Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

18 hours ago, palespartan said:

Those will definitely do nicely. And if we are all flexing our gpu power I will be folding on what now seems like a measly 1080ti, 2x970 and (if i can find it) a 660.

how many PPD does a 1080 and 1080ti do currently?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 12/03/2018 at 11:06 PM, lieder1987 said:

I just started to Fold and submitted my first 21 WU request, but have not received any response.

I am finding it fascinating, and I hope that we can get the team back ojn track.

Sorry about that, I've been a bit busy over the last few weeks. Your badge has been updated now. :)

6 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@iamdarkyoshi Is there anyway we could create a badge for those that take part in the event. Like you have to fold a certain number of WUs in the 7 days t get the badge? 

EDIT, I dont mind designing the badge to make it easier on you guys if that helps. @palespartan

I'm afraid not, at least this time around. If the event continues again next year though it's definitely something I'd like to do.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

On 3/14/2018 at 7:20 AM, Ben Quigley said:

@iamdarkyoshi Is there anyway we could create a badge for those that take part in the event. Like you have to fold a certain number of WUs in the 7 days t get the badge? 

EDIT, I dont mind designing the badge to make it easier on you guys if that helps. 

@palespartan Do you know if a 1030 is worth getting to fold with. I have like £100 frm mining that I can blow and a single slot wide x16 free on my mobo. 

Unfortunately since this is the first time we are trying to do anything like this its really unlikely that we would be able to do a badge or anything like that this time around but if we can make this big enough to become a yearly thing then I wouldn't put it out of the question to have prizes like badges or things like that (especially if down the line we can get the LTT crew involved). 

As for the 1030 I'm pretty sure that is the most powerful gpu you can get right now for 100 and the rule of thumb in F@H (unlike mining) is that every little bit helps but if that money could benefit you in another way you don't have to spend money on this the idea behind it was for hardware that anyone had laying around but if you wanted there would definitely be no complaints about you adding to the cause.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:51 AM, bcredeur97 said:

how many PPD does a 1080 and 1080ti do currently?

I don't know about the 1080 but my 1080ti with a passkey does 1.1m and without the passkey was doing 110k. My 970s before passkey (haven't run them since i got a passkey yet) did around 55k. I remember raw performance benchmarks of 1080 when it launched being slightly faster than perfect 970 sli so I'd imagine it would be a bit more than double the 970.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

9 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Unfortunately since this is the first time we are trying to do anything like this its really unlikely that we would be able to do a badge or anything like that this time around but if we can make this big enough to become a yearly thing then I wouldn't put it out of the question to have prizes like badges or things like that (especially if down the line we can get the LTT crew involved). 

As for the 1030 I'm pretty sure that is the most powerful gpu you can get right now for 100 and the rule of thumb in F@H (unlike mining) is that every little bit helps but if that money could benefit you in another way you don't have to spend money on this the idea behind it was for hardware that anyone had laying around but if you wanted there would definitely be no complaints about you adding to the cause.

I don't know about the 1080 but my 1080ti with a passkey does 1.1m and without the passkey was doing 110k. My 970s before passkey (haven't run them since i got a passkey yet) did around 55k. I remember raw performance benchmarks of 1080 when it launched being slightly faster than perfect 970 sli so I'd imagine it would be a bit more than double the 970.

a 1080 is only about 25% less powerful than a 1080ti I believe. So it should be more than that... like 750k huh?

it doesnt make sense to me for a 1080 to run at 110k but a 1080ti to run at 1.1 million.

but you also did say without a passkey so maybe what im saying is right

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

a 1080 is only about 25% less powerful than a 1080ti I believe. So it should be more than that... like 750k huh?

it doesnt make sense to me for a 1080 to run at 110k but a 1080ti to run at 1.1 million.

but you also did say without a passkey so maybe what im saying is right

Yeah before I got the passkey the 1080ti was only about 110k so I imagine with passkey that the 1080 should be able to do 750k.

Folding Community Board:

2 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Yeah before I got the passkey the 1080ti was only about 110k so I imagine with passkey that the 1080 should be able to do 750k.

in that case... i know someone capable of doing ~14,600,000 PPD right now. wow. that's like half our folding team lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

in that case... i know someone capable of doing ~14,600,000 PPD right now. wow. that's like half our folding team lol

Keep in mind that folding does use pci bandwidth pretty heavily (that's why even not folding on the cpu your cpu usage will ramp up) So even though that will be an amazing amount of folding power either way! I mean just in 7 day could pass most of the group. 

Folding Community Board:

4 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Tbh Im just hoping to break the 200 rank barrier that has been plaguing me.

Also I'm not a stranger to distributed computing, I have been a on off supporter of SETI@home since i was 9 years old. So I'm fully aware of the difference to mining.  Im just wanted to smash it out the park, I have decided I'm going to throw my VEGA in the mix anyway. 

so, GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980ti, vega 64... maybe a gt 1030 or a GTX 1050, maybe a 960 if I can find it. oh and my r7 1700. all folding around 20 hours a day, can I get better than rank 200 in a week? 

also how do QRBs work now? 

