Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

33 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I've got my Ryzen 1700x , two r9 furys, two rx480s, and temporarily a gtx 1070 folding. I had the 480s laying around and thought I had enough parts to put together another PC as my PCI-E slots were full from my Furys. 

Udj7s5WP_UbM_h9ezEG1C-GpDvsboFRebBqeV0ju74aHUqUeBnRwQDRfcficNmlvpmZ79iF9BJhLieIAcDbOJIMXASM_IPg94tXul2tk3ff6wuEaE8vwhGbhK_30WpbcoMcH0Bs2wOdlKnLKz2GIIYtfErf4pnecF0S6RkF9V9SJyegV0WNXCRWgFm8H8jMwfs-wwMTq-sk9CulX6LBAWWwlmB4wbtufXOfdCqpnQGWmyJ3lEzT6jiJQqvpIWEvyfFsQkNAXtylW503IOWDhK4NCvK4TnwvuwficdTLBb9EeRUh6XMn2qTIiwD_-FUnfvTeH13likwtIrrGS5fThFHp_UDE0kJoX3unxsgXUm3XXPkG0qcHnXfL4y8VVkNDRt7Han-qNfaR-Eof7Tkj8qGSwGDLChJdFynzlV6KL97qYDnu06V1Xt9DwS63amy5KJTELQsUsFkRqPBCWJ5aWwyMq65unTFjgle8Hk92CpryQHtcGuAMzRtCNwoW8Q1G5W8H0VmAfVU_Kd3Twq-KK98zcjmrBOpSt8mOB-WlO4l-MHgbu2zT7EyYu4rmYYcFSq6MoZsm_ruMW0MMzysZXhBp3ZCBS0WyAA9yTKekW29rCdugWKFtitlIYlWUvxuZBCAEm-bejWCXn96U9XUMsa9ny1g=w1251-h938-no

Rig is an Athlon X2 B22 dual core, somehow working fine with DDR3 1333 ECC server memory on a consumer AM3+ board. Running Windows 10. The CPU is cooled by a copper block (just sitting on top, no mounting pressure )I took from a 10 year old PC, and I couldn't find my thermal paste so I used toothpaste. I'm simply pointing a fan on it. It works and stays cool, staying at 50% CPU load folding on the 480s. It took the system like 4 hours (at 100% load) to update windows before it let me install GPU drivers. 

Overall setup:

uPpvP3_cCFnPfF1IfNFY2xtrrZSBb071iAhQaVms4EQ-FqTEmJRZO14O9ieOg9cMpUy1aXAHZHrWQjE-Lp_W75iNQw5SL-raXhKeMffnfkAHl6c1lOvpTMDtV008wXFf6dBz4S53v9BXkE2OpFlHxOdTQONYmrledzTNLLcNbO7A8TjEytULqjt6KPKaAGZADnSfW8XZWPry3rBKqEeeMljkJ2nA7ynoywhFYFstmybOxObXDn-yQvbNXQHWfEfX0fyIQWhYFFeQlhYEmrnVV-CVKkhrcVgLfmczwRRv0N5EiokdWYrFBjz75HTnpU3rZjE16P-5XY15rTFVnkjLc6P6DmclYCgdv2lMJUKq01msDoJm0B44Sw9GBCMqrV74AK2MsaWPm-5d1r6EcPqtqrfx9fnM9sL1rPpD3h0Brro5PRnu6Ohk3iDoNM4Kq6F3XeK7c6sJsONijqGPt6t57nrVpdebsYRE_P8OX5-5SW6qF7C9M-v9jrFjjW46qeh_OLRXPw4xwilUahfd108sYjzJvJEOjZNjupIdl9nRCLXK8U_hDeI6MtXpgm8Ogk4sd8ScD7P4oo07q2BUWmhDf7IGzZkEn9scO8UwHqzTKZ9yNqUtxofZmFUQociKy3BlErOYtCyeo7vQ6Uw49qVavUZ95Q=w1251-h938-no

If there was an award for best jank folding setup that cpu block just gave you the gold. lol

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

7 minutes ago, palespartan said:

If there was an award for best jank folding setup that cpu block just gave you the gold. lol

I'm more concerned about the watch, screwdriver with the tape, laptop and usb drive ?

*tick tick tick*

20 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I'm more concerned about the watch, screwdriver with the tape, laptop and usb drive ?

*tick tick tick*

The screw driver is to short pins to turn on the 480 mining rig as it doesn't have a power switch. Laptop used to create a bootable USB to install windows on a spare drive to get the 480 rig running.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Well this is an improvement! 

image.png.86342fe9ad02800df84f7fdd334e81cc.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Well this is an improvement! 

image.png.86342fe9ad02800df84f7fdd334e81cc.png

It still looks like a check mark which I like

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

Hi to everyone!  I'm really new to actually taking part in F@H (I've heard of it before, but never participated).  Finally decided to get my hardware working towards a good cause for the LTT F@H month.

I have a 4790k and 1080, both of which are running really well and giving me around 800-850k PPD.  I am, however, seeing a really wide variation in performance on the CPU side.  The TPF (and by proxy, ETA) seems to vary wildly from just over 1 minute, to sometime over 7 minutes.  GPU always seems to stay right around the 1 minute 20 second mark.

Is the CPU variation just a by-product of the particular work unit it's been assigned?  I would have expected to see some variation in the GPU TPF as well if that was the case, but it's been rock solid (at least whenever I've been at the computer and looked at it).  I have the folding power set to full and neither the CPU nor GPU is overclocked.  Temps are in the normal range for full load.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

2 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Hi to everyone!  I'm really new to actually taking part in F@H (I've heard of it before, but never participated).  Finally decided to get my hardware working towards a good cause for the LTT F@H month.

I have a 4790k and 1080, both of which are running really well and giving me around 800-850k PPD.  I am, however, seeing a really wide variation in performance on the CPU side.  The TPF (and by proxy, ETA) seems to vary wildly from just over 1 minute, to sometime over 7 minutes.  GPU always seems to stay right around the 1 minute 20 second mark.

Is the CPU variation just a by-product of the particular work unit it's been assigned?  I would have expected to see some variation in the GPU TPF as well if that was the case, but it's been rock solid (at least whenever I've been at the computer and looked at it).  I have the folding power set to full and neither the CPU nor GPU is overclocked.  Temps are in the normal range for full load.

Different projects so gone you different PPDs, but what I think your are seeing here is your system using the CPU and choking up the threads F@H is using.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Different projects so gone you different PPDs, but what I think your are seeing here is your system using the CPU and choking up the threads F@H is using.

The difference is so big I kind of suspected it was more than just variation between different projects.  It looks like the full option uses 7 of the 8 threads I have.  I wonder if limiting F@H to less threads would keep it more stable by giving more dedicated resources back to the system.  Medium looks to use 6 threads, but I haven't played with lowering the total thread count manually to something below that.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Just now, RAS_3885 said:

The difference is so big I kind of suspected it was more than just variation between different projects.  It looks like the full option uses 7 of the 8 threads I have.  I wonder if limiting F@H to less threads would keep it more stable by giving more dedicated resources back to the system.  Medium looks to use 6 threads, but I haven't played with lowering the total thread count manually to something below that.

If you are using Nvidia cards you want to have one free core per GPU plus one for Windows. I often like to have 3-4 free just because I multitask slot.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

If you are using Nvidia cards you want to have one free core per GPU plus one for Windows. I often like to have 3-4 free just because I multitask slot.

Yeah, I was just re-reading through some of the stickied topics that have CPU config info.  I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can get it to stabilize.  Thanks for the info!

Just now, RAS_3885 said:

Yeah, I was just re-reading through some of the stickied topics that have CPU config info.  I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can get it to stabilize.  Thanks for the info!

No worries, if I can help further please just tag me or quote me :).

welcome to the team!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

WE NOW HAVE A FOLDING SECTION ON DISCORD!!!

GO GO GO 

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

WE NOW HAVE A FOLDING SECTION ON DISCORD!!!

GO GO GO 

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Maybe I'll actually use my Discord for once.

Sorry team had to uninstall the folding@home program, it was causing havoc on my PC.  Running i5 7600k at 4.6ghz, and it was still bringing down my system.  I am running a plex, and android studio on it as well.  So not sure if those have anything to contribute to the performance.

1 minute ago, 2poreair said:

Sorry team had to uninstall the folding@home program, it was causing havoc on my PC.  Running i5 7600k at 4.6ghz, and it was still bringing down my system.  I am running a plex, and android studio on it as well.  So not sure if those have anything to contribute to the performance.

You should have just reduced the number of cores it was using man!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

You should have just reduced the number of cores it was using man!

I only seen it run on one core at a time, it showed 2 work tasks one on the cpu mostly on core 3, and one on the GPU.  I kept it at medium setting.

Just now, 2poreair said:

I only seen it run on one core at a time, it showed 2 work tasks one on the cpu mostly on core 3, and one on the GPU.  I kept it at medium setting.

hmm.... It shouldnt have impacted the performance all that much set to one to two threads, weird.... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, 2poreair said:

Other option is to run it just on the GPU as well since that was probably making way more points than CPU.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

hmm.... It shouldnt have impacted the performance all that much set to one to two threads, weird.... 

That's what i found weird as well.  I paused it to rip some dvds with makeMKV and the process was being hindered, now that i removed the software, the rip process is going smooth.

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

Other option is to run it just on the GPU as well since that was probably making way more points than CPU.

I didn't think about that, I'll prolly reinstall it and set it to GPU then see if that helps

Ok is it possible to run 2 slots on one GTX 1060 GPU?  If so what's the config for it?  I tried it and it froze out the entire FAHclient, going through a reinstall now.

17 minutes ago, 2poreair said:

Ok is it possible to run 2 slots on one GTX 1060 GPU?  If so what's the config for it?  I tried it and it froze out the entire FAHclient, going through a reinstall now.

No, it's one slot per GPU... In fact it sit be impossible to run two ... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

No, it's one slot per GPU... In fact it sit be impossible to run two ... 

Oh ok ty

I've asked for the discord like 5 times in the car thread and no one has given it to me...

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

11 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I've asked for the discord like 5 times in the car thread and no one has given it to me...

There is a car group in the Discord though...
image.png.0b2b40e56fb5c66c44baa9e53768a69d.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450