[Sponsored] Angl3d Ti - Dual Custom Loop EKWB | ASUS ROG | be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | by Zeuligan

Zeuligan

Project Angl3d Ti - Custom PC with dual water cooling loop, vertical GTX 1080Ti sponsored by ASUS ROG, EK Water Blocks, be quiet!, Teamgroup and Enermax. A huge thank you to all of them, making this extraordinary build possible. 

The inspiration started when I created custom gaming PC Zeuligan and instantly fell in love with the design of the GTX 1080 Ti. When ASUS released their new VR headset with the amazing hexagon design I just knew I had to create a build inspired by the two. I also want to create a build that is the opposite of Zeuligan. More tech and modern with harder lines with an a tribute to acrylic.

angl3d-ti-zeuligan-1024x576.png

I'm proud to announce project Angl3d Ti. An almost scary amount of custom acrylic angles combined into what I hope will be an extraordinary custom gaming PC.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-con

The planning, as usual, started in Fusion 360 with endless of drawings and tests. With that many individual pieces there is no room for errors. This is the finished concept sketch of the PSU shroud. My main concern is how I can craft the 118 individual acrylic triangles with angled edges in multiple planes by hand. Hey, who doesn't love a challenge?

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-con

I want to use the fan integrated into the GTX 1080 Ti as an inspiration for a custom front and custom top with visible fans. My concept sketch shows a cut-out from my logo. Might be a sponsor symbol or other solution once in production. But the idea is a visual front fan with a front panel cut out. 

Specifications:

be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA

Intel i7 7700K or 8700K (jury is still out on that one)

ASUS GTX 1080Ti FE

4x 8GB T-Force Delta RGB RAM DDR4

be quiet! Straight Power 11 750w

8x Enermax T.B.RGB 120mm fans

Custom addressable LED strips

Water cooling:

EK-FC GeForce GTX FE - Nickel Water Block

2x EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexi

2x EK-RES X3 250 RGB

2x EK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple)

EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel

EK-HDC Fitting 12mm G1/4 - Black

EK-HD PETG Tube 10/12mm 500mm

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-zeuligan-angl

It is almost a shame to pull that piece of art into pieces, but sometimes you need to break an egg to make an omelette. After Project Zeuligan I know how to fastest do it, so might as well get cracking. Just one last look at that beautiful case.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-01-

Up on the operating table. Time to take this baby apart.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-02-

This is how the inside of the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 looks like without the tempered glass side. Everything is modular and get be taken apart with just screws. No need for a Dremel at this point. Love this case.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-03-

The beautiful brushed aluminium panels detached.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-04-

Never stops amazes me how beautiful a naked computer case can look. Maybe it's just me that is weird. What do you feel about naked chassis?

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-05-

Even with the generous space of the huge be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 it will be a challenge to fit all these amazing products. It has always bean a dream of mine to get EK Water Blocks as a sponsor. Still feels unreal that it's not longer a dream. Thank you ❤️

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-06-

Just as with Project Zeuligan I intend to use the drive cage ladder as a base for fastening an inside wall. But this time I will use it to hold the dual EK-RES X3 250 RGB reservoirs. 

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-07-

220x450mm. Wider and I will overlap the motherboard.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-08-

Leaving some room at the top and bottom for cable routing.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-09-

Included one of the black beautiful EK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple) radiator to ensure that I have enough room between reservoirs and radiator.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-10-

The only thing that is and looks better than an EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexi (incl. pump) is two :) These are the un-sleeved version as I will of course sleeve my own in relation to the color theme. Sleeving will be done with MDPC-X.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-11-

One last measurement to check the position of the pumps. I will need to create my own pump brackets so I can integrate them into the PSU shroud / floor.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-12-

Naked aluminum is sexy :) This is a 4mm thick 60mm wide aluminum beam. It will be the base of the bracket.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-13-

Measuring the middle of the 20mm side aluminum beam that will be part of the pump brackets. Just love having a digital caliper.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-14-

It still amazes me how much fun stuff I can create with my Dremel mounted to the drill press. It is surprisingly accurate if used with patiences. The week spot is as always the shaft of the Dremel that moves.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-15-

Cut the remaining beams and an additional piece of acrylic as top cover. I need the extra height, but also need the top layer to be acrylic as I will combine it with the 118 individual pieces.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-16-

This is my vision for the bracket. Using the bottom fastening holes for the fans to keep it in place. Ok, will need to put this together.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-17-

Something almost sexy about black countersunk hex bolts in naked aluminum. Very satisfied with this solution.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-18-

4 holes, 4 countersunk holes, 4 bolts and 1 sturdy dual pump bracket.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-20-

Positioning the dual EKWB D5 Plexi top pumps to ensure maximum space between them, but with optimum placement on the bracket. The original measurement above was 190mm from the front panel below the radiator to the last bracket hole. I then worked backwards from there.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-21-

Back to the Dremel press after marking out the 8 holes for the pumps.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-22-

Not bad at all. Almost looks like the chassi for a small toy car.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-23-

Added two 5mm acrylic pieces below the bracket to raise the entire height another 5mm. Will be need to match where the PSU shroud / floor needs to be at it's lowest point.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-24-

One last measurement and time to start, what most likely will be an endless amount of time spent in cutting, grinding and fixating the acrylic triangles. Hence the name of the build - Angl3d Ti.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-25-

First cut is the deepest... ;)

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-26.

After some painfully slow and inaccurate attempts to file or sand the triangles sides into proper angles I found a solution that will kick ass. I belt grinder flipped up side down. Only thing to worry about now is my fingertips.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-27-

Suddenly I feel that this almost impossible endever is doable. The speed with the belt grinder was so much higher. Accuracy is still a problem and will be, but I recon I will get a better and better feel for it the more I create.

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-28-

Knife sharp and straight edges. I'm saved...

be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-angl3d-ti-29-

First time pieces fitted to the pump base plate. Both at an angle to each other and the base plate.

It has been a long but very productive day. So amazingly fun to be starting a new project again. This time it feels extra special as I have new friends supporting me. I hope you like what you have seen so far. Please follow the build if you want to see more and I just love to hear your thoughts and get feedback.

Sometimes it ends up just as you hadn't planned and becomes better

Custom gaming PCs and scratch builds - Zeuligan computers

That PSU shroud looks like its gonna be a pain! 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

How do you get pc companies to give you free stuff?

My life

9 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Looks fire fam, gl

Thank you very much :)

9 hours ago, stealth80 said:

That PSU shroud looks like its gonna be a pain! 

Yeah, It might be one of those items that brakes you :D But I just have to try to craft it. Specially by hand. 

9 hours ago, Himommies said:

There is no such thing as free stuff... :)
It's a combination of reach, opportunity, connections, presentability, brand awareness and plain luck. 

15 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Proven history of projects and success/complete. Been able supply traffic to them and basically the right timing - aka where they are in terms of advertising/PR budget

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 hours ago, KrZaj said:

New zeuligan project? Instant follow!

Thank you m8. Much appreciated <3 Will try my best to keep you intrigued ;)

Hecc! 

@KrZaj is right!

Didn't even see it was a zeuligan build!

Loved your be quiet build. Instant follow! 

W H E N   T H E   W O R L D   I S   A G A I N S T   Y O U ,   B U I L D   C O M P U T E R S !

1 hour ago, matias_a_etersen said:

Hecc! 

@KrZaj is right!

Didn't even see it was a zeuligan build!

Loved your be quiet build. Instant follow! 

Thank you so much for both your kind words and your follow. Much appreciated <3

It will be an immense amount of work to finish the custom PSU shroud with its 118 individual angled acrylic pieces. That is also part of the charm of this build. The level of details needed. Only way to reach the end is to start.

angl3d-psu-shroud-be-quiet-dark-base-pro

With the use of Acrifix 116 I fixed 2 triangles on the pump base plate. Each edge needs it's own individual angle to ensure the right shape of the shroud.

Ensuring as versatile visuals as possible I try to alterate the size of each triangle as well. This one has a base of 45mm.

Here is a shot of the angled edge of the third triangle. After sawing each triangle into it's designated shape, I grind each edge straight and proper angled to build the shape. Fixating it with Acrifix 116, wait until it sets (about 5-10min) and start on next.

8 triangles and a few hours later and the base shape starts to reveal itself. As I'm going to paint it black, I don't care about getting Acrifix 116 on the pieces. On the contrary I keep adding Acrifix on the backside of each joint to strengthen the bond.

I cut a plate to sit below the radiator and took a measurement where to mount it on the base pump plate. 30mm to the edge.

Lot's of hours spent already and only 19 triangles created. Very time consuming, but rewarding mod creating this PSU shroud.

Started fixating triangles on my way to the front of the case. Need to ensure that the height of the front triangles stay below the lower edge of the Plexi top of the pumps.

Want to create a front base plate to display the amazing sponsors of the build.

9 additional triangles and a romb later and the front logo plate is joined with the base plate for the pumps. Will need to wait longer for this to set before I move it.

Love the contrast look of the hard edges of the triangles with the smooth roundness of the beautiful EK Water Block D5 Plexi top. Very close, but managed to avoid building to high in the front. 5mm to spare to the bottom of the plexi top.

Somehow this makes me feel about the catamaran. Love how the different angles play with the light. This will look dope in black once finished. Doesn't look like much left, but will take atleast 10-15 more triangles to close the holes and finish part one of the shroud. Plan to build it in two pieces for easier mounting and cable management. Will need to figure out some sort of quick snap lock for that, but not until both parts of the floor is ready. That is MANY hours still :)

Starting to look really good imho, but would love to hear what you feel about it. Please drop a comment below and I will reply as soon as I can.

Holy shit that looks like a whole lot of work! Great job

W H E N   T H E   W O R L D   I S   A G A I N S T   Y O U ,   B U I L D   C O M P U T E R S !

24 minutes ago, matias_a_etersen said:

Holy shit that looks like a whole lot of work! Great job

Thank you m8. Yeah, it's time consuming :) Was really good with the belt grinder, but it literally caught fire a few days ago. Hot metal shot straight out from the side and RIP.

Spent last two days with each triangle pinched between aching fingers while grinding it with a hand file. I counted 13 bleeding cuts after hitting my knuckles with the file. Bloody mod ;)  

11 hours ago, Zeuligan said:

Thank you m8. Yeah, it's time consuming :) Was really good with the belt grinder, but it literally caught fire a few days ago. Hot metal shot straight out from the side and RIP.

Spent last two days with each triangle pinched between aching fingers while grinding it with a hand file. I counted 13 bleeding cuts after hitting my knuckles with the file. Bloody mod ;)  

Wow... Know the feeling... Still have cuts from when I was sleeving my cables several weeks ago! ;) And working with metal sheets and an angle grinder is pretty much a razor blade manufacturings process! :D Good luck with the project!

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of boring you with countless and countless of pictures of triangles I decided to put together a short movie when creating one triangle. At this stage I have spent well beyond 70h sawing, grinding, filing, sanding and combining triangles to create my PSU Shroud for project Angl3d Ti. 

angl3d-ti-psu-shroud-be-quiet-dark-base-

PSU Shroud piece one of two. At this point I am about 80% done.

The plan for the PSU Shroud is to have it divided into two pieces for easier access and management. It is not intended to be crystal clear acrylic finish as I will paint it. Therefor I have rather added extra Acrifix 116 to all the joints to keep it as sturdy as possible.

It is starting to take shape. The lower part of the PSU shroud that will be beneath the EKWB D5 Plexi pumps is more or less done. I will join the upper part as the last part of the PSU shroud. I will also need to fabricate some sort of quick joint between the pieces.

Would love to hear what you think about this...

Looks great!

9 hours ago, matias_a_etersen said:

Looks great!

Thank you m8. Almost strange to see the pictures my self, as my focus has been one triangle at a time :) Last 20% to go and then first of MANY pieces done. Decided to create a full custom exterior. THAT will be a challenge...

2 hours ago, Zeuligan said:

Thank you m8. Almost strange to see the pictures my self, as my focus has been one triangle at a time :) Last 20% to go and then first of MANY pieces done. Decided to create a full custom exterior. THAT will be a challenge...

Holy shit! This build just gets more and more awesome!!

2 hours ago, Drayid said:

Amazing work! Those angles must be a nightmare to cut!

Thank you so much for your kind words and engaging with the build. Much appreciated ❤️

The time laps above is one :) - 3 min movie, but 20min irl. 3 times as fast with the belt grinder before it burned.

• 2 weeks later...

After over 100 hours of hand filing and acrylic focus the base shape of the PSU Shroud for project Angl3d Ti is finished. Managed to create it divided into two pieces without a visible edge.

angled-psu-shroud-finished-02-e152213283

One of the last pieces of the PSU Shroud mod. All 3 sides angled in opposite directions and created with a hand file. I just love working with acrylic. Such a beautiful and exciting material.

angled-psu-shroud-finished-01.jpg

This is how I decided to solve the problem with the edge between the two pieces. A small counter-edge to force the upper piece to snap in place into the lower. Main challenge with this solution was to create a perfect fit, but turned out to work like a charm.

angled-psu-shroud-finished-06-1024x684.j

This is how it turned out. I'm as happy as my fingers hurt :) The white edges is where I filed and combined the pieces together. As I also plan to paint them glossy black, I didn't bother to keep the acrylic spotless. On the contrary. I added lot's of Acrifix 116 in on the backside on all joints and edges to make it as sturdy as possible.

angled-psu-shroud-finished-03-1024x684.j

Both pieces mounted in the case. The shape is so snug it just snaps in place without any mounting screws needed...

angled-psu-shroud-finished-04-1024x684.j

I plan to add a screw in the flat square piece in the upper left, fixating the shroud in the PSU mounting bracket.

angled-psu-shroud-finished-05-1024x684.j

The different angles of the triangles reflects light. Will work even better in glossy black.

A full time lapse of the PSU Shroud creation will be added once it's edited. I got 228gb of footage so almost have equal amount of work editing that as creating the shroud hehehehe...

Next step of the shroud is to sand down all angles individually and ensure that edge edge is super sharp and perfect. Expect that to take 10-20 hours. After that, it's ready for 2 coats of base primer before 3 coats of glossy black and 2 coats of clear varnish.

Man... Painting them must be nerve wrecking! Good luck with the rest of the project! Looking forwsrd to that video ;)

7 hours ago, Zeuligan said:

-Snip-

That's some serious dedication right there! The shroud looks incredible as is, I cant wait to see it painted! :) 

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med

9 hours ago, matias_a_etersen said:

Man... Painting them must be nerve wrecking! Good luck with the rest of the project! Looking forwsrd to that video ;)

Not as nerve wrecking as sanding it down ;) Will update once the video is done...

3 hours ago, Voxels-Box said:

That's some serious dedication right there! The shroud looks incredible as is, I cant wait to see it painted! :) 

Thx m8. Much appreciated. Hard to spot the edge?

3 minutes ago, Zeuligan said:

Thx m8. Much appreciated. Hard to spot the edge?

Its definitely hard to spot the edges. If Im being super nit picky, there appears to be a thin sliver of a gap between the two pieces, at the back left (camera view) of the aluminum mount for the pumps.  But that is a very minor thing, and wouldnt detract from the shroud overall!

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med