Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Dear colleagues,

Division “Community informatics” of the Federal Research Center "Computer Science and Control" of the Russian Academy of Sciences conducts servey on the processes of interaction (collaboration) in solving problems of modern science.

It is well known that associations (teams) of participants in voluntary computing (VC) play an active role in the implementation of VC  projects on the BOINC platform. 

With the study of the Russian community, we interested to get an information of the motivation of the teamwork and collaboration of the members of the BOINC community from other countries. We will be grateful for your participation!

Based on the results of research colleagues of the motivation factors of  VC participants, we ask you to answer the following questions. The results of this survey can be useful, both for the projects organizers (initiators)  and for team captains as well as  the VC participants themselves.

The results of the survey will be publicly available later.

Link to survey (based on Google Forms): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfPbxt0-cANw1d6VO7hqGFprOxenL30lMQb331Pdvf2VNii6w/viewform

13 hours ago, palespartan said:

Ok that makes sense. I was thinking with your hardware that you should be up there with us in ppd but yeah with electricity and heat right now its definitely time for a break for a lot of us. I'm just waiting to see how long I can really hold out, I already had to stop my cpu all together and turned off the oc on my gpu during the day.

Well, my power bill went from like 70-90 bucks to 150 bucks.  So, this month I only got one rig crunching at night time on BOINC units.

But yeah, if I had all my GPUs going, I blast right into the top ten with ease at F@H crunching.  My 1950X though is in limbo at the moment.  Still trying to source other parts to get it the way I want.  If I can stop spending money on my other expensive hobbies: aka, installing after market sound system in a truck.  Still can't make my mind up: two 8 inch Sundowns or one 12 inch Sundown sub....decisions, decisions.  Considering I don't want to do an alt upgrade on the truck, but do have wiggle room since I got the tow package, my truck came with the 130 amp alt.  Then do I just cheap out with a LOC or go full on with a DSP.  ....darn me and wanting some good sound in my truck.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Well, my power bill went from like 70-90 bucks to 150 bucks.  So, this month I only got one rig crunching at night time on BOINC units.

But yeah, if I had all my GPUs going, I blast right into the top ten with ease at F@H crunching.  My 1950X though is in limbo at the moment.  Still trying to source other parts to get it the way I want.  If I can stop spending money on my other expensive hobbies: aka, installing after market sound system in a truck.  Still can't make my mind up: two 8 inch Sundowns or one 12 inch Sundown sub....decisions, decisions.  Considering I don't want to do an alt upgrade on the truck, but do have wiggle room since I got the tow package, my truck came with the 130 amp alt.  Then do I just cheap out with a LOC or go full on with a DSP.  ....darn me and wanting some good sound in my truck.

Two 8s sound better, if you want to save money an LOC is an easy way to do it. I mean I like my digital audio gear, but sometimes you gotta compromise somewhere.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Two 8s sound better, if you want to save money an LOC is an easy way to do it. I mean I like my digital audio gear, but sometimes you gotta compromise somewhere.

Hmmm, yeah, the LOC is cheaper, but I really not sure if I be satisfied with that pulling off my OEM head unit.  I may go LOC route first.  If that don't still satisfy me, then I can go DSP route.

So the two 8s should still do clean bass fairly well then?  I never experienced 8 inch subs in an install.  My only experience is the monster two 12s in my cousin's setup.  I know the two 8 inch SA Sundowns can fit with a custom box as I already seen some folks with 2016+ model Tacomas using those.  I just have to be mindful since the 3rd gen models have those vents behind the seats.

I still need to get my lazy butt and get my after market tweeters in and the amp for my door speakers installed.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

Just now, Ithanul said:

Hmmm, yeah, the LOC is cheaper, but I really not sure if I be satisfied with that pulling off my OEM head unit.  I may go LOC route first.  If that don't still satisfy me, then I can go DSP route.

So the two 8s should still do clean bass fairly well then?  I never experienced 8 inch subs in an install.  My only experience is the monster two 12s in my cousin's setup.  I know the two 8 inch SA Sundowns can fit with a custom box as I already seen some folks with 2016+ model Tacomas using those.

I would think the 8s would do a fine job. LOC are always great as a stop gap measure but you just dont get the same level of control and manipulation. You will never be 100% satisfied with an LOC in the long run, but in the short term... They get the job done. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

I would think the 8s would do a fine job. LOC are always great as a stop gap measure but you just dont get the same level of control and manipulation. You will never be 100% satisfied with an LOC in the long run, but in the short term... They get the job done. 

True.  The short term I get the LOC, then save for a good quality DSP for later.

Still working out my install phases/stages for this setup.  It just the amp and subs are critical to match up correctly.

Just now, Ithanul said:

True.  The short term I get the LOC, then save for a good quality DSP.

That would be my recommendation. as for the 8s, I think a dual 8 inch system can be as good as a 12 inch with a good box design. The other god part of it is you can run them both lower too get the same volume overall which i always good to make sure you dont blow them.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

That would be my recommendation. as for the 8s, I think a dual 8 inch system can be as good as a 12 inch with a good box design. The other god part of it is you can run them both lower too get the same volume overall which i always good to make sure you dont blow them.

Yeah, got to be careful doing that; otherwise one can have blown speakers and/or amps dieing.

So, I probably go with the Sundowns.  Now to pair a good amp.  Those Sundowns come in either 4ohm or 2ohm models.

The ones I keep looking at is the SA -8 V.3 D4 500W RMS Sundowns.  There is the D2 ones which are the 2ohm models.

21 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Oh I know that pain. Trying to balance upgrading my PC and working on my car/bike has always been hard to balance. And now too looking at platform upgrade wile trying to pick up either a g37 or s2k as my next car is not easy.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

3 hours ago, palespartan said:

Oh I know that pain. Trying to balance upgrading my PC and working on my car/bike has always been hard to balance. And now too looking at platform upgrade wile trying to pick up either a g37 or s2k as my next car is not easy.

Yep.  Even more so considering I have a truck and two motorcycles.  :|

Though, I think I am good on computer rigs at the moment.  This TR is probably going to be my most expensive setup yet.

32 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Though, I think I am good on computer rigs at the moment.  This TR is probably going to be my most expensive setup yet.

I don't have any motor vehicles myself, have a £1.5k road bike though, like a pedal bike. Just slightly more expensive than my PC. 

You know @palespartan @Ithanul would be nice to get to know each other? If your up for it, just general things? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

20 hours ago, Ithanul said:

I cant wait to see it when its all done. Its gonna be sick as hell.

19 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I don't have any motor vehicles myself, have a £1.5k road bike though, like a pedal bike. Just slightly more expensive than my PC. 

You know @palespartan @Ithanul would be nice to get to know each other? If your up for it, just general things? 

Yeah I'm down. Sounds like a good idea.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

1 hour ago, palespartan said:

Yeah I'm down. Sounds like a good idea.

Well, I'll start, I'm 22, I'm a full time carer for my mum. I enjoy IT, cycling (once my bike is back to being safe), I also enjoy Baking, cooking and home-brewing. 

I am an executive officer for a local charity where I am unpaid. I'm the treasurer (like a CFO) and also a volunteer youth worker. 

Previously I have worked and volunteered as a targeted youth worker where I worked with disabled children. And I have also worked as an audio technician. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 hours ago, palespartan said:

Just don't except flashy lights and all that jazz.  I'm sick enough of seeing all the RGB rave show lights in Computex pictures.

It is sad when the few things that got my attention where wood style water blocks, some Ducky keyboards, and the NUCs.

Those Noctua's desk fan dilly was a bit odd though.  o.O

If about past job and current job life info, I rather not post most of that on the forum.  I can't even really tell fully what my current job is to folks any way.  Most I say, I mess with a Linux system in a building with no windows.

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Just don't except flashy lights and all that jazz.  I'm sick enough of seeing all the RGB rave show lights in Computex pictures.

It is sad when the few things that got my attention where wood style water blocks, some Ducky keyboards, and the NUCs.

Those Noctua's desk fan dilly was a bit odd though.  o.O

If about past job and current job life info, I rather not post most of that on the forum.  I can't even really tell fully what my current job is to folks any way.  Most I say, I mess with a Linux system in a building with no windows.

What about hobbies? Or interests etc etc

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

21 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

What about hobbies? Or interests etc etc

Hobby wise:

Drawing: mostly ink when I am in the mood.

Jigsaw puzzles

Tinkering/building computers

Aftermarket vehicle sound systems

Photography when I am in the mood.

Otherwise, I'm a lazy sleepy person and usually must be poked with stick to do stuff on my days off.

Ended up having some unscheduled down time due to us hitting 28.5C here today. Damn it's too warm! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Ended up having some unscheduled down time due to us hitting 28.5C here today. Damn it's too warm! 

Can I haz temps?

It is breaking above 95F/35C outside here.

Just now, Ithanul said:

Can I haz temps?

It is breaking above 95F/35C outside here.

Do you have AC though?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Do you have AC though?

Yeah, I got AC, but it still gets toasty on the 2nd floor here.

I can handle below 90F fairly well inside.  It just sucks that humidity levels here can get bad.

Just now, Ithanul said:

Yeah, I got AC, but it still gets toasty on the 2nd floor here.

AC in homes isn't a thing here, and an additional 1800-2000 watts of heat isn't pleasant.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

AC in homes isn't a thing here, and an additional 1800-2000 watts of heat isn't pleasant.

Yeah, I remember that when I was in Britain for a few weeks.

Though, it felt nice to me while I was there in the Summer.  I know I got odd looks while I was there since I walked around in pants and in the morning wore a light jacket.

Have to say though, darn nice castles over there.

I take those temps though any day of the week over the temps in Iraq and Kuwait.  .....it dry heat, but darn it gets hot.

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Yeah, I remember that when I was in Britain for a few weeks.

Though, it felt nice to me while I was there in the Summer.  I know I got odd looks while I was there since I walked around in pants and in the morning wore a light jacket.

Haha I wear jeans, a thick tweed shirt, usually with an overshirt or jacket and a beanie all year round! I get many a strange looks. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Haha I wear jeans, a thick tweed shirt, usually with an overshirt or jacket and a beanie all year round! I get many a strange looks. 

Darn.  And, here I thought I disliked cold temperatures.

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Darn.  And, here I thought I disliked cold temperatures.

I don't mind the cold or the warm, but I just like wearing these types of clothes, I also always wear boots and in winter leather gloves.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240