Need some thoughts on cryorig coolers

adzygamer15
24 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

the 8600K is a hex core, so it get's pretty hot. 

You might also want to take a look at some of those  big dual-tower air coolers. I have the Phantecs TC-14PE and it works great for cooling an i7-5820K. 

So not even a h5 would be good? Or r1?

17 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

@CUDA_Cores has the right idea here, the Intel hex-cores are freaking hot as hell, you will need a twin-tower cooler for sure. Arctic Freezer Extreme would be the BARE MINIMUM to even think about over clocking. Twin fans and 140mm sized fans would be preferred but most 140mm fan-cooled heat sinks are massive. I would go ahead and choose a style of case and then get back to us, so then we can offer you a suggestion based on clearance.

When selecting a case for air cooling, do your BEST to avoid a tower with a Tempered Glass front panel, as these are notorious for choking off your intake air flow, and will ruin your chances at a good overclock without cooking your 8600K.

For your reference and convenience, I can tell you that I absolutely adore my Cougar Panzer Max for an air cooling build. Its massive and can support any CPU heat sink on the market today, then has 3X 140mm front intake support PLUS another 120mm bottom intake support so long as your PSU is short enough, then its got 3X 140 mm top exhaust support as well as 120mm rear exhaust support. This case is the undisputed Air Cooling KING. The only thing I don't like is that the side panel is acrylic rather than glass.

I do transport this leviathan to my friends houses and it is NOT convenient in any way, shape, or form. Loaded with hardware this case weighs 50 freaking pounds and has a massive footprint so its going to take up space.

If you want a small form factor for overclocking with convenience your only option will be to cool with water.

I would suggest that you pick a case with minimum of 2X 120mm or 140mm front intake fans to effectively get air to your heatsink. From there it is all up to you.

not even a r1 or h5??

Just now, Damascus said:

I actually only own 1 140mm fan, all the rest are 120s.  I'm pretty sure gentle typhoons don't come in 140mm anyways :P I think if I had one of my other favourite cases, the define R6 I'd be running 420 + 280 by my current case, the PC-O8 can't take 140mm.  8 120mm fan spots total but no 140's

Awww that sucks, what an oversight for such a gigantic case, although Lian Li was always more about their aesthetics than raw performance anyways. Try maximizing with a ridiculous EKWB PE 360 for the front and EKWB 240 for the top, thats about as good as you are going to get.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Just now, adzygamer15 said:

not even a r1 or h5??

The R1 is just about the best you could run, very few coolers are even as powerful as it, I was referring to all CPU air coolers in general. The Arctic Freezer Extreme is actually a much smaller 120mm twin tower air cooler with a single 120mm fan shoved right in the middle, while the R1 has dual 140mm fans plus the heat sinks are larger so it is rated at nearly DOUBLE the TDP.

The R1 will cool just about anything so I say go for it if your chosen case will accept it, remember that clearance is the BIGGEST issue with opting for giant twin 140mm towers, ur gonna need a really big case...

Current Build Thread:

Just now, WallacEngineering said:

EKWB 240

EKWB PE 360

REE Hardwarelabs is waaaay better.   I plan on swapping the PE360 for a 240mm HWL SR2, probably put a GTR or GTX on the top in the main chamber, maaaybe add a GTS 120 in there as well

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

Lian Li was always more about their aesthetics than raw performance

Yep, that just about sums it up. 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

REE Hardwarelabs is waaaay better.   I plan on swapping the PE360 for a 240mm HWL SR2, probably put a GTR or GTX on the top in the main chamber, maaaybe add a GTS 120 in there as well

Really, Im gonna have to check them out because I may do a Cougar Conquer or similar build in 2020-2021 with Zen 3 Architecture. I always though EKWB's rads were the best on the market.

Current Build Thread:

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Holy cow how do I choose??? Lol they have black ice, gtx, gts, extreme, extreme ii, another extreme? Please tell me someone has reviewed these Radiators side-by-side somewhere...

Current Build Thread:

Just now, WallacEngineering said:

I always though EKWB's rads were the best on the market.

If you look at raw performance, the XE lineup is very good.  It's also really expensive 60mm and requires very high-speed fans.  The SR2 (60mm) lineup can put out similar performance but it uses ultra slow (550~ rpm) fans, meaning it's a hell of a lot quieter.  The cheaper GTR/GTX (55mm) just do really well without any particular weaknesses at pretty much whatever fan speed (designed for moderate to high speed)

The PE lineup is great, 45mm and wallet fiendly but requires high-speed fans and is beaten by hardwarelabs' 30mm GTS lineup in both performance, form factor and price.

The EK SE is trash.  No one should buy them and their performance is nearly doubled by the 27mm Magicool slim

Just now, Damascus said:

If you look at raw performance, the XE lineup is very good.  It's also really expensive 60mm and requires very high-speed fans.  The SR2 (60mm) lineup can put out similar performance but it uses ultra slow (550~ rpm) fans, meaning it's a hell of a lot quieter.  The cheaper GTR/GTX (55mm) just do really well without any particular weaknesses at pretty much whatever fan speed (designed for moderate to high speed)

The PE lineup is great, 45mm and wallet fiendly but requires high-speed fans and is beaten by hardwarelabs' 30mm GTS lineup in both performance, form factor and price.

The EK SE is trash.  No one should buy them and their performance is nearly doubled by the 27mm Magicool slim

Ya I always figured the EKWB slims weren't that good, their own custom loop configuration tool basically told me that the SE's in a cougar conquer would not be enough to cool an overclocked Ryzen 7 1800X, showing a 100+ C estimated water temperature. 

Current Build Thread:

20 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

The R1 is just about the best you could run, very few coolers are even as powerful as it, I was referring to all CPU air coolers in general. The Arctic Freezer Extreme is actually a much smaller 120mm twin tower air cooler with a single 120mm fan shoved right in the middle, while the R1 has dual 140mm fans plus the heat sinks are larger so it is rated at nearly DOUBLE the TDP.

The R1 will cool just about anything so I say go for it if your chosen case will accept it, remember that clearance is the BIGGEST issue with opting for giant twin 140mm towers, ur gonna need a really big case...

can you recommend some good cases that would fit the r1 and have good air flow. so would the h5 not cool it enough?

53 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

So not even a h5 would be good? Or r1?

Any of the coolers mentioned in the thread would be enough for cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

24 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

can you recommend some good cases that would fit the r1 and have good air flow. so would the h5 not cool it enough?

I think the H5 would do okay but you will need to upgrade the fan for sure. With the H5 being a 120mm cooler, you will want the Phanteks PH-F120MP or something similar. It MUST be optimized for static pressure to push the air through the cooler effectively.

If you want to OC to the absolute max on such a hot chip, then the R1 or other giant twin 140mm tower is your only option.

As I said, the Cougar Panzer Max is the undisputed cooling king and is recommended if you choose to go with the R1 because of the R1's gigantic size. I mean this case and CPU cooler combined can support up to 1360mm worth of fans OR radiators. Its absolutely RIDICULOUS.

Give me some time and I will come up with a list of decent air cooling cases for you. Would you prefer the larger R1 or the more flexible H5?

EDIT: HINT: R1 = Full Tower Case or Large Mid Tower, build will be more expensive. H5 = More compatibility and convenience and will fit in nearly ALL Mid Tower Cases and will make for a cheaper build but CPU may overheat and throttle if pushed to absolute maximum over clocks.

HINT 2: R1 portability will be minimal, it will be a pain and you will wish you had done a smaller build if you plan to move your system regularly. H5 still isn't totally portable but most mid-towers aren't too much of a chore to transport.

Panzer Max cooling layout: 

Fans: https://cougargaming.com/global/img/products/cases/panzermax/product-section-01-5.png

Radiators: https://cougargaming.com/global/img/products/cases/panzermax/product-section-01-4.png

Current Build Thread:

@WallacEngineering@WoodenMarker@Damascus@ZM Fong@Mooshi@CUDA_Cores okay so for everyone that's helped and etc. i think i will go with the Cryorig H5 Ultimate CPU Cooler considering that will cool my CPU and still be okay for minor overclocking. I'm honestly just going to be pushing it a little bit and not to 5 GHz so it will be fine. Also what fan do I replace the H5 with to get better performance? I am just gonna need some help with still a cheap case that still has good airflow! I was looking at the Fractal Design Focus G Case but if i need to I can get rid of my optical drive and get an external if I really have to. I just need a case that will keep my GPU and all of my other components cool and it hopefully will still be have a bit of cheapness and looks alright xD I live in Australia so feel free to browse on https://au.pcpartpicker.com/ for any cases that would suite my build. I will link my final specs below (without the case because I still need that xD) thank you everyone that's helped 

Final Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/adzygamer15/saved/g8qf8d

EDIT: I just realised i can't use the H5, ram is too tall AGHHH

1 minute ago, adzygamer15 said:

@WallacEngineering@WoodenMarker@Damascus@ZM Fong@Mooshi@CUDA_Cores okay so for everyone that's helped and etc. i think i will go with the Cryorig H5 Ultimate CPU Cooler considering that will cool my CPU and still be okay for minor overclocking. I'm honestly just going to be pushing it a little bit and not to 5 GHz so it will be fine. Also what fan do I replace the H5 with to get better performance? I am just gonna need some help with still a cheap case that still has good airflow! I was looking at the Fractal Design Focus G Case but if i need to I can get rid of my optical drive and get an external if I really have to. I just need a case that will keep my GPU and all of my other components cool and it hopefully will still be have a bit of cheapness and it will look alright xD I live in Australia so feel free to browse on https://au.pcpartpicker.com/ for any cases that would suite my build. I will link my final specs below (without the case because I still need that xD) thank you everyone that's helped 

Final Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/adzygamer15/saved/g8qf8d

Edit: I did not mean to quote myself!!!! 

