Newegg customers are receiving tax bills from the DRS because Newegg didn't charge them sales tax

Master Disaster
Just now, The Pikachu Mafia said:

How does that invalid what I said? I specifically said Newegg did provide a disclaimer for those 4 states, but not CT 

Does it say it only applies to those states? No. Those states required online retailers to provide information on sales/use tax but not collect the tax themselves.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

The document is, actually, directed specifically at those 4 states and only those 4 states.

46 minutes ago, Thony said:

They care about where u live ? What a BS. Tax should be tied to the place you buy from... The way it is is just confusing AF. I feel sorry for all US citizens who have to calculate their tax everytime before they checkout to actually see how much they pay for something. Sad...

Why should someone have to pay sales tax to a state they don't even live in? I kinda feel more sorry for the UK that has to pay a 20% value tax.

6 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Does it say it only applies to those states? No. Those states required online retailers to provide information on sales/use tax but not collect the tax themselves.

I'm not sure but it doesn't seem legal that Newegg is putting the tax on the customers when CT isn't listed in the disclaimer.

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Why should someone have to pay sales tax to a state they don't even live in? I kinda feel more sorry for the UK that has to pay a 20% value tax.

I'm not sure but it doesn't seem legal that Newegg is putting the tax on the customers when CT isn't listed in the disclaimer.

Have you never done a tax filing before? There is literally a line for reporting out of state purchases. It's perfectly legal despite your opinion.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

The only wrong doing i see Newegg doing here is breach of privacy laws.Canada is the same way in claiming sale tax/tax if your arnt charged you need to claim it.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Then buy from somewhere else with less tax. U have options in US. EU is much smaller...
I cant imagine shopping for groceries and having to calculate tax to find out how much I am going to pay for it...It just doesnt make sense to us. At least here tax is not flexible like in US. We pay 20% like u said, and if goods are imported its up to the seller to include tax in the price of the item so we know what we pay.

Your system is only good for people who are taxfree. They are the only ones who pay what they see on the pricetag.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

In more developing news, Youtuber Jayz2cents is now talking about taxes:

This might become the most boring series of tech videos to ever be published if it becomes a trend.

-------

Current Rig

-------

22 minutes ago, Thony said:

Then buy from somewhere else with less tax. U have options in US. EU is much smaller...
I cant imagine shopping for groceries and having to calculate tax to find out how much I am going to pay for it...It just doesnt make sense to us. At least here tax is not flexible like in US. We pay 20% like u said, and if goods are imported its up to the seller to include tax in the price of the item so we know what we pay.
Your system is only good for people who are taxfree. They are the only ones who pay what they see on the pricetag.

Not really, it's simple math when buying gas and stuff not really that much added to the price, and most other online retailers have tax added up in the subtotal once you add a shipping zipcode anyway.  Most of the US only has Newegg or Amazon,if you're lucky there are Microcenter or Fry's brick & mortar stores.

I've been using Amazon more than Newegg,which charges 7% local use tax so I have no problems with sales tax at all.

The whole use tax thing is stupid. I expect to be boned by every purchase I make, if a website doesn't add it automatically I'm not going to think in my head. "I better make sure the government is getting more from me than what they take out of my paycheck." All online shopping sites should be made accountable, us non-business people don't got time for this type of dumb. Nothing is getting better from taxes, its just paying the ding-a-lings with inflated egos over at sit and get rich quick by doing nothing all day hall.

*stands up in front of the podium as a politician at a local city hall*

*BREATHS IN DEEPLY*
5a9db6a46edf8_NoFeelings.gif.2597a8adb573770aa9b6870c5e9fc68c.gif

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

Newegg hasn't been the same since Paul left.

Isn't it owned by a Chinese company now? I wouldn't trust that site now.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Not really, it's simple math when buying groceries and gas, and most other online retailers have tax added up in the subtotal once you add a shipping zipcode anyway.  Most of the US only has Newegg or Amazon,if you're lucky there are Microcenter or Fry's brick & mortar stores.

I've been using Amazon more than Newegg,which charges 7% local use tax so I have no problems with sales tax at all.

Food is tax free in most states. Gas depends on what level octane it is or if its diesel/e85. I think where I live, Amazon has a 7-9% tax depending on the product. It really isn't hard to calculate before a zip code and you get used to it. It's a lot better than the EU and a lot of the taxes they have in all honesty. 

19 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Have you never done a tax filing before? There is literally a line for reporting out of state purchases. It's perfectly legal despite your opinion.

They also have lines for money laundering, illegal transactions, and the sale of drugs. All of which if you put down they cannot take any legal action against you. Which is very funny. 

1 minute ago, 91wow said:

Food is tax free in most states. Gas depends on what level octane it is or if its diesel/e85. I think where I live, Amazon has a 7-9% tax depending on the product. It really isn't hard to calculate before a zip code and you get used to it. It's a lot better than the EU and a lot of the taxes they have in all honesty. 

Oh yeah oops thankfully food isn't taxed,though for example soda is in some states varies from 5-10 cents depending on the state,yet get that back if you recycle the cans/bottles.

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Not really, it's simple math when buying groceries and gas not really that much added to the price

Not that simplye when all prices are like this "$1.99" instead of "$2" :D that makes maths more difficult for kids lets say.  Anyway thats my view on US tax practices. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

21 minutes ago, Satisfoxy said:

The whole use tax thing is stupid. I expect to be boned by every purchase I make, if a website doesn't add it automatically I'm not going to think in my head. "I better make sure the government is getting more from me than what they take out of my paycheck." All online shopping sites should be made accountable, us non-business people don't got time for this type of dumb. Nothing is getting better from taxes, its just paying the ding-a-lings with inflated egos over at sit and get rich quick by doing nothing all day hall.

*stands up in front of the podium as a politician at a local city hall*

*BREATHS IN DEEPLY*
5a9db6a46edf8_NoFeelings.gif.2597a8adb573770aa9b6870c5e9fc68c.gif

I agree with this wholeheartedly, the idea that every menial purchase you make (say you bought a video game or whatever in New Hampshire and brought it back to your state) is subjected use tax from your home state - and that anything less than scrupulous record keeping is tax evasion - is ridiculous. 

22 hours ago, RKRiley said:

I still get confused by taxes in the US lol, why don't you just pay them automatically(included in the price) on goods?

Like here in the UK, anything you buy the price already has the 20% tax accounted for.

Or am i missing the point and that's what Newegg should have been doing anyway, but they failed to do so?

Because companies like TurboTax exist and lobby to prevent the US from changing its tax code. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Newegg handing over past purchase data? /Paranoia level rises. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

6 minutes ago, Thony said:

Not that simplye when all prices are like this "$1.99" instead of "$2" :D that makes maths more difficult for kids lets say.  Anyway thats my view on US tax practices. 

If food is $1.99 it will always be $1.99. 32 states have no tax on food at all. 6 states tax food at a lower rate than other goods, 4 states tax food at the same rate as anything else but provide credits and rebates to offset it, and 3 states tax food at full with no backing. 

10 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Oh yeah oops thankfully food isn't taxed,though for example soda is in some states varies from 5-10 cents depending on the state,yet get that back if you recycle the cans/bottles.

Yeah, most states tax the plastic and not so much the soda. That's why you can buy glass bottles and they (might) not be taxed.

28 minutes ago, 91wow said:

What am I supposed to try again on? I'm not well versed in all 50 states taxes and literally every state has a different law on these kinds of things. 

You should know your own state's tax laws, that's why they're in the public record. That and Newegg clearly says that purchases aren't instantly exempt from tax just because Newegg doesn't collect it themselves.

8 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

You should know your own state's tax laws, that's why they're in the public record. That and Newegg clearly says that purchases aren't instantly exempt from tax just because Newegg doesn't collect it themselves.

wat, California does have internet sales taxes from businesses inside of state. Newegg and Amazon are both inside my state, same with an Aliexpress office actually. So I am taxed on all purchases on those sites. 

None of those 4 states have anything to do with me in the slightest. So I really don't know where you get off telling me I don't understand my own tax laws no matter how complicated they may be when you are just assuming I live in a random state. And also, the reason why those 4 states don't have to pay taxes from newegg (And they would if newegg had a footprint in the state) is because no warehouses or offices. 

Untitled.png

2 minutes ago, 91wow said:

wat, California does have internet sales taxes from businesses inside of state. Newegg and Amazon are both inside my state, same with an Aliexpress office actually. So I am taxed on all purchases on those sites. 

None of those 4 states have anything to do with me in the slightest. So I really don't know where you get off telling me I don't understand my own tax laws no matter how complicated they may be when you are just assuming I live in a random state. And also, the reason why those 4 states don't have to pay taxes from newegg (And they would if newegg had a footprint in the state) is because no warehouses or offices. 

:facedesk: I was saying you only need to worry about your own state and I wasn't asking you to know all 50 states. To that effect this thread doesn't have anything to do with you according to your logic.

Newegg also doesn't say those are the only 4 states, just that they provide information to the customer as required by those states.

Your state of residence requires that we inform you that although Newegg is not obligated to and does not collect your state’s sales tax, this purchase is subject to your state’s sales tax unless specifically exempt from taxation. A purchase is not exempt from sales tax merely because it is made over the Internet. Your state requires that its taxpayers file a sales/use tax return at the end of the year reporting all non-exempt purchases that were not taxed and pay tax on those purchases.

None of that specifies a state, in the fact the beginning of the first sentence is purposely ambiguous because it applies to all

Residents of Colorado, Louisiana, Vermont and Rhode Island: Please see important sales tax information:

The information in the article is pretty specific about being for those 4 states only. "Your state" isn't ambiguous at all nor was it meant to be, It's referring directly to the states of CO, LA, VT, and RI.

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

:facedesk: I was saying you only need to worry about your own state and I wasn't asking you to know all 50 states. To that effect this thread doesn't have anything to do with you according to your logic.

Newegg also doesn't say those are the only 4 states, just that they provide information to the customer as required by those states.

None of that specifies a state, in the fact the beginning of the first sentence is purposely ambiguous because it applies to all

MOST states DO have an "Amazon Tax" is something you might not be getting. Actually only 5 states in the US have no taxation at all on internet sales. And MOST states require the retailer to do the tax work so that things like what is happening in Connecticut doesn't happen. Only 9 states have laws where regardless of foot print you still have to pay a tax on the sale. 45 states so all but 5 you have to pay taxes from a sale on Amazon. 26 from Newegg. 13 from Ebay.