Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, chrebean1 said:

Went with the 5700XT instead of an RTX 2070, because you can achieve similar folding results at around $100 less than nVidia's offering. While I agree AMD's drivers and software need more tweaking than nVidia, I'd rather do that than pay for an overpriced graphics card in the twilight of the 20XX series. 

Actually I found the 5700XTs performed about as good as an RTX 2060 so about the same price. Their raw compute performance in Terrra FLOPs suggest they should do better than they do but Folding@Home appears to run better on Nvidias OpenGL implementation than AMDs. It appears to be an issue at the driver level from what I’ve read. I was hoping they’d do better as I’m interested in better PPD/W as it’s the Power Bill in the long term that could see improvements.

 

I also found running them under Ubuntu to be a pain to be able to tune their power limits, fan control and undervolting.

 

All of these issues appear to be at a driver level and AMD just doesn’t seem willing or able to fix them. Likely they’re more focused on the gaming performance which makes sense as that is where the majority of their market is and they have more limited resources than their competition.

 

There is a new CUDA core coming for folding at home that has potential to further widen the gap.

 

Don't get me wrong. I like AMD products. It’s just easier for me, in my use case, to stick with NVidia for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whelp! There goes my RTX 2070. 2070 on the left, 2080 on the right.

 

RIP, Jan 2020 - Aug 2020.


Current Build

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LazyDev said:

Whelp! There goes my RTX 2070. 2070 on the left, 2080 on the right.

 

Can't you RMA it?


My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

 

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates
 

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

 

  • CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Juggy said:

It's a kepler card so theoretically should be fine. Found a few threads of it working on VM instances.

 

Image for post


Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X+ Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

It's a kepler card so theoretically should be fine. Found a few threads of it working on VM instances.

 

Image for post

Thanks, I wonder if it makes sense in price/performance. $350 for 4992 Cuda cores seems a pretty decent deal unless I am missing something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juggy said:

Thanks, I wonder if it makes sense in price/performance. $350 for 4992 Cuda cores seems a pretty decent deal unless I am missing something.

This likely does not make sense unless you're getting it for free to tinker with.

This is a data center card so you need to keep in mind that if you are not putting it in to a forced air server case, you will need to rig up a cooling fan and duct to force air through the card to keep it cool in a normal PC case.

When you factor the time / cost of doing that and that it's older generation so the power usage will be high as well you are probably better off getting a RTX 2060 Super in terms of purchase price, PPD and electricity cost to operate.

Have a look at the PPD DB https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_overall  to see various NVIDIA cards to get an idea of performance and electricity cost.  Which may help your decision.  

I personally looked in to this kinda of stuff for about 4 months seeing used server cards on Ebay but eventually decided on consumer cards to avoid running a server case for data center cards with fans that sound like jet engines while folding.

Another thing to keep in mind, is for many of the data center cards you're paying for all the DRAM which for folding won't be needed at the sizes often found server tier cards.   Making it more affordable to find a comparable GPU processor model with far less RAM on the consumer side.


Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of Folding@Home in the Dark browser extension and GPU PPD database

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juggy said:

Thanks, I wonder if it makes sense in price/performance. $350 for 4992 Cuda cores seems a pretty decent deal unless I am missing something.

I did the same kind of analysis as LAR_Systems and came to the same conclusion the RTX 2060 super is the sweet spot and bought 2 of them to upgrade my folding system. If you power limit them to 80% you drop the power draw down to ~135W with no real effect on PPD and you are getting ~519136 points per kWh. Here is a sheet I put togeather for the analysis I did of the different cards.

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iauimDyaUS0jnpeYqRNbM2uub-ASvS1OEz2yEUNJgls/edit#gid=0


Are you looking for a good cause to support ? 

 Macmillan Cancer Support | Cancer Research UK

Fight against COVID-19 with Folding at Home

 

Folding systems - 

 

Ryzen 7 2700X | ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4-2400 | 250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2  NVMe | ADATA ASU650SS-960GT-C 960GB Ultimate | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC ULTRA GAMING 6GB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING 8GB | Corsair 750W TX750M 80Plus Gold | GameMax F15M Mesh | Windows 10 Pro

 

Ryzen 7 1700 | ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4) DDR4-2400 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 |  EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC ULTRA GAMING 6GB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING 8GB | Corsair 750W TX750M 80Plus Gold | MasterBox MB500 | Windows 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LAR_Systems said:

This likely does not make sense unless you're getting it for free to tinker with.

This is a data center card so you need to keep in mind that if you are not putting it in to a forced air server case, you will need to rig up a cooling fan and duct to force air through the card to keep it cool in a normal PC case.

When you factor the time / cost of doing that and that it's older generation so the power usage will be high as well you are probably better off getting a RTX 2060 Super in terms of purchase price, PPD and electricity cost to operate.

Have a look at the PPD DB https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_overall  to see various NVIDIA cards to get an idea of performance and electricity cost.  Which may help your decision.  

I personally looked in to this kinda of stuff for about 4 months seeing used server cards on Ebay but eventually decided on consumer cards to avoid running a server case for data center cards with fans that sound like jet engines while folding.

Another thing to keep in mind, is for many of the data center cards you're paying for all the DRAM which for folding won't be needed at the sizes often found server tier cards.   Making it more affordable to find a comparable GPU processor model with far less RAM on the consumer side.

Thank you for the great response, I come from a datacentre virtualisation background running large VM clusters on Dell blade and NetApp technology however my Tesla, Cuda, GPU compute knowledge is not that great. Having said that I do have a few R7xx and R9xx boxes laying about but it sounds to me that the power vs reward question makes it a futile exercise.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marknd59 said:

I did the same kind of analysis as LAR_Systems and came to the same conclusion the RTX 2060 super is the sweet spot and bought 2 of them to upgrade my folding system. If you power limit them to 80% you drop the power draw down to ~135W with no real effect on PPD and you are getting ~519136 points per kWh. Here is a sheet I put togeather for the analysis I did of the different cards.

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iauimDyaUS0jnpeYqRNbM2uub-ASvS1OEz2yEUNJgls/edit#gid=0

I would agree, I ran a Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming OC and price vs performance it really cannot be topped.

 

Hopefully when RTX3xxx is launched I will find enough spare daneros to keep my 2080 Super and build a folding only rig with a few spare parts I have lying around.

 

2080 Super plus 3090 should help the cause and the team a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Can't you RMA it?

In the process of getting this done. It's a Zotac Mini 8GB.


Current Build

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any kind of way, that folding home will support, using all cores but like 60-70% of the CPU? So instead of choosing how many threads you want going, then instead choosing how many percentage the entire CPU uses?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eviac2370 said:

Is there any kind of way, that folding home will support, using all cores but like 60-70% of the CPU? So instead of choosing how many threads you want going, then instead choosing how many percentage the entire CPU uses?

that's how it works iirc, i don't think fah has control over individual threads but it puts a load on representative to, say, 10/12ths of the cpu's max load

 

i'd frankly prefer to be able to tell it to use individual threads so i could then leave one or two threads spare to set nvidia drivers to use so i can run cpu folding without the gpu penalty that outweighs the benefit of adding the cpu in


disregard women, fold proteins.

 

systems:

Spoiler

Main (in rebuild - specs when finished) - Zenith.
R9 3900x 4.25GHz All-Core // X570 Aorus Ultra // 32GB 3200MHz // eVGA 3090FTW 2080Ti Lightning Z

 

Folding Station - HAL@HOME. (Temporarily out of use)

i7-4790k 4.8GHz // Z97X-UD5H // 32GB 2133MHz DomPlats // 2080Ti Lightning Z 1070Ti FTW2 (on test)

 

TV / LAN machine - Demeter.

R5 3600 4.25GHz All-Core // B450i Aorus Pro Wifi // 16GB 3200MHz // Vega64 Silver (Air)

 

Running Parts Bin - Scrappy.

i5-4690k 4.8GHz // Z97 PRO GAMER // 16GB 2133MHz // R9 295x2(240 rad mod)

 

Laptop 1 - Valkyrie.

i7-8750H // Asus FX705GM // 32GB 2400MHz // 1060 6GB

 

Spoiler

 

Partner's Bastard Box - Sundae.

i5-4460 // Gigabyte H97N-WiFi // 16GB 1600MHz // 1080Ti FE

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you set up the non-web client, you can go into Configure > Slots

In here, click on the CPU option and the Edit button.

 

Where it says CPUs at the top, the default is -1 for "use as many as this project likes", which is usually all of them.  You can set that to any number of threads you want, for example 10 if you have a 12 thread CPU and want to leave 2 free for GPU folding and general use.  I often set up 2 different CPU slots, with them totaling together the number of threads I want to use max, so I can tell one of the slots to finish ahead of expected heavier use of the system, while still letting the other slot keep chugging.  At least on older high core count multi-CPU server machines, this doesn't negatively affect PPD for me as long as they're both running.

 

There isn't a way to tell it to only load each thread at a certain percentage.  But it will adjust the priority of the process, both with the general slider and "Folding Core Priority" under Advanced.  With it low, it'll still try to not let there be idle time on the CPU, but anything else you start running will get priority over F@H.  I find best practice for a normally used machine is to leave the priority low and to keep 2 threads unused, and that basically makes the performance hit not noticeable unless you're running something else that really wants to do a sustained 100% stress load on the CPU (like a long software encode or similar).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Discord server down or have I just been kicked off for some reason ?

 

Edited -- forget I've figured it out.


Are you looking for a good cause to support ? 

 Macmillan Cancer Support | Cancer Research UK

Fight against COVID-19 with Folding at Home

 

Folding systems - 

 

Ryzen 7 2700X | ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4-2400 | 250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2  NVMe | ADATA ASU650SS-960GT-C 960GB Ultimate | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC ULTRA GAMING 6GB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING 8GB | Corsair 750W TX750M 80Plus Gold | GameMax F15M Mesh | Windows 10 Pro

 

Ryzen 7 1700 | ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4) DDR4-2400 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 |  EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC ULTRA GAMING 6GB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING 8GB | Corsair 750W TX750M 80Plus Gold | MasterBox MB500 | Windows 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Folding month 2020 is live!!!!!!

 

 

 

due to solicitors doing what solicitors do best, i am unable to confirm for sure my attendance


disregard women, fold proteins.

 

systems:

Spoiler

Main (in rebuild - specs when finished) - Zenith.
R9 3900x 4.25GHz All-Core // X570 Aorus Ultra // 32GB 3200MHz // eVGA 3090FTW 2080Ti Lightning Z

 

Folding Station - HAL@HOME. (Temporarily out of use)

i7-4790k 4.8GHz // Z97X-UD5H // 32GB 2133MHz DomPlats // 2080Ti Lightning Z 1070Ti FTW2 (on test)

 

TV / LAN machine - Demeter.

R5 3600 4.25GHz All-Core // B450i Aorus Pro Wifi // 16GB 3200MHz // Vega64 Silver (Air)

 

Running Parts Bin - Scrappy.

i5-4690k 4.8GHz // Z97 PRO GAMER // 16GB 2133MHz // R9 295x2(240 rad mod)

 

Laptop 1 - Valkyrie.

i7-8750H // Asus FX705GM // 32GB 2400MHz // 1060 6GB

 

Spoiler

 

Partner's Bastard Box - Sundae.

i5-4460 // Gigabyte H97N-WiFi // 16GB 1600MHz // 1080Ti FE

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

due to solicitors doing what solicitors do best, i am unable to confirm for sure my attendance

Just sigh up then you are covered either way!


My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

 

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates
 

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

 

  • CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, justpoet said:

When you set up the non-web client, you can go into Configure > Slots

In here, click on the CPU option and the Edit button.

 

Where it says CPUs at the top, the default is -1 for "use as many as this project likes", which is usually all of them.  You can set that to any number of threads you want, for example 10 if you have a 12 thread CPU and want to leave 2 free for GPU folding and general use.  I often set up 2 different CPU slots, with them totaling together the number of threads I want to use max, so I can tell one of the slots to finish ahead of expected heavier use of the system, while still letting the other slot keep chugging.  At least on older high core count multi-CPU server machines, this doesn't negatively affect PPD for me as long as they're both running.

 

There isn't a way to tell it to only load each thread at a certain percentage.  But it will adjust the priority of the process, both with the general slider and "Folding Core Priority" under Advanced.  With it low, it'll still try to not let there be idle time on the CPU, but anything else you start running will get priority over F@H.  I find best practice for a normally used machine is to leave the priority low and to keep 2 threads unused, and that basically makes the performance hit not noticeable unless you're running something else that really wants to do a sustained 100% stress load on the CPU (like a long software encode or similar).

So you're saying. 2 threads is more than enough for an RTX 2070 super? (More specific: i9-9900KF 5ghz "boost mode", RTX 2070S asus strix 8gb) cooled with a corsair H115i "280mm". I normally run 6 CPU, as it runs about 80C avg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 10:08 AM, yaboistar said:

that's how it works iirc, i don't think fah has control over individual threads but it puts a load on representative to, say, 10/12ths of the cpu's max load

 

i'd frankly prefer to be able to tell it to use individual threads so i could then leave one or two threads spare to set nvidia drivers to use so i can run cpu folding without the gpu penalty that outweighs the benefit of adding the cpu in

I get you, but i don't do anything else on my computer, as i have it running while sleeping. So to me that's irrelevant :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eviac2370 said:

So you're saying. 2 threads is more than enough for an RTX 2070 super? (More specific: i9-9900KF 5ghz "boost mode", RTX 2070S asus strix 8gb) cooled with a corsair H115i "280mm". I normally run 6 CPU, as it runs about 80C avg

You should leave 1 thread for each Nvidia card you have in your system.


Are you looking for a good cause to support ? 

 Macmillan Cancer Support | Cancer Research UK

Fight against COVID-19 with Folding at Home

 

Folding systems - 

 

Ryzen 7 2700X | ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4-2400 | 250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2  NVMe | ADATA ASU650SS-960GT-C 960GB Ultimate | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC ULTRA GAMING 6GB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING 8GB | Corsair 750W TX750M 80Plus Gold | GameMax F15M Mesh | Windows 10 Pro

 

Ryzen 7 1700 | ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4) DDR4-2400 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 |  EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC ULTRA GAMING 6GB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING 8GB | Corsair 750W TX750M 80Plus Gold | MasterBox MB500 | Windows 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×