Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

On 6/7/2018 at 1:52 PM, Ithanul said:

Just don't except flashy lights and all that jazz.  I'm sick enough of seeing all the RGB rave show lights in Computex pictures.

It is sad when the few things that got my attention where wood style water blocks, some Ducky keyboards, and the NUCs.

Those Noctua's desk fan dilly was a bit odd though.  o.O

If about past job and current job life info, I rather not post most of that on the forum.  I can't even really tell fully what my current job is to folks any way.  Most I say, I mess with a Linux system in a building with no windows.

Oh I'm not worried about any of that kind of stuff mostly just want to see the monster numbers it produces. And definitely understandable to not want too much of your information out there.

As for me though I'm 25 live in the east bay of the San Francisco bay area. I currently work as an IT technician (consulting so many different clients all over the greater bay area.) Other than that I'm a huge basketball fan. and my hobbies are working on/modding cars and bikes. Oh and I guess computers too.

P.S. weather here is kinda nice.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

This is getting ridiculous for temps in Britain... 

DSC_0222~2.JPG

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

This is getting ridiculous for temps in Britain... 

DSC_0222~2.JPG

Ah, nice and toasty.  :P

3 hours ago, palespartan said:

Oh I'm not worried about any of that kind of stuff mostly just want to see the monster numbers it produces. And definitely understandable to not want too much of your information out there.

P.S. weather here is kinda nice.

Ah, San Fran.  I was stationed up in Travis AFB for about six years.  The weather is nice out that way, especially for motorcycle driving.

Well, the deal is I can chat up a bit about my previous career field a bit, but the IT field in the military is a way different kettle of fish.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

49 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Ah, San Fran.  I was stationed up in Travis AFB for about six years.  The weather is nice out that way, especially for motorcycle driving.

Well, the deal is I can chat up a bit about my previous career field a bit, but the IT field in the military is a way different kettle of fish.

A little too toasty for dumping 1800watts into my bedroom. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Whats AFB? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

22 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

A little too toasty for dumping 1800watts into my bedroom. 

No doubt.  I think max I ever went out on crunching with high heat inside was 90F inside with a 5960X and two BIOS modded GTX980Tis.  Sauna level heat indeed.

9 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Whats AFB? 

Air Force Base

Travis AFB is roughly between San Fran and Sacramento in distance.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

No doubt.  I think max I ever went out on crunching with high heat inside was 90F inside with a 5960X and two BIOS modded GTX980Tis.  Sauna level heat indeed.

Air Force Base

Ahh, we call ours RAF followed by the name of the location of the station. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 6/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, Ithanul said:

Yeah from what I've heard from a few friends I've had in various branches it is definitely a different animal. Still really cool though.

On 6/12/2018 at 1:05 PM, Ithanul said:

Air Force Base

Yeah I actually killed one of my 970 g1 gaming cards by running it with bios mod on a really hot day (bios was modded to deliver 1.28v all times... on air...) and Gigabyte actually warrantied it since they couldn't (or didn't care to) prove that I bios modded it. lol

On 6/12/2018 at 1:09 PM, Ben Quigley said:

Ahh, we call ours RAF followed by the name of the location of the station. 

Yeah basically the same thing except our bases are usually big enough to warrant being their own location, that's why we don't usually say what city they're in since they kinda qualify as their own city.

Folding Community Board:

Well guys, I have pulled two GPUs out of action for an experiment, trying to work out just how much of an impact the limited bandwidth was having on the system as three cards were running on 1x PCIE. 

So now I have two CPUs and two GPUs folding for the time being. 

Early stats show a 10% decrease of PPD... not bad for half the cards. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

23 hours ago, palespartan said:

Yeah I actually killed one of my 970 g1 gaming cards by running it with bios mod on a really hot day (bios was modded to deliver 1.28v all times... on air...) and Gigabyte actually warrantied it since they couldn't (or didn't care to) prove that I bios modded it. lo

Can't remember exact, but running around at that voltage was best to water cool Maxwell cards.  I had my previous GTX980Tis under water at locked in voltage with the boost disabled.  Both ref cards that could OC around 1540-1570MHz range.

Really wish Pascal encryption be broken so BIOS modding can occur again.  I so want to disable the stupid boost mode.

23 hours ago, palespartan said:

Yeah basically the same thing except our bases are usually big enough to warrant being their own location, that's why we don't usually say what city they're in since they kinda qualify as their own city.

Yep, there some bases that are pretty much cities or close to it.  The one I am near, Tyndall AFB, owns a good chunk of the coastal land here that flanks both sides of Hwy 98.  Travis AFB is fairly darn big since it is the AMC base that houses the three heavies: C-5, C-17, and KC-10.  Tyndall AFB houses fighters and drones, so I get to see F-22 and F-35 and some small drones flying about each day.  Camp Pendleton in South Cali covers a good chunk as well.  Though, there most likely bases larger than those.  I think Beale AFB in North Cali is a massive base by what I hear from individuals that where stationed there.  Mostly likely since it is home to one of the Reconnaissance Wings and is a Combat Command base.

Interesting note about Travis AFB, the one I was stationed to for six years.  It prides itself in its humanitarian airlift missions.  I was there when the nuclear plant in Japan occurred.  The whole base was busy for a few days assisting folks coming in on aircraft from that region.  I can't forgot Haiti either.  Everyone on 12 hrs plus shifts so we could get all the heavies out to assist.  Talk about something eerier when there are barely any aircraft on a flight line.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, Ben Quigley said:

Well guys, I have pulled two GPUs out of action for an experiment, trying to work out just how much of an impact the limited bandwidth was having on the system as three cards were running on 1x PCIE. 

So now I have two CPUs and two GPUs folding for the time being. 

Early stats show a 10% decrease of PPD... not bad for half the cards. 

Definitely not bad at all. What were the cards though?

On 6/15/2018 at 5:07 PM, Ithanul said:

Can't remember exact, but running around at that voltage was best to water cool Maxwell cards.  I had my previous GTX980Tis under water at locked in voltage with the boost disabled.  Both ref cards that could OC around 1540-1570MHz range.

Really wish Pascal encryption be broken so BIOS modding can occur again.  I so want to disable the stupid boost mode.

Yep, there some bases that are pretty much cities or close to it.  The one I am near, Tyndall AFB, owns a good chunk of the coastal land here that flanks both sides of Hwy 98.  Travis AFB is fairly darn big since it is the AMC base that houses the three heavies: C-5, C-17, and KC-10.  Tyndall AFB houses fighters and drones, so I get to see F-22 and F-35 and some small drones flying about each day.  Camp Pendleton in South Cali covers a good chunk as well.  Though, there most likely bases larger than those.  I think Beale AFB in North Cali is a massive base by what I hear from individuals that where stationed there.  Mostly likely since it is home to one of the Reconnaissance Wings and is a Combat Command base.

Interesting note about Travis AFB, the one I was stationed to for six years.  It prides itself in its humanitarian airlift missions.  I was there when the nuclear plant in Japan occurred.  The whole base was busy for a few days assisting folks coming in on aircraft from that region.  I can't forgot Haiti either.  Everyone on 12 hrs plus shifts so we could get all the heavies out to assist.  Talk about something eerier when there are barely any aircraft on a flight line.

Yeah I got my 970s to a perfectly stable 1530ish for folding. Was able to bench and game in the 1570 range though and one time I was actually able to bench one on its own at 1600 but couldn't get the other one stable no matter what I did.

And that's actually really cool I didn't realize Travis was a leader in humanitarian missions.

Folding Community Board:

2 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Definitely not bad at all. What were the cards though?

I have left a vega 64 and a 980ti, taken out a 980 and a 970.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya :-)

132712_20180330_130128.jpg

Currently have these GPU's and CPU's running Boinc projects:

(2) GTX 980 Ti's (1 K|ngP|n, 1 Classi)

(1) GTX 780
(1) GTX 960 (4GB)
(1) GTX 950
(1) GTX 1050 (4GB) *intermittently*

(1) i7-6850k (@ 4.2)
(1) i7-7700
(1) i5-7300qs *intermittently*

The PPD is pretty darn good for GPU accelerated projects.
I recently acquired an E5-2683 v3 and need a C612 mobo to run it, if anyone has a reasonably priced on, please let me know.

9 hours ago, The_CHillidog said:

(1) GTX 780
(1) GTX 960 (4GB)
(1) GTX 950

(1) i7-6850k (@ 4.2)
(1) i7-7700

I recently acquired an E5-2683 v3 and need a C612 mobo to run it, if anyone has a reasonably priced on, please let me know.

Howdy, Welcome to the board, Please be aware this is a board aimed at Folding@Home, this is not a boinc project at all, But please, Feel free to throw a couple GPUs our way. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

18 hours ago, The_CHillidog said:

(1) GTX 780
(1) GTX 960 (4GB)
(1) GTX 950

(1) i7-6850k (@ 4.2)
(1) i7-7700

Welcome to the community.

8 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Howdy, Welcome to the board, Please be aware this is a board aimed at Folding@Home, this is not a boinc project at all, But please, Feel free to throw a couple GPUs our way. 

Like @Ben Quigley said it is aimed more at folding but we accept all kinds of distributed computing around here. Again though if you wanted to dedicate some resources to folding that would be awesome! What Boinc projects do you work on mostly?

Folding Community Board:

@palespartan sorry if I seemed like I was excluding the guy! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

@palespartan sorry if I seemed like I was excluding the guy! 

I didn't think you were just wanted to make sure he didn't think it. lol

Folding Community Board:

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

I didn't think you were just wanted to make sure he didn't think it. lol

Alright, good! How have you been anyway? Also how's the folding been going?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 10:19 AM, Ben Quigley said:

Alright, good! How have you been anyway? Also how's the folding been going?

Ive definitely hit my limits as to comfortable temperature I'm willing to deal with in my room so the gaming rig is now just folding at night. And I had to re-purpose my mining rig to HDD recovery for the time being so my folding is definitely limited at the moment. But that is expected in summer. The only sad part is I finally got overtaken by Random Australian which I guess makes sense since its winter down under. Probably going to announce folding month officially in about a month though. I'm definitely set on making it October since October is also national cancer awareness month.  How have things been on the other side of the pond?

Folding Community Board:

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2018 at 6:28 PM, palespartan said:

Ive definitely hit my limits as to comfortable temperature I'm willing to deal with in my room so the gaming rig is now just folding at night. And I had to re-purpose my mining rig to HDD recovery for the time being so my folding is definitely limited at the moment. But that is expected in summer. The only sad part is I finally got overtaken by Random Australian which I guess makes sense since its winter down under. Probably going to announce folding month officially in about a month though. I'm definitely set on making it October since October is also national cancer awareness month.  How have things been on the other side of the pond?

Sorry about this, I looked at the notification while drunk and must have forgotten about it. Folding is going well here, for the most part maintaining my current pace. On another note.... I'm going to be proposing to my partner today. She doesn't know this but I'm taking her to the little Cuban place we had our first date and well... I have a question for her. Wish me luck guys!

IMG_20180729_103603149.jpg

IMG_20180729_103539379.jpg

IMG_20180727_102230431_HDR.jpg

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Ah, congrats.

Since it is Summer here in Florida and my A/C is eating up electricity, my rigs are on standby until the temps outside go back down.  So far just letting indoor temps be at 80F so my electric bill don't go stupid high on me.

18 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Ah, congrats.

Since it is Summer here in Florida and my A/C is eating up electricity, my rigs are on standby until the temps outside go back down.  So far just letting indoor temps be at 80F so my electric bill don't go stupid high on me.

Thanks, she said yes btw guys, iM so happy. It seems this heatwave is hitting the team quite hard.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 7/29/2018 at 6:17 AM, Ben Quigley said:

Sorry about this, I looked at the notification while drunk and must have forgotten about it. Folding is going well here, for the most part maintaining my current pace. On another note.... I'm going to be proposing to my partner today. She doesn't know this but I'm taking her to the little Cuban place we had our first date and well... I have a question for her. Wish me luck guys!

IMG_20180729_103539379.jpg

IMG_20180727_102230431_HDR.jpg

9 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Thanks, she said yes btw guys, iM so happy. It seems this heatwave is hitting the team quite hard.

Congratulations man that is awesome! And yeah heatwave is definitely hitting the team hard but the Aussies seem to be stepping up and keeping our team production up.

19 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Ah, congrats.

I've been using this downtime to get back into the linux game (setting my old mining rig to be just folding on ubuntu) And definitely running into snags. Apparently FAHcontrol in ubuntu depends on python (as expected) but for some reason wont let me install and fix the python dependencies. @Ithanul this really didn't seem to be an issue when you did your FAH linux guide before any ideas on whats going on?

Folding Community Board:

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

Congratulations man that is awesome! And yeah heatwave is definitely hitting the team hard but the Aussies seem to be stepping up and keeping our team production up.

I've been using this downtime to get back into the linux game (setting my old mining rig to be just folding on ubuntu) And definitely running into snags. Apparently FAHcontrol in ubuntu depends on python (as expected) but for some reason wont let me install and fix the python dependencies. @Ithanul this really didn't seem to be an issue when you did your FAH linux guide before any ideas on whats going on?

Thanks man, At least from what I can tell we aint the only team being hit by this. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Thanks man, At least from what I can tell we aint the only team being hit by this. 

Yeah that is for sure. But it does look like there is a team currently with the potential for overtake in a bit over a year but its medic coin and I have a feeling with the state of crypto that the coin teams are going to start falling off.

And @Ithanul so not sure how but one of the many things I was trying to fill the python dependencies worked but now I am trying to run both the 970 and 670 off proprietary drivers and for some reason it wont run the 670 off of the 390.xx driver even though it is compatible. Any ideas on that one?

Folding Community Board: