Swapping from intel to AMD motheroard. Have a pretty big question!

My current set up has a 1150 socket Asus Motheroard with a 4th gen i5 4590. I want to upgrade it to a AM4 socket board with a R51600. What do i have to do for windows? Meaning can i buy a new copy and load it, or will there be conflicting data left on my Hard drives etc? Id rather not have to build a new PC just to get the updated motheroard. i was told the copy of windows 10 i purchased is limited to 1 motherboard. i figured this wont be a plug and play type deal, and i just want to make sure everything is in order before i pull the trigger. Thanks in advance!

I went from Z97 4790k to Ryzen 1700 on X370 and did nothing with windows, i just swapped the boards and let it re-install.  Had no real issues, but I reinstalled later on as its good practice when swapping major components

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

5 minutes ago, FloodKillaz said:

My current set up has a 1150 socket Asus Motheroard with a 4th gen i5 4590. I want to upgrade it to a AM4 socket board with a R51600. What do i have to do for windows? Meaning can i buy a new copy and load it, or will there be conflicting data left on my Hard drives etc? Id rather not have to build a new PC just to get the updated motheroard. i was told the copy of windows 10 i purchased is limited to 1 motherboard. i figured this wont be a plug and play type deal, and i just want to make sure everything is in order before i pull the trigger. Thanks in advance!

If you have an OEM copy of Windows it is bound to the motherboard however, you can call up Microsoft and sometimes they help you switch the key to the new motherboard (pro tip: if you say the first motherboard broke they usually are far more likely to help you out). There can be problems switching a drive to a new pc so a fresh install is recommended though it should work. 

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

1) back up your data like documents and pictures somewhere else

2) https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

3) https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

4) reinstall your programs

5) move your documents and pictures back to your clean installed drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, TurbulentWinds said:

If you have an OEM copy of Windows it is bound to the motherboard however, you can call up Microsoft and sometimes they help you switch the key to the new motherboard (pro tip: if you say the first motherboard broke they usually are far more likely to help you out). There can be problems switching a drive to a new pc so a fresh install is recommended though it should work. 

This kind of crap is what drives people to just use a cracked/activated copy of Windows. It's not necessarily the price. People don't want to possibly have to buy a new copy of Windows every time they switch hardware.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

9 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

This kind of crap is what drives people to just use a cracked/activated copy of Windows. It's not necessarily the price. People don't want to possibly have to buy a new copy of Windows every time they switch hardware.

you can have your key linked to your microsoft account. I had an ssd and reinstalled windows and when i signed into my account it automatically activated.

hi

Went to try that, and it turns out that my copy of windows wasn't activated. I installed a SSD a few weeks ago, and installed my copy of windows ontro it. I tried adding my included product key, and it says its wrong... So i cant link my account. neat! 

1 minute ago, FloodKillaz said:

Went to try that, and it turns out that my copy of windows wasn't activated. I installed a SSD a few weeks ago, and installed my copy of windows ontro it. I tried adding my included product key, and it says its wrong... So i cant link my account. neat! 

:(

hi

So, my new question is, can i just take the old motherboard out, install the new board and get a new copy of windows 10, and boot from the usb/reinstall and be fine? 

11 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

you can have your key linked to your microsoft account. I had an ssd and reinstalled windows and when i signed into my account it automatically activated.

"Just sell us all your info, let us inject ads into your life, and read your personal data for 'improving our services' and you can avoid having to re-buy a windows key!"

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

25 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

"Just sell us all your info, let us inject ads into your life, and read your personal data for 'improving our services' and you can avoid having to re-buy a windows key!"

srsly? if you are concerned about THAT then windows 10 isn't for you to begin with. 

43 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

srsly? if you are concerned about THAT then windows 10 isn't for you to begin with. 

https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

i ended up ordering a New 2TB HDD and will just reload a new copy of windows on it. It will be like a new PC, without being new. New mobo, R51600, 8g DDR4 and HDD on the way. Thanks for the help!

17 hours ago, FloodKillaz said:

So, my new question is, can i just take the old motherboard out, install the new board and get a new copy of windows 10, and boot from the usb/reinstall and be fine? 

You can just use the old windows key for the new hardware.

I've used the same windows 7 key (with free win10 upgrade) for around 3 major upgrades + 5 motherboard changes.

So its been like almost 8 years and installing win 10 is no problem as the win 7 key is already converted to win 10.

You basically can do anything you liked even changing everything as long as you keep the windows key safe.

If you have any problems just call MS and state that you have a motherboard change.

They'll reset the key and youre good to go.

Note that i have an OEM windows 7 professional key, buy it for cheap online.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

20 hours ago, violentnumeric said:

Um, that's because it's an OEM copy. It's not "crap."

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750