Computer keeps shutting down during Stability Test

iHDCool

Hello guys. These are my specs: 

Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3Ghz

MSI Gtx 1050 ti 4gb

12 gb ddr3 ram

250gbWD SATA 3 

Hewlett-Packard 3646h (XU1 PROCESSOR) - motherboard

I was about to start a fortnite match when the audio looped/buzzed and my pc turned off, restarting, it didnt boot the first time, then it booted. I downloaded Aida64 as i was supecting the temps to be a problem. 10 mins in the stress test, cpu sitting at 66 degree C with no throttling i think, gpu at 78 degree C and pc restarted. I opened the pc up and cleaned it. Before this I had some problem with the audio and the lag wich I suspected to be CPU but havent really gone after that atm.  Any ideas please? 

Which PSU?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I wouldn't be too worried about the event viewer.  What you are experiencing is typical for a power supply that can't maintain a stable voltage under load anymore.  When the voltage fluctuates too much, it'll eventually become too low for the CPU to keep working, causing a sudden shutdown.  Get that PSU checked for stability and replaced if necessary. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I wouldn't be too worried about the event viewer.  What you are experiencing is typical for a power supply that can't maintain a stable voltage under load anymore.  When the voltage fluctuates too much, it'll eventually become too low for the CPU to keep working, causing a sudden shutdown.  Get that PSU checked for stability and replaced if necessary. 

Are you sure about that? First, I thought my CPU was dying, then I thought my GPU was overheating.. now it might be the psu?

Your CPU has a 95W TDP, under a full load, it will consume more than that. A 1050Ti without 6-pin power consumes about 75W. 

If your parts were exactly to spec, you'd have 70W to spare, but you also lose some to harddisks (~10W each) and the motherboard itself (northbridge, southbridge, etc.) so if the PSU is becoming more unstable, it'll shit itself under a full load. Nothing you can do about this except buying a new case and PSU.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Your CPU has a 95W TDP, under a full load, it will consume more than that. A 1050Ti without 6-pin power consumes about 75W. 

If your parts were exactly to spec, you'd have 70W to spare, but you also lose some to harddisks (~10W each) and the motherboard itself (northbridge, southbridge, etc.) so if the PSU is becoming more unstable, it'll shit itself under a full load. Nothing you can do about this except buying a new case and PSU.

I got only 1 HDD, 1 DVD player thingy. one cpu fan 

The PSU may be borderline in real world minimum maximum power rating.  Take all your components and find their power requirements.  Then, find and apply a recommended PSU power rating buffer.  

The PSU is the most likely culprit.  I've dealt with this kind of problem 3 times now on different PCs (including my own PC last month), and replacing the PSU solved it every time.

Even if the wattage on the PSU is enough, if it's worn or unstable it'll become a problem much before you hit that maximum number.  My 3.5 year old 850W PSU became unstable and started shutting down the PC as soon as I started pulling more than 400W.

Just now, MikeSK said:

The PSU may be borderline in real world minimum maximum power rating.  Take all your components and find their power requirements.  Then, find and apply a recommended PSU power rating buffer.  

Thing is, since it's a small form factor pc, it has a very special psu. Wich means i can only pick up one of those 240w psus. In order to get a new better one, means that I have to change my case, wich prolly means I have to change my mobo wich goes along with the RAM (maybe) and even cpu if not same socket. 

16 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Power-Supply-613663-001-611479-001/dp/B007BBRSCY 

It's exactly like that, on the looks, 240w. It came with the pc. It's a small form factor elite 8000 sff pro or w.e 

HP

Never seen a power supply like that , but yeah that's definitely the problem. You can'y expect a stock power supply like that to work with that hardware under these conditions.

5 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

Thing is, since it's a small form factor pc, it has a very special psu. Wich means i can only pick up one of those 240w psus. In order to get a new better one, means that I have to change my case, wich prolly means I have to change my mobo wich goes along with the RAM (maybe) and even cpu if not same socket. 

Well you're learning real quick why standardization is important in the computer world. Because proprietary systems have limits.