P.S. would be nice too have this pinned until the event is over. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Tbh Im just hoping to break the 200 rank barrier that has been plaguing me.

Also I'm not a stranger to distributed computing, I have been a on off supporter of SETI@home since i was 9 years old. So I'm fully aware of the difference to mining.  Im just wanted to smash it out the park, I have decided I'm going to throw my VEGA in the mix anyway. 

so, GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980ti, vega 64... maybe a gt 1030 or a GTX 1050, maybe a 960 if I can find it. oh and my r7 1700. all folding around 20 hours a day, can I get better than rank 200 in a week? 

also how do QRBs work now? 

P.S. would be nice too have this pinned until the event is over. 

Yeah I'd say with that setup you should easily be able to break 200 really quickly. And would definitely be nice to have this pinned if that's possible @Whiskers 

Also what do you mean by QRBs?

Folding Community Board:

58 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Yeah I'd say with that setup you should easily be able to break 200 really quickly. And would definitely be nice to have this pinned if that's possible @Whiskers 

Also what do you mean by QRBs?

Quick Return Bonus

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I joined a couple of days ago when I installed F@H on my game server. It was running 24/7 anyway so I figured I would offer up a bit of computing power to it. It looks like it's getting about 47k PPD. I limited the CPU folding since I need it to do other things, but the GPU is free to use up the rest of its resources (after the DCS server has its share).

I'm using a Xeon 2620 and a GTX 750. I don't really have any other hardware to add but if I can find some other cards I will try to add them.

Earlier I added an ancient computer I had lying around, it has not GPU now but is doing the CPU at a blistering... 4K PPD.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Quick Return Bonus

Oh in that case they work as stated longer it takes you to complete a wu the less bonus you get but that probably isn't as specific as you were looking for. For my 1080ti alone if I don't interrupt a wu it seems to give me about 10x the base credit most of the time.

22 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I joined a couple of days ago when I installed F@H on my game server. It was running 24/7 anyway so I figured I would offer up a bit of computing power to it. It looks like it's getting about 47k PPD. I limited the CPU folding since I need it to do other things, but the GPU is free to use up the rest of its resources (after the DCS server has its share).

I'm using a Xeon 2620 and a GTX 750. I don't really have any other hardware to add but if I can find some other cards I will try to add them.

Earlier I added an ancient computer I had lying around, it has not GPU now but is doing the CPU at a blistering... 4K PPD.

That is awesome. And yeah believe it or not every bit helps. Whatever compute power you can find throw it into the mix. Hell if it didn't make so much noise that I couldn't sleep at night I would be doing it on my laptop for the week too. lol.

Folding Community Board:

2 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Oh in that case they work as stated longer it takes you to complete a wu the less bonus you get but that probably isn't as specific as you were looking for. For my 1080ti alone if I don't interrupt a wu it seems to give me about 10x the base credit most of the time.

That is awesome. And yeah believe it or not every bit helps. Whatever compute power you can find throw it into the mix. Hell if it didn't make so much noise that I couldn't sleep at night I would be doing it on my laptop for the week too. lol.

Cant you just leave your laptop in the other room? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

Cant you just leave your laptop in the other room? 

Normally I would consider it but I work it and sometimes have to even wake up in the middle of the night to work so it just easier to have it next to me basically at all times. But if I go out like on the weekend without it I will definitely have it folding too.

Folding Community Board:

I pulled out some hardware from my mining rigs while doing some cleaning, left the AMD rigs alone and pulled 1 GPU out of each mining rig for Nvidia, I have a few bare systems laying around so i'll probably toss in 2 cards per system. Current stack is a 1080ti, 1070,1050ti,1060,970,780ti,770 that are currently all being put into systems for folding for a week.  Depending on how the weekend goes, i'll start messing around with software gettting the folding stuff setup. 

@palespartan just so you know, a VEGA 64 running at close to its full boost seems to be getting around 650k-700k PPD. So a little over half a 1080ti when it's gaming performance is around a 1080 and its got a slightly higher compute performance (Tflops) than a 1080ti.

I guess that's what CUDA optimization does.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

I pulled out some hardware from my mining rigs while doing some cleaning, left the AMD rigs alone and pulled 1 GPU out of each mining rig for Nvidia, I have a few bare systems laying around so i'll probably toss in 2 cards per system. Current stack is a 1080ti, 1070,1050ti,1060,970,780ti,770 that are currently all being put into systems for folding for a week.  Depending on how the weekend goes, i'll start messing around with software gettting the folding stuff setup. 

That is a hell of a lot of power right there. You will probably be carrying the rest of us with this one. Lol.

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

@palespartan just so you know, a VEGA 64 running at close to its full boost seems to be getting around 650k-700k PPD. So a little over half a 1080ti when it's gaming performance is around a 1080 and its got a slightly higher compute performance (Tflops) than a 1080ti.

I guess that's what CUDA optimization does.

And yeah if it was other kinds of compute tasks the VEGA 64 would be able to keep on par with something like the titan XP even. But that CUDA development just buries it.

Folding Community Board:

Count me in !
I will most likely only have the cpu avalable.
but it will be 24/7

EDIT : AND TECHNICALLY A P260 GPU

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

4 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Count me in !
I will most likely only have the cpu avalable.
but it will be 24/7

That's awesome the more the merrier! Whatever you can provide to help the cause is definitely appreciated. 

I also just noticed we got pinned! Thank you which ever one of you did it for us. @Whiskers @iamdarkyoshi or whomever else it was.

Folding Community Board:

39 minutes ago, palespartan said:

That is a hell of a lot of power right there. You will probably be carrying the rest of us with this one. Lol.

And yeah if it was other kinds of compute tasks the VEGA 64 would be able to keep on par with something like the titan XP even. But that CUDA development just buries it.

yay! my idea worked, were pinned. 

so i took my two riser gpus out my main rig and now my vega is giving me this error, 

22:34:15:WU04:FS01:0x21:ERROR:NaNs detected in forces. 0 0

No idea what to do at all.

@Whiskers you any idea? 

@givingtnt was it I that convinced you? 

EDIT: with just the VEGA it didn't work, with all four GPUs in it works fine. I tried Vega and one gtx card, nope. But when I at the two other cards, it works fine. I even reinstalled F@H.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 16/03/2018 at 10:37 PM, Ben Quigley said:

yay! my idea worked, were pinned. 

so i took my two riser gpus out my main rig and now my vega is giving me this error, 

22:34:15:WU04:FS01:0x21:ERROR:NaNs detected in forces. 0 0

No idea what to do at all.

@Whiskers you any idea? 

@givingtnt was it I that convinced you? 

EDIT: with just the VEGA it didn't work, with all four GPUs in it works fine. I tried Vega and one gtx card, nope. But when I at the two other cards, it works fine. I even reinstalled F@H.

I've no experience of folding with AMD cards I'm afraid, I've only ever used NVIDIA so I have no idea what to suggest. Bit bizarre that it works when more GPUs are connected but not by itself or with one other, though.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

9 hours ago, Whiskers said:

I've no experience of folding with AMD cards I'm afraid, I've only ever used NVIDIA so I have no idea what to suggest. Bit bizarre that it works when more GPUs are connected but not by itself or with one other, though.

My thinking exactly, Im going to wait till after folding week and nuke the drive. PS guess who just hit rank 199!!! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I've never tried folding before, but I have used BOINC in the past. I have now installed F@H, on both my desktop (i7-7700k GTX1080) and my laptop (i7-7700HQ GTX1070) and I'm now definitely ready for a folding week. 

On 3/6/2018 at 3:28 AM, palespartan said:

Soft date for now is last week in March: March 26th through April 1st.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to make this a contest. I think it's already been mentioned that badges will not be awarded this time around, but perhaps it would still be fun to get a list of all participants and rank them based on amount contributed just during folding week.

The team page seems to have alot of contributors that made alot of points and then stopped folding. Perhaps this is a way to cut through that noise and figure out who is still contributing.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 3/18/2018 at 1:14 PM, Ben Quigley said:

My thinking exactly, Im going to wait till after folding week and nuke the drive. PS guess who just hit rank 199!!! 

You're coming for me although I'm stoked since I'm about to break into the top 100! (118 currently)

22 hours ago, Lockram said:

I've never tried folding before, but I have used BOINC in the past. I have now installed F@H, on both my desktop (i7-7700k GTX1080) and my laptop (i7-7700HQ GTX1070) and I'm now definitely ready for a folding week. 

Awesome. Not sure what laptop you're running but definitely check the thermals of your 7700hq when folding. On my aw13 r3 it shot up to 90 almost instantly and stayed there so I decided to just gpu fold on my laptop when I do. But if you have any setup questions or just general questions everyone here is really helpful and one of us will happily help you out.

2 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I'm wondering if it would be possible to make this a contest. I think it's already been mentioned that badges will not be awarded this time around, but perhaps it would still be fun to get a list of all participants and rank them based on amount contributed just during folding week.

The team page seems to have alot of contributors that made alot of points and then stopped folding. Perhaps this is a way to cut through that noise and figure out who is still contributing.

I see what I could do but will need some sort of head count as to who is actually in. If I can get everyone's forum name and folding name I might make like a google doc spreadsheet or something. Worst case scenario I might have people just track their own points and it would be cool to see who contributed what but as to not  discourage the little guys out there who maybe only have a single gaming tower or something to fold on I don't know if I want to advertise this as a competition so much as an event. The overall goal for me isn't the personal progress but to get the team into the top 10 one day... Its a good idea though and I don't mind doing the doc so long as everyone posts their folding name for me.

Folding Community Board: