Need some thoughts on cryorig coolers

adzygamer15

Hey guys,

Located: Australia, i shop at pccasegear, scroptec, cetnrecom and newegg

so i need a cpu cooler and i was looking at the cryorig coolers. i was looking at the h5 universal but noticed no where near me sells it and was wondering if the Cryorig H5 Ultimate would be or a better purchase or even the Cryorig H7 and Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi. Also what is Quad Lumi? what's the difference (i'm a noob xD). i don't have a case but i will make sure it all fits after i get what cooler i need. i have a 8600k and would like to do some overclocking to it. cheers

Where are you shopping/located?

The Quad Lumi is an RGB version of the H7. It's a bit different in design but performs similarly. 

The H5 is better than either variants of the H7.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you shopping/located?

The Quad Lumi is an RGB version of the H7. It's a bit different in design but performs similarly. 

The H5 is better than either variants of the H7.

cheers i added that into my og post. what is the main difference between the h5 ultimate and h5 universal? is there a major difference between the h5 models and the h7?

1 minute ago, adzygamer15 said:

cheers i added that into my og post. what is the main difference between the h5 ultimate and h5 universal? is there a major difference between the h5 models and the h7?

The H5 is a larger heatsink with a larger fan. The Universal comes with a 13mm thick fan as opposed to the 25mm on the Ultimate which allows for better ram compatibility at the cost of lowered performance.

Why are you looking at Cryorig coolers in particular? Are you open to alternatives from other manufacturers?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

is there a major difference between the h5 models and the h7?

Short answer: Yes

Cryorig does make good stuffs. If you need cooler recommendations you can check out @WoodenMarker's CPU cooler tier list.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The H5 is a larger heatsink with a larger fan. The Universal comes with a 13mm thick fan as opposed to the 25mm on the Ultimate which allows for better ram compatibility at the cost of lowered performance.

Why are you looking at Cryorig coolers in particular? Are you open to alternatives from other manufacturers?

there isn't a reason for cryorig but if there are other brands that are better and cheaper or not much difference in price please recommend

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Short answer: Yes

Cryorig does make good stuffs. If you need cooler recommendations you can check out @WoodenMarker's CPU cooler tier list.

can i get a link xD i can't find the list 

(found it don't worry)

Just now, adzygamer15 said:

can i get a link xD i can't find the list

It's pinned at the top of the Air Cooling subforum: 

Do you know what ram you're going to be using?

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's pinned at the top of the Air Cooling subforum: 

Do you know what ram you're going to be using?

cheers, i just found it anyways xD i was looking at corsair vengeance rgb ram. CMR16GX4M2C3200C16 to be exact, i must likely will be using this ram

Cryorig is basically the go to Noctua alternative if you don't like brown fans. H7 series is a better Cooler Master 212 Evo that's also shorter. H5 is the step up with either super ram compatible version or higher performance.

Lumi is a bit better than the regular H7, but the price difference isn't worth it unless you need the RGB or already own an H7.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Cryorig is basically the go to Noctua alternative if you don't like brown fans. H7 series is a better Cooler Master 212 Evo that's also shorter. H5 is the step up with either super ram compatible version or higher performance.

Lumi is a but better than the regular H7, but the price difference isn't worth it unless you need the RGB or already own an H7.

i might look at the h5 ultimate for my cooler. sounds good atleast

2 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

cheers, i just found it anyways xD i was looking at corsair vengeance rgb ram. CMR16GX4M2C3200C16 to be exact 

If you're mainly aiming for low noise, the Pure Rock performs slightly worse than the H7 but is much quieter: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/cwPzK8/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

If you mainly want cheap performance, the 612 v2 performs similarly to the H5 Universal: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/WBmxFT/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrh6v213pkr1

The Hans is a slightly cheaper but similar alternative to the H5 Universal if you don't mind the yellow: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Pn648d/reeven-hans-821-cfm-sleeve-bearing-cpu-cooler-rc-1205

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're mainly aiming for low noise, the Pure Rock performs slightly worse than the H7 but is much quieter: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/cwPzK8/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

If you mainly want cheap performance, the 612 v2 performs similarly to the H5 Universal: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/WBmxFT/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrh6v213pkr1

The Hans is a slightly cheaper but similar alternative to the H5 Universal if you don't mind the yellow: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Pn648d/reeven-hans-821-cfm-sleeve-bearing-cpu-cooler-rc-1205

definatly not the hans one, not a fan of that yellow. would get but not for this build anyways ahah. I just want a cooler that performs good and is still quite silent, so will the pure rock or 612 still be quieter and better then the h5 or h7. i saw there was the r1 ultimate or go with the h5 ultimate over that? out of the pure rock, 612, h7, h5 ultimate what would be the quietest and performs the best? 

Ive got the R1 universal. Has potential to be the best air-cooler on the market, but you have to upgrade the fans. Stock Cryorig fans are terrible with static pressure and therefore have a hard time pushing air through the heat sinks.

I fitted my R1 Universal with Phanteks PH-F140 HP II fans and I haven't been able to find a 240mm AIO that can cool the CPU better. The R1 with upgraded fans sits right up there with the exotic air coolers like the Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Edition, and matches even custom water loops if they are only using a single 240mm or smaller radiator. This thing has impressed me beyond any and all expectations that I had for it.

EDIT: Please note that to see cooling results like mine you have to keep this monster fed properly with MAXIMUM case intake fans.

Take note, however, that this cooler is freaking MASSIVE and won't fit in the majority of mid-towers. Full-Tower is almost necessary for this cooler. If you want to see the ultimate air-cooling build, see my signature. 

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

I would strongly consider waiting for the dark rock pro 4 to launch, stealthy black and good performance while being quite quiet.

Other than that more or less every good option aside from phanteks, thermaright and noctua have been covered, all of the aforementioned coolers will do just fine

phtc14pe - Comes in red, white, blue or black

One of the best air coolers ever made.  Limited aussie availability

tisis core - Balling raijintech heatsink, don't know if you can get it in australia

EREBOSS BLACK - also very good

mugen 5 -  great cooler from Scythe but Australia doesn't have it on PCPPer

scythe fuma - This thing is great, triple fan and very quiet while cheap. again no aussie pcpper

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

12 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

have to upgrade the fans

Is this enough senpai?

20180306_020006.thumb.jpg.87dc8dfb3c54312e6bb8c1fa0b3610be.jpg

4800rpm, 180cfm

Though tbh 3x nidec sevro gentle typhoons running at 1850rpm would probably outperform 1 blowymatron.152031973954046084834.thumb.jpg.d59e3a994af3b4d237d2865c2a0201d2.jpg

Shoot, now I want to test that on my nh-d14

11 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

definatly not the hans one, not a fan of that yellow. would get but not for this build anyways ahah. I just want a cooler that performs good and is still quite silent, so will the pure rock or 612 still be quieter and better then the h5 or h7. i saw there was the r1 ultimate or go with the h5 ultimate over that? out of the pure rock, 612, h7, h5 ultimate what would be the quietest and performs the best? 

The H5 Universal's only benefit over the Ultimate is better ram compatibility. 

The 612 v2 isn't very quiet and I wouldn't recommend going with it if you want low noise. 

The R1 Ultimate performs better than anything else mentioned so far but it's not the best value since you can get most of the same performance with cheaper alternatives and the money would've been better put towards a 8700k instead. 

The H5 / H7 are probably the best middle-ground options that perform well and are fairly quiet. Either are good options. The H5 Universal will clear the ram whereas the fan on the H5 Ultimate will either overhang the ram and have to be raised or be mounted on the other side of the heatsink in pull.

The Pure Rock is the quietest of the list but also performs the worst being slightly behind the H7. That doesn't mean it's bad though since it's also the cheapest.

If you want a bit more performance the SR Slim performs a bit better than the H7 and is even quieter than the Pure Rock: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Zr2kcf/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk010

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Is this enough senpai?

Shoot, now I want to test that on my nh-d14

Holy Cow I thought I was fan nuts lol. Yes, you have more than enough firepower, just be sure that if you want to try the R1 that you get a case with MINIMUM 170mm CPU cooler height.

Current Build Thread:

6 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Holy Cow I thought I was fan nuts lol. Yes, you have more than enough firepower, just be sure that if you want to try the R1 that you get a case with MINIMUM 170mm CPU cooler height.

I could fit in my pc-o8 but it would be choked off by the giant sheet of glass (Lian Li, closing off the front since 2015!)  I'll stick with me loop for now though I'll definitely see what cools my 6950x best on the NH-D15 (stock noctua, 2x GT 2150rpm, bloweymatron + stock 140 or 3x 1850 rpm GT)

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I could fit in my pc-o8 but it would be choked off by the giant sheet of glass (Lian Li, closing off the front since 2015!)  I'll stick with me loop for now though I'll definitely see what cools my 6950x best on the NH-D15 (stock noctua, 2x GT 2150rpm, bloweymatron + stock 140 or 3x 1850 rpm GT)

Well your setup sounds more powerful than ANY air cooler anyways. Once you get a triple radiator, water-cooling takes over, with the exception of AIOs. The R1 with upgraded fans does match the Corsair H150i AIO but cant actually outpace it. Noctua fans are already quite powerful so upgrading to Phanteks Fans, even the extreme pressure HP series, wouldn't yield enough of a gain to justify the cost of the fans, I mean they are $20 a piece (I spent $200 on fans for my build LOL)

Current Build Thread:

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

Yes, cryorig makes good stuff. 

What CPU are you trying to cool and are you going to do any OCing?

8600k and yes i am

4 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Well your setup sounds more powerful than ANY air cooler anyways. Once you get a triple radiator, water-cooling takes over, with the exception of AIOs. The R1 with upgraded fans does match the Corsair H150i AIO but cant actually outpace it. Noctua fans are already quite powerful so upgrading to Phanteks Fans, even the extreme pressure HP series, wouldn't yield enough of a gain to justify the cost of the fans, I mean they are $20 a piece (I spent $200 on fans for my build LOL)

Nice, I got away with paying about $8 per gentle typhoon (used for the win) and they, along with a PE 360 are currently cooling my system quite happily.  I'll probably swap the 360 out for 2 240s at some point and put my 2150s back to work

9 minutes ago, adzygamer15 said:

8600k and yes i am

@CUDA_Cores has the right idea here, the Intel hex-cores are freaking hot as hell, you will need a twin-tower cooler for sure. Arctic Freezer Extreme would be the BARE MINIMUM to even think about over clocking. Twin fans and 140mm sized fans would be preferred but most 140mm fan-cooled heat sinks are massive. I would go ahead and choose a style of case and then get back to us, so then we can offer you a suggestion based on clearance.

When selecting a case for air cooling, do your BEST to avoid a tower with a Tempered Glass front panel, as these are notorious for choking off your intake air flow, and will ruin your chances at a good overclock without cooking your 8600K.

For your reference and convenience, I can tell you that I absolutely adore my Cougar Panzer Max for an air cooling build. Its massive and can support any CPU heat sink on the market today, then has 3X 140mm front intake support PLUS another 120mm bottom intake support so long as your PSU is short enough, then its got 3X 140 mm top exhaust support as well as 120mm rear exhaust support. This case is the undisputed Air Cooling KING. The only thing I don't like is that the side panel is acrylic rather than glass.

I do transport this leviathan to my friends houses and it is NOT convenient in any way, shape, or form. Loaded with hardware this case weighs 50 freaking pounds and has a massive footprint so its going to take up space.

If you want a small form factor for overclocking with convenience your only option will be to cool with water.

I would suggest that you pick a case with minimum of 2X 120mm or 140mm front intake fans to effectively get air to your heatsink. From there it is all up to you.

Current Build Thread:

15 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Nice, I got away with paying about $8 per gentle typhoon (used for the win) and they, along with a PE 360 are currently cooling my system quite happily.  I'll probably swap the 360 out for 2 240s at some point and put my 2150s back to work

Well youve got 140mm front fans it looks like, ever thought about the wider 280mm or 420mm rads? They will show a significant boost to cooling especially because of the larger fans being able to push monstrous amounts of air through the radiators.

Current Build Thread:

4 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Well youve got 140mm front fans it looks like, ever thought about the wider 280mm or 420mm rads? They will show a significant boost to cooling especially because of the larger fans being able to push monstrous amounts of air through the radiators.

I actually only own 1 140mm fan, all the rest are 120s.  I'm pretty sure gentle typhoons don't come in 140mm anyways :P I think if I had one of my other favourite cases, the define R6 I'd be running 420 + 280 by my current case, the PC-O8 can't take 140mm.  8 120mm fan spots total but no 140's