Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Join me in celebrating my birthday with a week of folding with more LTT prizes! 

I got run over by a car whilst on my bike 10 years ago, f**king sucked! 2 surgeries and months of rehab later I was ok thankfully, nearly lost my leg though! Hope you're ok @GOTSpectrum

The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better - RFK

14 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

as someone CPU folding on a 3600 - undervolt it and you'll see the most difference. i run 4.2 on an undervolt and get about 150kppd. it's pitiful compared to the GPU units but it's also the only way those WU's get done and Zen2 is the only architecture i have that is efficient enough to do it without making my cooler(s) ramp all the way up to the damn moon

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a tinker

5 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The guy failed to indicate then crossed my lane, so had practically no time to react. By the time I realised he was turning I was already in the junction and he hit me side on. Luckily it was only 5mph or so, but still how the hell did the guy not see me while driving towards me on the same road. I mean I was wearing a bright blue cycling jersey!!! Pretty hard to miss imo. 

Sorry to hear that spec.

I am an avid cyclist (both to and from work, as well as 20-40 miles per day for my exercise) and the situation is pretty terrible here in the states.

A mix of extremely dangerous drivers (if you saw their med list, you could confirm they dont need to be drinking to be under the influence), sleepyness from morbid obese people that have chronic sleep apnea with CO2's that stay in the 60-70's, and mix that with cycling not being as common here and drivers literally hating you even if you are doing everything perfectly.  I have had drivers swerve at me and get within a few inches while going 60mph to let me know they are pissed I am on their road, when I was actually so far to the side I was almost in the dirt already basically (and I actually am ALLOWED to be in the middle of the road, but I dont believe in slowing down traffic...and dont trust drivers... so I ride almost in the gutter).

Anyways, its a bad situation it seems everywhere, so sorry you got clipped...when I ride I stay on full alert and dont trust a soul that is on the road for all of the above reasons;  careless mofos who arent well enough equipped to pay attention to their responsibilities on the road; and due to technology, they are pretty much now on their phones non stop to add an extra element their brains arent equipped to handle.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Well that was odd.

Apparently no folding the past 24 hours because the client somehow nuked the GPU slot and identified my iGPU instead of the 2060...

had to go thru a few rounds of forcing it to GPU slot 1 before it got its brain back

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

5 hours ago, NZKshatriya said:

Well that was odd.

Apparently no folding the past 24 hours because the client somehow nuked the GPU slot and identified my iGPU instead of the 2060...

had to go thru a few rounds of forcing it to GPU slot 1 before it got its brain back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nauLgZISozs

5 hours ago, NZKshatriya said:

Well that was odd.

I plesently surprised with the performance of my 2060, could of got better FPS by going down the AMD route for the same money, but got suckered with by the ray tracing marketing!

19 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The guy failed to indicate then crossed my lane, so had practically no time to react. By the time I realised he was turning I was already in the junction and he hit me side on. Luckily it was only 5mph or so, but still how the hell did the guy not see me while driving towards me on the same road. I mean I was wearing a bright blue cycling jersey!!! Pretty hard to miss imo. 

Holy crimini mushrooms! So sorry to hear that! You're not having a good run lately, are you? Cleanse your house from evil spirits with sage! Or something! Sorry--not trying to make light of your recent problems. I send a virtual sterile hug your way. 😷

My Folding@home stats. I love meat but I'm pescatarian*. I have chronic dry eyes. Enough about me, how are you? 

* My wife finally caved! Fish is back!

I was bored and had nothing better to do than play around with some numbers for cost verse PPD and the results are -

1st - RTX 2080 Ti

2nd - RTX 2060

3rd - RTX 2080 and RTX 2070 Super

4th - RTX 2070

5th - RTX 2080 Super

compare gpus.jpg

22 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Guys I hopefully will be getting back to your PMs later today.

I just got clipped by a car on my way back from the supermarket on my bike so if I don't get back to you please be understanding of the fact.  

EDIT: I'm okay for the most part, hurt my wrist and shaken up, but I'm okay, just thought I'd add this so everyone doesnt need to ask!

