your stats were not added to the sheet. Do you know what they were at midnight last night? Otherwise, I can just add your stats now and you will be behind by 12 hours.

Whoops, last night I was at 184,334,594 points.

4 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Don't know which one of you added them in but they are up there now. I still have my sheet from last night cached so I'll double check that when I get home from work today if you didn't want the 12 hour penalty.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

It seems as if they need to be reset to the stats last night. When I added them I added a note in the name cell that pointed to me as the modifier and also recorded the time in the note. When I didn't get a reply very quickly I went into damage control mode to try and minimize Yoshi's losses.

Just for reference, a cell that has a note in Google Sheets has a little black triangle in the upper right hand corner of the cell. Hovering over that cell opens the note.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

24 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Do you also have your WU count and I assume your team rank was at 27th last night as well.

21 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

It seems as if they need to be reset to the stats last night. When I added them I added a note in the name cell that pointed to me as the modifier and also recorded the time in the note. When I didn't get a reply very quickly I went into damage control mode to try and minimize Yoshi's losses.

Just for reference, a cell that has a note in Google Sheets has a little black triangle in the upper right hand corner of the cell. Hovering over that cell opens the note.

No problem I didn't see the note until just now. I'll reset them to last night.

Folding Community Board:

Hey guys do you think I should set up my client to get extra large WUs for my CPUs? (under big advanced on this link) http://folding.stanford.edu/support/faq/installation-guides/configuration-guide/

right now I completely turned of CPU folding

EDIT: 

Also my 1070 gets around 550K PPD (estimated) is that ok ?

46 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Hey guys do you think I should set up my client to get extra large WUs for my CPUs? (under big advanced on this link) http://folding.stanford.edu/support/faq/installation-guides/configuration-guide/

right now I completely turned of CPU folding

EDIT: 

Also my 1070 gets around 550K PPD (estimated) is that ok ?

assuming for cpus your referring the the xeons in your signature then yeah I would definitely go for the large cpu work loads. (I personally have never had a cpu powerful enough to even attempt them. lol) just remember to keep 1 thread free for every gpu running on the system otherwise you run into bottle necking from your cpu not being able to communicate fast enough to your gpu.

Also 550k ppd on a 1070 sound almost exactly where it should be considering that a 1080 was getting 650k if I remember correctly.

EDIT: just re read the Big Advanced section of the config guide and it said the program was scheduled to end back in 2015 also that minimum cpu requirement was raised to 24 cores (I hope they mean threads) which means you should be ok but definitely borderline. You could still try it though worst case scenario keep an eye on the WUs you get assigned and see if any of them look too big to process in time.

Folding Community Board:

3 hours ago, palespartan said:

Are your gpus overclocked? Unusual that any are failing WUs I would just expect them to be throttled by cpu bandwidth more than anything.

Very Slightly But i've been having issues with this gpu before hand. Just didn't know which one it was and was too lazy to diagnose it. It is bios flashed so I think it's got some bad settings in the vram timings. I should use folding to test all my rigs as it just straight up works or fails :P And yeah right now they are throttled I think as all 8 vcores are folding too :P 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

5 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Very Slightly But i've been having issues with this gpu before hand. Just didn't know which one it was and was too lazy to diagnose it. It is bios flashed so I think it's got some bad settings in the vram timings. I should use folding to test all my rigs as it just straight up works or fails :P And yeah right now they are throttled I think as all 8 vcores are folding too :P 

Honestly I was using folding instead of other synthetics to test overclocks for a wile just because for some reason Aida64 didn't hit my cpu in the right way to prove stability in everything I do and no matter what else I try to do on my computer whether its mining or gaming or productivity if it can fold without crashing it will do everything else I throw at it no problem. No shame in turning off cpu folding too I personally am not doing it on my mining rig. (then again a dual core without hyper threading probably wouldn't do much anyways. lol)

Folding Community Board: