Computer keeps shutting down during Stability Test

iHDCool
Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

You know you're not supposed to mix and match memory like that.

I wonder if that's causing you issues.

Try running the test with only or at least 2 of the same type in duel channel mode.

Na, I upgraded this, it worked fine. I tried a memtest like  a week ago for 1h, no issues what so ever, no errors or anything. And I upgraded the RAM in the begining of the jan. I just lowered the temp limit on gpu, hoping that it fixes the problem with psu wondering that it's a power drawing problem. Meanwhile if y'all can link me any cheap quad channel 775 socket mobo and a case for that, or if only just a case BTX in this case. 

1 minute ago, iHDCool said:

Na, I upgraded this, it worked fine. I tried a memtest like  a week ago for 1h, no issues what so ever, no errors or anything. And I upgraded the RAM in the begining of the jan. I just lowered the temp limit on gpu, hoping that it fixes the problem with psu wondering that it's a power drawing problem. Meanwhile if y'all can link me any cheap quad channel 775 socket mobo and a case for that, or if only just a case BTX in this case. 

1 hour isn't actually enough for a memory test. If it's just the regular memory diagnostic memtest in windows, that one almost never turns up anything even if you have a problem.

I suggest using memtest86 on a USB flash drive.

You boot to it and it runs outside of windows.

I let it run for 6 strait hours at a minimum.

I used to think 1 pass was fine until I had an error spit out after 3 hours one time.

There'a a lot of new & used 775 motherboard with ddr3, but most came with only 2 ram slots.

I think you may just run the PSU outside of the box.

Or better, loose the case altogether. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

Here are boards in that socket type:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=13&L=3

None of these are available new of course.

You'd have to buy one used..

then you just need to match what type of board you buy to the case you buy (ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ITX, etc).

You should do your build up in pcpartpicker before buying anything if you're going to do this.

I can't stress enough though.. that I think it's a bad idea and that it's time to save up for an upgrade instead.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

1 hour isn't actually enough for a memory test. If it's just the regular memory diagnostic memtest in windows, that one almost never turns up anything even if you have a problem.

I suggest using memtest86 on a USB flash drive.

You boot to it and it runs outside of windows.

I let it run for 6 strait hours at a minimum.

I used to think 1 pass was fine until I had an error spit out after 3 hours one time.

I ran a memtest86 from USB for 1 hour. I don't quite understand it. It said Pass 0, errors 0. How does it work exactly? Can you explain it to me please? 

http://cosmoscomputerland.com/web/index.php/produkte/power-supply/power-supply-600w-smart.html 

This is a local pc tech shop. The mobos are not worth it I guess, it's 30e for a shit mobo with 2 ram slots, I'd rly like to keep what I got, this psu is 27e, quite good, it says 80+ on the box tho the image is bad quality. 

http://cosmoscomputerland.com/web/index.php/produkte/cases.html

Those are the cases. The second one, wich is 19e, comes with its own PSU but its like a normal oem. 

2 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

I ran a memtest86 from USB for 1 hour. I don't quite understand it. It said Pass 0, errors 0. How does it work exactly? Can you explain it to me please? 

if It said pass 0, then you never even completed 1 test.

It just runs indefinitely.

Pass is the number of times it completed the full round of tests.

Errors is the number of errors you've had.

You want to do at least 3 passes bare minimum and you want 0 errors.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

if It said pass 0, then you never even completed 1 test.

It just runs indefinitely.

Pass is the number of times it completed the full round of tests.

Errors is the number of errors you've had.

You want to do at least 3 passes bare minimum and you want 0 errors.

How much can a pass take? Should I mess around with other settings or just plug it and let it run? 

Also I'm starting to think that my mobo isn't BTX. From what I'm seeing the BTX mobos have like a sideways position of CPU socket. Mine doesn't. 

3 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

http://cosmoscomputerland.com/web/index.php/produkte/power-supply/power-supply-600w-smart.html 

This is a local pc tech shop. The mobos are not worth it I guess, it's 30e for a shit mobo with 2 ram slots, I'd rly like to keep what I got, this psu is 27e, quite good, it says 80+ on the box tho the image is bad quality. 

http://cosmoscomputerland.com/web/index.php/produkte/cases.html

Those are the cases. The second one, wich is 19e, comes with its own PSU but its like a normal oem. 

Can't really say with that case.

No description and the language barrier is preventing me from figuring out what it is or what it's specs are.

Just now, iHDCool said:

How much can a pass take? Should I mess around with other settings or just plug it and let it run? 

Hours. You don't need to do anything.

Just let it run. 

I just set it up and let it run overnight personally.

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

Can't really say with that case.

No description and the language barrier is preventing me from figuring out what it is or what it's specs are.

First one says, Tower cases in good condition without PSU. (they are old ones)

Second one says mini tower with psu.

Third one says just, new case without psu. 

Also I'm starting to think that my mobo isn't BTX. From what I'm seeing the BTX mobos have like a sideways position of CPU socket. Mine doesn't. 

Just now, iHDCool said:

First one says, Tower cases in good condition without PSU. (they are old ones)

Second one says mini tower with psu.

Third one says just, new case without psu. 

Yea, I can't tell what form factor it is though for sure. No real specs listed.

1 minute ago, iHDCool said:

I can't comment on BTX motherboards. I've never even heard of them until today.

14 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

It may not be BTX but the ports are not the same as an ordinary ATX.

An ATX motherboard have the external port (usb/keyboard) on the left, whereas yours is on the right, similar in a btx system.

Its cheaper to buy a $25 PSU + adapter and run in outside of the case.

Make sure it has 400 watt minimum at 80% efficiency.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

It may not be BTX but the ports are not the same as an ordinary ATX.

An ATX motherboard have the external port (usb/keyboard) on the left, whereas yours is on the right, similar in a btx system.

Its cheaper to buy a $25 PSU + adapter and run in outside of the case.

Make sure it has 400 watt minimum at 80% efficiency.

In theory, is there any problem what so ever on running a psu outside the system? Like does it have to stand on anything? Does it need any coverage? If you touch the top part of a psu while it's running, does that cause static shock or anything? 

Just checked in google images and amazon. 99% it's BTX mobo

nope, as long as it properly connected to the motherboad is not going to be a problem.

put the pc horizontally and the psu on the back, slide the power cable through the empty opening from your old psu.

many use a pc even without a case.

Guys I was thinking. Okay so this is how my PSU and HDD look./ You can actually lift the PSU up, to access (remove/add) the hdd. Now the height of the PC is 8cm so that means my PSU fan is 80mm like my cpu fan. What if I re-place the HDD, remove it from there, and try finding a PSU 80mm, good psu, that can fit in that place, like it doenst have to be long all the way but as long as the fan is 80mm I guess the rest will fit, talking about the wide part. What do you think? I guess it's better than leaving outside the case. 

@emosun

@SupaKomputa

@Captain Chaos

and others who know about this stuff. 

image.png.e0501e4816cc0c0d8f9c09df62ca0153.png

I opted out of the thread a while ago so I didn't bother reading up till this point.

But did you try just under clocking the gpu seeing as you're only having a problem in one game?
Did you try different driver versions or an OS refresh?

In my opinion you have the worst case scenario of having a btx sff machine and if you can avoid spending any more money on it you should.

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

I opted out of the thread a while ago so I didn't bother reading up till this point.

But did you try just under clocking the gpu seeing as you're only having a problem in one game?
Did you try different driver versions or an OS refresh?

In my opinion you have the worst case scenario of having a btx sff machine and if you can avoid spending any more money on it you should.

You didn't miss much, I limited the gpu power from 100% to 85%, rn not having any problems, but I was wondering if I can do the solution above.  Or maybe save money for a new pc, but that'd be quite expensive as I need to get new case,psu,mobo, cpu, ram(maybe) and hdd. So basicaly a new pc. 

@emosun

Would it be possible to get a normal tower, and manually drill the holes to correspond to the holes in the motherboard and move out the board? 

You didn't miss much, I limited the gpu power from 100% to 85%, rn not having any problems, but I was wondering if I can do the solution above.  Or maybe save money for a new pc, but that'd be quite expensive as I need to get new case,psu,mobo, cpu, ram(maybe) and hdd. So basicaly a new pc. 

in terms of saving money , i'd say at least avoid spending money on anything that cannot be reused in a brand new configuration.

a case and power supply can be reused , but getting an old 775 motherboard cannot be reused in a newer build. The lowest cost solution to your current problem appears to just be under clocking the gpu slightly as you've found.

You can get a new case/psu/mobo if you want but I'd just run what you have now and save your money for when you absolutely cannot use this current machine anymore.

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

in terms of saving money , i'd say at least avoid spending money on anything that cannot be reused in a brand new configuration.

a case and power supply can be reused , but getting an old 775 motherboard cannot be reused in a newer build. The lowest cost solution to your current problem appears to just be under clocking the gpu slightly as you've found.

You can get a new case/psu/mobo if you want but I'd just run what you have now and save your money for when you absolutely cannot use this current machine anymore.

Okay tbh I plan on using this bulid for quite a while as I'm not planning to do any big upgrades. So theoretically, if i get a 10$ case, manually drill holes for my mobo, get a decent enough (also reusable) power supply and run it, would that work? 

@emosun

Okay tbh I plan on using this bulid for quite a while as I'm not planning to do any big upgrades. So theoretically, if i get a 10$ case, manually drill holes for my mobo, get a decent enough (also reusable) power supply and run it, would that work? 

your board is btx and 100% backward so I'd avoid that , there's no reason to go to so much work.

one thing you COULD do , is simply find the same HP 8000 series machine in a full height config on ebay. since you only need the case it doesn't matter if the machine is not working. That way you'll have a bolt in case that you know will work

but again , that's 10-50$ that is essentially going down the drain on a btx case , just to hold a power supply , that you only need to run the gpu at a 15% higher speed. so keep that in mind.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

your board is btx and 100% backward so I'd avoid that , there's no reason to go to so much work.

one thing you COULD do , is simply find the same HP 8000 series machine in a full height config on ebay. since you only need the case it doesn't matter if the machine is not working. That way you'll have a bolt in case that you know will work

but again , that's 10-50$ that is essentially going down the drain on a btx case , just to hold a power supply , that you only need to run the gpu at a 15% higher speed. so keep that in mind.

im actually worried that because it's just a simple generic oem psu, it may die later and take along with it my whole pc, mostly concerned about the gpu, it cost me quite a bit. 

@emosun

Just now, iHDCool said:

im actually worried that because it's just a simple generic oem psu, it may die later and take along with it my whole pc, mostly concerned about the gpu, it cost me quite a bit. 

@emosun

Well like i said you can go this route if you want you have lots of options laid out.