Sorry to hear that, @GOTSpectrum, sounds like a pretty scary experience. Glad you're okay though. :)

20 hours ago, yaboistar said:

as someone CPU folding on a 3600 - undervolt it and you'll see the most difference. i run 4.2 on an undervolt and get about 150kppd. it's pitiful compared to the GPU units but it's also the only way those WU's get done and Zen2 is the only architecture i have that is efficient enough to do it without making my cooler(s) ramp all the way up to the damn moon

You get 4.2Ghz all core on your 3600? And an undervolt, to boot?

Wow. The most I've ever seen is 4Ghz, on idle, when I was overclocking. Even PBO on a one core load doesn't get me past 3.9. For the most part, the highest it goes is 3.7Ghz all-core, because the thermals(I have the Wraith Stealth) are so poor. And that only gets ~90k PPD.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

Just cooking dinner then after its in my stomach I'll get round to distributing the prizes. 

As always thank you for your understanding here!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I have now replied to all current outstanding messages regarding prizes!

Thanks again for everyone getting involved, you are all beautiful people!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 hours ago, rkv_2401 said:

You get 4.2Ghz all core on your 3600? And an undervolt, to boot?

Wow. The most I've ever seen is 4Ghz, on idle, when I was overclocking. Even PBO on a one core load doesn't get me past 3.9. For the most part, the highest it goes is 3.7Ghz all-core, because the thermals(I have the Wraith Stealth) are so poor. And that only gets ~90k PPD.

I am using my 3600 at 4.35 GHz at 1.29v with a -0.100v. At max load its staying at around 1.25v. It doesn't get past 80c with F@H running

Desktop:RM650X, x570 Gaming Plus, Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler Master ML240L CPU cooler, Sapphire Pulse RX5700, 2x8 G.Skill Ripjaws V, NvME Intel 660p 1TB and Seagate 2 TB 7200RPM, Cooler Master MB530P case, ASUS VG278 27'' 1080p Monitor 165Hz 

Folding Stats

8 hours ago, marknd59 said:

I was bored and had nothing better to do than play around with some numbers for cost verse PPD and the results are -

1st - RTX 2080 Ti

2nd - RTX 2060

3rd - RTX 2080 and RTX 2070 Super

4th - RTX 2070

5th - RTX 2080 Super

compare gpus.jpg

This confirms my argument to my wife that an additional 2080ti SLI rig would be the most reasonable and efficient way to go.  Thank you for backing my argument, I will be sending her this chart and letting her know the power bill and our wallets will, eventually, thank us

@gmouz @yaboistar That confirms a suspicion I've always had.

I read that limiting the PPT power draw is the way to get the most efficiency out of these processors, at least the lower spectrum of power draw. And even though I did believe it, I just felt there had to be a parallel between the voltage curve of Pascal cards(Which you can also undervolt or set a power limit on, or do both) and the PB algorithm of these Ryzen chips. A quick change in Ryzen master confirms this, I can set 1.00V at 3.6Ghz as opposed to the 1.05V at 3.5Ghz that setting a restrictive PPT limit got me. 

Now, to see how low I can go...

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

Ethical question:

So I've had every spare computer I have folding for the last two months (265w combined TDP). But, now that summer is here, the apartment is starting to get a bit toasty and I'm starting to eye turning on the aircon. However, the environmentalist in me says "Don't turn the aircon on until you've turned off the folding machines to reduce the heat in your apartment!"

So the question is: leave the folding machines going and turn on the aircon or turn off the folding machines and leave the aircon off. One of better for the environment and the other is better for humanity.

Which is the more ethical choice?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

11 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Ethical question:

So I've had every spare computer I have folding for the last two months (265w combined TDP). But, now that summer is here, the apartment is starting to get a bit toasty and I'm starting to eye turning on the aircon. However, the environmentalist in me says "Don't turn the aircon on until you've turned off the folding machines to reduce the heat in your apartment!"

So the question is: leave the folding machines going and turn on the aircon or turn off the folding machines and leave the aircon off. One of better for the environment and the other is better for humanity.