9 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

Edit: I did not mean to quote myself!!!! 

If you want a really stylish and yet inexpensive case to go with that H5 that also promotes good airflow then have a look at the In Win 101. Very good airflow case for the price, and comes with Tempered glass for a side panel at $60!

Upgrade the H5's fan to the Phanteks PH-F140 HP II, then place Max 120mm fans on the bottom of the case (any fan will do but Phanteks PH-F120MP are very good and virtually silent at low RPM) and at least the single 120mm fan at the rear for exhaust.

In Win 101: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108531

@Damascus is also correct with the Dark Pro 3, very good cooler

Current Build Thread:

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

If you want a really stylish and yet inexpensive case to go with that H5 that also promotes good airflow then have a look at the In Win 101. Very good airflow case for the price, and comes with Tempered glass for a side panel at $60!

Upgrade the H5's fan to the Phanteks PH-F140 HP II, then place Max 120mm fans on the bottom of the case (any fan will do but Phanteks PH-F120MP are very good and virtually silent at low RPM) and at least the single 120mm fan at the rear for exhaust.

I can't get the H5, my ram is too tall, i only just noticed this

3 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

Ya then get the Dark Rock Pro 3, its 120mm smaller front fan compared to the 135mm center fan is designed for height adjustment so it can clear taller RAM modules.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/482

Current Build Thread:

16 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

i think i will go with the Cryorig H5 Ultimate CPU Cooler considering that will cool my CPU and still be okay for minor overclocking. I'm honestly just going to be pushing it a little bit and not to 5 GHz so it will be fine. Also what fan do I replace the H5 with to get better performance? I am just gonna need some help with still a cheap case that still has good airflow! I was looking at the Fractal Design Focus G Case but if i need to I can get rid of my optical drive and get an external if I really have to.

6 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

The Focus G and H5 Ultimate are fine for cooling and there's no need for any aftermarket fans beyond the included ones. 

The H5 Ultimate's fan can be moved to the other side of the heatsink in pull to not overhang the ram. The Universal's fan completely clears the ram when mounted in push or pull.

41 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

I think the H5 would do okay but you will need to upgrade the fan for sure. With the H5 being a 120mm cooler, you will want the Phanteks PH-F120MP or something similar. It MUST be optimized for static pressure to push the air through the cooler effectively.

As I said, the Cougar Panzer Max is the undisputed cooling king and is recommended if you choose to go with the R1 because of the R1's gigantic size. I mean this case and CPU cooler combined can support up to 1360mm worth of fans OR radiators. Its absolutely RIDICULOUS.

EDIT: HINT: R1 = Full Tower Case or Large Mid Tower, build will be more expensive. H5 = More compatibility and convenience and will fit in nearly ALL Mid Tower Cases and will make for a cheaper build but CPU may overheat and throttle if pushed to absolute maximum over clocks.

The H5 Ultimate comes with a 140mm XF140. It performs fine and replacing it with a 120mm or similar 140mm like the PH-F140MP wouldn't make much of a difference in performance. The H5 isn't a very dense heatsink either and doesn't need fans that are heaviliy skewed towards static pressure like the PH-F120MP or SP120.

Getting a better cooler in the first place would be a better investment than replacing the cooler fan.

The Panzer Max performs about as well as any case with multiple 140mm front intakes and a mesh front panel. Granted it comes with more preinstalled fans than most. The Meshify C for example isn't much of a departure from the Focus G and would fit the R1 while being a standard mid tower. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3061-fractal-meshify-c-review-vs-define-c

Even with the R1, the cpu is going to overheat and throttle if you push it too far regardless of the cooler without delidding.

7 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

In Win 101: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108531

The Inwin 101 has worse airflow than the Focus G.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WallacEngineeringi might have to go with the h5 universal instead of the ultimate.

Dude the dark rock 3 is a really solid cooler, I'd just go with it.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/YwGkcf/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk018

3 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Ya then get the Dark Rock Pro 3, its 120mm smaller front fan compared to the 135mm center fan is designed for height adjustment so it can clear taller RAM modules.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/482

i'll go with the dark rock 3 then, is it worth the pro version or? so this dark rock has no limits for ram height ? @Damascus@WallacEngineering

@WallacEngineeringi might have to go with the h5 universal instead of the ultimate.

To be honest the H5 universal wouldnt be the best choice. It comes with a thin fan for the RAM clearance and is that terrible Cryorig fan. Upgrading the fan would then mean blocking the RAM slot again.

This is where the Dark Rock Pro Shines. It cools just as well if not better than any of the H5's thanks to its twin-tower, twin-fan design and the 120mm front fan means tall RAM clearance.

Cryorig shines with the R1 series, it's H5 series are good but the Dark Rocks are better in that size class.

Current Build Thread: