Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

43 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Congratulations man that is awesome! And yeah heatwave is definitely hitting the team hard but the Aussies seem to be stepping up and keeping our team production up.

I've been using this downtime to get back into the linux game (setting my old mining rig to be just folding on ubuntu) And definitely running into snags. Apparently FAHcontrol in ubuntu depends on python (as expected) but for some reason wont let me install and fix the python dependencies. @Ithanul this really didn't seem to be an issue when you did your FAH linux guide before any ideas on whats going on?

What Ubuntu are you using?  Is it the new one?  I have yet to do an F@H install based on the new released LTS of Ubuntu. I do have Ubuntu 18.04 on my Xeon rig when I was checking it out, but I don't have F@H on that one.  I mostly use Mint Mate on my 1900X (current daily) and still trucking on 18.3 but with kernel 4.17.11 installed within it.

32 minutes ago, palespartan said:

And @Ithanul so not sure how but one of the many things I was trying to fill the python dependencies worked but now I am trying to run both the 970 and 670 off proprietary drivers and for some reason it wont run the 670 off of the 390.xx driver even though it is compatible. Any ideas on that one?

Is it just not showing the 670 in F@H?  Or, is the Nvidia XServer not showing it?

I don't have much experience running a old card like that with a Maxwell card, so not sure what could be up with that.  At most, I ran a Maxwell and a Pascal card under Linux in the same system.

41 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Thanks man, At least from what I can tell we aint the only team being hit by this. 

Most folders and boincers I know cut back during the Summer.  Once Fall and Winter gets here, the output should go back up.  I usually go full bore all year, but the place I'm renting atm has an old A/C unit that eats up the electricity, so I have tone down this year.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

What Ubuntu are you using?  Is it the new one?  I have yet to do an F@H install based on the new released LTS of Ubuntu. I do have Ubuntu 18.04 on my Xeon rig when I was checking it out, but I don't have F@H on that one.  I mostly use Mint Mate on my 1900X (current daily) and still trucking on 18.3 but with kernel 4.17.11 installed within it.

Is it just not showing the 670 in F@H?  Or, is the Nvidia XServer not showing it?

I don't have much experience running a old card like that with a Maxwell card, so not sure what could be up with that.  At most, I ran a Maxwell and a Pascal card under Linux in the same system.

Most folders and boincers I know cut back during the Summer.  Once Fall and Winter gets here, the output should go back up.  I usually go full bore all year, but the place I'm renting atm has an old A/C unit that eats up the electricity, so I have tone down this year.

So I'm using 18.04 LTS. and its showing both cards under additional drivers in "software & updates" and shows both in x-server when I look at FAHcontrol to setup a gpu it only seems to find the 670 (I'm guessing its actually the 970 since I've never had folding label gpu's correctly in multi gpu systems) and wont fold on it just says ready the log says "21:52:23:WARNING:WU01:FS01:FahCore returned: UNKNOWN_ENUM (127 = 0x7f)" as the error. But also FAHcontrol won't find the second card at all.

And no real worries if you don't know but I am definitely out of my element compared to windows so any help is appreciated.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

So, when you try adding a 2nd GPU slot, F@H Control does not add a 2nd card?

By what I can find, the older 327.xx drivers are stable for the older cards.  The newer drivers may not like an old card with a Maxwell (not sure though).  What is the specific driver you using?  Are you on 396 and using the ones off graphic-drivers ppa repository?  By what I can find they are still support all the way down to the 4xx cards, so the GTX670 should fold in Linux.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

20 hours ago, Ithanul said:

So, when you try adding a 2nd GPU slot, F@H Control does not add a 2nd card?

By what I can find, the older 327.xx drivers are stable for the older cards.  The newer drivers may not like an old card with a Maxwell (not sure though).  What is the specific driver you using?  Are you on 396 and using the ones off graphic-drivers ppa repository?  By what I can find they are still support all the way down to the 4xx cards, so the GTX670 should fold in Linux.

when I try to add the extra folding slot as a gpu. FAH spits out the error of no other gpu found. Right now the driver says its using the "NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-390 (open source)" (which I assume is just using the the 390 driver) for the 970 and for the 670 it says "continue using manually installed driver" and all other options are grayed out. I am going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver again and see what happens.

Folding Community Board:

29 minutes ago, palespartan said:

when I try to add the extra folding slot as a gpu. FAH spits out the error of no other gpu found. Right now the driver says its using the "NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-390 (open source)" (which I assume is just using the the 390 driver) for the 970 and for the 670 it says "continue using manually installed driver" and all other options are grayed out. I am going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver again and see what happens.

Hmmm, that is the open source version then, what you want is this one as it is the latest official Nvidia proprietary driver for Linux:

5b60cb67abe3c_Screenshotat2018-07-3116-49-12.png.2ddc3d4589a41a39d3651a6b76e4286a.png

You will probably have to add in the graphic-driver repository to have access to those.

The open source versions tend to be a bit flaky.  Nvidia and AMD have open source and proprietary drivers for Linux.  The AMD cards tend to work pretty good on their open source versions, but the Nvidia open source ones tend to lag behind in compression, so best advise is to get the proprietary ones when using Nvidia GPUs.

Probably need to update the guide about that.

Also, since you have Ubuntu 18.04, you probably just have the default kernel.  If you don't have it all the way built up, I advise to get kernel 4.17.11 installed for the benefits it gives (it really gave a little boost to my TR along with the fact that kernel has the patches for Spectre and Meltdown in it).

On 2018-07-31 at 10:52 PM, Ithanul said:

Also, since you have Ubuntu 18.04, you probably just have the default kernel.  If you don't have it all the way built up, I advise to get kernel 4.17.11 installed for the benefits it gives (it really gave a little boost to my TR along with the fact that kernel has the patches for Spectre and Meltdown in it).

Those two sentences sums it up, Ubuntu have a LTS-kernel and it get all the security updates backported  and is perfectly up to date in that aspect.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:52 PM, Ithanul said:

Hmmm, that is the open source version then, what you want is this one as it is the latest official Nvidia proprietary driver for Linux:

5b60cb67abe3c_Screenshotat2018-07-3116-49-12.png.2ddc3d4589a41a39d3651a6b76e4286a.png

You will probably have to add in the graphic-driver repository to have access to those.

The open source versions tend to be a bit flaky.  Nvidia and AMD have open source and proprietary drivers for Linux.  The AMD cards tend to work pretty good on their open source versions, but the Nvidia open source ones tend to lag behind in compression, so best advise is to get the proprietary ones when using Nvidia GPUs.

Probably need to update the guide about that.

On 8/2/2018 at 3:51 PM, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Those two sentences sums it up, Ubuntu have a LTS-kernel and it get all the security updates backported  and is perfectly up to date in that aspect.

Ok so here is the update so far. I have updated the kernel, I have folding client working perfect but it wont detect the 970 (disconnected the 670 to test out what the real problem was.) I check and no matter what I do the 970 seems to run on the 390 binary metadata driver which is labeled as open source. so in the process of downloading the driver directly from nvidia and running the sh command on the run file it fails every time. Something about isolating the neuovu driver or something along those lines. I'm not entirely sure but for some reason after the first fail it doesn't even get that far. I don't have access to the system until tomorrow now but let me know what data I could pull from it to help out with this. At least now I know its just a driver issue though.

Folding Community Board:

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Finally broke the top 500 in the LTT team B|

image.png.c0f9b0bca208ae3a61df8e34c4293806.png

Nice man

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Nice man

Thanks! I figured since I left my PC on every night I might as well fold during that time and it's worked pretty well.

Guys, It has happened, I have got into the top 30!!! Not onto my goal of getting into the top 25. Its getting harder and harder to push up ranks though.

But my next short term goal is to hit 200 mil points. 

image.png.5d88c117fbcf52ae4e163db8071b27e5.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Well guys... Kevdogs law strikes again .. Today marks the day that my original Vega 64 exploded.... During a f**king windows 10 update... Only 9 months old so I will RMA the card, but they don't make the reference cards anymore... I like my reference design... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 8/15/2018 at 2:38 PM, Ben Quigley said:

Well guys... Kevdogs law strikes again .. Today marks the day that my original Vega 64 exploded.... During a f**king windows 10 update... Only 9 months old so I will RMA the card, but they don't make the reference cards anymore... I like my reference design... 

Ah, this post.

So it got you, good thing you can RMA the card.  My poor dead 5960X on the other hand just sits on my desk.  It died right when I was doing W7 Ult updates....

25 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Ah, this post.

So it got you, good thing you can RMA the card.  My poor dead 5960X on the other hand just sits on my desk.  It died right when I was doing W7 Ult updates....

Yeah this post, it gets us all in the end! They don't even make reference Vega cards these days so no idea what I'm going to end up with.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

Yeah this post, it gets us all in the end! They don't even make reference Vega cards these days so no idea what I'm going to end up with.

Hmmm, I think I recall seeing some used ones floating around for sell.

Actually, I think I saw a craigslist down here for about two of them.  Tempting, as I want to mess with a red card again, but I got enough GPUs atm and still hunting a chip for my X99 board that is now a lonely empty board.

5 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Hmmm, I think I recall seeing some used ones floating around for sell.

Actually, I think I saw a craigslist down here for about two of them.  Tempting, as I want to mess with a red card again, but I got enough GPUs atm and still hunting a chip for my X99 board that is now a lonely empty board.

They can't give me a used card off Craigslist though...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• 2 weeks later...

@imreloadin I saw you in the milestones thread, Im just wondering What hardware are you using? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

11 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@imreloadin I saw you in the milestones thread, Im just wondering What hardware are you using? 

I'm only folding on my GPU which is an EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid. Core clock is set at 2050MHz on a custom voltage curve that leaves the temps at around 48-50C while folding and the Memory just has a +50 overclock in Afterburner. My CPU is a 4690K at 4.5GHz but I don't see the point in folding on that so I never do xD

I normally only folded overnight while I was asleep but since I started classes on Monday I haven't been gaming nearly as much so it has been folding more.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, today is a sad day, I've just heard back from the retailer and they have decided to refund me, not replace or repair, but seing as I got the card for a steal I'm now lost on what to do. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so after being AWOL for a couple of months. I have decided that I am going to do Folding Month but going to push it back to November. Going to be same Format as the folding week we did (just with a lot more time). I will create a post either today or tomorrow and link it to the original post here as well as having its own thread. Looking forward to this and since we have a whole month between now and then lets see how far out there we can get the word. I also think that I am going to message @james after I have everything finalized about maybe getting a shout on the WAN show. Let me know if you have any ideas for this go around from stats to track, to ways to spread the word, to possible prizes to donate. (prizes are up in the air as far as I'm concerned. I would like to keep them small and simple like maybe something cool like a custom signature or something like that, maybe we could talk to mods about doing something?) but basically that's the short of it. If you want to get in touch with me about something either post here or pm me. I should be a lot more active on here now as opposed to the last couple of months.

Happy folding!

Folding Community Board:

2 hours ago, palespartan said:

Ok so after being AWOL for a couple of months. I have decided that I am going to do Folding Month but going to push it back to November. Going to be same Format as the folding week we did (just with a lot more time). I will create a post either today or tomorrow and link it to the original post here as well as having its own thread. Looking forward to this and since we have a whole month between now and then lets see how far out there we can get the word. I also think that I am going to message @james after I have everything finalized about maybe getting a shout on the WAN show. Let me know if you have any ideas for this go around from stats to track, to ways to spread the word, to possible prizes to donate. (prizes are up in the air as far as I'm concerned. I would like to keep them small and simple like maybe something cool like a custom signature or something like that, maybe we could talk to mods about doing something?) but basically that's the short of it. If you want to get in touch with me about something either post here or pm me. I should be a lot more active on here now as opposed to the last couple of months.

Happy folding!

@Whiskers did talk about possibly a badge for the next event. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

@Whiskers did talk about possibly a badge for the next event. 

That would be awesome. I was also wondering if I could call it "LTT's Official Folding Month" but not sure who to ask permission for that one... Was maybe just going to message James and Luke and hope someone responds? Maybe a mod as well?

Folding Community Board:

5 minutes ago, palespartan said:

That would be awesome. I was also wondering if I could call it "LTT's Official Folding Month" but not sure who to ask permission for that one... Was maybe just going to message James and Luke and hope someone responds? Maybe a mod as well?

Feel free to shoot a PM my way. ?

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Just now, Whiskers said:

Feel free to shoot a PM my way. ?

was sending you one with a bunch of people from the LTT staff unless you think I should just send it to you?

Folding Community Board:

Just now, palespartan said:

was sending you one with a bunch of people from the LTT staff unless you think I should just send it to you?

It's up to you. By LTT staff do you mean forum staff or LMG employees? If it's the former feel free to add whoever you want, if it's the latter though I'd maybe suggest adding just the one.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff