Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

18 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I've been wanting too, but it seems like the job for the folding team leader and alas, that is not I

Who is the team leader? Also what do we do different now that wasn't covered in the original guide?

12 hours ago, RollinLower said:

500M boys! :D

legend!.PNG.eb02f74842ba196a35f993b8df30110b.PNG

Nice. I hope to join you in about a month or so.

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

now that i maxed out the F@H badge i won;t be doing 24/7 folding on my Titan anymore. 

i just recieved a note from the power company about how my bills are gonna be much, much higher. so power is definitely not something i have plenty of anymore.

that, and i recently bought some pretty power hungry hardware for BOINC aswell. so yeah, just the 1070 and my vouwfabriek server for now.

untill i can get my hands on some more power efficient hardware that is!

There may be talks coming up about making a new higher tier badge since hardware is getting more powerful...

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

21 hours ago, palespartan said:

Who is the team leader?

Team leader is still @Whiskers

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a silly question... But is it normal for a GPU to be a little short of 100% utilisation when folding?

It's always run like this since I bought it, and it has multiple cores and around 45% of the CPU available in reserve to serve it.

gpu87467243.png

I also just noticed that my folding badge link (when clicked), links to somebody else's EOC'ing stats. Is this something we can change ourselves? Or does it require an admin? 

3 minutes ago, mattheginger said:

I also just noticed that my folding badge link (when clicked), links to somebody else's EOC'ing stats. Is this some we can change ourselves? Or does it require an admin? 

I think mods can do it,

@leadeater any input?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, mattheginger said:

This may be a silly question... But is it normal for a GPU to be a little short of 100% utilisation when folding?

It's always run like this since I bought it, and it has multiple cores and around 45% of the CPU available in reserve to serve it.

gpu87467243.png

Depending on the WU sometimes it can fully utilize the entire gpu. But so long it it stays int he 90's id say you're doing fine. I would also recommend that you double check to make sure you're leaving at lease one thread free per gpu just to make sure that the gpu isnt waiting on the cpu to be fed.

Folding Community Board:

1 hour ago, mattheginger said:

gpu87467243.png

Under Windoze yes. Some WUs will get a little higher. Under Linux you can get closer to 100%. Here's my 1660Ti:

image.png.675eccbeb0331890454a341edd8e7447.png

Part of the problem under Windows is the Driver Architecture not allowing exclusive access to the GPU and this is one reason why the same card under Linux tends to have slightly better performance

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

On 8/30/2019 at 5:49 PM, mattheginger said:

I also just noticed that my folding badge link (when clicked), links to somebody else's EOC'ing stats. Is this something we can change ourselves? Or does it require an admin? 

Yep, I see what happened. Your badge should now be updated :) It's a mod feature only I'm afraid

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I'm presently having an issue where my 1660 Ti just randomly stops boosting (1950 MHz down to 1500) every 12 - 24 hours. A restart corrects the problem , which is great, but means I have to watch out for it, which is annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this?

On 9/8/2019 at 3:09 AM, mattheginger said:

I'm presently having an issue where my 1660 Ti just randomly stops boosting (1950 MHz down to 1500) every 12 - 24 hours. A restart corrects the problem , which is great, but means I have to watch out for it, which is annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It sounds like an unstable OC that is causing it to drop to a lower state when it recovers. Even if these are out of the box setting try under clocking it first with mem then if that doesn't do it do core since it will be really hard to tell which one is to blame.

Folding Community Board:

4 minutes ago, palespartan said:

It sounds like an unstable OC that is causing it to drop to a lower state when it recovers. Even if these are out of the box setting try under clocking it first with mem then if that doesn't do it do core since it will be really hard to tell which one is to blame.

So an update. It only seems to do it when I open spotify (which I discovered tonight). I've been opening every combination of other programs I can think of, but it seems to be just spotify. Very confusing... But at least now I guess I don't have to restart, but just close my music.

27 minutes ago, mattheginger said:

So an update. It only seems to do it when I open spotify (which I discovered tonight). I've been opening every combination of other programs I can think of, but it seems to be just spotify. Very confusing... But at least now I guess I don't have to restart, but just close my music.

Spotify is one of the worst pc apps I have ever had to deal with. Even as a spotify user I almost never download their app to my computer all it ever does it cause weird problems that the app shouldn't even touch. But glad to know you found a solution. 

Folding Community Board:

Just now, palespartan said:

Spotify is one of the worst pc apps I have ever had to deal with. Even as a spotify user I almost never download their app to my computer all it ever does it cause weird problems that the app shouldn't even touch. But glad to know you found a solution. 

I'm seriously considering just using the web app for spotify..

Just now, mattheginger said:

I'm seriously considering just using the web app for spotify..

Highly recommend going that direction.

Folding Community Board:

I think in order to try to offset some of the PPD loss from getting that PC finaly sold I'm going t obe putting linux on my folding server. 

Anyrecomendatins for the best distro, I have experience with Ubuntu, mint and suse 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I think in order to try to offset some of the PPD loss from getting that PC finaly sold I'm going t obe putting linux on my folding server. 

Anyrecomendatins for the best distro, I have experience with Ubuntu, mint and suse 

Don't use kali. lol. It does seem that ubuntu seems to be the eaiest to get working. Although standard debian doesn't seem to be bad either.

Folding Community Board:

17 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

For a distro I would recommend any Debian based, like Ubuntu. I currently run MX Linux that is based on debian, easier to go with ubuntu as F@H has .deb files on their site.

But if you have AMD cards I must say I have had very little success with getting it working on Linux with F@H. Switched to Nvidia and everything was much easier.

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The most information out there is for Ubuntu and Mint (which is forked off Ubuntu).

I recommend Ubuntu and have started a HowTo:

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

On 9/10/2019 at 4:35 AM, palespartan said:

It turns out you may have been correct. It seems that with WU's that have a higher utilisation (over 95% of GPU), that it drops down to 1500 Mhz quite frequently and for long periods, regards of what software is open.

I dropped it down from 1965 Mhz (stock boost) to 1890 Mhz, and now it seems to sit there nicely. Seriously contemplating RMA on the card now for the coil whine issues I've been having. Would wait until after folding month though ?

ITNOS is being a bit weird, only one of the two 1070ti's will boost to over 4800-1900, the other will be at 1600-1700... 

I've tried using Nvidia Profile inspector to force P0 state and that didnt change it (unless I need to reboot for the changes to ACTUALLY take effect? Nvidia inspector says it did though)

On 9/9/2019 at 7:40 PM, Rusted said:

But if you have AMD cards I must say I have had very little success with getting it working on Linux with F@H. Switched to Nvidia and everything was much easier.

Agree on that... Thought it was just my specific case that have both a AMD and a Nvidia card in one system that it was impossible to get the AMD to get WU:s. but it seems not to be the case.

Both cards are recognized and both CUDA and OpenCL is installed and verified by the F@H-client. My 1060 works nicely... Well, I can both play games and crunch WU:s at the same time without any loss of production... ? as the Vega 64 do all the gaming and keeping my daily tasks in the OS snappy and my 1060 is going hard in the folding-factory.

But it would be nice to have all that power on full steam ahead for the folding month.... ??

But mixing AMD and Nvidia under linux seems to be no go, what I can tell by searching around on the net.

Hey there!

I'm just getting into folding, and i thought i'd ask the few questions that have come up Right here. Hope that's okay.

I'm folding on my iMac 2017 with an i7-7700K and an AMD Radeon Pro 575. While folding on Medium, the fans do spin up quite loudly, but i guess that's because both the CPU and GPU are running and have to be cooled by the one single fan this magnificent has to offer.

Currently, while on medium, it's prognosing About 240.000 Points per day - is that what i would expect from it?

Also, i have my passkey and Team number set up, and my other Computer has already finished a WU, but there aren't any Points assigned in the web interface nor does it Show me a page when clicking my Name. How Long do i have ot wait to be recognised by the Website, or did i do something wrong?

Also, i'm planning on leaving for three days, so my iMac could run on highest Settings for this time straight - Would it be enough to disable Hibernation before leaving and turning the Display off?

Thanks a lot in Advance!

4 hours ago, macminitosh said:

Hey there!

I'm just getting into folding, and i thought i'd ask the few questions that have come up Right here. Hope that's okay.

I'm folding on my iMac 2017 with an i7-7700K and an AMD Radeon Pro 575. While folding on Medium, the fans do spin up quite loudly, but i guess that's because both the CPU and GPU are running and have to be cooled by the one single fan this magnificent has to offer.

Currently, while on medium, it's prognosing About 240.000 Points per day - is that what i would expect from it?

Also, i have my passkey and Team number set up, and my other Computer has already finished a WU, but there aren't any Points assigned in the web interface nor does it Show me a page when clicking my Name. How Long do i have ot wait to be recognised by the Website, or did i do something wrong?

Also, i'm planning on leaving for three days, so my iMac could run on highest Settings for this time straight - Would it be enough to disable Hibernation before leaving and turning the Display off?

Thanks a lot in Advance!

Welcome aboard. Though most of us run Windows we don’t discriminate here? I self identify as a Linux user.

I haven’t seen specifications on the Radeon Pro 575 for folding but if you pick a card from the GPU Folding Performance Database with a similar architecture (Polaris) the numbers should scale mostly linearly based on the ratio of shaders (cores). So you shoul fall somewhere between a RX 560 and a 580 so your performance, including 50-75,000 PPD for the CPU, seems consistent.

Most of us fold on Max rather than medium as there is some weirdness with the client behaviour at lower settings but things may be better in the Mac world.

CPU folding is not usually very efficient compared to GPU Folding so if you find your thermals getting high you may want to pause just the CPU slot (right click on the slot in the advanced control interface) and see if that improves the thermals. If it does then you could either choose to not use the CPU or lower the number of cores until thermals are in check.

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

GPU folding is unfortunately not supported on Mac.  I'd have a LOT higher folding output if it was.  I found on my Xeon's, especially under OS X, that carving out 3 and 4 thread chunks manually as slots worked better than 1 automatic slot.  It also let me do things like set 1 slot to finish a while before I was going to need to use the machine a bit more heavily, and not have to stop folding.  You may find your best results with a 4 and a 3 on an 8 thread i7, allowing you 1 free thread set so most of the time the system won't be impacted too much, and when you want to use it a bit more heavily, just "finish" (or pause briefly) the 3 thread slot.