How to upgrade hp pro 6300 MT power supply or HP Elite 8200 sff (fix)

first of all thankyou for this topic..

using a microtower 6300 hp system myself, and my powersupply doesnt have any sata power connectors, there are only 2 lanes of sata powers 2 connectors each. but these lanes come from motherboard directly and not from psu. so is it ok to power a gpu using 2x sata to 6 pin from motherboard ?.

next question . if i power my gpu which is just a gtx760  via 2x sata to6 pin connector do i have to use both lanes or can i just run it on a single lane. because if use both lanes where would i connect my hard disk and ssd from, or can i power my hdd n ssd from the lanes im using sata connector fo gpu ??

34 minutes ago, na33m said:

first of all thankyou for this topic..

using a microtower 6300 hp system myself, and my powersupply doesnt have any sata power connectors, there are only 2 lanes of sata powers 2 connectors each. but these lanes come from motherboard directly and not from psu. so is it ok to power a gpu using 2x sata to 6 pin from motherboard ?.

next question . if i power my gpu which is just a gtx760  via 2x sata to6 pin connector do i have to use both lanes or can i just run it on a single lane. because if use both lanes where would i connect my hard disk and ssd from, or can i power my hdd n ssd from the lanes im using sata connector fo gpu ??

1. yes

2. use 1 lane and leave the other lane to the SSD and HDD.

i7-8700K l MSI RX 580 8GB ARMOR MK2 MSI - Z370 KRAIT GAMING l G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR4-3200 l Inland 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD Scythe FUMA Rev. B l EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze Certified l Asus VG248QE 144Hz l Zowie FK2 Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X l Phanteks P300 Tempered Glass l Corsair Gaming K70 RAPIDFIRE l windows 10.

• 1 month later...

Do I still need to plug in a 4pin to the cpu, or will it work with out it?

3 hours ago, jackismyname said:

Do I still need to plug in a 4pin to the cpu, or will it work with out it?

The CPU gets power from the 4 pin power connector. so, it needs to be plugged in otherwise, the PC would not boot.

i7-8700K l MSI RX 580 8GB ARMOR MK2 MSI - Z370 KRAIT GAMING l G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR4-3200 l Inland 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD Scythe FUMA Rev. B l EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze Certified l Asus VG248QE 144Hz l Zowie FK2 Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X l Phanteks P300 Tempered Glass l Corsair Gaming K70 RAPIDFIRE l windows 10.

My 24-pin to 6-pin adapter cable had completely different wire colours than was described in the original post so I had to compare the order of the wires in the before and after pictures. Here is what I used to get it working on my HP 6200, it might help.hp-6200-psu-rewire.jpg

Hello Guys I Just bought a HP Compaq Pro 6300 MT and I am waiting delivery for it, but it is without a power supply. So I wanted to ask If you still need the original HP PSU in order to run the PC using this method, because i saw pictures of the PC running from both PSUs. Is it possible to run this PC only with a normal PSU for example an EVGA 500W. Or should i just get another motherboard as it seems easier?

6 hours ago, Imsomadbg said:

Hello Guys I Just bought a HP Compaq Pro 6300 MT and I am waiting delivery for it, but it is without a power supply. So I wanted to ask If you still need the original HP PSU in order to run the PC using this method, because i saw pictures of the PC running from both PSUs. Is it possible to run this PC only with a normal PSU for example an EVGA 500W. Or should i just get another motherboard as it seems easier?

LGA 1155 motherboards from brands like Asus, MSI, ASRock are expensive and not worth it imo. Also, only HP motherboards can fit in that HP chassis. 

So, the only option you have is to buy that $10 adapter in order to use the PC with an aftermarket PSU. 

14 hours ago, FPS god said:

LGA 1155 motherboards from brands like Asus, MSI, ASRock are expensive and not worth it imo. Also, only HP motherboards can fit in that HP chassis. 

So, the only option you have is to buy that $10 adapter in order to use the PC with an aftermarket PSU. 

Okay Thank you :) Hopefully I'll wire the cables correctly. And do you know if normal sized GPUs fit in the case, as the CPU cooler looks to be in the way a little bit from the pictures. I want to buy a used GTX970 or GTX770 or best case scenario i will save up and buy a GTX1060, but I don't know if I should look for the Mini versions of the 1060 or 970 or should a normal size fit?

1 hour ago, Imsomadbg said:

Okay Thank you :) Hopefully I'll wire the cables correctly. And do you know if normal sized GPUs fit in the case, as the CPU cooler looks to be in the way a little bit from the pictures. I want to buy a used GTX970 or GTX770 or best case scenario i will save up and buy a GTX1060, but I don't know if I should look for the Mini versions of the 1060 or 970 or should a normal size fit?

A single fan card would be more ideal but normal sized GPUs can fit in there too. As long as it's not a triple slot card or anything ridiculous like that, you'll be fine. https://www.google.com/search?q=التعديل+على+كيسه+hp+pro+6300+mt&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO0__I-fffAhUnqlkKHeOyCIUQ_AUIDigB&biw=1366&bih=631#imgrc=cgIi7Rq6-gSxUM: 

I recommend buying a new RX 570, it's the best bang for your buck card right now and it can be found for the price of a used 970. 

7 hours ago, FPS god said:

A single fan card would be more ideal but normal sized GPUs can fit in there too. As long as it's not a triple slot card or anything ridiculous like that, you'll be fine. https://www.google.com/search?q=التعديل+على+كيسه+hp+pro+6300+mt&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO0__I-fffAhUnqlkKHeOyCIUQ_AUIDigB&biw=1366&bih=631#imgrc=cgIi7Rq6-gSxUM: 

I recommend buying a new RX 570, it's the best bang for your buck card right now and it can be found for the price of a used 970. 

That picture looks like a tight fit :D:D And sorry for writing again. The PC just came today and it did come with a 320watt HP power supply (on the item description it said it is without a power supply) And wanted to ask if the original one is reliable, and if it will run OK with a 1050ti as it only requires 75watts of power and the 320watt should in theory be enough, as my budget is not really big and want to save up money wherever possible.

P.S. I was honestly surprised that it came with a power supply for the price i paid for it, 55 GBP or 70$ with an I5 3470 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD. I was hesitant at first about the no PSU problem but i guess it was in vain :D

5 hours ago, Imsomadbg said:

That picture looks like a tight fit :D:D And sorry for writing again. The PC just came today and it did come with a 320watt HP power supply (on the item description it said it is without a power supply) And wanted to ask if the original one is reliable, and if it will run OK with a 1050ti as it only requires 75watts of power and the 320watt should in theory be enough, as my budget is not really big and want to save up money wherever possible.

P.S. I was honestly surprised that it came with a power supply for the price i paid for it, 55 GBP or 70$ with an I5 3470 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD. I was hesitant at first about the no PSU problem but i guess it was in vain :D

I wouldn't recommend a GTX 1050 ti to anyone, it has nearly half the performance of an RX 570 while costing more. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1blVVZqg4RE 

If you're worried that the RX 570 won't fit, buy a GTX 1060 3GB Mini. The price difference between a GTX 1050ti and a GTX 1060 3GB is around $20. Also, since the GTX1060 is more power efficient than the RX570, you don't have to buy a new PSU, your 320W PSU will run it fine. All you need is a dual SATA to 6 pin cable, here is a quick explanation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkmsLxnCfrQ

quick question, so after a little more than a month with the new psu, i've noticed the heatskrinked part of the adapter gets extremely hot to the touch after it running for 2-3 hours. Should I be worried?

the adapter i bought (if that helps)

other than that, my pc still runs great. I'm just worried that I'm gonna end up frying my motherboard

28 minutes ago, i use arch btw said:

quick question, so after a little more than a month with the new psu, i've noticed the heatskrinked part of the adapter gets extremely hot to the touch after it running for 2-3 hours. Should I be worried?

the adapter i bought (if that helps)

other than that, my pc still runs great. I'm just worried that I'm gonna end up frying my motherboard

I don't think it should be getting that hot, are you sure you wired the cables correctly? Remove the heat-shrink tubing and inspect the adapter and see if anything looks wrong, then wrap it back up with some electrical tape. What kind of PSU and GPU are you running?IMG_20181025_133327.jpg

11 hours ago, FPS god said:

I don't think it should be getting that hot, are you sure you wired the cables correctly? Remove the heat-shrink tubing and inspect the adapter and see if anything looks wrong, then wrap it back up with some electrical tape. What kind of PSU and GPU are you running?

the psu i'm using is a thermaltake smart 500w, and gpu is a 1070 mini.

pics of the adapter and how it was repinned: https://imgur.com/a/xQsxxFW

4 hours ago, i use arch btw said:

the psu i'm using is a thermaltake smart 500w, and gpu is a 1070 mini.

pics of the adapter and how it was repinned: https://imgur.com/a/xQsxxFW

Your adapter is wired in a completely different way? I wonder if that exposed wire on the back isn't what causing it to get hot. your adapter on that website says it can support up to 1000W, so I don't know what's going on. You can inspect each wire that goes to that tiny board from the PSU and see if the voltages are correct(12v, 5v, ground) or buy another adapter from somewhere else if you don't mind dropping another $10. Also, make sure the hard drives are receiving power directly from the PSU and not from the motherboard, in case they were making the adapter pull too much voltage.

16 minutes ago, FPS god said:

Your adapter is wired in a completely different way? I wonder if that exposed wire on the back isn't what causing it to get hot. your adapter on that website says it can support up to 1000W, so I don't know what's going on. You can inspect each wire that goes to that tiny board from the PSU and see if the voltages are correct(12v, 5v, ground) or buy another adapter from somewhere else if you don't mind dropping another $10. Also, make sure the hard drives are receiving power directly from the PSU and not from the motherboard, in case they were making the adapter pull too much voltage.

the only thing the motherboard was powering was the cpu fan and pcie wifi card. i just ordered this adapter since in the pictures the board looked identical to the one you sent. it should be arriving on the 23rd, so i hope to come back with good news.

7 minutes ago, i use arch btw said:

the only thing the motherboard was powering was the cpu fan and pcie wifi card. i just ordered this adapter since in the pictures the board looked identical to the one you sent. it should be arriving on the 23rd, so i hope to come back with good news.

? Good luck

On 1/20/2019 at 5:18 PM, FPS god said:

? Good luck

Good news- the AYA adapter doesn't heat up.

Something I've noticed with the COMeap adapter was that the yellow and black wires were swapped (https://imgur.com/a/b0njPK6) which might have caused the massive amount of heat.

1 hour ago, i use arch btw said:

Good news- the AYA adapter doesn't heat up.

Something I've noticed with the COMeap adapter was that the yellow and black wires were swapped (https://imgur.com/a/b0njPK6) which might have caused the massive amount of heat.

?

HI,

i have an European HP 8200 Elite Microtower and wanted to swap out the PSU for a better graphics card.

i ordered an adapter and tried everything in this thread but i cant get it to work proper. Tried various combinations on the smaller 6-pin cable. 

My last attempt was to repin it according to my pictures. You can unpin everything and just keep the green cable in position 1 and my 8200 is doing this:

As soon as i turn on the PSU all my fans are spinning, the SSD and HDD are getting powered on and everything is "under voltage". But to start the computer i have to press the start button and then it is starting like a normal computer.

Doesnt matter where i put the other 3 cables, i'll always end up with the behaviour above. As soon as i pin the green cable to another one of the 6 pins nothing is working anymore.

Can somebody aware me on how i have to repin my 6 pin cable to get it to work? 

@i use arch btw: can you send me a picture where you point out where the 4 cables from your 6-pin are going on the 24 pin? Thanks!

Sorry for my very bad english, non native speaker here =(

Here is where my cables are going on the 24-ATX:

Yellow: Pin 8
Black: Pin 18
Red: 17
Green: 16

20190125_233912.jpg

20190125_233917.jpg

20190125_233920.jpg

20190125_233925.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, FPS god said:

A normal length GPU (2 fan) cannot fit in there unless its SINGLE slot.  The CPU cooler will block this application.  I have the HP Pro 6300 MT completely modded the F out.  Best GPU you can put in it with the stock PSU (320w lite on) is a GTX 1060.  After that you have to upgrade PSU with the above cablemod.  If you replace the CPU cooler with an AIO (can put an asetek 92mm as intake, Im thinking of doing it for fun) or something that will give clearance than you can add the longer cards.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 hours ago, 8k00 said:

HI,

i have an European HP 8200 Elite Microtower and wanted to swap out the PSU for a better graphics card.

i ordered an adapter and tried everything in this thread but i cant get it to work proper. Tried various combinations on the smaller 6-pin cable. 

if my configuration didn't work for you, try this. 

or this 

3 hours ago, FPS god said:

if my configuration didn't work for you, try this. 

or this 

isnt working either...

the computer is starting when i repin the green cable (PS ON) from the adapter to the pin1 from the P2.
then i even can leave the other 3 cables unpinned and the computer is working (with the mentioned strange behaviour mentioned above).

As soon as i repin the green cable to anything else it isnt working anymore, no matter what "pin config" i am trying =(

3 hours ago, 8k00 said:

isnt working either...

the computer is starting when i repin the green cable (PS ON) from the adapter to the pin1 from the P2.
then i even can leave the other 3 cables unpinned and the computer is working (with the mentioned strange behaviour mentioned above).

As soon as i repin the green cable to anything else it isnt working anymore, no matter what "pin config" i am trying =(

So, the computer is working fine when the green cable is in pin number 1 of that p2 connector according to this? hp-6200-psu-rewire.jpg

in both of those videos that I've linked, the green cable is attached to pin 1 too. so, did you insert the remaining cables according to those videos and it still didn't work? can you send pictures of what's working and what's not? 

7 hours ago, FPS god said:

So, the computer is working fine when the green cable is in pin number 1 of that p2 connector according to this? hp-6200-psu-rewire.jpg

in both of those videos that I've linked, the green cable is attached to pin 1 too. so, did you insert the remaining cables according to those videos and it still didn't work? can you send pictures of what's working and what's not? 

In both of those videos that you've linked the cable isnt in the pin 1?!
In the first video you can even see a pinout diagram where the green cable is going to pin 3...

i put a picture online where you can see what is working, the only important thing is that the green cable is in pin 1, other than that i can do what i want or dont even put it in and the stuff is working :D

20190126_193833.jpg