2 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

Your power supply may be failing from the power requirements.  How about removing the extra IO and installing a low powered SSD after replacing the Power Supply?
You could plug in the DVD player when you need it.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

Well you're learning real quick why standardization is important in the computer world. Because proprietary systems have limits.

if you don't care about how the tower looks , you can buy a normal power supply and just run it on the side of the machine with the door open.

Or maybe I can mod it a little, remove the DVD completly, put the HDD in thee and then put a full PSU even tho I highly doubt that'll do cuz its not that wide. I know that this standartization is important, but I currently don't have the money to do that. 

3 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

Or maybe I can mod it a little, remove the DVD completly, put the HDD in thee and then put a full PSU even tho I highly doubt that'll do cuz its not that wide. I know that this standartization is important, but I currently don't have the money to do that. 

I just looked at that power supply and the power connections are also proprietary so you can't even buy or use an aftermarket unit.

Just now, emosun said:

I just looked at that power supply and the power connections are also proprietary so you can't even buy or use an aftermarket unit.

So em what are my choices here? Should I take my PC to a few local shops to see what they say? Are you guys sure about the PSU? If its the PSU indeed what are my choices. I don't have that big of a budget atm. Can I find a new decent case to fit my motherboard with all the stuff that it has and maybe buy a good psu? Anyone?

If your mod ends up with the case having to be left open, the natural flow of cooling air may be disrupted.  A friend of mind place a fan blowing air in to his cases opening to compensate.

5 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

So em what are my choices here? Should I take my PC to a few local shops to see what they say? Are you guys sure about the PSU? If its the PSU indeed what are my choices. I don't have that big of a budget atm. Can I find a new decent case to fit my motherboard with all the stuff that it has and maybe buy a good psu? Anyone?

Anyone please? 

1 minute ago, iHDCool said:

in terms of budget choices you're stuck with a machine that can't use a different power supply so there no reason to move it to a different case. I'd almost say it might work better with a lower end card like 1030 sff. You''l lose some speed but it'll draw less power than the 1050.

Unless you can find someone locally who can solder you up a frankenstien power supply that is both high wattage and uses the same connectors then you might just be SOL. Can also try some basic software fixes like a different OS or different driver versions if you want to see if it does anything.

21 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

No, you'll only have to replace the case if that. There are other small form factor power supplies.

Enter all of your parts into pcpartpicker and then the compatibility filters will tell you what's compatible when you look for a new PSU or case.

That PSU is a disaster waiting to happen anyways.

The PSU is the most important part of your system because it if blows, it can take every other part with it. Do yourself a favour and replace it either way before something worse happens.

Oh, and if you do need to buy a new case, don't worry..

There are tons of cases for like 50 bucks that'll work for this just fine.

Just now, emosun said:

in terms of budget choices you're stuck with a machine that can't use a different power supply so there no reason to move it to a different case. I'd almost say it might work better with a lower end card like 1030 sff. You''l lose some speed but it'll draw less power than the 1050.

Unless you can find someone locally who can solder you up a frankenstien power supply that is both high wattage and uses the same connectors then you might just be SOL. Can also try some basic software fixes like a different OS or different driver versions if you want to see if it does anything.

So you're saying that even if I get another identical power supply, it wont work with my machine? 

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Do yourself a favour and replace it either way.

that power supply is proprietary it's already been established , don't recommend someone buy something they can't even use....

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

No, you'll only have to replace the case if that. There are other small form factor power supplies.

Enter all of your parts into pcpartpicker and then the compatibility filters will tell you what's compatible when you look for a new PSU or case.

That PSU is a disaster waiting to happen anyways.

The PSU is the most important part of your system because it if blows, it can take every other part with it. Do yourself a favour and replace it either way before something worse happens.

Oh, and if you do need to buy a new case, don't worry..

There are tons of cases for like 50 bucks that'll work for this just fine.

Last time I asked at this local pc shop, and i wanna add that he might have tried to trick me, he told me that these small form factor hps can't have their case changed because of their different motherboard types or w.e he said. Is that true or?