Which is the more ethical choice?

You should take option 3. Leave the folding machines going don't turn on the A/C and learn to live with the heat. Make the sacrifice for the environment and give up some of lifes little comforts lots of people live without A/C.

6 hours ago, Zberg said:

This confirms my argument to my wife that an additional 2080ti SLI rig would be the most reasonable and efficient way to go.  Thank you for backing my argument, I will be sending her this chart and letting her know the power bill and our wallets will, eventually, thank us

Show her this one instead. No annaul costs or overall cost of ownership makes it look even better.

compare gpus-02.jpg

Looks like EOC is a bit drunk these days...

Clipboard01.png.6fd2bb2f6359f1e505dd3e8ec79b7478.pngfah.png.555b145a388a633194f3b4392d463e20.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

so am taking a break for a bit on folding.

1 machine is a old fx and a gpu. doing its thing.

atm am working on a mining mobo and doing multi gpu set up.

testing etc will take a month or so. also need to figure out power draw. per month,

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

5 hours ago, marknd59 said:

Show her this one instead. No annaul costs or overall cost of ownership makes it look even better.

compare gpus-02.jpg

I will say I dont get that ppd on my cards.  One tends to sit in the 2.5-3 zone....my 24/7 card currently running (other is off resting):

image.png.b03964c9621346a0bc05c940c4065bac.png

The other a little higher, often 3.0-3.2.  Combined I can usually rely on them to get 5.5-6.0m when they arent getting hammered with moonshot WU's.  But the two have never managed to get 7m ppd combined.

Silicon lottery i guess!

4 hours ago, Zberg said:

I will say I dont get that ppd on my cards.  One tends to sit in the 2.5-3 zone....my 24/7 card currently running (other is off resting):

image.png.b03964c9621346a0bc05c940c4065bac.png

The other a little higher, often 3.0-3.2.  Combined I can usually rely on them to get 5.5-6.0m when they arent getting hammered with moonshot WU's.  But the two have never managed to get 7m ppd combined.

Silicon lottery i guess!

Not just silicon... Those WUs seem to be broken right now. My 380x (I use it for reference mainly as it is the card I had longest which has been mining 24/7 for past 2 years) was getting around 200k PPD 2 years ago if I remember correctly, then from that point it just kept rising, up to 400k at one point this year, and then these WUs hit in late May / early June, I hardly get 100k PPD on some. 

Just a note: OC is default on that card and has never really been changed. Ambient is even lower than it was few weeks/months ago and card was recently cleaned and runs around 15C cooler due to new thermal paste. So that rules out OC and temp limits. Only thing left is F@H PPD calculation bugs which I hope they will sort ASAP.

Also check this useful chart:
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/aggregate_summary.php?s=

Sort it by WU weekly and then sort it by PPD weekly, notice that weird jump and then hard dip? That couldn't have been only people stopping GPUs and adding CPUs, that is a nice little red flag that they are tinkering PPD a lot recently (past 2-3 months) and it was too good for some time, while now it is getting worse and worse by each day.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

On 6/13/2020 at 1:49 PM, Kilrah said:

I'd absolutely love a TR SFF build :D

But unfortunately that's still going to be massive in comparison to my current 4.7L build, and since I would not be able to carry it while traveling anymore it kinda makes no sense for me to go ahead with it... :( 

I've decided to refocus the TR build into something a bit more reasonable. This case isn't going to be 3D printed, beyond some mounts and aesthetic doodads. But I think I've refined the design into something workable. Still have a lot of work to do but I should be able to at least finish the case before the contract here is finished.

Plan is now for a Ryzen 9 3950X, two water cooled 2080 Supers, and a pretty crazy custom loop including 2 240mm rads. I worked for a plumbing contractor for a summer so I'm pretty confident I can pull off the frame and reservoir. The final outer dimensions will be 420mm x 450mm x 200mm. I'm still messing around with the loop layout and some final structural work. I want to keep it easy to fill/drain and keep it well ventilated.

I'll be doing a build log for somewhere else on the forum if anyone's interested.

CopperCase.png